Is the Battle Royale format a good idea?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Is the Battle Royale format a good idea?

Post by omaro34 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:38 am

Ki Breaker wrote:
omaro34 wrote:We just see background explosions, and fighters just standing around.
Yeah, z was awesome!
Z is over 20 years old lol, I expect progress in 2 decades, not making the same mistakes.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:43 am

omaro34 wrote:
Ki Breaker wrote:
omaro34 wrote:We just see background explosions, and fighters just standing around.
Yeah, z was awesome!
Z is over 20 years old lol, I expect progress in 2 decades, not making the same mistakes.
A man of knowledge once said

If it ain't broke, don't fix it :wink:
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:57 am

Ki Breaker wrote:
omaro34 wrote:
Ki Breaker wrote: Yeah, z was awesome!
A man of knowledge once said

If it ain't broke, don't fix it :wink:
Exactly. Dragonball Z's tendencies (well some of them) are like wine. The older the better.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

TheZFighter
Regular

Post by TheZFighter » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:22 pm

I think it is a great idea and I have been looking forward to it for ages. I just feel, as with many things in the entire Dragon Ball franchise, it just may not be implemented as well as it could be.
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.

Shinda Forever
Temporarily Banned

Post by Shinda Forever » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:35 pm

I think it was a terrible idea, it would be much better if universes could fight against each other like in the exhibition tournament where Goku, Majin Boo and Gohan faced the trio of dangers. Now, compare those fights with the ones in the battle royale format. The exhibition matches were much better.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:19 pm

Yeah this format don't work,is because they have 80 characters, fighting at once ,this was not a good idea,I'm not liking how is structured,too many fodder character at once resulting artificial tension with our heroes holdings back like idiots and is kinda dull like the empty shot of the arena,maybe it will get better as time progresses but as of right now I'm not impressed by it,they could have take this alternative
    [spoiler]Format:8 universe will be participating but only two can figth at a time,so basically 10v10 or lower,the rule are the same but the arena will be different,Zeno's will change the arena and it will be big like a forest,a colleseum,etc if you win you reach the semifinals.
      The top 4 universe that won their will all face each other in a 40 person battle royal,this format works because
        A)it will show how intimidating the pride troopers are by letting dominate someone in the 10v10 match
          B)it will focus on the universe a bit more instead of what where getting like imagine a 10v10 with u3 vs 6 with no goku or someone from u7. And it will make the final bout with the 4 universe more emotional because we saw their struggles on the top 8[/spoiler]or have it structured like the dark tournament like how fadded explained
          Last edited by The gr on Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
          Mostly active on discord.

Lord Beerus
          Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:55 pm

Considering the amount of fighters, yes. I think this was the best format. And for the most part it is working well. There are are some moments which are a bit unusual such as the rocks and small mountain appearing from nowhere and the ring suddenly becoming barren. But I understand the angle they are going for with this. They want certain characters to have their space so they can have their moment and not get interrupted.

I also have to say that the retrospective we see of how big characters are compared to how large the stage is, something made especially clear in Episode 100, really emphasizes the sense of scale for the tournament.

Yedis
          Beyond Newbie

Post by Yedis » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:57 pm

If it was a one on one tournament half the fighters would be eliminated off screen.

SaiyanGod117
          Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:40 pm

dbs fanboy wrote:
          SaiyanGod117 wrote:
          precita wrote:They should have had the battle take place on a planet, similar to the Supreme Kai planet in the Buu saga, so it would make sense that you don't see characters constantly fighting and characters can go off and hide, etc.
          I would of like this and the planet could have been home to various types of powerful creatures and monstrosities, along with extremely sporadic weather patterns and extreme weather conditions.
          What about something like the Hunter exam from Hunterx Hunter? Like a mix between that forest full of beasts and the island were they had to take the tags.
          Particularly that sounds good too, I could imagine like each tag being on a heavily guarded place by strongest creatures in the multiverse. Correspondingly each team would have to use strength as well as wits. But to be honest, I was thinking more of just putting the fighters on a planet with the attributes I mentioned before and just add killing. Although, adding an objective could be more entertaining and rewarding in retrospect.

dbs fanboy
          Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:27 am

SaiyanGod117 wrote:
          dbs fanboy wrote:
          SaiyanGod117 wrote: I would of like this and the planet could have been home to various types of powerful creatures and monstrosities, along with extremely sporadic weather patterns and extreme weather conditions.
          What about something like the Hunter exam from Hunterx Hunter? Like a mix between that forest full of beasts and the island were they had to take the tags.
          Particularly that sounds good too, I could imagine like each tag being on a heavily guarded place by strongest creatures in the multiverse. Correspondingly each team would have to use strength as well as wits. But to be honest, I was thinking more of just putting the fighters on a planet with the attributes I mentioned before and just add killing. Although, adding an objective could be more entertaining and rewarding in retrospect.
          Having and interesting character ala Hisoka would be cool as well, but no, the big bad is Jiren. Seriously i'd prefer Toppo, Toppo is thousands times better and more likeable and he already has an story with Goku.That's a plus.
          I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote: