Am I the only one who thinks Shin is entirely blameless in all of this?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Am I the only one who thinks Shin is entirely blameless in all of this?

Post by IntangibleFancy » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:25 am

Beerus failed to kill buuble gum and he ended up slaughtering all the Kais leaving him uneducated in almost every way. He also let Frieza run free and had a habit to destroy good planets because their food didn't fit his specifications. And while Shin spent most of his life time hunting Buu, Beerus took 30 year naps (it's a little funny because that's what killed future him in the manga) and blowing up stars with his sneezing.

I just don't see how people can blame Shin when Beerus is responsible for not killing the guy that ruined his life.
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Re: Am I the only one who thinks Shin is entirely blameless in all of this?

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:56 am

The Buu arc shows why Shin is to be blamed, he's well how do I put this, worthless? He knew absolutely nothing about anything & was running around like a headless chicken and his stupid plan about letting Gohan get absorbed in the tournament so he could follow them like did he even think that through? And it got to the point where Elder Kai called him out on how pathetic he was and I clapped cuz Shin was pathetic! He didn't even know what Dragon Balls were or even the secrets of the Portara the Kaioshin secret weapon! The difference between Shin and Elder Kai is night and day the Elder Kai is at least competent he knows things.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:08 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:The Buu arc shows why Shin is to be blamed, he's well how do I put this, worthless? He knew absolutely nothing about anything & was running around like a headless chicken and his stupid plan about letting Gohan get absorbed in the tournament so he could follow them like did he even think that through? And it got to the point where Elder Kai called him out on how pathetic he was and I clapped cuz Shin was pathetic! He didn't even know what Dragon Balls were or even the secrets of the Portara the Kaioshin secret weapon! The difference between Shin and Elder Kai is night and day the Elder Kai is at least competent he knows things.
That's because Buu killed all his teachers. And his plan would have probably worked if not for Vegeta's mid life crisis.
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

MaskedRider
Banned

Post by MaskedRider » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:13 pm

To be fair, Beerus didn't do anything because he doesn't care because its not his business.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:15 pm

Shin should not have needed to do that stuff in the first place. Zamasu was told by Gowasu that Creator Gods should not decide about what is done with those who mean potential problems for the universe and then kill them and that the Destroyers do that. So basically Shin had to protect the universe when he didn't even need to and a sleeping cat instead should have taken care of it. If Beerus is such a great destroyer who keeps balance intact then a wild beast like Boo should have actually been stopped by him. As long as Boo was asleep we cannot really blame Beerus because Beerus might not feel what is going on while he is also asleep but overall he should care about that stuff.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:19 pm

IntangibleFancy wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:The Buu arc shows why Shin is to be blamed, he's well how do I put this, worthless? He knew absolutely nothing about anything & was running around like a headless chicken and his stupid plan about letting Gohan get absorbed in the tournament so he could follow them like did he even think that through? And it got to the point where Elder Kai called him out on how pathetic he was and I clapped cuz Shin was pathetic! He didn't even know what Dragon Balls were or even the secrets of the Portara the Kaioshin secret weapon! The difference between Shin and Elder Kai is night and day the Elder Kai is at least competent he knows things.
That's because Buu killed all his teachers. And his plan would have probably worked if not for Vegeta's mid life crisis.
His plan was flawed from the beginning, "oh let them absorb Gohan's energy and we'll follow them back nothing can possibly go wrong" "oh shit there is Dabura oh nooo oh shit Kibito is dead, bye". It was such a dumb plan like he didn't take anything into account and ended up getting his friend Kibito killed. All this build for him and he ended up turning into a pathetic dud, still disappointing to this day.
Cetra wrote:Shin should not have needed to do that stuff in the first place. Zamasu was told by Gowasu that Creator Gods should not decide about what is done with those who mean potential problems for the universe and then kill them and that the Destroyers do that. So basically Shin had to protect the universe when he didn't even need to and a sleeping cat instead should have taken care of it. If Beerus is such a great destroyer who keeps balance intact then a wild beast like Boo should have actually been stopped by him. As long as Boo was asleep we cannot really blame Beerus because Beerus might not feel what is going on while he is also asleep but overall he should care about that stuff.
And Beerus is not a great destroyer hence why we are the second lowest ranked universe, we have pathetic gods. ToP seeing all these other GoDs you can tell so easily that Beerus and Shin don't come close to most of these guys.

MR.Mark
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by MR.Mark » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:21 pm

On the one hand it isn't Beerus job to take sides, on the other, Buu is a magical being that was very much disturbing the balance of the universe.

Both Kaioshin and Beerus dropped the ball big time on the Buu situation.

TysonWine
Beyond Newbie

Post by TysonWine » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:30 pm

As Shin's #1 hater, I feel obligated to respond.

The only person worse at their job than Beerus, is Shin. About Frieza, didn't Shin say he could kill him in one blow? He didn't seem to think much of Frieza, and apparently thought he wasn't important enough to deal with himself. If they're both capable of defeating Frieza, how could it be anymore of one's fault than the other? Hold the thought on Frieza cause I'm gonna get back to him. Beerus didn't fail to kill "buuble gum." I don't believe he knew he existed. As far as we know, Majin Buu was created or discovered by Bibidi and was sent to kill the Kais. After surviving, Shin could've made the decision to tell Beerus but he didn't. That's HIS mistake. In hindsight, going to confront Buu directly, knowing the importance his life holds to the universe wasn't very smart.

Shin had one good idea, if you can't beat em, get some help. I find it strange that Shin knew Goku existed, but had no clue to how powerful he was. What Shin should've been doing during the years he was searching for Majin Buu was contacting the quadrant Kais and getting information on the strongest Heroes. I'll assume that's how he knows of Goku. From there, he should've been training them for Buu in case he's awoken. When that day came, he could've brought them to life for 24 hours and let them destroy Buu. He also could've been doing a little training himself ya know. I'm not sure how strong Kais can get, but DB has always pushed the idea that limits are meant to be broken. Lastly, he could've done his job as the God of Creation and creating more worlds. We don't know the process, but we do know that they're apparently capable of creating a race such as Saiyans, with the potential to pass Buu. Speaking of creating worlds, only 28? Beerus may destroy recklessly but at least he's living up to his title. Shin's just been existing as of late.

The fact the Shin had no plan to deal with a revived Buu speaks volumes about his incompetence. Letting Gohan get absorbed to follow the henchmen to Babidi's ship wasn't the smartest move. Up to that day, he only seemed to have known about Goku, without knowledge of Gohan and Vegeta. So, was his plan to take himself, Kibito, and a Goku who as far as he knew was weaker than himself to face the likes of Pui Pui, Dabura, and a possibly revived Majin Buu?

Back to Frieza. We don't know how Frieza impacted the mortal level, so we can't say Beerus should've destroyed him. Unlike Buu or Cell, Frieza never sought to destroy everything, only contol through his own dictatorship. Frieza destroyed the savage race known as Saiyans, which likely helped the mortal level rather than hurt it. Frieza had an empire where everyone had their role to play under his boot. Not the way you and I would want to live, by I imagine the chaos that emerged after his downfall could've hurt the mortal level, with different factions rising up to fight for control. When Frieza reigned, everyone knew who the top dog was, establishing a kind of order throughout the universe. The point is, Beerus letting Frieza live can't be labled as a fault, because we don't know for sure that Frieza=Low Mortal Level.

dragon boss z

Post by dragon boss z » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:36 pm

MaskedRider wrote:To be fair, Beerus didn't do anything because he doesn't care because its not his business.
Except it is his business because 1. It's his job and 2. if the supreme Kai dies he dies too.

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:37 pm

Great post, agreed, now that Shin's defused again I would love for Super to finally do something worthwhile with him.

This is just another case of Toriyama's writing in the Buu arc making Shin just plain stupid, and unfortunately the creation of Beerus in the series makes them look even worse.

Beerus didn't deal with Buu

Shin didn't deal with Freeza

Incompetence is the perfect word for it.

Yet despite that I don't hate the little dude, I rather like his warm demeanor and cool Mohawk. Just wish he'd do something important at least once.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:41 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: And Beerus is not a great destroyer hence why we are the second lowest ranked universe, we have pathetic gods. ToP seeing all these other GoDs you can tell so easily that Beerus and Shin don't come close to most of these guys.

I do not understand your post. I also say he is a hypocritical, bad destroyer god. But how does that justify it? It is more the result of his looking away and acting on mood than anything else.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:01 pm

I used to think he was less at fault than portrayed. Then in Super (manga anyway) we see that the Kai from other universe actually have interaction with one another sometimes. In all that time he couldnt ask for a teacher, ask for help, ask for further training?

As for destroying people...not his job really but in some cases Id expect it. Not sure if Id expect it for Frieza. Maybe for Cell if he knew.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:15 pm

"Yeah, who cares if an entity even stronger than Frieza is terrorizing the universe! It's none of my busine-"

*instantly vanishes from existence because Shin was killed*

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:20 pm

Marlowe89 wrote:"Yeah, who cares if an entity even stronger than Frieza is terrorizing the universe! It's none of my busine-"

With Elder Kai in the Z Sword I'm not 100% sure he would die. At the very least its a bit confusing who hes linked to at that point. I'm not even sure Shin was ever officially appointed to who knows if they were even linked?
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:46 pm

In Shin's defence, allowing Gohan to decimate Spopovich and Yamu would have accomplished nothing. If they attempted to interrogate them then it would be a simple matter for Babidi to silence them permanently using Haretsu Majutsu. They could use the Dragon Balls to locate Baidi's ship but then the situation would be more or less back at square one. Only instead Babidi and Dabura aren't present to receive the energy. Maybe the wizard would send his right hand to galvanise them into acting anyway. You would be faced with a situation similar to the one in the manga, perhaps with the battle between SSJ2 Goku and Vegeta lasting a bit longer before the necessary energy is transferred to Buu's capsule.

The most glaring flaw in the plan which I hold against Shin is his unwillingness to use his telekinesis and Kiai to restrain and/or kill Dabura. Such powerful abilities could have allowed for a large amount of setbacks to be avoided. But this type of error is prevalent in everyone who refused to use their most logical attacks from Piccolo with the Mafuba to Krillin with his Kienzan to Goku with the Taiyoken after Vegeta and then to Tenshinhan with his Shin Kikoho against the cyborgs.

Nano
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Nano » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:26 pm

I blame Whis. He doesn't give a shit about anything.
I love Dragon Ball so much that I'm constantly complaining about how horrible Super is.

Black Goku / Future Trunks saga... was/is garbage.

Top 5 Favorite DBS Characters = Beerus, Whis, still waiting on the last 3 lol...

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:27 pm

I find it odd people have so much hatred for God type characters when without their incompetence there would be no story. The whole Buu arc would not exist without Shin or Beerus neglecting their universe.

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:35 pm

GodKaio-Ken wrote:
Marlowe89 wrote:"Yeah, who cares if an entity even stronger than Frieza is terrorizing the universe! It's none of my busine-"

With Elder Kai in the Z Sword I'm not 100% sure he would die. At the very least its a bit confusing who hes linked to at that point. I'm not even sure Shin was ever officially appointed to who knows if they were even linked?
Beerus finding insurance by keeping another Kaioshin sealed away? I can dig it, would give some justification to why he did it in the first place, other than being a dick. Would also explain why he slacked off on his duties and only got more actively involved with problems (like Zamasu) once the Z sword was broken.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:33 pm

For a guy that chasing Babdi's spaceship, he seemed very lacking in vital information about him. Like, not telling any of the Z-Fighters that Babidi had the power to control those with evil in their heart at the appropriate time. Why the hell didn't he tell any of the Z-Fighters he could do that? If the Z-Fighters knew beforehand that Babidi had such an ability, then there's no way in hell they would have let Vegeta come to Babidi's spaceship with them. And because of that, the Majin Boo arc then never happens. And of course there's him also leaving out the fact that Majin Boo could absorb people, which in effect, just prolonged the arc once things got rolling. Not to mention heavily underrating the Saiyans and over-hyping the shit out of Badibi's minions. In reality, taking just Goku alone would have been enough to take of Babidi's minions and would have solved everything. And that's not even getting into the fact Kaioshin essentially giving Babidi half the energy he required right of the bat. What the hell was he thinking? That was such an incredibly stupid and insanely careless thing to do.

I'll admit happily that the Saiyans take a good share of the blame for Majin Boo being released, but they were already up shit creek without a paddle when Piccolo, Krillin and Kibito bit the dust. If Piccolo, Kibito and Krillin were still around they could have provided proper strategy and planning in how to take of Babidi. Piccolo could have take care of Pui Pui, Gohan could have taken care of Yakon and Vegeta could have taken care of Dabra easily. Then all of Babidi's henchmen are dead. Then Supreme Kai and Kibito takes care of Babidi, Goku and Krillin destroy Majin Boo's cocoon and case closed. The Majin Boo arc ends right there and for a bonus, everybody get a fair share of the spotlight, too.

Kaioshin really didn't think things through, and ultimately, his "plan" of defeating Majin Boo was the catalyst for the Majin Boo arc even happening in the first place as it wasn't well thought out at all. I think Kaioshin deserves a huge chunk of the blame for Majin Boo being ressurected. But the Saiyans definitely made things more difficult than it should have been. Goku, Vegeta and Gohan sure as hell significantly contributed to the entire mess as well.

Asura

Post by Asura » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:18 pm

GodKaio-Ken wrote:

Yeah this was a topic I brought up awhile ago. It's really confusing as to how that link works, since

A) Elder Kai existed before Shin, so shouldn't Beerus be bound to him instead?

B) There used to be 5 Supreme Kais, was Beerus linked to all 5?

Most likely when they made this link up they completely forgot about these two things, hence it doesn't really make the most sense.

I don't think Shin is entirely blameless. He seems to be pretty shitty at his job and knows like, nothing. Apparently he wasn't really even aware of life on other planets? How do you suck at your job that bad?