Now that we've seen the designs of the 70 other fighters, how do you feel about them?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

The gr
I Live Here

Re: Now that we've seen the designs of the 70 other fighters, how do you feel about them?

Post by The gr » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:08 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:They're awful (excluding Uni 6) and uninspired. Even the main guy that's supposed to make us rock hard (Jiren) has an incredibly boring and plain design.

The other world fighters had better designs. Just look at this guy:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

I don't even know wtf his name is, but his existence should make the designers of the TOP fighters feel embarrassed.
I disagree, I'm not fan of that design,it looks unoriginal and bland when compared to nigrishi,ganos,nariama,chappil,and Maji kato,this screenshots show how cool the robots are[spoiler]ImageI would have appreciate if someone upload the full screenshot with u3 in 97[/spoiler]
    they are some ok and bad designs in the other world with olibu being my favorite
    Mostly active on discord.

Draconic
    I Live Here

Re: Now that we've seen the designs of the 70 other fighters, how do you feel about them?

Post by Draconic » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:39 pm

I'll try to rank them from worst to best:

Universe 3 is my least favorite. There are a couple of good designs there, but there are way to many generic robots for my liking.

Universe 10 is the next, with a variety of bland warriors, though I'll take generic martial artists over generic robots.

Universe 11 is very average. I like most of the designs very much, but them all having to wear the same uniform brings them down a lot. Khaseral, for example, worked much better in his "army" clothes. Would like to see those guys with unique costumes in the future and if they do that, they'll automatically grow in my eyes, but as of now all are meh.

Next, Universe 2 and 4 are tied for second place as I find most of the guys very appealing to look at, though both have quite a few uniteresting characters too. Depending on the last two U4 guys I'll probably break this tie and if Damon really is that green dude in the opening I'm leaning torwards U2. But I'll wait for a clear look before I truly pass judgement.

Universe 9 then remains as my favorite. Except for one design I vary between liking and loving all those guys. Sad they had to go so early.

Of course, I'm not counting Universe 6, since those guys had a whole arc dedicated to them so the effort was more concentrated, but seeing as how I love the Saiyan girls, I really wanted Namekians and even the pig guy looks cool, if I were to count them they would be the best by far.

Also, if I were to place our Universe 7 somwhere there, without Buu they fall just above the Pride Troopers, but still not among the best. With Buu instead of Kame-Sennin, Freeza and RoF costumes for Goku and Vegeta it would be amazing. But Goku and Gohan wearing the same outfit and three warriors being human bald dudes really brings it down quite a lot.
    Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

Anime Kitten
    I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:58 pm

The designs are wonderfully varied, and they feel so fresh and unique for Dragon Ball. It's nice to see such a large number of animal species and alien races (and even robots!) alike, even if they're left unexplored (though it would be absolutely amazing to see each one's history).

Venturing out of strictly design, I think they're decently written for typically only having a few minutes of screen time. They could have some more quirks sprinkled in here and there, but I suppose there's no need if they don't last past their brief screen time anyway.
    MyAnimeList | AniList
    Discord: suchmisfortune

Draconic
    I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:09 pm

I don't think I am the only one getting this vibe, but all universes also seem to be loosely based on other shows and media as well. The obvious being U11/Super Sentai and U2/Precure/Sailor Moon, but U9 also seems to take from Yu Yu Hakusho and a lot of U10 designs remind me of Street Fighter characters. I'm sure U3 is taking inspiration from somewhere too, but I can't pinpoint it. The only one that doesn't remind me of anything is U4.

