What's up with Tenshinhan this arc?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

gohan_black
Beyond Newbie

Re: What's up with Tenshinhan this arc?

Post by gohan_black » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:43 am

JazzHands wrote:
gohan_black wrote:
TheDevilsCorpse wrote: This is only one example from multiple threads, but please don't do this. Kanzenshuu is not a social media site. As outlined in the fourm rules, which you agreed to twice prior to registering, you are expected to contribute posts with at least a little bit of substance. Avoid these types of brief, fluff comments and typing in all caps unnecessarily.

You've already been warned about this before. Continuing will result in account strikes being issued to your account.
HOW DARE I MAKE A SHORT COMMENT. I'm THE BIGGEST CRIMINAL IN THE WORLD
I'm new here and do not want to get in trouble. I do not see how this is a negative? Or should even moderated to a point of threatening someone. Does it cost the site money or server space every time someone comments? Is there a limit? How much substance can their be talking about a children's cartoon in which the Author does not think hard about back story or logic. Same goes for the company. These writers are not Harvard scale we can agree on that.
I KNOW I'm SHOCKED MYSELF. ASIDE FROM MY PROBLEM WITH MY KEYBOARD WHICH FORCE ME TO TYPE IN CAPS WHICH I CAN SEE WHY ITS A PROBLEM. BUT ALL I DID WAS MAKE A REFRENCE TO TOEI STUFF MEMBER WHO SAID TIENSENHAN GONNA HAVE SHINE MOMENTS. THAT COMMENT WAS A REFRENCE TO THAT. THAT ALL MY CRIME IS. I DONT TYPE LONG COMMENTS CUZ I'm NOT GOOD AT ENGLISH AND I DONT HAVE ANYTHING TO EXPEND MORE THEN OTHERS ALREADY DID. I DONT UNDERSTAND HOW IS IT A CRIME TO WRITE A SHORT COMMENT. ESPECIELLY WHEN ITS RELEVENT

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:47 am

Tien was the most pointless edition to the Uni 7 team. At least Yamcha would have added comedic relief--even more so if he ended up being the last remaining character in the tournament. Tien is a worthless character in Super. Brings absolutely nothing to the table and deserves to be written off like Launch.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:19 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:Tien was the most pointless edition to the Uni 7 team. At least Yamcha would have added comedic relief--even more so if he ended up being the last remaining character in the tournament. Tien is a worthless character in Super. Brings absolutely nothing to the table and deserves to be written off like Launch.
With the way they've been writing him, there wouldn't be any loss from me if Ten never showed up again. They clearly don't give a fuck about Ten, and they've failed to make me give two shits about him either.

gohan_black
Beyond Newbie

Post by gohan_black » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:30 pm

Jigurashi wrote:
fadeddreams5 wrote:Tien was the most pointless edition to the Uni 7 team. At least Yamcha would have added comedic relief--even more so if he ended up being the last remaining character in the tournament. Tien is a worthless character in Super. Brings absolutely nothing to the table and deserves to be written off like Launch.
With the way they've been writing him, there wouldn't be any loss from me if Ten never showed up again. They clearly don't give a fuck about Ten, and they've failed to make me give two shits about him either.
AT LEAST HES THERE WITH THE Z FIGHTERS UNLIKE IN BUU SEGA AND GT WHERE HE WAS NOT

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:31 pm

gohan_black wrote:
Jigurashi wrote:
AT LEAST HES THERE WITH THE Z FIGHTERS UNLIKE IN BUU SEGA AND GT WHERE HE WAS NOT
His little moment in the Buu saga was better than everything he has accomplished in Super.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Shinda Forever
Temporarily Banned

Post by Shinda Forever » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:41 pm

He brings the shin kikoho and his enhanced vision, but, what they did with him was pathetic.
If this is what they are available to do with him, the best is to let him go, the same is valid for Krillin that brings absolutely nothing to the table as well.
Tenshinhan should have stayed dead after the saiyan saga and remain as a Kaioh warrior forever, because, that way he could have trained and fought forever in the other world. This way he would be a warrior in the Paikuhan saga and a lot more powerful than he is today.

