What's up with Tenshinhan this arc?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

precita
Banned

Re: What's up with Tenshinhan this arc?

Post by precita » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:48 pm

I don't get it, did all of you miss the fact that Tenshinhan already blew one character out of the ring? He hasn't just been standing around, that's Piccolo.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:23 pm

precita wrote:I don't get it, did all of you miss the fact that Tenshinhan already blew one character out of the ring? He hasn't just been standing around, that's Piccolo.
It was a pretty weak elimination though. I mean if youre a Tenshinhan fan you have to be hoping for more than that.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:30 pm

I'm sure he'll get some proper fight like Krillin and take down at least 1-2 characters before going down himself.

Akyon
Regular

Post by Akyon » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:52 pm

You know...with Tien's lines consisting mostly of commenting of Master Roshi, it really has highlighted to me just how much of a loner Tien actually is and how this severely limits him for character interaction.
I was expecting him and Piccolo to have an exchange since they've fought together before, or for some bizarre reason him and Krillin to engage in some chitchat, but that never happened. Maybe he'll interact with Hit if we're extremely lucky. Fellow assassins and all that. Doubt it though.

Tien in the tournament...well he did get a joint KO with Roshi on The Preecho, but it feels like they're not exactly using Tien to his maximum capabilities as of current. He should have racked up a few KOs already with his Kikoho against distracted opponents. Tien's trademark attack is a great asset in this tournament and really the one thing he has over his fellow U7 competitors to warrant a space on that team. If he doesn't use it to wipe a bunch out...we may as well have brought Yamcha who'd at least have provided some better conversational pieces, comedy and interactions.
Favourite User quote:
Vice wrote:"Look at all these characters getting some shine in the buildup for the tournament of power, maybe we'll get to see some other characters do some stuff instead of the same old shit."
1. Goku (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitor & Vegeta (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitors

"Fuck."

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:53 pm

Tenshinhan isn't really friends with anyone, although he and Yamcha have some moments. Goku stopped caring about Tenshinhan altogether the moment Piccolo and then Vegeta showed up. Krillin doesn't speak with him much, and Gohan barely knows him. Of course 17 and 18 don't care about him either.

I mean other than Chaoitzu, the only other time I remember Tenshinhan talking to people is to Yamcha.

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:08 pm

Akyon wrote:You know...with Tien's lines consisting mostly of commenting of Master Roshi, it really has highlighted to me just how much of a loner Tien actually is and how this severely limits him for character interaction.
I was expecting him and Piccolo to have an exchange since they've fought together before, or for some bizarre reason him and Krillin to engage in some chitchat, but that never happened. Maybe he'll interact with Hit if we're extremely lucky. Fellow assassins and all that. Doubt it though.

Tien in the tournament...well he did get a joint KO with Roshi on The Preecho, but it feels like they're not exactly using Tien to his maximum capabilities as of current. He should have racked up a few KOs already with his Kikoho against distracted opponents. Tien's trademark attack is a great asset in this tournament and really the one thing he has over his fellow U7 competitors to warrant a space on that team. If he doesn't use it to wipe a bunch out...we may as well have brought Yamcha who'd at least have provided some better conversational pieces, comedy and interactions.
It's partly why I don't really care about him. He's so limited compared to other characters in their interactions with each other. Every single member of the team has some personal relationship with another character except Ten, who's only close to Chaouzu, who is utterly irrelevant anyway (Goku's got Roshi, Kuririn, Vegeta, Piccolo, Gohan, and Freeza, and he's even been getting along with 17 quite well himself - Vegeta's got Goku and Freeza - Gohan has Goku, Piccolo, and Kuririn - The Cyborgs have each other and 18 has Kuririn - Freeza has Goku and Vegeta - Roshi has his students - and Piccolo has Gohan and Goku).

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:51 pm

Jigurashi wrote:
Akyon wrote:You know...with Tien's lines consisting mostly of commenting of Master Roshi, it really has highlighted to me just how much of a loner Tien actually is and how this severely limits him for character interaction.

It's partly why I don't really care about him. He's so limited compared to other characters in their interactions with each other. Every single member of the team has some personal relationship with another character except Ten, who's only close to Chaouzu, who is utterly irrelevant anyway (Goku's got Roshi, Kuririn, Vegeta, Piccolo, Gohan, and Freeza, and he's even been getting along with 17 quite well himself - Vegeta's got Goku and Freeza - Gohan has Goku, Piccolo, and Kuririn - The Cyborgs have each other and 18 has Kuririn - Freeza has Goku and Vegeta - Roshi has his students - and Piccolo has Gohan and Goku).
Freeza has everyone, pretty much. Besides Tenshinhan and Roshi, I guess. Everyone fought him either on Namek or when he came back in F, and they could use the androids to poke fun at the fact that they were a bigger, more powerful threat than he was (though I guess that sort of interaction would work better if Boo or Cell were in the team).

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:56 pm

Doctor. wrote:
Jigurashi wrote:

Freeza has everyone, pretty much. Besides Tenshinhan and Roshi, I guess. Everyone fought him either on Namek or when he came back in F, and they could use the androids to poke fun at the fact that they were a bigger, more powerful threat than he was (though I guess that sort of interaction would work better if Boo or Cell were in the team).
You're right. Kuririn and Piccolo would count as they have some personal ties to Freeza as well. Then there's also how Freeza is connected to Beerus himself as well. But it's just as I'm saying, this is something, Tenshinhan lacks that every other member of the team has. The closest person to Ten of the team is Roshi, and they aren't all that close.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:02 pm

emperior wrote:
Zephyr wrote:
emperior wrote:Why should Super even develop characters who were already developed in the manga?
In other words, why should Super even have character development?
I didn't word it right. What I mean is that secondary characters such as Tenshinan should stay the same in my opinion, unless they become main characters.
No problem. I think that it's fine, if not flat-out preferable, to develop characters, even if they're not 'main' characters. Background characters receiving development makes the cast feel like its populated by actual people, not a small handful of people and some robot groupies.

