What's up with Tenshinhan this arc?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Re: What's up with Tenshinhan this arc?

Post by Jigurashi » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:30 am

namekiansaiyan wrote:
JulianStyles wrote:
precita wrote:Problem is Tien will likely get knocked out in his spotlight ep, similar to Krillin. Piccolo is bound to fight those other two Nameks eventually so he's going to be around for a lot longer.

There's also not that many throwaway designs in the tournament left for them to defeat, so if Tien doesn't beat someone soon the last remaining fighters will be too powerful.
What makes you think Piccolo wont have be eliminated in his spot light episode? Why would Piccolo be the one to knock out the Namekians and not the other way around? You also predicate your belief that Tien must be given throw away fighters. Your preconcieved want for him to fail is what holds you back from thinking bigger.

There are 34 fighters left that are not U7 members. Even if the number was 14 and he still was in it he can eliminate someone. Did you Think Yajorobi would be the one to deal a major blow to Vegeta? No.
Just beacuse someone is having a episode focused on them does not mean they are going out. There is no reason why Tien can't outlast Vegeta in the tournament. Gohan had an episode focused on him and he didn't go out so why should think that no one else will survive? Do not say because he is 'relevant', he is no more relevant than Tien.

The put down of Tien is just stupid and too many people just want him to fail so they can make a joke out of his character and it is just ridiculous.

The put down of Piccolo is even more ridiculous and I can not see any evidence why people think he won't be there during the later stages of the tournament.
Gohan isn't more relevant, he is however definitely more important this saga than Ten. As for the second bold, episodes 89 and 90 already did that. People don't want him to be a joke, people are only calling him one because his performance in the recruitment arc made him look garbage so people have little expectations for him. He might surprise us, and I certainly hope he does, but it's completely understandable why people think Ten isn't going to be all that significant in this tournament.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:52 am

The only reason someone today is a Tien fan was because of the 22nd Budokai saga. If you haven't watched that saga, there's literally little to no reason of being a Tien fan. And that's where the problem lies.

Some characters in fiction simply become irrelevant until a writer decides to make them badasses (or interesting) once more. Frieza gained more fans recently because they put him in the A-list once more and gave him badass screentime moments.

Unless the writers think of a reason to make the humans equal to the Saiyans (or give them moments to shine and be important in the series), the humans will always be the main target of butt jokes and memes in the community.

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:02 am

Nickolaidas wrote:The only reason someone today is a Tien fan was because of the 22nd Budokai saga. If you haven't watched that saga, there's literally little to no reason of being a Tien fan. And that's where the problem lies.

Some characters in fiction simply become irrelevant until a writer decides to make them badasses (or interesting) once more. Frieza gained more fans recently because they put him in the A-list once more and gave him badass screentime moments.

Unless the writers think of a reason to make the humans equal to the Saiyans (or give them moments to shine and be important in the series), the humans will always be the main target of butt jokes and memes in the community.
True if today you make piccolo a god or a power up his popularity will skyrocket.He will gain new fans especially if it is something creative and even if it isn't then he will still gain fans due to being powerful and regain some of his old fans that think he is a badass again.In this series,if you are not powerful then it means you are irrelevant scrub that doesn't belong Ina series about getting powerful.
The same would go for any other character suppose even if jiren doesn't get any personality he would still get a significant fanbase granted the fights are interesting.
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:07 am

Nickolaidas wrote:The only reason someone today is a Tien fan was because of the 22nd Budokai saga. If you haven't watched that saga, there's literally little to no reason of being a Tien fan.
To be fair, he did have that one awesome moment against Cell. I think he is pretty much the only character to momentarily overpower an opponent that much stronger than themselves in this franchise.

Honestly, if the 22nd is really the only reason he still has fans, then it speaks volumes of how much of an impression that arc has left them with. Personally I think he had some great moments in the anime after that as well, but yeah, that final match was really something.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:12 am

Tenshinhan may not be relevant in the grand scheme of things, but it's so ironic how key players of arcs before appropriated his technique for their own personal use. Goku uses Taiyoken to disorientate Vegeta long enough to form a Spirit Bomb, Krillin uses it to escape Dodoria and Freeza (which ended up having causational repercussions that influenced the main story), Cell relies on it to achieve his perfect form, and even as recently as the last arc characters like Future Trunks used it at some point or another. It's like, you can't revitalise his character into a strong reliable powerhouse again but you can still exploit a technique that originally belonged to him and the Crane School alone.

