"Dragon Ball Super" Crunchyroll Home Release Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Re: Guessing Funi's Super Home Release Schedule/Covers

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:30 am

Kinokima wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Welp. Looks like no DBS Part 3 in January :(

I am so disappointed. Maybe they pushed it back a month for some reason :(
It seems they essentially used January to release most of their Crunchyroll backloge.

Anyway FUNi and their long running shows don't have a great history of keeping consistent schedules.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:45 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Kinokima wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Welp. Looks like no DBS Part 3 in January :(

It seems they essentially used January to release most of their Crunchyroll backloge.

Anyway FUNi and their long running shows don't have a great history of keeping consistent schedules.
Well, it all depends. If their shows are newly dubbed & are released on home media soon afterwards, then they can fall into schedule slips, or a lack of consistency. Kai TFC didn't matter because it was already 2 years too late & it's just a recut of Z, so that was already material that every fan had seen already, just with a better dub, so it didn't matter. They might've also wanted to get those sets out because of Super's sets starting soon after, which makes even more sense. However, they don't wanna get the home media sets out for Super until several weeks after Toonami's broadcasted the episodes, probably helped by the contract they have with them. Seeing as they have 12-14 episodes a set, this makes sense.
However, if you look at the shows that don't air on TV before they're released, like One Piece, they can get almost a hundred episodes out a year in the sets. It all has to do with the circumstances around the shows.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:22 pm

Scsigs wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Kinokima wrote:

Well, it all depends. If their shows are newly dubbed & are released on home media soon afterwards, then they can fall into schedule slips, or a lack of consistency. Kai TFC didn't matter because it was already 2 years too late & it's just a recut of Z, so that was already material that every fan had seen already, just with a better dub, so it didn't matter. They might've also wanted to get those sets out because of Super's sets starting soon after, which makes even more sense. However, they don't wanna get the home media sets out for Super until several weeks after Toonami's broadcasted the episodes, probably helped by the contract they have with them. Seeing as they have 12-14 episodes a set, this makes sense.
However, if you look at the shows that don't air on TV before they're released, like One Piece, they can get almost a hundred episodes out a year in the sets. It all has to do with the circumstances around the shows.

This set should only have been up to episode 39 right? By January Toonami should already be well past that episode.

Bryesque
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bryesque » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:16 pm

mecha3000 wrote:James Marsters' Zamasu (if he hasn't been replaced like Hit)
Scsigs wrote:I have confirmation from a person in another thread who talked to another person in that thread who saw a bit of footage at a closed screening thing that was held recently that Marsters is still Zamasu & is a lot better than Xenoverse 2, which wasn't hard to do really.
:o

...this is actually the first I'm hearing of this. Amazing!! I'm a long-time huge Buffy fan, and I've got a lot of respect for how he tried to salvage his "Evolution" role (in vain, but still), so I'm glad he's getting another opportunity to leave a mark on the series.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:43 am

Bryesque wrote:
Scsigs wrote:I have confirmation from a person in another thread who talked to another person in that thread who saw a bit of footage at a closed screening thing that was held recently that Marsters is still Zamasu & is a lot better than Xenoverse 2, which wasn't hard to do really.

...this is actually the first I'm hearing of this. Amazing!! I'm a long-time huge Buffy fan, and I've got a lot of respect for how he tried to salvage his "Evolution" role (in vain, but still), so I'm glad he's getting another opportunity to leave a mark on the series.
Yeah have to give him so much respect how desperate he is to make up for it (even though he was by far the best part of the film). He went to Sabat back in December for help doing a voice reel but secretly wanted a role in DBS even small to make up for DB:E and he landed a big one! I have no doubt in my mind he is gonna knock it out!

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:58 am

Wait Marsters is playing Zamasu? Wow that is awesome

Bryesque
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bryesque » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:29 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Bryesque wrote:

Yeah have to give him so much respect how desperate he is to make up for it (even though he was by far the best part of the film). He went to Sabat back in December for help doing a voice reel but secretly wanted a role in DBS even small to make up for DB:E and he landed a big one! I have no doubt in my mind he is gonna knock it out!
I am very pleased with all of this. :)

I actually own Xenoverse 2 but haven't had a chance to really play it, so I didn't realize he played Zamasu in that game already. I checked out some clips, and... yeah, it's far from his best work, but I can still hear the potential in it. And if he's been talking/working with Sabat since, I'm sure he'll make turn out something special for the show.

mecha3000
Regular

Re: Funimation's Dragon Ball Super Home Release Thread

Post by mecha3000 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:29 pm

Alright, I decided to update this thread's title so it could better reflect what the thread's purpose could be. For those (like myself) interested in the Funimation releases, this thread could be used to update people on release information. I mean, I know there's the Funimation dub thread - but sometimes, I feel it's not reliable enough for immediate information regarding releases. So yeah, this thread is just here as another way to reveal information so I'll try to update it - but I also ask that others bring information they know about future releases if I'm not aware of such information.