gohan_black
Beyond Newbie

Post by gohan_black » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:08 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:
gohan_black wrote:
Jigurashi wrote: With the way they've been writing him, there wouldn't be any loss from me if Ten never showed up again. They clearly don't give a fuck about Ten, and they've failed to make me give two shits about him either.
His little moment in the Buu saga was better than everything he has accomplished in Super.
BUT HE WAS NOT WITH THE Z FIGHTERS. GOKU TELLING IN THE TOURNAMENT THAT TIEN SAID HE WILL NEVER SEE THEM AGAIN. LIKE HES AN OUTSIDER. NOW COMPARE IT TO SUPER WHERE HE WAS PRESENT AT BULMA BIRTDAY PARTY. AGAINST FRIEZA AND NOW IN THE THE TOURNAMENT. AND IN ALL CASES HE PARTICIPATED IN THE FIGHTING . THEN HE GOT AN EPISODE AND MET WITH GOKU. AT LEAST IN SUPER HES A Z FIGHTER. IN BUU SEGA AND GT HE WASENT EVEN THAT. HE WASENT EVEN GOOD ENOUGH IN GT TO SAY GOODBYE TO GOKU. YOU PEOPLE EXAGERATTE TOO MUCH. TIEN GET BETTER TREATMENT IN DRAGON BALL THEN HE GOT IN MOST OF Z

JazzHands

Post by JazzHands » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:25 pm

Do not know how you can say that. As his abilities is the only way to find the Sniper that had Piccolo and Gohan pinned down. Yamcha would not have been able to do that. It's all about writing. I bet the manga will be different. They did not use his four witches technique in the tournament. All the bringing back of old attacks. Yet we did not see the Dodonpa or eye lasers. Every episode Tien was featured in he was dealt a bad hand by the writer. Episode 89 and 90 could have been better. If they are keeping Roshi in for a long time. Then maybe have Tien eliminate that green bird in Krillins episode. Episode 106 show him eliminating one person before he notices Gohan and Piccolo. Let him eliminate Prum and Rota. Tien had his kikoho charged before the sniper fired his attack. Also why couldnt Tien jump up? Why use all 3 clones? It was bad just plain bad writing. But he was not a waste as 2 eliminations and helping 3 of his team mates was much more than 90% of the other fighters in the tournament.

supercat
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by supercat » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:35 pm

No idea why Tien even bothered showing his face against a new-and-improved Frieza. Who does he think he is? He should have quietly stayed where he was, maybe making a positive remark or two about Goku and Vegeta, then making a scared remark about how powerful Frieza is.

Goten and Trunks should have been the ones to have fought against the Frieza Force in his place.

Tien's charade of jokes not only embarrassed himself (silly poses, wimpy paper-like clones, pathetic Tri-beam, humbling before what's presumably another fodder), but Piccolo (who already is a pile of embarrassment) and sadly Gohan as well.

Then Piccolo has the nerve to smile at the end. Must have been that proud to be rescued by some weakling no one really cares about. Heck even Krillin stood up to Tien and defended Vegeta's loyalty.

Hopefully, the only commentating Tien does will be about Goku, Vegeta, Gohan, Android 17, and Freeza.

Shinda Forever
Temporarily Banned

Post by Shinda Forever » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:58 pm

supercat wrote:No idea why Tien even bothered showing his face against a new-and-improved Frieza. Who does he think he is? He should have quietly stayed where he was, maybe making a positive remark or two about Goku and Vegeta, then making a scared remark about how powerful Frieza is.

Goten and Trunks should have been the ones to have fought against the Frieza Force in his place.

Tien's charade of jokes not only embarrassed himself (silly poses, wimpy paper-like clones, pathetic Tri-beam, humbling before what's presumably another fodder), but Piccolo (who already is a pile of embarrassment) and sadly Gohan as well.

Then Piccolo has the nerve to smile at the end. Must have been that proud to be rescued by some weakling no one really cares about. Heck even Krillin stood up to Tien and defended Vegeta's loyalty.

Hopefully, the only commentating Tien does will be about Goku, Vegeta, Gohan, Android 17, and Freeza.
What about Roshi? What the fuck is he doing in the tournament? It was stated that he was garbage in db, now in db super he can fight evenly with base Goku, give me a fucking break.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:17 pm

Shinda Forever wrote:
supercat wrote:No idea why Tien even bothered showing his face against a new-and-improved Frieza. Who does he think he is? He should have quietly stayed where he was, maybe making a positive remark or two about Goku and Vegeta, then making a scared remark about how powerful Frieza is.