I wish he was given the same advantages that Goku and Vegeta had. Well not the Saiyan aspect, no. I mean being able to undergo new and efficient training programs, gaining God Ki, learning amplificative techniques to maintain his competitiveness.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:15 am

I can't wait until he fights so he can prove his haters completely wrong.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:32 am

Michsi wrote:
Nickolaidas wrote:The only reason someone today is a Tien fan was because of the 22nd Budokai saga. If you haven't watched that saga, there's literally little to no reason of being a Tien fan.
To be fair, he did have that one awesome moment against Cell. I think he is pretty much the only character to momentarily overpower an opponent that much stronger than themselves in this franchise.

Honestly, if the 22nd is really the only reason he still has fans, then it speaks volumes of how much of an impression that arc has left them with. Personally I think he had some great moments in the anime after that as well, but yeah, that final match was really something.
One character having an awesome moment (or two) cannot truly compare to another character regularly saving the day and stealing the spotlight. And that's the problem. Now, of course Dragon Ball's aim isn't to make fanboys out of every single character there is, and it's amazing how most of us seem to forget that the focus of the series was, is and always will be Goku, but a good diversified cast goes a long way.

To its credit, Super is trying to makes us remember why we liked most of those characters in the first place. Now some characters clearly don't get the same love as others (i.e. Piccolo and Tien) but this is the most we've seen of Krillin, Tien, Frieza, Roshi and Piccolo since ... well, the android arc.

What baffles me the most is actually Piccolo. For a character who is the creator's fave alongside Goku, Toriyama doesn't seem interested to put him on the map once more.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:08 am

Nickolaidas wrote: One character having an awesome moment (or two) cannot truly compare to another character regularly saving the day and stealing the spotlight. And that's the problem. Now, of course Dragon Ball's aim isn't to make fanboys out of every single character there is, and it's amazing how most of us seem to forget that the focus of the series was, is and always will be Goku, but a good diversified cast goes a long way.
Agreed!

To its credit, Super is trying to makes us remember why we liked most of those characters in the first place. Now some characters clearly don't get the same love as others (i.e. Piccolo and Tien) but this is the most we've seen of Krillin, Tien, Frieza, Roshi and Piccolo since ... well, the android arc.
It's definitely one step up from GT's treatment of these characters, so if there's one thing you can appreciate in Super it's the intention to at least use them more.
But I do have to disagree with you on one thing. Piccolo had a lot of screen time in the Buu arc. He may not have played the role people had wanted him too, but it was the most active non-fighting role a character could get. For what it's worth, Gotenks vs, Buu is one of Toriyama's favorite fights (or the actual favorite?) and he gave Piccolo a part in that too. It's what made the whole thing funnier imo. Sure, I cringed a little too, since it was a kinda jarring to see one of the most aloof, level-headed characters react so comically, but all in all, it was fun to see.
What baffles me the most is actually Piccolo. For a character who is the creator's fave alongside Goku, Toriyama doesn't seem interested to put him on the map once more.
There are possible explanations for this: it's usually the fans that equate power with prestige, but Toriyama never cared that much about that or the fighting aspect of Dragon Ball, so to him it might not have seemed like he was doing the character a disservice by taking away his role as a fighter.

Or

He was aware of having him as a favorite and deliberately minimized his importance. Didn't he say once that he didn't like Chichi so that's why he made her Goku's wife? To force himself to draw her more often. What if he did the opposite with Piccolo? :lol:

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:21 pm

Michsi wrote:He was aware of having him as a favorite and deliberately minimized his importance. Didn't he say once that he didn't like Chichi so that's why he made her Goku's wife? To force himself to draw her more often. What if he did the opposite with Piccolo? :lol:
:shock: Amazing.

To be fair, I've written some fanfiction where Dragon Ball is concerned, and no matter how many times I wrote about Broly, I couldn't bring myself to like him. He is everything I hate about Dragon Ball villains (lots of power but zero personality other than HULK SMASH!) and I will never care about him.

I'm derailing the thread though. I hope that good things will happen to Tien in this arc, although I doubt it.

JulianStyles
Banned

Post by JulianStyles » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:49 pm

Nickolaidas wrote:The only reason someone today is a Tien fan was because of the 22nd Budokai saga. If you haven't watched that saga, there's literally little to no reason of being a Tien fan. And that's where the problem lies.