Here's an updated guess schedule that has the episode numbering fixed to be 13 episodes a set as someone pointed out I had the numbering wrong. This is for the parts and possible season sets of Super.

Part Sets:

Dragon Ball Super: Part One (SSG Goku) Ep. 1-13 RELEASED July 25, 2017
Dragon Ball Super: Part Two (Golden Frieza) Ep. 14-26 RELEASED October 3, 2017
Dragon Ball Super: Part Three (SSB Vegeta?) Ep. 27-39 releasing February 2018???
Dragon Ball Super: Part Four (SSB Goku?) Ep. 40-52 releasing May 2018???
Dragon Ball Super: Part Five (SSRage Future Trunks vs. Rose Goku Black?) Ep. 53-65 releasing August 2018???
Dragon Ball Super: Part Six (Vegito Blue?) Ep. 66-78 November 2018???
Dragon Ball Super: Part Seven (Ultimate Gohan?) Ep. 79-91 releasing early March 2019???
Dragon Ball Super: Part Eight (SS Caulifla and Berserk Kale?) Ep. 92-104 releasing late June 2019???
Dragon Ball Super: Part Nine (Ultra Instinct Goku?) Ep. 105-117 releasing mid-September 2019???
Dragon Ball Super: Part Ten (???) Ep. 118-130 releasing early December 2019???

I decided not to include an eleventh set because we still have no idea if Super will continue past 133 episodes and if not, Funimation would just include the last three episodes on Part Ten.

Possible Season Sets:

Dragon Ball Super: Season One (SSG Goku?) Ep. 1-26 releasing ???
Dragon Ball Super: Season Two (SSB Goku and SSB Vegeta?) Ep. 27-52 releasing ???
Dragon Ball Super: Season Three (Vegito Blue?) Ep. 53-78 releasing ???
Dragon Ball Super: Season Four (Ultimate Gohan?) Ep. 79-104 releasing ???
Dragon Ball Super: Season Five (Ultra Instinct Goku?) Ep. 105-130

I decided not to include a possible Season Six set because we still have no idea if Super will continue past Episode 133 and if this is not the case, Funimation would just include the last three episodes on the Season Five set - just like they would do with Part Ten.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:08 am

mecha3000 wrote: Possible Season Sets:

Dragon Ball Super: Season Two (SSB Goku and SSB Vegeta?) Ep. 27-52 releasing ???
Dragon Ball Super: Season Five (Ultra Instinct Goku?) Ep. 105-130
If we go off of One Piece & Fairy Tail's collection set release dates, they seem to release either after a a year & a few months after the second part sets they contain, or in between the two parts' release dates, just a year later.
Collection 20 of One Piece released 9/19/17, while Season 8 Voyages 2 & 3 that it contains released 7/26/16 & 9/20/16 respectively, while Collection 21's gonna come out 12/5/17 & its Voyage sets, 4 & 5, came out on 11/8/16 & 12/19/16 respectively.
Fairy Tail's, however, fluctuate a bit. Collection 9 came out on 8/15/17 (though it was later delayed 2 weeks due to a packaging error that caused them to have to replace all of the shipments, since they had Collection 10's discs instead for some reason), while parts 17 & 18 came out on 9/23/15 & 12/1/15 (almost 2 years later to the release date of 17). Meanwhile, Collection 10 is coming out on 10/24/17 while parts 19 & 20 came out on 3/22/16 & 7/24/16 respectively (a year & 3 months after 20 came out).
Then if you wanna get more precise, Kai's part 1 & 2 sets came out on 5/18/10 & 9/14/10 respectively, while Season 1 came out on 10/18/11, though it had to be fixed because they still had Kenji Yamamoto's music still on the discs & the rerelease came out with Season 2 on 3/15/12, which came out a little over a year after part 4. Seasons 3 & 4 came out around a week before the 1-year anniversaries of parts 5 & 7 respectively.
Following this trend, we can logically assume that Super will follow the same exact model. Season 1 I will expect around late-July to early October 2018, if not some time in between those dates. Maybe August or September. Apply this line of thinking to the other parts once we get release dates & that's when they'll most likely come out. Simple really.