What about Roshi? What the fuck is he doing in the tournament? It was stated that he was garbage in db, now in db super he can fight evenly with base Goku, give me a fucking break.
Episode 105 literally tells you why Roshi is in the tournament.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:23 pm

I'm very confident that conditional circumstances would have seen Roshi get eliminated all the same as Krillin or Tenshinhan if he had been placed into their situation. Frost is far too powerful for any of them to attempt a resistance, whether their guard is up or not, and Hermila's cloak & dagger feint had the makings of what Shosa accomplished as he was pushing #18 to the brink of elimination with his deceptive posturing. It's sad to say but two of the three humans may have been afterthoughts in the minds of the studio because their roles seemed to be last minute with not very much substance to them. Krillin succeeds with his wife in outmanoeuvring Shosa and is able to get the upperhand against Majora with a pungent smell inhibiting shoe, but when you look at what some of the other U7 members have been able to accomplish like in the fight with the Trio de Dangers, you realise that Krillin and Tenshinhan's fights weren't very thorough or high in quality.

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:27 pm

Lionel wrote:I'm very confident that conditional circumstances would have seen Roshi get eliminated all the same as Krillin or Tenshinhan if he had been placed into their situation. Frost is far too powerful for any of them to attempt a resistance, whether their guard is up or not, and Hermila's cloak & dagger feint had the makings of what Shosa accomplished as he was pushing #18 to the brink of elimination with his deceptive posturing. It's sad to say but two of the three humans may have been afterthoughts in the minds of the studio because their roles seemed to be last minute with not very much substance to them. Krillin succeeds with his wife in outmanoeuvring Shosa and is able to get the upperhand against Majora with a pungent smell inhibiting shoe, but when you look at what some of the other U7 members have been able to accomplish like in the fight with the Trio de Dangers, you realise that Krillin and Tenshinhan's fights weren't very thorough or high in quality.
It makes it worse for Ten considering the guy doesn't have a single hand-to-hand feat in the ToP. Meaning the only close quarters feats we have for him are in the recruitment arc which has him getting bodied. Like they couldn't even give him a nice close combat fight? Sucks he never really got to throw a punch.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:44 pm

Jigurashi wrote:
Lionel wrote:I'm very confident that conditional circumstances would have seen Roshi get eliminated all the same as Krillin or Tenshinhan if he had been placed into their situation. Frost is far too powerful for any of them to attempt a resistance, whether their guard is up or not, and Hermila's cloak & dagger feint had the makings of what Shosa accomplished as he was pushing #18 to the brink of elimination with his deceptive posturing. It's sad to say but two of the three humans may have been afterthoughts in the minds of the studio because their roles seemed to be last minute with not very much substance to them. Krillin succeeds with his wife in outmanoeuvring Shosa and is able to get the upperhand against Majora with a pungent smell inhibiting shoe, but when you look at what some of the other U7 members have been able to accomplish like in the fight with the Trio de Dangers, you realise that Krillin and Tenshinhan's fights weren't very thorough or high in quality.
It makes it worse for Ten considering the guy doesn't have a single hand-to-hand feat in the ToP. Meaning the only close quarters feats we have for him are in the recruitment arc which has him getting bodied. Like they couldn't even give him a nice close combat fight? Sucks he never really got to throw a punch.
Agreed. I always thought Tenshinhan was one of the better hand-to-hand practitioners of Universe 7. The potential applications of his Shiyoken ability would make him very dangerous to anyone hoping to fight him at equal levels. Yes, Goku managed to outperform it, but that was after having ingrained the memory of King Chappa's Hasshuken style into his own. Furthermore, Goku was only able to escape having his limbs restrained by the usage of his now missing fifth appendage, the tail. I don't see why Tenshinhan couldn't mimic the Hasshuken style himself and turn his Shiyoken into sixteen makeshift "arms" like the eight Goku was able to project during their first battle. Such a style would require a highly advanced level of coordination and with Tenshinhan's third eye, I think it would be difficult to get the drop on him.

