Why it's okay for Vegeta to get eliminated early.

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lapislettuce
Banned

Why it's okay for Vegeta to get eliminated early.

Post by Lapislettuce » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:47 pm

So i'm gonna specify that this isn't hate or anything i don't hate Vegeta and i feel neutral towards him, so i feel like people don't want Vegeta to get eliminated early in the tournament and i don't understand why ? Vegeta as a side character had a great deal of screen time and cool moments in every arc compared to all the other supporting characters, Vegeta always shines the most after Goku, so why is it not okay for this arc to make an exception ? especially if he goes down after a cool moment or two ?

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Re: Why it's okay for Vegeta to get eliminated early.

Post by Marlowe89 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:58 pm

I quite like Vegeta, but I do understand the sentiment. Just because he's one of Universe 7's strongest fighters doesn't necessarily mean he'll be one of the last ones to go out. If anything, having him be among the first to lose in the tournament could bolster any sort of unpredictability going on in the arc.

Of course, that doesn't mean he'll take a loss so soon for sure. I wouldn't personally mind it though.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:01 pm

Vegeta definitely should go down early, and I think he's going down third after Tenshinhan if the ending is any indication.

His character wouldn't be wasted either because he already did so much. He fought alongside Goku and eliminated all of Universe 9, we saw him take on Botamo/Magnetta for a while, we saw him fight some random characters in the background and now he's fighting Brianne.

KingKaash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KingKaash » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:07 pm

This is the one time for me personally I think it's ok for Vegeta to lose early. Because we have such a big supporting cast that can pick up the slack of losing a main character like Vegeta, namely Frieza, Gohan and Android 17. Normally if this was one of those Goku & Vegeta vs villain fights and Vegeta got beat down quickly then I think we'd all grow tired of Goku lasting way longer fighting against the villain with Vegeta sidelined.

I also think it'd be nice to see Vegeta win this whole ToP because how often do we see Vegeta save everyone? But of course that is extremely unlikely.
"Gohan, let it go. It is not a sin to fight for the right cause. There are those who words alone will not reach. Cell is such a being. I know how you feel Gohan, you are gentle, you do not like to hurt. I know because I too have learned these feelings. But it is because you cherish life that you must protect it. Please drop your restraints. Protect the life I once loved. You have the strength, my scanners sensed it..." -Android 16

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:58 pm

Hell no seriously people drop it

Mercenary
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mercenary » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:03 pm

I wouldn't mind Vegeta winning the tournament (VERY unlikely to happen) and I also wouldn't mind Vegeta to get elliminated early.

Of course, the first version won't happen so why I would also like Vegeta to get so elliminated early?

It would be good for his character development. Maybe finally he would realize that he can't be reckless and conceited guy every time. His character development was wasted at some point. Wasted since the tournament had started and since Vegeta got too COCKY. He saw his son's world disappear right? So why the hell he can't realize how big is stake this time? After experiencing firsthand the terror of Zeno destroying Universe?

I just hope he will beat the crap out of Rebrianne and it would be also nice to see him beating Hit and that's surely enough for Prince as for this arc.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:11 pm

pacz360 wrote:Hell no seriously people drop it
There's no real incentive story wise for Vegeta to get far in this tournament. Everything is pointing toward him getting an early fall.

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:26 pm

precita wrote:
pacz360 wrote:Hell no seriously people drop it
There's no real incentive story wise for Vegeta to get far in this tournament. Everything is pointing toward him getting an early fall.
Like what exactly? Some shitty ass theory you and others keep pushing as definite?
Vegeta is fighting for his wife and newborn child that's all he needs to go far in the tournament

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:27 pm

But Vegeta never mentions them. Likewise it's not so much Vegeta himself, but him taking out is a serious blow to U7 being one of the strongest fighters there, and his loss will probably make Gohan, Piccolo and the others really start to get more serious and realize how high the stakes are.

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:28 pm

Mercenary wrote:I wouldn't mind Vegeta winning the tournament (VERY unlikely to happen) and I also wouldn't mind Vegeta to get elliminated early.

Of course, the first version won't happen so why I would also like Vegeta to get so elliminated early?

It would be good for his character development. Maybe finally he would realize that he can't be reckless and conceited guy every time. His character development was wasted at some point. Wasted since the tournament had started and since Vegeta got too COCKY. He saw his son's world disappear right? So why the hell he can't realize how big is stake this time? After experiencing firsthand the terror of Zeno destroying Universe?