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:33 am

Kinokima wrote:Vegeta is on the cover and it’s out Feb 20th

https://fandompost.vbulletin.net/forum/ ... per-part-3
Damn, my bad. I said I would update this thread whenever new info came out and I never replied to the new info you provided. Thanks, and once again - My bad. I'll try to do better next time in regards to Part 4. But yeah, I just wanted to update this thread to reflect the new knowledge that Super will be ending with Episode 131, which means we're most likely getting ten part releases and five season set releases. So, based on this estimate - Super should be ending on Toonami in fall 2019 with the final home release coming out in late 2019 or early 2020. So yeah, enjoy the ride while it lasts, folks.

Part Sets:

Dragon Ball Super: Part One (SSG Goku) Ep. 1-13 RELEASED July 25, 2017
Dragon Ball Super: Part Two (Golden Frieza) Ep. 14-26 RELEASED October 3, 2017
Dragon Ball Super: Part Three (SSB Vegeta) Ep. 27-39 releasing February 20, 2018
Dragon Ball Super: Part Four (SSB Goku?) Ep. 40-52 releasing May 2018???
Dragon Ball Super: Part Five (SSRage Future Trunks vs. Rose Goku Black?) Ep. 53-65 releasing August 2018???
Dragon Ball Super: Part Six (Vegito Blue?) Ep. 66-78 November 2018???
Dragon Ball Super: Part Seven (Ultimate Gohan?) Ep. 79-91 releasing early March 2019???
Dragon Ball Super: Part Eight (SS Caulifla and Berserk Kale?) Ep. 92-104 releasing late June 2019???
Dragon Ball Super: Part Nine (Ultra Instinct Goku vs Jiren?) Ep. 105-117 releasing mid-September 2019???
Dragon Ball Super: Part Ten (Ultra Instinct Goku and Beyond Blue Vegeta?) Ep. 118-131 releasing early December 2019???

Possible Season Sets:

Dragon Ball Super: Season Two (SSB Vegeta?) Ep. 27-52 releasing ???
Dragon Ball Super: Season Five (Ultra Instinct Goku?) Ep. 105-131 releasing ???

Bullza
Banned

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Home Release Thread

Post by Bullza » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:31 am

I find it hugely frustrating with how the releases line up with the episodes.

The first set ended at Episode 13 which was one episode away from the finale of the Goku vs Beerus fight being wrapped up and the entire saga.

The second set ended at Episode 26 which was one episode away from the finale of the Goku and Vegeta fight with Frieza being wrapped up and the entire saga.

The third set will end at Episode 39 which is one episode away from Goku and Hits being wrapped up and the conclusion of the Tournament.

Even the fifth set will likely end at Episode 65 which is just one episode away from the conclusion of the fight with Merged Zamasu and Trunks cutting him in half.

The first set should have had 14 episodes and then none of this would have happened.

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:50 am

Bullza wrote:I find it hugely frustrating with how the releases line up with the episodes.

The first set ended at Episode 13 which was one episode away from the finale of the Goku vs Beerus fight being wrapped up and the entire saga.

The second set ended at Episode 26 which was one episode away from the finale of the Goku and Vegeta fight with Frieza being wrapped up and the entire saga.

The third set will end at Episode 39 which is one episode away from Goku and Hits being wrapped up and the conclusion of the Tournament.

Even the fifth set will likely end at Episode 65 which is just one episode away from the conclusion of the fight with Merged Zamasu and Trunks cutting him in half.

The first set should have had 14 episodes and then none of this would have happened.
Yeah, it's annoying but apparently it's a marketing tactic to get people to purchase the next release to see the conclusion of the arcs. Also, I posted this late last night so I'll post it again for others to see. This is how many releases we are now seemingly going to get for Super in "part" and "season" releases from Funimation. Based on this estimate, Super will be ending in Fall 2019 on Toonami and its last home release will be in December of next year. So yeah, enjoy the ride while it lasts folks. Maybe, if we're lucky - A new series will come next year and run parallel to Super ending on Toonami.

Part Sets:

Dragon Ball Super: Part One / Ep. 1-13 RELEASED July 25, 2017
Dragon Ball Super: Part Two / Ep. 14-26 RELEASED October 3, 2017
Dragon Ball Super: Part Three / Ep. 27-39 RELEASING February 20, 2018

Dragon Ball Super: Part Four / Ep. 40-52 releasing May 2018???
Dragon Ball Super: Part Five / Ep. 53-65 releasing August 2018???
Dragon Ball Super: Part Six / Ep. 66-78 November 2018???
Dragon Ball Super: Part Seven / Ep. 79-91 releasing March 2019???
Dragon Ball Super: Part Eight / Ep. 92-104 releasing June 2019???
Dragon Ball Super: Part Nine / Ep. 105-117 releasing September 2019???
Dragon Ball Super: Part Ten / Ep. 118-131 releasing December 2019???