Anime Kitten
    I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:15 pm

Draconic wrote:The only one that doesn't remind me of anything is U4.
    I've seen some people draw similarities to Dragon Quest, but I can't testify to that myself.
    MyAnimeList | AniList
    Discord: suchmisfortune

The gr
    I Live Here

Post by The gr » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:16 pm

Draconic wrote:I don't think I am the only one getting this vibe, but all universes also seem to be loosely based on other shows and media as well. The obvious being U11/Super Sentai and U2/Precure/Sailor Moon, but U9 also seems to take from Yu Yu Hakusho and a lot of U10 designs remind me of Street Fighter characters. I'm sure U3 is taking inspiration from somewhere too, but I can't pinpoint it. The only one that doesn't remind me of anything is U4.
    U2 also have a fighter that is based on street figther,this dude really look like blanka
      Imageu3 really give me megaman/transformer vibes by looking at those bots and u4 look like DQ
      Last edited by The gr on Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:03 pm, edited 5 times in total.

GreatSaiyaJeff
      Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:17 pm

U3 and U10 seem to be the weakest to me but so far U11 and U2 I have been enjoying there designs the most.
      "I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

Draconic
      I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:40 pm

Anime Kitten wrote:
      Draconic wrote:The only one that doesn't remind me of anything is U4.
      I've seen some people draw similarities to Dragon Quest, but I can't testify to that myself.
      Interesting. I'm familiar only a little bit with DQ, but I can see it. Thanks!

fadeddreams5
      Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:56 pm

The gr wrote:
      fadeddreams5 wrote:They're awful (excluding Uni 6) and uninspired. Even the main guy that's supposed to make us rock hard (Jiren) has an incredibly boring and plain design.

The other world fighters had better designs. Just look at this guy:
      [spoiler][/spoiler]

I don't even know wtf his name is, but his existence should make the designers of the TOP fighters feel embarrassed.
      I disagree, I'm not fan of that design,it looks unoriginal and bland when compared to nigrishi,ganos,nariama,chappil,and Maji kato,this screenshots show how cool the robots are[spoiler]ImageI would have appreciate if someone upload the full screenshot with u3 in 97[/spoiler]
        they are some ok and bad designs in the other world with olibu being my favorite
        I forgot about the robot universe. Yeah, Maji Kato and Nigrisshi have great designs. I didn't count Hit. Ganos looks weak and like the edgy rival ofsome kid in a coming-of-age anime. Chappil is just a dragon with steel skin...yawn.

None of these fighters, besides Nigrisshi, look powerful or intimidating. That red guy? Looks like what Jiren should be. Looks like a guy the gods would fear. Looks like...Perfect Cell. Hmm... okay, maybe not the most creative design... but he's smoking.
        "Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

The gr
        I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:08 am

fadeddreams5 wrote: None of these fighters, besides Nigrisshi, look powerful or intimidating. That red guy? Looks like what Jiren should be. Looks like a guy the gods would fear. Looks like...Perfect Cell. Hmm... okay, maybe not the most creative design... but he's smoking.
        Well that's the appeal of db, the simple one are dangerous, look at freeza and cell,there final form look lackluster in comparison to their previous form, but there still dangerous in a way,seriously imperfect cell look like the stuff that the gods would be afraid yet that's not the final form ,that what's Jiren is lacking,he not that intimidating,don't have a cool ability or have a personality making him boring to everyone
          seconded on Nigrisshi looking intimidating and cool,it sucks hes fodder,so much for the build up,the red guy having a better designs than Jiren and the fighter not looking intimidating,they ruined pran look at this thing in ep 96 compared to his god pad portrait
            [spoiler]Image Image[/spoiler]

Ilikepictures-meh
            Beyond Newbie

Post by Ilikepictures-meh » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:31 am

I love the variety that all the universes in the ToP have. Though obviously some are very plain and boring looking imo (Like Jiren).

I like designs in every universe, but my favortes designs are from U9, U4, and U2. U4 gives off a Dragon Quest vibe, U2 has some nice designs with the Precure like magical girls, the big beast, the blue chick, and the big General Rildo looking dude. While U9 just all looked legit, especially the trio, the bat guy, the iron dragon, and the bunny and cat girl. Every character in those universes (and U3) could easily be apart of and fit in with U7 Earth, due to Db's Earth having anthropomorphic monster and animal earthlings/people.

