What's up with Tenshinhan this arc?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TajinRice

Re: What's up with Tenshinhan this arc?

Post by TajinRice » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:38 pm

SsjCookie wrote:
Doctor. wrote:In his own episode, meant to showcase his prowess and leadership as a martial arts master, he got fooled, manipulated and later on punked by Roshi. In the following episode, he was in a tag-team battle where clearly he was the weakest link and just all-around seemed like an indecisive and inexperienced newbie when he's a seasoned warrior with tons of experience that should be able to make the best decisions on the fly. Then before the tournament began, he was hesitant to spar with Kuririn. And now in the tournament, the only thing he seems to know how to do is repeat "Sasuga Muten Roshi-sama" over and over and over again.

I don't even like the guy but this is getting embarrassing. I wonder why they even decided to bring him if they're not doing anything with the character.
Maybe they brought him back just to point out how far behind the human fighters are in comparison with the Saiyans.
Roshi was handled decently.
Krillin and Tien?.....not so much.

I kinda understand why they handled Krillin the way they did, he became a family man like Gohan thus fighting is no longer his nr 1 priority.
But Tien on the other hand has no excuse, he dedicated his whole life to the martial arts but has the least to show for it, shame on him. :thumbdown: (shame on the writers really.)
its writing. Toriyama should have been more hands on with each U7 fighter. Toei didnt care about Tenshinhan. And they care to much about Krillin. Toriyama had Krillin out first. All the pre-Krillin hype was so bad story narrative wise. Because it fore shadowed nothing and led to nothing. Toyotaro is a liar. He said he likes to give shine to everyone and balance things out. Well he did not do that. When Toriyama has been invovled like ROF Krillin and Tien got their good showing. I just hope this new movie and new sagas can give us one last real involvement from them. Including Yamcha the fan base wants to see them. Not more Sayains like Caba.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:35 pm

SsjCookie wrote:
Doctor. wrote:In his own episode, meant to showcase his prowess and leadership as a martial arts master, he got fooled, manipulated and later on punked by Roshi. In the following episode, he was in a tag-team battle where clearly he was the weakest link and just all-around seemed like an indecisive and inexperienced newbie when he's a seasoned warrior with tons of experience that should be able to make the best decisions on the fly. Then before the tournament began, he was hesitant to spar with Kuririn. And now in the tournament, the only thing he seems to know how to do is repeat "Sasuga Muten Roshi-sama" over and over and over again.

I don't even like the guy but this is getting embarrassing. I wonder why they even decided to bring him if they're not doing anything with the character.
Maybe they brought him back just to point out how far behind the human fighters are in comparison with the Saiyans.
Roshi was handled decently.
Krillin and Tien?.....not so much.

I kinda understand why they handled Krillin the way they did, he became a family man like Gohan thus fighting is no longer his nr 1 priority.
But Tien on the other hand has no excuse, he dedicated his whole life to the martial arts but has the least to show for it, shame on him. :thumbdown: (shame on the writers really.)
So much of the earthlings falling to the wayside can be traced back to the Freeza arc and the radical escalation in power that was going on to make the important people competitive with Freeza. It inflated things so much that a number of us might have asked, "how are the human fighters like Tenshinhan and Yamcha supposed to compete with that" -- even Krillin was the weakest of the group on Namek, despite reaping some of the benefits from the resources available on-hand with the Grand Elder's potential unlock. We never got much of a reason why but they all were phased out afterwards. We didn't even get to see some kind of pay-off for their training at King Kai's.

I think even if the earthlings had applied themselves they might have found themselves at a disadvantage. It would be understandable since they have no extraordinary traits like transformations to multiply their power level. Being as that may, they failed to even try after Namek. They could have at least used the ROSAT to build themselves up for the sake of improvement. Ten whole days were given for everyone to apply themselves and improve as much as they can for the Cell Games. At most, the Saiyans and Piccolo using the room would have only amounted to four days which they didn't fully take advantage of anyway. What's left is six days for Tenshinhan, Krillin and Yamcha to go in either individually or together.