Not true. Most fans were introduced to Z first. Such as me. And I liked him through that. Experiencing DB after was just extra sweet. He did great things in Z that people admired about him. 22nd tournament isnt his only shining moment. He was key in the Piccolo saga and did great in the 23rd tournament as well.
Jigurashi wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote:
JulianStyles wrote:
Gohan isn't more relevant, he is however definitely more important this saga than Ten. As for the second bold, episodes 89 and 90 already did that. People don't want him to be a joke, people are only calling him one because his performance in the recruitment arc made him look garbage so people have little expectations for him. He might surprise us, and I certainly hope he does, but it's completely understandable why people think Ten isn't going to be all that significant in this tournament.
To base assumptions on a padded arc that is full of bad writing and is against friends and has nothing to do with the actual arc and danger is very short sighted. Also begs the question how smart one is or are they really a fan? Its like predicting who will do well against the Sayains based on Kamis training. Against the past Sayains Krillin went down before Yamcha and Tien. Krillin lost a match with Yajorobi, it was undisputed fact Tien was the strongest of tbe group. Choutzu made a comment that Yamcha was equal to Tien. So if you were trying to predict thr Sayain arc Krillin would have the least expectations.

What you need to base things on is patterns of the story and the characters history. Krillin was first out. Ever occured to you he got some much pre hype because he would be first out? So they threw the character a bone. Imagine if they never gave us the 2 episode into the woods, then him out smarting Gohan on moves that Gohan just won a battle under the same conditions. Then that clash with Goku. ROF already established he was back to fighting. If they just made it a simplr recruitment. Being first eliminated wouldnt have been such a shock for those who placed everything of their reasoning in the recruitment arc.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:13 pm

I enjoy Tenshinhan's feats even when he loses. The way he tried to defeat Nappa after Chiaotzu's death was touching. His struggles against Cell, the Cell Jr's, and Buu was good too.

The problem is since Tenshinhan has no real connection to the main cast anymore, he feels like the odd one out. Even Yamcha has still remained good friends with Krillin, Bulma, etc. that when he sticks around he feels like part of the family. Tenshinhan isn't really friendly with the group anymore, he only has a few passing moments.

The_Destroyer
Regular

Post by The_Destroyer » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:14 pm

JulianStyles wrote:
The_Destroyer wrote:
JulianStyles wrote:
Encouraging a long since retired master whos holding his own is nothing to poked fun of. Its Pride in your past, pride in your universe and proud of being a pupil, friends and comrade of Roshi.
He should get time to shine on his own rather than always being with Roshi is what I was saying. His only elimination so far is due to Roshi's assist.
The only elimination Roshi has is due to Krillins assist. Whats your point? Lol You sound dunce and looking for a reason to hate. You talk as the tournament is over. The reason why Tien and Piccolo have not been show cased because their time has not come. Each episode is about 2 minutes in tournament time. Everyone was so polarized by the badly written recruitment arc. Saying Tien would be first eliminated. Hes not even second eliminated.

Hmm would I rather him be 1st eliminated with 2 assist and 1 elimination. Or would I rather have him contributing and surviving the meat and potatoes of the the tournament? You are setting yourself up for embarrassment. Its clear everyone will get their time. Even Toshio said Tien will do something cool wait for it.
Why are you so agressive? I wasn't even hating on Tien. All I said was I want to him to get time on his own so he can get a full fight or two, but right now they're using him as a sidekick to Roshi. So I want Roshi gone so Tien can get more time to shine.

There's no need to defend every single thing about Tien.

JulianStyles
Banned

Post by JulianStyles » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:12 pm

Episode 106 Tenshinhan comes to Piccolo and Gohans aide. And uses a technique to discover the hidden fighters. And since this isnt an episode to himself. Its just the beginning.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:25 pm

Tien needs to defeat at least two characters on his own. Hopefully the writers give him that at least.

JulianStyles
Banned

Post by JulianStyles » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:04 pm

precita wrote:Tien needs to defeat at least two characters on his own. Hopefully the writers give him that at least.
Heres what I think will happen. We see a glimpse of Tien in episode 105. Episode 106 he is seen getting an elimination before he notices Piccolo and Gohan needs help. Because he is out there solo. I'm sure someone got in his path. He finds the fighters. Eliminates on himself or a combined effort. Helps find the other and Vegeta takes care if it.

He last a couple more episodes get an episode centered around him and gets another elimination.

