Will the 'End of Z' Timeline still be Adhered to?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MR.Mark
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Will the 'End of Z' Timeline still be Adhered to?

Post by MR.Mark » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:19 am

I'm not totally against it and it could very well improve how we look upon the ending with Uub. It's just that there's only what, four more years till EOZ? They better make those count then.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:22 am

MR.Mark wrote:I'm not totally against it and it could very well improve how we look upon the ending with Uub. It's just that there's only what, four more years till EOZ? They better make those count then.
I think the real problem is Goku coming back for Uub at that point made sense. Last we had seen Goku wished Buu to be reincarnated as a good person, then we skip to their meeting.

The role doesnt feel forced for Goku at that point...its a natural progression.

So yeah they foreshadowed Uub a bit this arc but it still feels like a really unnatural progression. They need to somehow bridge that.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:45 am

I don't think that aspect is to much of a problem, I just don't want all this new mythology rushed to a finish line of sorts. With how well Super is doing, I'd actually be surprised if they don't go past EOZ.

That said, Goku facing more threats before Uub is fine because majin buu didn't have any special ties to Goku or anyone. Uub was just a reincarnation of, at the time, strongest villain he faced. With Super existing it could give Goku's excitement to train Uub a far more meaningful reason. For all we know Goku will talk to his Grandpa one last time before the tournament with Uub approaches.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:06 am

Considering the show dropped a few mentions of Oob being born and Toyotaro flat out stating that Super will head into EOZ, yes. The EOZ timeline will still be adhered to.

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:18 am

sintzu wrote: I'm guessing we'll have 3-5 arcs after the current one before he hands things over to everyone else involved with the franchise to move on from EOZ.
Or he could just end the series at that point. Wasn't Super originally only advertised to occur in the time period between Buu and EoZ anyway? Why does it need to go beyond it?

I'm not really sure why people want DBS to go on for that long. If it gets to the point that Toriyama has almost zero involvement, I think it could risk losing a lot of its charm and might even wind up becoming too similar to GT in quality.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:22 am

Marlowe89 wrote:
sintzu wrote: I'm guessing we'll have 3-5 arcs after the current one before he hands things over to everyone else involved with the franchise to move on from EOZ.
Or he could just end the series at that point. Wasn't Super originally only advertised to occur in the time period between Buu and EoZ anyway? Why does it need to go beyond it?

I'm not really sure why people want DBS to go on for that long. If it gets to the point that Toriyama has almost zero involvement, I think it could risk losing a lot of its charm and might even wind up becoming too similar to GT in quality.
As much hate as GT gets, its waaay better than having nothing IMO. It wasnt a terrible show...just not what people wanted/expected next. It was almost like a Goku side story.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:25 am

GodKaio-Ken wrote:
Marlowe89 wrote:

As much hate as GT gets, its waaay better than having nothing IMO. It wasnt a terrible show...just not what people wanted/expected next. It was almost like a Goku side story.
I agree, it's better to have something than nothing at all. Though I hope that if Toriyama stops writing Super they will tell us so and rename the show.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:28 am

emperior wrote:
GodKaio-Ken wrote:
Marlowe89 wrote:

I agree, it's better to have something than nothing at all. Though I hope that if Toriyama stops writing Super they will tell us so and rename the show.
Yeah I've been saying for a while if they do go beyond Z they should rebrand. Call it "Dragon Ball: After Z" or something like that. Obviously there are better names than that one :lol:

Agreed though when he has no involvement they should tell us. I think they will though?

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:32 am

GodKaio-Ken wrote:
emperior wrote:
GodKaio-Ken wrote:
Yeah I've been saying for a while if they do go beyond Z they should rebrand. Call it "Dragon Ball: After Z" or something like that. Obviously there are better names than that one :lol:

Agreed though when he has no involvement they should tell us. I think they will though?
I think they wouldn't really publish the fact Toriyama stopped writing stories but they would stop marketing the new arcs as being written by Toriyama and in the credits Toriyama would only be credited as original author.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:10 am

I don't much see what it matters. I imagine that once Shueisha is ready to move past the Twenty-Eighth Tenka'ichi Budoukai Toyo-tarou will be allowed to write story arcs that Toei Animation will adapt into their own series.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:13 am

Marlowe89 wrote:Wasn't Super originally only advertised to occur in the time period between Buu and EoZ anyway ?