FortuneSSJ
            Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:32 pm

I approve all of them!

Episode 102 proved how unique characters from other Universes can be. Dragon Ball is not like other shonens where they are limited to a certain theme like ninjas, pirates, shinigamis, etc...It has endless potential and because of that it can have basically everything they want. Universe 2, 3 and 11 have my favourite concepts.

They could have gone the easy way just like DB Multiverse and have a lot of different versions of the same characters, but they didn't and I'm thankful for it because that would be boring.

I also like the new GoDs, Kaioshins and Angels. It's not easy to create so many new characters but they did a fantastic job.
            Props To Akira Toriyama, Toyotaro and Tadayoshi Yamamuro! :thumbup:
            A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Baggie_Saiyan
            Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:40 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:I approve all of them!

Episode 102 proved how unique characters from other Universes can be. Dragon Ball is not like other shonens where they are limited to a certain theme like ninjas, pirates, shinigamis, etc...It has endless potential and because of that it can have basically everything they want. Universe 2, 3 and 11 have my favourite concepts.

They could have gone the easy way just like DB Multiverse and have a lot of different versions of the same characters, but they didn't and I'm thankful for it because that would be boring.

I also like the new GoDs, Kaioshins and Angels. It's not easy to create so many new characters but they did a fantastic job.
            Props To Akira Toriyama, Toyotaro and Tadayoshi Yamamuro! :thumbup:
            I similarly have to echo this, it was always gonna be tough task especially for Yamamuro and but it turned out really well! Like U6 is mirror of U7 they could have easily mirrored that for the other universes and recycled designs that way, plus they also made each universe feel somewhat distinct too.

The gr
            I Live Here

Post by The gr » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:14 am

Here some screenshots to highlight how cool these design are [spoiler]ImageImage Image ImageImage Image[/spoiler]

Saturnine
            I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Saturnine » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:45 am

Well, definitely more creative than both the mooks and the main villains from the 13 movies by Toei. Those were just half-assed rehashes of previous ideas by Toriyama. Here we at least have something new.

Doctor.
            Banned

Post by Doctor. » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:52 am

Saturnine wrote:Well, definitely more creative than both the mooks and the main villains from the 13 movies by Toei. Those were just half-assed rehashes of previous ideas by Toriyama. Here we at least have something new.
            Most of the designs were made by Toriyama himself and the ones that weren't ended up great, such as Janemba.

Saturnine
            I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Saturnine » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:14 pm

Doctor. wrote:
            Saturnine wrote:Well, definitely more creative than both the mooks and the main villains from the 13 movies by Toei. Those were just half-assed rehashes of previous ideas by Toriyama. Here we at least have something new.
            Most of the designs were made by Toriyama himself and the ones that weren't ended up great, such as Janemba.
            Toriyama drew them, but he got told what he was to go for. Toriyama himself would never have come up with Cooler as a rehash or Freeza or Slug as a rehash of King Piccolo. Even if he drew the concept art for them, the original idea wasn't his. Also, I'm not saying the movie villains are bad in terms of how they look. They're just horribly derivative.

perucho1990
            I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:27 pm

I feel some fans wouldve liked the kamikaze fireballs girls more if they were like

In the sense of looking more like adults and with "special" type of clothing..

Chuquita
            Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:41 pm

Did Araki draw that? It looks so JoJo's and their faces/masks make me think of Killer Queen.

For some fans, aesthetic does matter with character design. More conventionally attractive characters build fanbases that last, I think. The fireballs might flash in the pan. Thing is I wouldn't count on Toriyama to design standard cute magical girl warriors because he'd rather troll the audience. My go to is that one Dr. Slump chapter where they're parodying a fairy tale and you think Arale will be the female lead, but no, it's Senbei, mustache and all.
            My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
            ---
            フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

sintzu
            Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:45 pm

They're OK. We've gotten 70+ new characters so I wasn't expecting anything ground breaking. I think it would've been better to get less with more of a focus on each one.
            July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.