Possible Season Sets:

Dragon Ball Super: Season One / Ep. 1-26 releasing ???
Dragon Ball Super: Season Two / Ep. 27-52 releasing ???
Dragon Ball Super: Season Three / Ep. 53-78 releasing ???
Dragon Ball Super: Season Four / Ep. 79-104 releasing ???
Dragon Ball Super: Season Five / Ep. 105-131 releasing ???

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:03 pm

So has anyone else from UK ordered Super Part 2 and still not had it? It apparently released on January 29th but both the site I ordered it on and Base.com still say awaiting stock.

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:25 pm

Welp, no Super Part 4 for May so I'm going to have to update my estimates to reflect this change (http://www.fandompost.com/2018/02/15/fu ... ase-slate/).

Man, Funimation NEEDS to ditch the 13 episode rule and take a page out of Viz's book with the Hunter x Hunter Set 3 release. I mean, it feels like they're dragging Super's release schedule out longer so they can milk it longer, especially since the show is going to be ending in Japan. But yeah, how about with get 20 episodes a set instead of 13? I know it wouldn't mesh well with Funi's Season Set plans (more money for them for releasing the same thing once again), but they could always just release 28-30 episodes to make up for it. And that would at least ease the pain because I'm getting tired of being bound to Toonami's scheduling when it comes to the dub. Back in the day, didn't Z release FASTER than Cartoon Network's airings? Why is it reversed in 2018?

Anyway, for anyone who's interested - Here's my updated estimated schedule based on what we know now (not that it means too much when Funimation doesn't stick to their schedule, but it's rough estimate based on a 3 month gap):

Dragon Ball Super: Part Four (SSB Goku?) Ep. 40-52 releasing June 2018???
Dragon Ball Super: Part Five (SSRage Future Trunks vs. Rose Goku Black?) Ep. 53-65 releasing September 2018???
Dragon Ball Super: Part Six (Vegito Blue?) Ep. 66-78 December 2018???
Dragon Ball Super: Part Seven (Ultimate Gohan?) Ep. 79-91 releasing March 2019???
Dragon Ball Super: Part Eight (SS Caulifla and Berserk Kale?) Ep. 92-104 releasing June 2019???
Dragon Ball Super: Part Nine (Ultra Instinct Goku vs Jiren?) Ep. 105-117 releasing September 2019???
Dragon Ball Super: Part Ten (Ultra Instinct Goku and Beyond Blue Vegeta?) Ep. 118-131 releasing December 2019???

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:04 pm

mecha3000 wrote:Man, Funimation NEEDS to ditch the 13 episode rule and take a page out of Viz's book with the Hunter x Hunter Set 3 release. I mean, it feels like they're dragging Super's release schedule out longer so they can milk it longer, especially since the show is going to be ending in Japan. But yeah, how about with get 20 episodes a set instead of 13? I know it wouldn't mesh well with Funi's Season Set plans (more money for them for releasing the same thing once again), but they could always just release 28-30 episodes to make up for it. And that would at least ease the pain because I'm getting tired of being bound to Toonami's scheduling when it comes to the dub. Back in the day, didn't Z release FASTER than Cartoon Network's airings? Why is it reversed in 2018?
You clearly have no idea about how this is supposed to work, do you?
1. Anime releases, unless they're rereleases, dub only, are an American-only remaster, or released WAY after the series was released in Japan, are ALWAYS done in 12-13 episode batches if it's a longrunning series.
2. The Japanese companies always have them do their releases at least several months after theirs because of reverse importation concerns because American prices are always cheaper than theirs. Certain exceptions lie Resurrection F are made sometimes, but this is the standard.
3. The sets always have around the amount of episodes the Japanese ones to, which is about 12-13 depending on the show & studio. Viz obviously got permissions for Sailor Moon & Hunter X Hunter, since one's an older property with a botched remaster (though Crystal's arcs are short enough to get their own single volumes each) & one took forever to get an English dub.
Plus, Viz rarely does rereleases unless it's either been a while or they can get some amount of money out of them, so doing over 20 episodes a set right from the get-go is good for them. FUNi does rereleases ALL THE TIME, so it's nothing to either wait for the better sets, like I do, or just get the volumes when they're initially released. It satisfies both the hardcore fans who can't wait for the releases to get out fast enough & the ones on a budget who can bare waiting for the later releases.
4. FUNi's contract with Toei forces them to wait until after a certain amount of episodes air for Dragon Ball. Obviously an exception was made for Kai: TFC since for one, the content is, literally, just a recut of DBZ with over 20 episodes worth of filler excised from it, which has been around for years now, & the only incentive is a better English dub than Z's, plus a remaster that sucks, but is a LOT better than FUNi's terrible remasters. If you want more episodes per set, that would force them to wait until more episodes air.
5. This isn't like Z, where Toei was just happy to be getting the episodes & merchandise out, plus they didn't care about home media in their own country. Times have changed, piracy & reverse importation are things, & they're actually worried about them. Toei are also VERY behind in terms of their standards & practices. It took them well over a year to get the series simulcasted on streaming sites & they force their distributors of DB to get a TV deal before they can dub & release the episodes in their countries. Do you REALLY think they'd let FUNi release MORE episodes earlier than they have?
6. Actually think about this for a second. 13 episodes is 4 months & a week at the very least, combined with any skipped weeks that Toonami or Adult Swim may devote to something else Having FUNi release more episodes per set would make them wait MORE time to release them on home media. You're not actually thinking all this through. Wait the appropriate amount of time & we'll get the sets.