Yeah, as entertaining as Dragon Ball is, it has to be confessed that it has a number of flaws -- inconsistencies, repetitiveness, missed opportunities, ect.

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:43 pm

Lionel wrote: I think even if the earthlings had applied themselves they might have found themselves at a disadvantage. It would be understandable since they have no extraordinary traits like transformations to multiply their power level. Being as that may, they failed to even try after Namek. They could have at least used the ROSAT to build themselves up for the sake of improvement. Ten whole days were given for everyone to apply themselves and improve as much as they can for the Cell Games. At most, the Saiyans and Piccolo using the room would have only amounted to four days which they didn't fully take advantage of anyway. What's left is six days for Tenshinhan, Krillin and Yamcha to go in either individually or together.

Yeah, as entertaining as Dragon Ball is, it has to be confessed that it has a number of flaws -- inconsistencies, repetitiveness, missed opportunities, ect.
This was addressed, Tenshinhan said he wouldn't use the RoSAT because he was too weak to make a difference regardless of any kind of training.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:01 pm

TheUltimateNinja wrote:
Lionel wrote: I think even if the earthlings had applied themselves they might have found themselves at a disadvantage. It would be understandable since they have no extraordinary traits like transformations to multiply their power level. Being as that may, they failed to even try after Namek. They could have at least used the ROSAT to build themselves up for the sake of improvement. Ten whole days were given for everyone to apply themselves and improve as much as they can for the Cell Games. At most, the Saiyans and Piccolo using the room would have only amounted to four days which they didn't fully take advantage of anyway. What's left is six days for Tenshinhan, Krillin and Yamcha to go in either individually or together.

This was addressed, Tenshinhan said he wouldn't use the RoSAT because he was too weak to make a difference regardless of any kind of training.
Vegeta should have done the same.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:16 pm

TheUltimateNinja wrote:

I stipulated the reasoning for using it. These characters may not have held much worth for the immediate threat but with respect to their careers as fighters and ambition to always push themselves to improve, it wouldn't have been out of character for them to take advantage of the free time, which there was plenty of.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:54 pm

Saturnine wrote:The last posts before the necro seem particularly funny now :D

Tien got freakin Yamcha'd last chapter
I find it more funny with the whole 'Toriyama works more closely with the manga, therefore it's more canon', given all the input the animation staff had in this arc with them designing more of the Pride Troopers and making them heroes.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Saturnine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Saturnine » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:41 am

HeroR wrote:

I find it more funny with the whole 'Toriyama works more closely with the manga, therefore it's more canon', given all the input the animation staff had in this arc with them designing more of the Pride Troopers and making them heroes.
What? From my experience most people think the anime is more canon, since Toyotaro takes some heavy liberties.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:48 am

Saturnine wrote:
HeroR wrote:

What? From my experience most people think the anime is more canon, since Toyotaro takes some heavy liberties.
Not on this site. I see all the time that 'the Super manga is closer to Toriyama's 'vision' since we have interviews with Toriyama and Toyo and none from the anime staff'.
Kanassa wrote:
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:13 am

HeroR wrote:
Saturnine wrote:
HeroR wrote:
Not on this site. I see all the time that 'the Super manga is closer to Toriyama's 'vision' since we have interviews with Toriyama and Toyo and none from the anime staff'.
I have yet to see people say,outside exceptions,that manga is more canon.A lot of people say anime/manga is their personal canon or they feel that either one of them is closer to source material/toriyama.But,I don't see this as the most common opinion on this site.

There might be a few loud people that I might have missed,but operating on that logic anime version is true vision of toei/toriyama(notice how they are implied to be the same)
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:16 am

Hawk9211 wrote: I have yet to see people say,outside exceptions,that manga is more canon.A lot of people say anime/manga is their personal canon or they feel that either one of them is closer to source material/toriyama.But,I don't see this as the most common opinion on this site.