Why does it need to go beyond it?
Yes and that's where i expect it to stay, I was talking about the franchise as a whole. One Toriyama's done as in once Super's done, Toriyama will hand things over to the staff to do something else that'll most likely be after EOZ.

Because the franchise is making millions of $$$ and once Toriyama's over someone else will take over so they might as well go beyond it.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

omaro34

Post by omaro34 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:26 am

So from an in-universe perspective, Goku and Vegeta could have transformed to Blue no problem in the 28th Tourney.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:38 am

They will end Super and give us Heroes anime with all the crazy shit that's happening there and most importantly, with Broly being a main stay :lol:

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:08 am

Xeogran wrote:They will end Super and give us Heroes anime with all the crazy shit that's happening there
Which would be more interesting and logical if compared to what has been seen in Dragon Ball Super. :roll:
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:38 am

Marlowe89 wrote:Why does it need to go beyond it?
It doesint need to, but it's open ended enough that it could. However if Super does some amazing things leading up to Uub and Toriyama calls it quits id be OK with that too.

gofishus
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gofishus » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:52 pm

GodKaio-Ken wrote:
emperior wrote:
GodKaio-Ken wrote:

There is already a Dragonball series that happens after End of Z; its called Dragonball GT.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:54 pm

gofishus wrote:
GodKaio-Ken wrote:
emperior wrote: I agree, it's better to have something than nothing at all. Though I hope that if Toriyama stops writing Super they will tell us so and rename the show.

There is already a Dragonball series that happens after End of Z; its called Dragonball GT.
Its not part of the Super continuity though. Most people consider GT either a sort of alternate story if Super never happened and a few consider it canon over Super...but both cant exist in the same universe.

gofishus
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gofishus » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:57 pm

GodKaio-Ken wrote:
gofishus wrote:
GodKaio-Ken wrote:

Its not part of the Super continuity though. Most people consider GT either a sort of alternate story if Super never happened and a few consider it canon over Super...but both cant exist in the same universe.
I don't really see why it can't. If Super is the story between Z and EoZ then in theory GT can pick up right after it left off. I know there will be some weirdness because of the power of Super with God ki and stuff like that is way beyond anything in GT, but if they're gonna adhere to EoZ then they have to dial back down the power anyways. If you disregard the power inconsistencies in theory they can both co-exist. Canon vs non-Canon is a non issue; the Super anime doesn't exactly follow the manga anyways and I find it quite ridiculous to base one's enjoyment of a series based on whether or not its 'canon'

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:05 pm

I'm pretty sure it's been said that GT is supposed to be considered an alternative "what if" sequel for DBZ. In fact, it's treated as such in the Xenoverse games.

Honestly, I'd wonder if Toei does adhere to EoZ, if they'd have the balls to then go "This is officially what happens after Goku leaves with Uub to go train" and make a whole new sequel that officially replaces GT.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:09 pm

gofishus wrote:
GodKaio-Ken wrote:
gofishus wrote:

I don't really see why it can't. If Super is the story between Z and EoZ then in theory GT can pick up right after it left off. I know there will be some weirdness because of the power of Super with God ki and stuff like that is way beyond anything in GT, but if they're gonna adhere to EoZ then they have to dial back down the power anyways. If you disregard the power inconsistencies in theory they can both co-exist. Canon vs non-Canon is a non issue; the Super anime doesn't exactly follow the manga anyways and I find it quite ridiculous to base one's enjoyment of a series based on whether or not its 'canon'
There are other problems too. Like in GT Shin and Kibito are still fused.