Is lasting longer in the tournament a feat on its own?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JulianStyles
Banned

Is lasting longer in the tournament a feat on its own?

Post by JulianStyles » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:28 pm

I bring this up because I see a lot of people saying it doesnt matter when you are eliminated. But what you did. Theres a point to be had if say you wernt first eliminated or the eliminations were close together.

Take Krillin and Roshi for example. I expect Roshi to be eliminated episode 105. I expect him to get atleast 1 more elimination. Which would equal. Krillins hand in eliminations at 3. Krillin does have a save so credit for that. Krillin was eliminated while the fighting was still tame. While Roshi has survived the Kale attack. The Ribriane attack. And now has to fight alone for 3 episodes.

So I really dont understand this notion it doesnt matter when you were eliminated when the longer you last the greater the challenge you are facing.

LightBing
I Live Here

Re: Is lasting longer in the tournament a feat on its own?

Post by LightBing » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:36 pm

The fact that the anime barely show us what the other fighters are doing, even in passage, takes away any possible merit. Does it matter if x character reaches the top 10, if he/she/it literally did nothing until that point.

Maybe if Super gave us a more dynamic battle royal, where even if a character wasn't given much screen-time the atmosphere and chaos, together with the constant revealing of dangerous foes would make us think: "wow this character is still in, it must super strong or have crazy techniques".

Personally unless you did something you have no merit. You might just have been sitting in the background waiting, while everyone else is in a queue to fight Goku. That's the feeling the show has given me.

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:44 pm

It depends. If Character 1 knocked out a few fighters but is the first one out on their team, while Character 2 stood by and did nothing but is one of the last ones out, then Character 1 was probably more of an asset.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:46 pm

Depends on how much they contribute. You can last to the end all you want but if you do absolutely nothing, then it's meaningless. You could have someone go out first second or third contribute more than someone who goes out last or second to last, and I'll praise the ones who got eliminated earlier for putting in the work.

KingKaash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KingKaash » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:51 pm

I'm of the thinking that it matters more about what you did in the ToP instead of how long you lasted. Krillin has legitimately done more than Jiren. So right now I'm more impressed with Krillin than Jiren even though Jiren will last to the end. Same thing goes for Gohan. I'm glad that he hasn't been eliminated already but he hasn't done much either so I'm kinda meh at this point about his overall ToP performance.
"Gohan, let it go. It is not a sin to fight for the right cause. There are those who words alone will not reach. Cell is such a being. I know how you feel Gohan, you are gentle, you do not like to hurt. I know because I too have learned these feelings. But it is because you cherish life that you must protect it. Please drop your restraints. Protect the life I once loved. You have the strength, my scanners sensed it..." -Android 16

Gray Riders
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Gray Riders » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:51 pm

It counts for something, but usually not much. Under the particular rules of this tournament it can mean more depending on how much the final team wins by.

JulianStyles
Banned

Post by JulianStyles » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:58 pm

LightBing wrote:The fact that the anime barely show us what the other fighters are doing, even in passage, takes away any possible merit. Does it matter if x character reaches the top 10, if he/she/it literally did nothing until that point.

Maybe if Super gave us a more dynamic battle royal, where even if a character wasn't given much screen-time the atmosphere and chaos, together with the constant revealing of dangerous foes would make us think: "wow this character is still in, it must super strong or have crazy techniques".

Personally unless you did something you have no merit. You might just have been sitting in the background waiting, while everyone else is in a queue to fight Goku. That's the feeling the show has given me.
I understand where you coming from. It would be nice seeing guys like Piccolo and Roshi dodging Kales blast. But instead we got Botamo and magetta. Did Piccolo fight that guy he was spared up with last episode? We just have to assume these things.

Akiras notes were probably just order and time of eliminations and maybe some highlights of who people fight or purpose they had.

