How much more polarizing can Super get?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

How much more polarizing can Super get?

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:07 pm

As we all know, Super is a very polarizing series. There's a lot of fans that love this series, a lot of fans that hate it, and some fans that are in the middle.
Two prime examples of this are Episode 66, and Episode 100, the recent one.
There were a lot of fans that loved 66, because of the animation and Vegetto's kickass moments. And then there were a lot of fans that hated 66, because of Vegetto's time limit, and the "asspull" Genki Dama Sword.
Same thing with Episode 100, a lot of fans loved that, and hated it. It's very polarizing.
And I'm just wondering, "How much more polarizing can Super get"? You guys' thoughts on the polarization of Super?
Caulifla best girl! :)

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: How much more polarizing can Super get?

Post by Ki Breaker » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:12 pm

Well for one it could start world war 3 with some rocking genki swords and others throwing katchin around..
If polarizing is what you want, this seems to be the theoretical limit..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:48 pm

Who says those moments are polarising? The Trunks moment in #66 has 1,091,760 views on YT the the like to dislike ratio is 4094:197. Does not seem much polarising to me, a lot of people seem to overwhelmingly love it! That is the closest thing we have to gauging whether something is well received or not and it seems it is.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:03 pm

The only truly polarizing thing that might happen, since none of the main cast will die permanently, is having characters break up their marriages or ships.

I also await the fandom reaction when Caulifa and Kale are finally confirmed to be lesbian lovers. I fully expect them to have their ship confirmed by the end of this arc.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:08 pm

If Zack Snyder gets involved (I personally like his stuff but I know he's a lightning rod) or Superman guest stars and kills Goku. Either one of those two would fucking break the fandom into smithereens.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:14 pm

Hm, a realistic example is Freeza "turning good" since he's back now. But thankfully I don't think that will happen. I am curious what they'll do with Freeza after the tournament.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:16 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Who says those moments are polarising? The Trunks moment in #66 has 1,091,760 views on YT the the like to dislike ratio is 4094:197. Does not seem much polarising to me, a lot of people seem to overwhelmingly love it! That is the closest thing we have to gauging whether something is well received or not and it seems it is.
I disagree because as humans we are less likely to seek things we dislike out. Because I dont like that scene I'm much less likely to be viewing it on youtube period. That impacts the ratio.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:23 pm

GodKaio-Ken wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Who says those moments are polarising? The Trunks moment in #66 has 1,091,760 views on YT the the like to dislike ratio is 4094:197. Does not seem much polarising to me, a lot of people seem to overwhelmingly love it! That is the closest thing we have to gauging whether something is well received or not and it seems it is.
I disagree because as humans we are less likely to seek things we dislike out. Because I dont like that scene I'm much less likely to be viewing it on youtube period. That impacts the ratio.
Regardless, like I said it is the only way to gauge.

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:27 pm

precita wrote:The only truly polarizing thing that might happen, since none of the main cast will die permanently, is having characters break up their marriages or ships.

I also await the fandom reaction when Caulifa and Kale are finally confirmed to be lesbian lovers. I fully expect them to have their ship confirmed by the end of this arc.
Too bad it ain't gonna happen

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:36 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:ISuperman guest stars and kills Goku. Either one of those two would fucking break the fandom into smithereens.
Shit dude, no need to go that far.....

The Earth would implode if such thing happened.
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote:

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:48 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
GodKaio-Ken wrote:
Regardless, like I said it is the only way to gauge.
Take the comment section make two bucket, one filled with positive review and one with negative review and you have another way to gauge.

Then with the negative review and the dislike you make an average note same for the likes and positive/good comments.
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:39 pm

I think if Super where to take elements of GT, particularity SSJ4, and retooled and re-branded them in Super, especially if Super goes beyond EOZ, it would fracture many parts of the fandom.

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:57 pm

Haha. I can guarantee you with certainty that people did not overwhelmingly love that moment. If it was so overwhelmingly loved, people wouldn't be calling it controversial to begin with. A sample size of ~4300 people isn't really indicative of much either. Especially given the fact that any and every single Dragon Ball clip uploaded to Youtube will be upvoted. I've even seen videos that are like 90% upvoted yet all the top comments are just hating and shitting on Super.
precita wrote:I also await the fandom reaction when Caulifa and Kale are finally confirmed to be lesbian lovers. I fully expect them to have their ship confirmed by the end of this arc.
I hope that was sarcasm. If not, I'm 100% ready to take you up on that bet.