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:50 am

Scsigs wrote:You clearly have no idea about how this is supposed to work, do you?
1. Anime releases, unless they're rereleases, dub only, are an American-only remaster, or released WAY after the series was released in Japan, are ALWAYS done in 12-13 episode batches if it's a longrunning series.
2. The Japanese companies always have them do their releases at least several months after theirs because of reverse importation concerns because American prices are always cheaper than theirs. Certain exceptions lie Resurrection F are made sometimes, but this is the standard.
3. The sets always have around the amount of episodes the Japanese ones to, which is about 12-13 depending on the show & studio. Viz obviously got permissions for Sailor Moon & Hunter X Hunter, since one's an older property with a botched remaster (though Crystal's arcs are short enough to get their own single volumes each) & one took forever to get an English dub.
Plus, Viz rarely does rereleases unless it's either been a while or they can get some amount of money out of them, so doing over 20 episodes a set right from the get-go is good for them. FUNi does rereleases ALL THE TIME, so it's nothing to either wait for the better sets, like I do, or just get the volumes when they're initially released. It satisfies both the hardcore fans who can't wait for the releases to get out fast enough & the ones on a budget who can bare waiting for the later releases.
4. FUNi's contract with Toei forces them to wait until after a certain amount of episodes air for Dragon Ball. Obviously an exception was made for Kai: TFC since for one, the content is, literally, just a recut of DBZ with over 20 episodes worth of filler excised from it, which has been around for years now, & the only incentive is a better English dub than Z's, plus a remaster that sucks, but is a LOT better than FUNi's terrible remasters. If you want more episodes per set, that would force them to wait until more episodes air.
5. This isn't like Z, where Toei was just happy to be getting the episodes & merchandise out, plus they didn't care about home media in their own country. Times have changed, piracy & reverse importation are things, & they're actually worried about them. Toei are also VERY behind in terms of their standards & practices. It took them well over a year to get the series simulcasted on streaming sites & they force their distributors of DB to get a TV deal before they can dub & release the episodes in their countries. Do you REALLY think they'd let FUNi release MORE episodes earlier than they have?
6. Actually think about this for a second. 13 episodes is 4 months & a week at the very least, combined with any skipped weeks that Toonami or Adult Swim may devote to something else Having FUNi release more episodes per set would make them wait MORE time to release them on home media. You're not actually thinking all this through. Wait the appropriate amount of time & we'll get the sets.
"You clearly have no idea how this is supposed to work, do you?" But yeah, I hear your reasons and appreciate the explanation but I don't care about the contracts and what not. This is 2018, not the '90s. TV is not the big draw it used to be in the digital age, which is why I wish we could've gotten a simuldub AND Toonami airing like Black Clover. I also wish Funi was able/allowed to get these releases out faster, but it's not going to happen so, whatever.

supersaiyandoctor
Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyandoctor » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:08 pm

Do you think the Season sets will have any changes compared to the Part sets?

Like potentially having the intro dubbed? Strange the endings are dubbed but the intro isn't.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:43 am

supersaiyandoctor wrote:Do you think the Season sets will have any changes compared to the Part sets?

Like potentially having the intro dubbed? Strange the endings are dubbed but the intro isn't.
Most likely they'd use the Engrish version that Toonami's using, but I doubt it. The discs they use for the seasons/collections are exactly the same discs from the parts/volume sets with different disc arts. Unless it's straight-up a new release, don't expect them not to be.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:51 pm

Well I have no idea what's going on over in the UK because Super Part 2 was said to be released on January 29th and I still haven't had my product dispatched and Base.com doesn't seem to have it in stock either.

I have no idea what's going on.