There might be a few loud people that I might have missed,but operating on that logic anime version is true vision of toei/toriyama(notice how they are implied to be the same)
I have seen it on the official announcement thread and scattered across several threads.
Kanassa wrote:

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:19 am

HeroR wrote:
Hawk9211 wrote: I have yet to see people say,outside exceptions,that manga is more canon.A lot of people say anime/manga is their personal canon or they feel that either one of them is closer to source material/toriyama.But,I don't see this as the most common opinion on this site.

I have seen it on the official announcement thread and scattered across several threads.
Yeah,some people say that some people say the opposite.But,I fail to see either as a mainstream opinion.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:37 am

Hawk9211 wrote:
HeroR wrote:

Yeah,some people say that some people say the opposite.But,I fail to see either as a mainstream opinion.
I never said it was a 'mainstream' an opinion.
Kanassa wrote:

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:41 am

HeroR wrote:
Hawk9211 wrote:
HeroR wrote:
I never said it was a 'mainstream' an opinion.
Mainstream/popular on this site.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:43 am

Hawk9211 wrote: Mainstream/popular on this site.
It is popular on this site. Or at the very least, a very vocal stance often thrown around.
Kanassa wrote:

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:43 am

Hawk9211 wrote:Mainstream/popular on this site.
There is no hivemind opinion. Different people think different things, have different opinions, and express them in different ways. This is precisely why none of you can seem to come to a consensus on what that consensus is: there isn't one.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:46 am

HeroR wrote:
Hawk9211 wrote: Mainstream/popular on this site.
It is popular on this site. Or at the very least, a very vocal stance often thrown around.
VegettoEX wrote:
Hawk9211 wrote:Mainstream/popular on this site.
There is no hivemind opinion. Different people think different things, have different opinions, and express them in different ways. This is precisely why none of you can seem to come to a consensus on what that consensus is: there isn't one.
I guess this ends at this.

Akyon
Regular

Post by Akyon » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:46 pm

I feel like I would have preferred Tien losing to Frost in the anime rather than drawing pointlessly with that fairly forgettable sniper character. it would have made Frost feel a hell of a lot more threatening and set up the Frieza-Frost partnership a little better than it was showcased in the anime. After watching Frost take Krillin AND Tenshinhan out seeing him close in on Roshi would have had a far larger perilous feel to it than we ended up with.
Favourite User quote:
Vice wrote:"Look at all these characters getting some shine in the buildup for the tournament of power, maybe we'll get to see some other characters do some stuff instead of the same old shit."
1. Goku (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitor & Vegeta (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitors

"Fuck."

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:29 am

Akyon wrote:I feel like I would have preferred Tien losing to Frost in the anime rather than drawing pointlessly with that fairly forgettable sniper character. it would have made Frost feel a hell of a lot more threatening and set up the Frieza-Frost partnership a little better than it was showcased in the anime. After watching Frost take Krillin AND Tenshinhan out seeing him close in on Roshi would have had a far larger perilous feel to it than we ended up with.
I quite enjoyed watching Tenshinhan make a fool out of himself, though.

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:05 am

Akyon wrote:I feel like I would have preferred Tien losing to Frost in the anime rather than drawing pointlessly with that fairly forgettable sniper character. it would have made Frost feel a hell of a lot more threatening and set up the Frieza-Frost partnership a little better than it was showcased in the anime. After watching Frost take Krillin AND Tenshinhan out seeing him close in on Roshi would have had a far larger perilous feel to it than we ended up with.
But, Tienshinhan didn't even get a chance to eliminate anyone. That is my problem with the manga elimination.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:39 am

The issue with Tenshinhan (and Krillin) getting the jobbed out the way they did in the manga against Frost is that it makes their inclusion in the team pointless, and only further highlights that picking those two over Goten and Trunks was fucking stupid.

The anime avoids this by giving them something to do. Regardless of how minimal it may seem, it's a much better alternative then them doing absolutely nothing.