JulianStyles
Banned

Post by JulianStyles » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:02 pm

What if a character is does nothing like Piccolo but in the end U7 has 3 fighters and say U11 has 2. And U7 wins because Piccolo lasted to the end. But had the least amount of eliminations? But he survived attacks from strong foes and played it smart.

Gray Riders
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Gray Riders » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:08 pm

JulianStyles wrote: What if a character is does nothing like Piccolo but in the end U7 has 3 fighters and say U11 has 2. And U7 wins because Piccolo lasted to the end. But had the least amount of eliminations? But he survived attacks from strong foes and played it smart.
That would mean Piccolo did a good job; it's why I noted that "Under the particular rules of this tournament it can mean more depending on how much the final team wins by."
However, it would still be possible for someone who was eliminated earlier to have done better. So for instance if Vegeta got knocked out but got 15 eliminations he probably did better than Piccolo since he cleared the board so much.
For things like this you can really only use personal judgement.

Akyon
Regular

Post by Akyon » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:11 pm

The Trio De Dangers have been vastly superior to anything universe 3, 4 or 10 have thrown our way.

I'm far more impressed with Basil than I am with Muchirim for example even though the latter lasted longer and punched Toppo once or twice.

But then I'm also more impressed with Botamo and Magetta's ability to counter Vegeta than I am with Cabba despite Cabba getting KOs and neither Botamo or Magetta getting a single KO.

Performance is key I suppose.
Favourite User quote:
Vice wrote:"Look at all these characters getting some shine in the buildup for the tournament of power, maybe we'll get to see some other characters do some stuff instead of the same old shit."
1. Goku (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitor & Vegeta (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitors

"Fuck."

TysonWine
Beyond Newbie

Post by TysonWine » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:16 pm

I agree with everything said in this thread, BUT we have to remember that if time expires, the universe with the most warriors wins. Based on that rule, just making it to the end warrants some credit. Strategically, the universe with the most warriors will never reach a point where they have to start making eliminations, leading to panic and recklessness.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:42 pm

Piccolo literally hasn't done anything 7 eps into the tournament thus far, do you really think this amounts to anything? No, but since we know Piccolo will start getting fights soon it'll even out.

JulianStyles
Banned

Post by JulianStyles » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:56 pm

precita wrote:Piccolo literally hasn't done anything 7 eps into the tournament thus far, do you really think this amounts to anything? No, but since we know Piccolo will start getting fights soon it'll even out.
I findbit funny. Last episode the god pad showed the Namekians. So that means the fighters see them. Yet no one has said anything. Lol some suspense. I think the U4 fighters have been revealed too. One is a bug hiding underground names Damon. The other is a girl version of that spy.

Ilikepictures-meh
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ilikepictures-meh » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:26 pm

JulianStyles wrote:
precita wrote:Piccolo literally hasn't done anything 7 eps into the tournament thus far, do you really think this amounts to anything? No, but since we know Piccolo will start getting fights soon it'll even out.
I findbit funny. Last episode the god pad showed the Namekians. So that means the fighters see them. Yet no one has said anything. Lol some suspense. I think the U4 fighters have been revealed too. One is a bug hiding underground names Damon. The other is a girl version of that spy.
The U4 members that are hiding were not shown once so ever on Zeno's tablet, so that's false and I have no idea why you're spreading false information or where you got that from. Everything you just stated about U4 are rumors, nothing more.

Also lasting longer means nothing if you hardly did anything, Basil had a better performance then most of the eliminated characters, despite being one of the first characters eliminated along with his universe simply because he actually did something other then stand around and get eliminated.

JulianStyles
Banned

Post by JulianStyles » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:45 pm

Ilikepictures-meh wrote:
JulianStyles wrote:
The U4 members that are hiding were not shown once so ever on Zeno's tablet, so that's false and I have no idea why you're spreading false information or where you got that from. Everything you just stated about U4 are rumors, nothing more.

