The stakes couldn't be higher yet there is no tension at all

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Shuby
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

The stakes couldn't be higher yet there is no tension at all

Post by Shuby » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:28 am

It seems like that nr 17 and 18 are taking the fights seriously, everone else seems to be joking around, forgiving people nor not taking the tournament or the opponents seriously. Let's be honest Buu transforming into Kid Buu and destroying things had more tension to it then the tournament so far. The writing and powerscalling is abysmal and the fights are sometimes too uneventful. The stakes couldn't be higher yet there is no tension at all, what could be more worse then a universe being whiped out, yet do you feel tension from the fighters?

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Re: The stakes couldn't be higher yet there is no tension at all

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:32 am

Shuby wrote:It seems like that nr 17 and 18 are taking the fights seriously, everone else seems to be joking around, forgiving people nor not taking the tournament or the opponents seriously. Let's be honest Buu transforming into Kid Buu and destroying things had more tension to it then the tournament so far. The writing and powerscalling is abysmal and the fights are sometimes too uneventful. The stakes couldn't be higher yet there is no tension at all, what could be more worse then a universe being whiped out, yet do you feel tension from the fighters?

There is no tension because its been U7 v Fodder so far. I think people, not you, who think the entire tournament will be this way are pretty dumb. At some point U7 fighters will be eliminated and there will be automatic tension.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

Basako
Advanced Regular

Post by Basako » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:36 am

Give it time, man. When some more U7 members go down, the tension will raise. Well, we know they will survive, but they don't.

And there was tension when U9 was erased.
Heno heno kappa!

Shuby
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Shuby » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:36 am

GodKaio-Ken wrote:
Shuby wrote:It seems like that nr 17 and 18 are taking the fights seriously, everone else seems to be joking around, forgiving people nor not taking the tournament or the opponents seriously. Let's be honest Buu transforming into Kid Buu and destroying things had more tension to it then the tournament so far. The writing and powerscalling is abysmal and the fights are sometimes too uneventful. The stakes couldn't be higher yet there is no tension at all, what could be more worse then a universe being whiped out, yet do you feel tension from the fighters?

There is no tension because its been U7 v Fodder so far. I think people, not you, who think the entire tournament will be this way are pretty dumb. At some point U7 fighters will be eliminated and there will be automatic tension.
I've said so far.. and there should've been more seriousness from the beginning, which we yet have to seen since the stakes are waaaay too high here.

Shuby
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Shuby » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:37 am

Basako wrote:Give it time, man. When some more U7 members go down, the tension will raise. Well, we know they will survive, but they don't.

And what happened after that? The same pacing and tone.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:38 am

Shuby wrote:
GodKaio-Ken wrote:

I've said so far.. and there should've been more seriousness from the beginning, which we yet have to seen since the stakes are waaaay too high here.
Pretty much everyone seems serious except Goku though...and like I've said no-one except Jiren, Hit and Toppo can lay a serious finger on him. Why be serious?
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

Basako
Advanced Regular

Post by Basako » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:44 am

Shuby wrote:
Basako wrote:Give it time, man. When some more U7 members go down, the tension will raise. Well, we know they will survive, but they don't.

And what happened after that? The same pacing and tone.
Because tension has its ups and downs too, it's normal. They couldn't stay stunned for the erasure forever, they had to continue fighting. Even if one universe is gone, it's still the initial phase of the tournament. Tension will raise when the time comes. As I said, when more members get down.
Last edited by Basako on Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Heno heno kappa!

Shuby
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Shuby » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:44 am

GodKaio-Ken wrote:
Shuby wrote:
GodKaio-Ken wrote:

Pretty much everyone seems serious except Goku though...and like I've said no-one except Jiren, Hit and Toppo can lay a serious finger on him. Why be serious?
If you really think that, then watch the show again, these characters who are trying don't seem that convincing in their actions to save their universe, there are no emotional moments whatsoever.

Shuby
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Shuby » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:46 am

GodKaio-Ken wrote:
Shuby wrote:
GodKaio-Ken wrote:

Knowing that you have limited time, with x amount of people to deal with while your universe is at stake of being erased completely .. yeah let''s just wait for few fighters to remain for things to get serously and hopefully have some emtional moments

Shuby
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Shuby » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:50 am

Shuby wrote:
GodKaio-Ken wrote:
Shuby wrote:
Knowing that you have limited time, with x amount of people to deal with while your universe is at stake of being erased completely .. yeah let''s just wait for few fighters to remain for things to get serously and hopefully have some emtional moments
eryone in that ring is fighting not only for their invidual survival but each respective universe's survival as well so watching your opponents power up for ur survival is frustrating especially with characters we know will be out of the tournament by the episode. I know the first half was supposed to be a gag of the latest episode but it really doesn't fit with the tone of this arc. The fact that no one cones to 17's defense is annoying too.