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:46 pm

Lionel wrote:
Jigurashi wrote:
Agreed. I always thought Tenshinhan was one of the better hand-to-hand practitioners of Universe 7. The potential applications of his Shiyoken ability would make him very dangerous to anyone hoping to fight him at equal levels. Yes, Goku managed to outperform it, but that was after having ingrained the memory of King Chappa's Hasshuken style into his own. Furthermore, Goku was only able to escape having his limbs restrained by the usage of his now missing fifth appendage, the tail. I don't see why Tenshinhan couldn't mimic the Hasshuken style himself and turn his Shiyoken into sixteen makeshift "arms" like the eight Goku was able to project during their first battle. Such a style would require a highly advanced level of coordination and with Tenshinhan's third eye, I think it would be difficult to get the drop on him.
This is true, I guess AT just didn't think of it at the time. As far as hand-to-hand goes, there aren't many characters I'd put over Tenshinhan. I'd put Goku over him for sure, as Ten himself admitted Goku was a better fighter than him back in the 22nd Budokai. Piccolo and Vegeta hand went toe-to-toe with an even more skilled Goku in close quarters. Though a thing I've noticed in all of Goku's biggest matches in the Budokais (VS Jackie Chun, VS Tenshinhan, VS Piccolo Jr.) he either had the edge on them in close combat, or he'd always manage to one up anything they were able to do, despite the fact he lost to 2 of them. Ten is quite skilled in close combat. You don't have to look any further than his battles with Goku, Roshi, and Yamcha to see it. If I had to comprise a top 5 of U7's gang it probably would include Goku, Ten, Piccolo, and Vegeta in no order. A person for the 5th spot would be the trickiest as you could make a case for Kuririn or Roshi.

Ziegander
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ziegander » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:05 pm

Tenshinhan is the only character participating in the Tournament of Power that, as far as I can tell, through feats and through writing implications, has actually gotten significantly weaker, which is super sad, because I feel like, out of perhaps all of the human fighters, and maybe even some of the non-humans, I think the case can easily be made that Tien deserved a power-up more than any of them. They bastardized his personality, and made a complete joke out of his fighting ability (though, I did think Gohan's axe-handling him through a mountain was a damn fine durability feat, when have we ever seen Tien take a hit like that), and then simply wrote him out of the tournament in, what I felt was the worst episode of Super I've watched, not just because of Tien's mishandling but also because literally every character involved on the Z-Fighter's side looked idiotic, pathetic, and illogical.

If ki generation, power, and intensity is now being related to emotional stability and mental wellness, then zen-warrior Tenshinhan deserves a mighty boost and learning to harness the true powers of his third eye could have provided just one easy avenue for improvement, but he could have also improved on a number of his old techniques. How have none of the humans learned to better any of their techniques except Krillin? And all he did was improve the Solar Flare which he used on a blind guy. Epic. Facepalm.
My Full Rewrite of the Moro Arc

I've begun a full-scale re-write of the Tournament of Power! Here's Ch. 1, here's Ch.
, and here's Ch.
3!

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:38 pm

Is it odd of me to wish that someone unexpected like Tenshinhan would defeat Jiren not through power but through dexterous martial arts technique? Just because his external physiological musculature would be the equivalent of adamantium to someone of Tenshinhan's relatively limited power doesn't mean he couldn't find some alternative way of inflicting damage. External damage is impracticable due to Jiren's Ki shielding him from insufficient force to pierce through, but what about internal damage? Striking the most vulnerable spots of the meridian system should work, especially the areas that cannot be physically bolstered by Ki. We saw Hit use pressure point strikes in his battle with Vegeta.

[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]

Some of those attacks should have incapacitated Vegeta right on the spot if we're being biologically consistent -- the temple region, external carotid artery and larynx were all apparently struck. All of those regions are noted to be very dangerous areas to strike because they have the potential to induce hemorrhaging, respiratory trauma, and arterial complications. Hit must have been heavily restricting his attacks because otherwise Vegeta would have been knocked out almost immediately, if not killed. A lot of other points on the body should also be vulnerable like the sternum, forearm, behind the collarbone, and ect. For someone like Tenshinhan, they would want to attack the areas with less muscle like behind the jawline where the temporomandibular joint is, ears, and eyes.

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:20 pm

Lionel wrote:Is it odd of me to wish that someone unexpected like Tenshinhan would defeat Jiren not through power but through dexterous martial arts technique? Just because his external physiological musculature would be the equivalent of adamantium to someone of Tenshinhan's relatively limited power doesn't mean he couldn't find some alternative way of inflicting damage. External damage is impracticable due to Jiren's Ki shielding him from insufficient force to pierce through, but what about internal damage? Striking the most vulnerable spots of the meridian system should work, especially the areas that cannot be physically bolstered by Ki. We saw Hit use pressure point strikes in his battle with Vegeta.