Sonofman
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Sonofman » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:19 pm

I honestly would like a Tenshinhan come back like how we saw it with Kuririn. In all honestly, Tenshinhan should be the most powerful human fighter on earth. He constantly trains. However, we see that Kuririn gets a HUGE buff after just a couple of episodes...? That, I don't get. I especially don't understand why he is able to fight on par with SSB Goku in one episode and be able to hold his own. Agh... If Kuririn can do that, why couldn't Tenshinhan do anything against Gohan and Piccolo fight? Makes no sense to me.
"We have this hope as an anchor for our soul" - Hebrews 6:19

Akyon
Regular

Post by Akyon » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:00 pm

Sonofman wrote:I honestly would like a Tenshinhan come back like how we saw it with Kuririn. In all honestly, Tenshinhan should be the most powerful human fighter on earth. He constantly trains. However, we see that Kuririn gets a HUGE buff after just a couple of episodes...? That, I don't get. I especially don't understand why he is able to fight on par with SSB Goku in one episode and be able to hold his own. Agh... If Kuririn can do that, why couldn't Tenshinhan do anything against Gohan and Piccolo fight? Makes no sense to me.
Krillin wasn't really fighting on par with SSB. At best you could argue he managed to surprise Goku into going SSJ(1), but Goku has complete ki control in Blue and is testing his friend's resolve in that episode. His hands were shaking after the beam struggle and it's clear Goku was holding back a lot. Krillin probably still surprised Goku with how strong he actually was and exceeded his expectations, but it's still nothing compared to any of his transformed forms.

Meanwhile Gohan was trying to defeat Tien in a semi serious spar with an emphasis on team work. Tien's partner was Goku who isn't supposed to be very co-operative(because he wants to fight ALL the opponents himself) and Tien's against Gohan and Piccolo who naturally have trained together multiple times and know each others limits like the back of their hands.

Krillin did do better in those fights, but that was mostly due to his creativity and pragmatic fighting style. He also used trickery and hit and run tactics. Tien meanwhile tried rushing Piccolo and to fire off a Kikoho or two only to get stomped by Gohan at every turn. Brute force and direct assaults aren't the best plan against opponents dozens of times stronger than you as it turns out.

If Krillin had tried rushing at Goku and firing off a static Kienzan or two then I have no doubt he'd of probably got stomped as quickly as Tien did against Gohan.

Interestingly though that is the difference in the Earthlings styles and can be seen during their individual battles with Nappa too. Tien doesn't really seem to employ any pragmatism in battle, which makes sense given his 'honourable kung fu guy' personality, whilst Krillin is in it to survive and has far less moral scruples about pulling the rug from underneath opponents that are monsters compared to him.
This may be why Krillin is more prone to using the Solar Flare than Tien, despite it being the triclops' own creation.
Favourite User quote:
Vice wrote:"Look at all these characters getting some shine in the buildup for the tournament of power, maybe we'll get to see some other characters do some stuff instead of the same old shit."
1. Goku (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitor & Vegeta (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitors

"Fuck."

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:05 pm

The difference is the human fighters like Krillin, Tenshinhan, Roshi and Yamcha (if he ever fights again) will always remain low priority for the writers after the Saiyans, Piccolo or the new characters Super has introduced. The humans are there to round out the main cast, but their time of being major characters is long over.

It mostly seems like they're kept around for nostalgia now to be honest.

JulianStyles
Banned

Post by JulianStyles » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:05 pm

Sonofman wrote:I honestly would like a Tenshinhan come back like how we saw it with Kuririn. In all honestly, Tenshinhan should be the most powerful human fighter on earth. He constantly trains. However, we see that Kuririn gets a HUGE buff after just a couple of episodes...? That, I don't get. I especially don't understand why he is able to fight on par with SSB Goku in one episode and be able to hold his own. Agh... If Kuririn can do that, why couldn't Tenshinhan do anything against Gohan and Piccolo fight? Makes no sense to me.
Seems like akyon covered most of everything. The Gohan Krillin faced was not expecting much from Krillin, Gohan wasnt taking it seriously until it was too late. It was dumb because Gohan just won a fight a fight where he couldnt see or sense ki. Just to get ringed out by Krillin because he couldnt see or sense ki. Gohan against Tien. He was much stronger, powered up twice while Tien was still in it. He was focused and out to prove a point. I believe we could have gotten a good fight between Tien and Piccolo. But Gohan would not allow it.

You also have to stop trying to make sense of the recruitment arc. Not made by Akira, different writers and directors just to fill in space.

Whatever
Regular

Post by Whatever » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:44 am

JulianStyles wrote:
Seems like akyon covered most of everything. The Gohan Krillin faced was not expecting much from Krillin, Gohan wasnt taking it seriously until it was too late. It was dumb because Gohan just won a fight a fight where he couldnt see or sense ki. Just to get ringed out by Krillin because he couldnt see or sense ki. Gohan against Tien. He was much stronger, powered up twice while Tien was still in it. He was focused and out to prove a point. I believe we could have gotten a good fight between Tien and Piccolo. But Gohan would not allow it.

You also have to stop trying to make sense of the recruitment arc. Not made by Akira, different writers and directors just to fill in space.
I know you have an unhealthy obsession with Tien but if you seriously believe that then you are at the point of delusion.