I just hope he will beat the crap out of Rebrianne and it would be also nice to see him beating Hit and that's surely enough for Prince as for this arc.
Vegeta knows what's at stake and he hasn't been careless so far if anything goku been the careless one

Mercenary
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mercenary » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:29 pm

pacz360 wrote:
Mercenary wrote:I wouldn't mind Vegeta winning the tournament (VERY unlikely to happen) and I also wouldn't mind Vegeta to get elliminated early.

Vegeta knows what's at stake and he hasn't been careless so far if anything goku been the careless one
You may be right but Goku has the plot armor. Vegeta not.

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:34 pm

precita wrote:But Vegeta never mentions them. Likewise it's not so much Vegeta himself, but him taking out is a serious blow to U7 being one of the strongest fighters there, and his loss will probably make Gohan, Piccolo and the others really start to get more serious and realize how high the stakes are.
So what gohan hasn't even mentions videl nor pan once in the tourney yet we know he's fighting for there sake
Plus you can find other ways to create tension that doesn't involve taking vegeta out early in the game.

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:35 pm

Mercenary wrote:
pacz360 wrote:

You may be right but Goku has the plot armor. Vegeta not.
Vegeta has been number 2 guy behind goku ever since bog

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:37 pm

I don't know what to think of Vegeta this arc. The writing for him has been all over the place lately. I don't know if I want him to be kicked out early or not.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:23 pm

For story sake it would be foolish for Vegeta to be eliminated early.
It must keep up the theme of Goku's rival.
Getting knocked out early would not exemplify that.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:17 am

I would accept Vegeta's early withdrawal from the tournament with open arms. He's already been instrumental in the downfall of Universe 9 and is poised to fight U2's most famed competitor next episode. If you want to push it further, I think someone mentioned Toshio confirming that Vegeta would have a rematch with Hit. How much more can be allocated to his character before it starts to interfere with the scraps left for the humans and Piccolo? Already Goku seems to be gravitating towards just about every major confrontation in every episode. Some concessions need to be made or it'll all devolve back into Goku and Vegeta centralising the events around themselves, or at least them being involved with fights that otherwise may have no connection to them.

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:56 am

Miracles wrote:For story sake it would be foolish for Vegeta to be eliminated early.
That hasn't been a focused theme for sometime now. The show itself promotes him as Goku's "eternal rival" but doesn't actually portray him as a rival worth taking seriously.

Regardless, I wouldn't mind Vegeta leaving early, but nothing points to him leaving early at all besides some people's theories on why they think he should leave early. I honestly don't see him losing unless he gets a double KO with Hitto, an underhanded tactic involving Freeza in some way, or just getting his shit pushed in by Jiren and all of those three possibilities I don't see happening until fairly late in this tournament.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:59 am

Jigurashi wrote:
Miracles wrote:For story sake it would be foolish for Vegeta to be eliminated early.
That hasn't been a focused theme for sometime now. The show itself promotes him as Goku's "eternal rival" but doesn't actually portray him as a rival worth taking seriously.

Regardless, I wouldn't mind Vegeta leaving early, but nothing points to him leaving early at all besides some people's theories on why they think he should leave early. I honestly don't see him losing unless he gets a double KO with Hitto, an underhanded tactic involving Freeza in some way, or just getting his shit pushed in by Jiren and all of those three possibilities I don't see happening until fairly late in this tournament.
We just had Goku try and goad Vegeta into going training with him for the TOP.
Goku saying how he would surpass Vegeta. Vegeta refused cause he was waiting for his baby.
The rivalry has always been there throughout Super.
Last edited by Miracles on Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

dragon boss z
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by dragon boss z » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:24 am

I don't think he is going early, but I don't think he will be one of the last fighters either. I think Goku, Frieza, and Gohan will outlast Vegeta, but the others will probably go out before Vegeta.

Akyon
Regular

Post by Akyon » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:32 am

I agree with the drama part.

Vegeta being taken out would be a pretty massive blow for U7 as Champa himself said and with Goku turning his attention to Jiren and Toppo, there's very few other characters in U7 to keep Frieza in check; possibly Gohan and that's it.
Favourite User quote:
Vice wrote:"Look at all these characters getting some shine in the buildup for the tournament of power, maybe we'll get to see some other characters do some stuff instead of the same old shit."
1. Goku (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitor & Vegeta (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitors

"Fuck."