Super will forever be polarizing, and I'm positive that nostalgia only has a little bit to do with it. The writers just do not handle things well sometimes, and the entire idea of having a Broly clone that can stand up to SSB Goku was the stupidest fucking idea in the world, I don't care who wrote it. Honestly just the Broly clone part enough is stupid, throw in her walking through an SSB Kamehameha solely for the sake of recreating a movie scene instead of thinking about how it makes sense and you have stupidity mounted on stupidity.

Some people want consistency, other people don't care for consistency. That will pretty much always be why Super is polarizing.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:03 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:I think if Super where to take elements of GT, particularity SSJ4, and retooled and re-branded them in Super, especially if Super goes beyond EOZ, it would fracture many parts of the fandom.
They've already put in Luud, might as well put in 4 too. If this thing can pander to Broly people, it can pander to us GT people too.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:10 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:I think if Super where to take elements of GT, particularity SSJ4, and retooled and re-branded them in Super, especially if Super goes beyond EOZ, it would fracture many parts of the fandom.
They've already put in Luud, might as well put in 4 too. If this thing can pander to Broly people, it can pander to us GT people too.
I don't know if a lot of the causal fanbase even remember what Luud looks like. But a lot of the fandom know of SSJ4 in some capacity.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:14 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:
I don't know if a lot of the causal fanbase even remember what Luud looks like. But a lot of the fandom know of SSJ4 in some capacity.
My point still stands: if you can bring everyone with the beginnings of taste to near death from the Broly horseshit with Kale, you can throw the GT people a bone with a new rendition of 4.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:34 pm

Short answer: Heroic Freeza.

Longer answer: Making everything in Super meaningless by using the super dragon balls to unwish everything that happened just so EoZ and GT make sense again. The ultimate reestablishing of the previous status quo.

That would be a big sticking it to the viewers because it would make all that time they spent getting involved wasted.

It's not impossible. I think a few 1980's U.S. shows pulled that stunt. Dallas and Newhart? They're both before my time and I've never seen either, but I've seen articles that've talked about such things.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:05 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote: They've already put in Luud, might as well put in 4 too. If this thing can pander to Broly people, it can pander to us GT people too.
My point still stands: if you can bring everyone with the beginnings of taste to near death from the Broly horseshit with Kale, you can throw the GT people a bone with a new rendition of 4.
I don't think the bone would be well received if SSJ4 was redesigned in any way. People REALLY like SSJ4 because of its design, so if they were going to put SSJ4 into Super and modify the way it looked, people would be pissed. I'd be pissed too.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:26 pm

Put simply: Quite a lot.
The other replies should give you a rough idea on how it can be done, but Super can get more polarising by
  • Breaking up pairings (Quite a lot of people were mighty angry at 18's comment in Episode 100. That should be a good indicator.)
  • Going into GT territory (A lot of people are happy Super doesn't use GT's concepts and would like it to stay that way.)
  • Phasing out characters (Replacing characters such as Gohan, Vegeta or dare I say Goku himself would not go over well.)
  • Making movie content canon (Berserk Kale has shown us this.)
That's off the top of my head, but I'm certain more points can be added.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:25 pm

Asura wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote: I don't know if a lot of the causal fanbase even remember what Luud looks like. But a lot of the fandom know of SSJ4 in some capacity.
I don't think the bone would be well received if SSJ4 was redesigned in any way. People REALLY like SSJ4 because of its design, so if they were going to put SSJ4 into Super and modify the way it looked, people would be pissed. I'd be pissed too.
I like the concept of the SSJ4 but not his design and I can show many fanart who did a better job to portray what I believe would be a better Zaru Saiya-jin. Personnally Dragon Ball can function like Star Wars, takes from the movies / videogames / Dragon Ball GT character or idea from and retool them for the Canon. (see my connection with Star Wars here)
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu