Now that we've seen the designs of the 70 other fighters, how do you feel about them?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

precita
Banned

Now that we've seen the designs of the 70 other fighters, how do you feel about them?

Post by precita » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:26 pm

Now that most of the designs of the 70 fighters have been shown, how do you feel about most of them? I'm talking strictly their designs here, not their personalities or characters.

I think they did a good job giving us a varied look at most of the fighters. We have humanoid aliens, robots, monsters, magical girls, wolves, foxes, elves, short characters, huge characters, muscle-bound characters, Nameks, etc. I'm also surprised at how many female fighters there are. In Dragonball there were always barely any female fighters especially as antagonists, just briefly 18 and one of Bojack's henchmen in Movie 9, but we have so many female characters this time around.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Re: Now that we've seen the designs of the 70 other fighters, how do you feel about them?

Post by Chuquita » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:42 pm

There's variety, but nothing that inspires me to want to draw fanart of them for the most part.

I dunno, designs and personalities have to work in tandem with each other or else it doesn't go beyond "oh they look cool" or "that's boring looking".

I think that they tried doing theme teams for most of them because it's easier to create lots of characters that way, but honestly I'd rather they played the magical girls trope straight and gone full on wacky parody with the super sentai team instead of the other way around. The Pride Troopers are dull. I have hope for Brianne's team, but I like magical girl stuff so if they play it in a cynical way I won't enjoy it. Right now I'm worried they'll end up just another take on the Para Para Bros from GT.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

The_Destroyer
Regular

Re: Now that we've seen the designs of the 70 other fighters, how do you feel about them?

Post by The_Destroyer » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:45 pm

Designs are okay, but most are bland abd not very unique. Remember how everyone was saying there would be a lot of potential characters for the next DB game? Well so far There's like less than 10 who actually are unique and interesting. Hell the caveman from the first episode of Super had a more interesting design and attacks.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:48 pm

The_Destroyer wrote:Designs are okay, but most are bland abd not very unique. Remember how everyone was saying there would be a lot of potential characters for the next DB game? Well so far There's like less than 10 who actually are unique and interesting. Hell the caveman from the first episode of Super had a more interesting design and attacks.
Well a lot of these designs are meant to be fodder, of course they're not going to be utilized much.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:59 pm

I share in the notion of personality needing to match the appearance for it to truly memorable. Physical looks can only go so far without a distinct engaging range of emotions, fighting abilities, and tactics to match it. Thus far, many of these characters have been one-hit non-memorable caricatures with little substance to offer past their cackling and underutilised technique.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:07 pm

In terms of the games, it's likely Jiren, Toppo, Caulifa, Kale, Brianne and the Trio de Dangers will be most likely included in the fighters.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:19 pm

Chuquita wrote:There's variety, but nothing that inspires me to want to draw fanart of them for the most part.

I dunno, designs and personalities have to work in tandem with each other or else it doesn't go beyond "oh they look cool" or "that's boring looking".

I think that they tried doing theme teams for most of them because it's easier to create lots of characters that way, but honestly I'd rather they played the magical girls trope straight and gone full on wacky parody with the super sentai team instead of the other way around. The Pride Troopers are dull. I have hope for Brianne's team, but I like magical girl stuff so if they play it in a cynical way I won't enjoy it. Right now I'm worried they'll end up just another take on the Para Para Bros from GT.
I think theme based team would have been boring,look at the pride troopers their design aside from some are boring
    Some design are good and other are just bad and uninteresting, I'm looking at you u10/11 especially u10,they didn't even bother with that universe,nappapa is the only i remember in terms of design and ability ebut there are some good design like u4,9,2 and 3,through most of those character have underutilized abilty and meh personality
      only 5 new character I like in both personality and design,that's a low number
      Lionel wrote:I share in the notion of personality needing to match the appearance for it to truly memorable. Physical looks can only go so far without a distinct engaging range of emotions, fighting abilities, and tactics to match it. Thus far, many of these characters have been one-hit non-memorable caricatures with little substance to offer past their cackling and underutilised technique.
      it was very strange how the pride trooper were cackling like u9,I wish they act like the ginyu force,over the top and freaking out a lot
      Last edited by The gr on Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:02 pm, edited 4 times in total.
      Mostly active on discord.

Lord Beerus
      Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:30 pm

I like all of the designs. They have variety and are unique for their respective universes. I do think some of the characters could use some personality, but finding unique characteristics for 70 characters is no small feat, especially since at least half of the characters are fodder.

TheDipDap1234
      Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheDipDap1234 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:58 pm

The Universe 11 fighters are my least favorite based on their designs. Toppo is the only one that I like.

Universe 10 fighters also look pretty bad to me. Lilibeu and Napapa look okay though.

All of the other fighters look okay to me. My favorite is the harpy girl (Bikaru) from Universe 2. Hope she will have a personality and techniques just as good as her design.
      Gowasu's number 1 fan.

Asura
      I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:21 pm

I like them. It's definitely not easy designing that many unique characters. I don't think most of us were even expecting to see every character of every universe, plus the fact that there aren't any offscreen eliminations thus far means you at least see the character once before they get knocked out. It was a pretty ambitious decision and I'm glad they did it. We don't know anything at all about the majority of these characters but just the fact that they exist with their own design and they're not just getting eliminated off-screen is more than enough to satisfy me.

As for the character designs of the important characters like Toppo, Jiren, Caulifla, Dyspo, Brianne (not the teletubby form, I don't like that design), etc. I like them all a lot, especially Toppo and Caulifla. People say Jiren is too boring and generic looking but I feel like that's what makes him interesting.

GodKaio-Ken
      I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:40 pm

I think they are mostly interesting or fine but nothing to write home about.

Jiren would be cool if his eyes didnt make him look a bit "slow".
      Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

MrBlackFox
      Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MrBlackFox » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:55 pm

I love every single one of them, Toei, Toyotaro and Toriyama did an incredible job

If I'd have to pick my absolute favorites:

Caulifla and Kale, probably the two new namekian entries in u6 too
      Basically every Pride Troopers, maybe except Jiren who I actually can't stand, anonymous af, no personality at all and its design is boring, its " incredibly powerful fighter" surprise effect lasted too much imo
      Every single fighter of universe 2 and 3, with particular attention to magical girls in 2, and the professor and blue guy in 3, who could end up being their strongest
      U9's trio de danger
      U4's green little guy, the one who spies Goku and Co., i loved its design since its first appearance, and maybe Majora too

Shinda Forever
      Temporarily Banned

Post by Shinda Forever » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:14 pm

I liked Sirloin, Pirina, Jirasen, Katpesra and Maji Kayo. I think that overall they did a nice work.

emi_b7
      Beyond Newbie

Post by emi_b7 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:35 pm

-U6: solid. We knew most of them already, the saiyans are cool, the boar seems like a decent design and having namekians is cool (I hope their designs are cool)
      -U11: I wasn't a fan of Toppo and Jiren but they have grown on me. The rest aren't bad but the Pride Troopers uniform is kind of boring, so I think this is one of the most boring universes.
      -U2: this is probably my favorite. I love the idea of a magical girls parody where their leader turns into a teletubby instead of a whimsical and beautiful princess of some kind :lol: , it seems like such a Toriyama thing to do. I also appreciate the Yadrat dude and the one that seems inspired by Riildo, I'm guessing Toei and/or Toyotaro were behind that :thumbup: . The big green dude and the vampire girl also have good designs.
      -U10: this one probably has the most generic designs but they grew on me because they are the only ones inspired by actual martial arts. They also remind me of street fighter lol (Napapa/Honda, Muay thai guy/Sagat, yoga papa smurf/Dhalsim, flamboyant dude/Vega). Still, even if they are the most generic, there are some designs I liked, like Murichim, Napapa and Lilibeu.
      -U3: I'm not a fan of robots so this one isn't one of my favorites. Even then, we haven't seen the robots' designs in detail, other than Narirama(who has a solid design), so it's hard to have an opinion. I like the blue dude with the stick and the P dude look quite cool. I'm also waiting to see what that blue kid can do, it looks like he can transform or something. Nigrisshi looks like shit though, one of the worst designs out there IMO
      -U9: I really liked the Trio de Danger, especially Bergamo. Hop, the dragon, Hyssop and Sorrel were pretty cool too. The rest are meh.
      -U4: Majora, Shosa, Nink and that lady who has sleeves like Majora's are really cool. Ganos reminds me of that one dude Baby possesed in GT in that hospital planet a bit, both designs are generic IMO. I don't like the fat girl and the blue little dude.

They are pretty good overall IMO, I was expecting way worse. I thougth the aliens from copy Vegeta episodes, the dog aliens from SSJ Mr Satan episode, the poachers from 17's episode, Monaka, Watagashi Barry and that dog Sidra sent to kill Freeza were all bad designs, so my expectations were really low.

Zamasu55

Post by Zamasu55 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:00 pm

UNIVERSE 2:
      I absolute adore Bikaru, whereas Pran is probably the worst. Don't mind the others.

UNIVERSE 3:
      Nigrisshi (RIP) is my favourite. I love Narirama and Biara too. I dislike Paperoni and Maji Kayo (the ugliest in my opinion). Don't mind the others.

UNIVERSE 4:
      I dislike every design except Ganos, Shosa and Majora.

UNIVERSE 6:
      I love everyone but Dr. Rota, who seems pretty random.

UNIVERSE 10:
      Literally the ugliest designs I've ever seen. Every one bar Lilibeu.

UNIVERSE 11:
      Apart from the four members we already knew, I think Cocotte's got the best design. I don't mind Zoiray. Hate the rest.
      Last edited by Zamasu55 on Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Saturnine

Post by Saturnine » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:02 pm

precita wrote:In Dragonball there were always barely any female fighters especially as antagonists, just briefly 18 and one of Bojack's henchmen in Movie 9, but we have so many female characters this time around.
      There was Ranfan all the way back in OG Dragonball as a fighter in one of the tournaments. And yet you specifically remembered Zangya... ehh

Ki Breaker
      Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:09 pm

It is kind of amazing how much variety there is..
      Their names are awesome as well, I especially enjoyed Maji Kayo..
      Like, Majikayo?! :lol:
      The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Doctor.
      Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:40 pm

I hate that we have like 5 fox/wolf creatures. Aliens from different universes with no connection to ours shouldn't have creatures similar to Earth's animals.

The gr
      I Live Here

Post by The gr » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:52 pm

Zamasu55 wrote:[spoiler]UNIVERSE 2:
      I absolute adore Bikaru, whereas Pran is probably the worst. Don't mind the others.

UNIVERSE 3:
      Nigrisshi (RIP) is my favourite. I love Narirama and Biara too. I dislike Paperoni and Maji Kayo (the ugliest in my opinion). Don't mind the others.

UNIVERSE 4:
      I dislike every design except Ganos, Shosa and Majora.

UNIVERSE 6:
      I love everyone but Dr. Rota, who seems pretty random.

UNIVERSE 10:
      Literally the ugliest designs I've ever seen. Every one bar Lilibeu.

UNIVERSE 11:
      Apart from the four members we already knew, I think Cocotte's got the best design. I don't mind Zoiray. Hate the rest[/spoiler].
      You miss universe 9
        here my opinion on all of them
          universe 2:the best one are Bikaru,zirloin and brianne and my least favorite is rabanra
            universe 3:i love koitsukai,nigrishi,paparoni and Maji kayo,borateta and the reecho are the worst one
              universe 4:my favorite is Ganos,darkori,shantsa,Majora and nink and the worst one is monna
                Universe 6;maggetta,hit and cauli have cool designs ,the worst one is kale,cabba and botamo
                  Universe 9:the trio,chappil,,sorrel and hop,the worst one is comfrey
                    universe 10:nappapa,rubarut and Lilibeu,the rest is just lame
                      uuniverse 11:jiren,toppo,kahseral and Cocotte's and the worst one is vuon
                      Doctor. wrote:I hate that we have like 5 fox/wolf creatures. Aliens from different universes with no connection to ours shouldn't have creatures similar to Earth's animals.
                      look at kahseral and jimizu,one is a earthling and the other is a yardrat,yet none of these guy are from u6/7
                      Last edited by The gr on Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:05 pm, edited 4 times in total.
                      Mostly active on discord.

fadeddreams5
                      Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:54 pm

They're awful (excluding Uni 6) and uninspired. Even the main guy that's supposed to make us rock hard (Jiren) has an incredibly boring and plain design.

The other world fighters had better designs. Just look at this guy:
                      [spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

I don't even know wtf his name is, but his existence should make the designers of the TOP fighters feel embarrassed.
                      "Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super