[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]

Some of those attacks should have incapacitated Vegeta right on the spot if we're being biologically consistent -- the temple region, external carotid artery and larynx were all apparently struck. All of those regions are noted to be very dangerous areas to strike because they have the potential to induce hemorrhaging, respiratory trauma, and arterial complications. Hit must have been heavily restricting his attacks because otherwise Vegeta would have been knocked out almost immediately, if not killed. A lot of other points on the body should also be vulnerable like the sternum, forearm, behind the collarbone, and ect. For someone like Tenshinhan, they would want to attack the areas with less muscle like behind the jawline where the temporomandibular joint is, ears, and eyes.
Personally I'm quite excited to see Goku VS Jiren. Goku himself is a very skilled fighter and I'll likely start liking Jiren when he fights Goku in the same vein that I started to like Hitto when he fought Goku. As for the internal damage thing, Hitto even stated that Vegeta was the first to take that many hits without being knocked out. Of course as we know, Goku then later on takes even far more punishment there than Vegeta.

The idea of a weaker fighter taking down someone as powerful as Jiren could be cool depending on how it's handled. The problem is since Jiren is so massively above most characters, they'd just be blitzed and one-shotted before they could do anything. For example, Hitto. He's a SSB level fighter, but nothing he's done as put him on Current SSBKKx10 level, and we know Goku has SSBKKx20 that makes Hitto even more fodder to Goku and by extension Jiren. Goku stalemated Hitto last time in SSB only, and he's going to nee something > SSBKKx20 to match Jiren. Hitto is the only character we know that regularly fights by targeting pressure points, but he can't really do shit to Jiren on account of Jiren being massively above him, and having full knowledge on his skillset. SSB Vegeta and Hitto were of a similar level.

supercat
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by supercat » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:20 pm

If Jiren lost to a pile of garbage like Tien, I'd be speechless. Tien isn't even worthy of facing off against even the weakest of the Pride Troopers let alone Jiren. Jiren's presence itself would probably scare the Tri-beam out of Tien.

I don't get how anyone thinks Tien is a good fighter. Someone like Frieza would destroy him in hand to hand combat, even at equal powerlevels. Heck, give Tien a 2x boost over Frieza and he'd still lose! Frieza's movements are so graceful, not to mention completely dynamic and acrobatic. Tien would never be able to keep up with that. By the time he detects Frieza's movements he'd have a fist crammed into his abdomen, or find he's being crushed helplessly by the tyrant's tail. And by the time he realizes that, he'd already be on his way into a cavern where the tyrant appears right in front of him and hits him with an acrobatic attack of some sort. This is all assuming Tien isn't one-shotted. He seems fragile compared to someone like Frieza.

Piccolo may have an edge in fighting skill, but even then, I don't see how Piccolo is a better fighter than someone like Goku and Vegeta, especially considering how much the duo fights and trains compared to the babysitter who probably wastes a lot of his free time talking to his wimpy friend Popo.

I can't believe Piccolo had the nerve to smile when Tien saved him. He's actually proud that some fodder trash saved him? Shows what kind of character Piccolo is. Yeah, he's really best off humbling before Frieza on his knees. Frieza wanted to offer Nail the job before, so of course an SSJ2-busting Namekian would be a great addition to his team.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:32 pm

JazzHands wrote:
Do not know how you can say that.
Well, let me explain...
As his abilities is the only way to find the Sniper that had Piccolo and Gohan pinned down. Yamcha would not have been able to do that. It's all about writing. I bet the manga will be different. They did not use his four witches technique in the tournament. All the bringing back of old attacks. Yet we did not see the Dodonpa or eye lasers. Every episode Tien was featured in he was dealt a bad hand by the writer. Episode 89 and 90 could have been better. If they are keeping Roshi in for a long time. Then maybe have Tien eliminate that green bird in Krillins episode. Episode 106 show him eliminating one person before he notices Gohan and Piccolo. Let him eliminate Prum and Rota. Tien had his kikoho charged before the sniper fired his attack. Also why couldnt Tien jump up? Why use all 3 clones? It was bad just plain bad writing. But he was not a waste as 2 eliminations and helping 3 of his team mates was much more than 90% of the other fighters in the tournament.
Nevermind. You did the work for me. Bad writing = bad character. =D