Also lasting longer means nothing if you hardly did anything, Basil had a better performance then most of the eliminated characters, despite being one of the first characters eliminated along with his universe simply because he actually did something other then stand around and get eliminated.
I should have separated my sentence better. U4 fighter no are not seen on Zenos pad. But awhile ago a biography of a fighter was hacked on the Toei website. The name was Damon, a bug thats underground that uses self destruct tactics. Thats a fact and not a rumor. And he hasnt been officially revealed. But he is in that collage that showed each universe in some promotion or intro. Hes way in the back ground faint, also the other that girl can be seen aswell in that same collage/promotional things.

So I did not mean it was shown on the pad. But the community has already figured it out.

DainIronfoot
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DainIronfoot » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:35 am

Boo Machine wrote:It depends. If Character 1 knocked out a few fighters but is the first one out on their team, while Character 2 stood by and did nothing but is one of the last ones out, then Character 1 was probably more of an asset.

Indeed. If let's say Roshi/Tien/Piccolo etc lasted longer than Kuririn but did nothing or got less eliminations/assists, then Kuririn outperformed. Really depends on who does what rather than who lasted longer by staying with a group not doing anything or hiding etc. I'm looking for who contributed the most...

Sodhi
I Live Here

Post by Sodhi » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:02 am

I am one who believes that yes, it is a feat on its own to last longer in this tournament. This is 80 tuff warriors going at each other, some of them really strong. If someone can survive this and make it far like in top 20 or 10, it sure is a feat. We know that there are fighters who most of the people cannot beat, so for people other than the top dogs lasting longer should be considered a feat.

JulianStyles
Banned

Post by JulianStyles » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:06 am

DainIronfoot wrote:
Boo Machine wrote:It depends. If Character 1 knocked out a few fighters but is the first one out on their team, while Character 2 stood by and did nothing but is one of the last ones out, then Character 1 was probably more of an asset.

Indeed. If let's say Roshi/Tien/Piccolo etc lasted longer than Kuririn but did nothing or got less eliminations/assists, then Kuririn outperformed. Really depends on who does what rather than who lasted longer by staying with a group not doing anything or hiding etc. I'm looking for who contributed the most...
Ok so lets say Krillin has a hand in 3 eliminations and a save. And Piccolo has 2 eliminations and a save. But lasted 10 more episodes than Krillin. Who did better? Keep in mind a point I made earlier. Those that have lasted are dealing with more destruction. More close calls like Kales barrage, Ribrianes love mist. Which if you are honest with yourself Krillin would have been susceptible to. Lasting longer against stronger fighters.

Because I think Roshi will end up with a hand in 3 eliminations but no saves but lasted 6 more episodes and had to fend for himself alone twice. In my book that will put him above Krillins accomplishments.

DainIronfoot
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DainIronfoot » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:10 am

JulianStyles wrote:
DainIronfoot wrote:

Ok so lets say Krillin has a hand in 3 eliminations and a save. And Piccolo has 2 eliminations and a save. But lasted 10 more episodes than Krillin. Who did better? Keep in mind a point I made earlier. Those that have lasted are dealing with more destruction. More close calls like Kales barrage, Ribrianes love mist. Which if you are honest with yourself Krillin would have been susceptible to. Lasting longer against stronger fighters.

Because I think Roshi will end up with a hand in 3 eliminations but no saves but lasted 6 more episodes and had to fend for himself alone twice. In my book that will put him above Krillins accomplishments.

Kuririn wouldn't be susceptible to the mist...he loves 18. In your scenario and dependant on the situation, it can still be Kuririn who did better. It depends what exactly Piccolo does. If one is hiding and not assisting at all, then I don't consider it much. The only reason Kuririn went out in the first place was to save 18 (which counts as a point). Although, the Roshi scenario is definitely in his favor. From what he's been doing and seems to keep doing, he's def on track to pass Kuririn's successes in the ToP.

JulianStyles
Banned

Post by JulianStyles » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:23 am

I agree. Curious to see exactly how much Piccolo will help Gohan next episode.