Dragonballgod19
Banned

Post by Dragonballgod19 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:58 am

It's not just 18 and 17 literally almost everyone on the team isn't taking this seriously

Akyon
Regular

Post by Akyon » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:13 am

It's not even Universe 7 though that don't seem to be taking anything seriously;

Toppo trying to conserve energy rather than going with Jiren to take down Goku immedietely is a little peculiar, considering he knows how dangerous he is.
Jiren not making sure Kale gets blasted out the ring was dumb. That single act really screwed his team over in the following episode. Great work.
Jiren standing around bored out of his skull with his arms crossed is ridiculous when the lives of everyone he cares about is on the line.
Hit destroys Nairirama's arm disabling him but leaves him in for a few minutes to walk slowly towards Vegeta before vanishing because...err...
Napapa got demolished by Frieza but Frieza couldn't be bothered to eliminate him because...?
Caulifla mirrors Goku's "YAY YAY YAY A FIGHT" mentality so she's naturally also there.

Give Universe 9 their due. Although they were eliminated quickly at least they tried to take down threats. Bergamo really should have tanked some hits with his ability though, and just thrown a few off with his increased size.
Favourite User quote:
Vice wrote:"Look at all these characters getting some shine in the buildup for the tournament of power, maybe we'll get to see some other characters do some stuff instead of the same old shit."
1. Goku (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitor & Vegeta (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitors

"Fuck."

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:36 am

Akyon wrote:It's not even Universe 7 though that don't seem to be taking anything seriously;

Toppo trying to conserve energy rather than going with Jiren to take down Goku immedietely is a little peculiar, considering he knows how dangerous he is.
Jiren not making sure Kale gets blasted out the ring was dumb. That single act really screwed his team over in the following episode. Great work.
Jiren standing around bored out of his skull with his arms crossed is ridiculous when the lives of everyone he cares about is on the line.
Hit destroys Nairirama's arm disabling him but leaves him in for a few minutes to walk slowly towards Vegeta before vanishing because...err...
Napapa got demolished by Frieza but Frieza couldn't be bothered to eliminate him because...?
Caulifla mirrors Goku's "YAY YAY YAY A FIGHT" mentality so she's naturally also there.

Give Universe 9 their due. Although they were eliminated quickly at least they tried to take down threats. Bergamo really should have tanked some hits with his ability though, and just thrown a few off with his increased size.
I will say that Bergamo not going giant was probably as smart, if boring choice on his part. As a giant not only could he not keep track of Goku in their last fight but es almost feel out the ring during that battle to. If he had used it, Goku and Vegeta would not have beaten them, all three brothers would have been ringed out because Bergamo broke the ring.

MrBlackFox
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MrBlackFox » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:46 am

This episode gave me a strong as fuck sensation that all this tournament is a joke orchestrated by Goku, Grand Priest and who knows who else, maybe the Zenos or the angels

It's probably a fake erasing
Goku analyzes every single fighter, wants to see them at their full strength and does all this constantly smiling
Can't be a real death risk, even if Goku has been battle crazy since original DB

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:59 am

I honestly don't see any real big stakes surfacing until something like whatever Freeza has planned goes down, or if someone like Jiren starts wrecking people.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:03 am

Akyon wrote:Jiren standing around bored out of his skull with his arms crossed is ridiculous when the lives of everyone he cares about is on the line.
Everyone in his team could lose for all he cares, he believes to be strong enough to whoop the entire Tournament arena himself.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:14 am

Xeogran wrote:
Akyon wrote:Jiren standing around bored out of his skull with his arms crossed is ridiculous when the lives of everyone he cares about is on the line.
Everyone in his team could lose for all he cares, he believes to be strong enough to whoop the entire Tournament arena himself.
Jiren still hasn't done anything?
What's his issue.. even if he is strong enough to wipe everyone out himself, it won't happen unless he goes ahead and does it..
I suppose he could be waiting for something to finally start eliminating everyone..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

TysonWine
Beyond Newbie

Post by TysonWine » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:35 am

Ki Breaker wrote:
Xeogran wrote:
Jiren still hasn't done anything?
What's his issue.. even if he is strong enough to wipe everyone out himself, it won't happen unless he goes ahead and does it..
I suppose he could be waiting for something to finally start eliminating everyone..
In Jiren's defense, he doesn't know he's the strongest. We do, but in-universe it makes sense for him to save his stamina like everyone else. Let's say he goes all out against Goku and wins. He could be left exhausted, making him easy pickings for Frieza.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:04 am

TysonWine wrote:In Jiren's defense, he doesn't know he's the strongest. We do, but in-universe it makes sense for him to save his stamina like everyone else. Let's say he goes all out against Goku and wins. He could be left exhausted, making him easy pickings for Frieza.
With the way he's ignoring everyone, he clearly seems to be very confident of his own standing in the ToP.

Totamo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Totamo » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:45 am

MrBlackFox wrote:This episode gave me a strong as fuck sensation that all this tournament is a joke orchestrated by Goku, Grand Priest and who knows who else, maybe the Zenos or the angels

It's probably a fake erasing
Goku analyzes every single fighter, wants to see them at their full strength and does all this constantly smiling
Can't be a real death risk, even if Goku has been battle crazy since original DB
No, its not a joke the characters just don't care. But we knew that, from the recruitment arc. Almost no character cared about universal destruction.

the only one who does is beerus, which is ironic since he should be the guy most uppity about destruction.