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:15 pm

Vegeta123 wrote:
Doctor. wrote: Because, contrary to popular belief, you can discuss aspects of the series that include characters you don't like.
Sure, if you have nothing better to do.
Might as well pull our dicks out and start jerking each other off in a circle if we're only allowed to discuss things we like here. :yawn:

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:19 pm

I guess this is why Toriyama wrote Tenshinhan out for the majority of the Buu saga, he felt he had no place in the series anymore.

Which is weird because you can tell the only reason he and Roshi are major fighters in both the Freeza movie and now is because of Toriyama. Why did Toriyama suddenly get nostalgic for these two and start shafting the later characters like Buu and Trunks/Goten? It's literally the complete opposite of the direction he was going in the Buu arc of DBZ.

Vegeta123
Banned

Post by Vegeta123 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:30 pm

Asura wrote:
Vegeta123 wrote:
Doctor. wrote: Because, contrary to popular belief, you can discuss aspects of the series that include characters you don't like.
Sure, if you have nothing better to do.
Might as well pull our dicks out and start jerking each other off in a circle if we're only allowed to discuss things we like here. :yawn:
Pathetic attempt at sarcasm. Could have thought of a million other things but apparently cocks are on your mind first and foremost...... Lol weak.

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:05 am

Vegeta123 wrote:
Asura wrote:
Vegeta123 wrote: Sure, if you have nothing better to do.
Pathetic attempt at sarcasm. Could have thought of a million other things but apparently cocks are on your mind first and foremost...... Lol weak.
Calm down there bud, I was only saying that Doctor deserves the right to criticize whatever he wishes, even if you or I don't agree with it. :D

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:53 am

precita wrote:I guess this is why Toriyama wrote Tenshinhan out for the majority of the Buu saga, he felt he had no place in the series anymore.

Which is weird because you can tell the only reason he and Roshi are major fighters in both the Freeza movie and now is because of Toriyama. Why did Toriyama suddenly get nostalgic for these two and start shafting the later characters like Buu and Trunks/Goten? It's literally the complete opposite of the direction he was going in the Buu arc of DBZ.
That's very strange indeed. I'm quite sure that if Toriyama continued his manga in the 90s after Buu, Roshi and Tenshinan wouldn't have fought at all.
I think that when Toriyama read his manga again he liked Roshi and Tenshinan a lot, so he decided to give them a more active role again. The RoF cast seems to be made up of Toriyama's favorites, as it's quite strange 18, the kids, Buu, Yamcha and Chaotzu were missing.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

emi_b7
Beyond Newbie

Post by emi_b7 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:59 am

I love Tenshinhan, top 3-5 DB character for me. That's my dude. That said, if there's one guy to write out of the series it's him. Toriyama almost did it after the Cell games, only for him to show up in Buu's arc (even then, it was more of a cameo), It feels weird as hell when he shows up in Bulma's birthday party or stuff like that, he never really seemed like a guy who cared about the other characters all that much (other than Chiaotzu, of course).
Tenshinhan is in a pretty bad spot as a character:
-He isn't really a friend of most of the cast and doesn't have strong connections with them. I guess he is Krillin an Yamcha's friend? he trained with them a couple of times. He clearly has a lot of respect for Muten Roshi but he isn't as close to him as the turtle school students are. Goku is another guy he probably respects a lot, and he was a measuring stick for him at some point as far as strenght goes, but I don't think they are friends or anything. He barely interacted with anybody else.
-His motivation (being as strong as he can be) is similar to Vegeta's but, unlike the good old prince, his ceiling isn't that high strenght wise and, again, he doesn't have as many connections to the cast as Vegeta does.
-His personality is somewhat similar to Piccolo's (after Piccolo trained Gohan anyway).This calmer Vegeta also fills the stoic fighter Tenshinhan used to fill too.

So, we have a guy who has similar motivations and personality as other more relevant characters, a guy who always feels a bit like an outsider when he is with the rest of the cast and a guy who doesn't seem able to fullfill his dream of becoming stronger. He just appears every arc to do a cool (often Kikoho related) thing and then doesn't do a lot else.
In my opinion, what they should have done with him was this:
-have some 3 eyed dude from some other universe, let's say U4
-make that guy somewhat strong (not top tier or anything, just strong)
-have that guy recognize Tenshinhan as someone from his race (mixed with earthlings) and tell him that some 3 eyed people from U4 migrated to other universes at some point and that Tenshinhan is probably a descendant of those people. Dude also tells Tenshinhan that he could become much stronger by training in their home planet.
-after the tournament, Tenshinhan goes with that dude to U4 to train.I guess Chiaotzu would go with him because they are BFF or whatever
This would a)take Tenshinhan out of the story so he isn't just there, b)elaborate on that "Tenshinhan is an alien" thing and c) put him in a position where he can continue to get stronger, which is his sole motivation as a character. If we have another arc in the future where characters from other Universes appear maybe he could show up being stronger. If we don't, who cares, he isn't doing much now anyway.

What do I actually think will happen in the tournament? I think he is just going to beat 1 or 2 more guys and get eliminated. At most, he will get an episode (probably that episode's B plot) where he gets a legit fight before going down. He is the one character who feells like filler on the team: he isn't one of the powerhouses, he isn't comic relief, he isn't a character they are reintroducing after a long time. He is just there. I would be surprised if they made a lot with him.

Basako
Advanced Regular

Post by Basako » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:58 am

Jigurashi wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
Jigurashi wrote: It's partly why I don't really care about him. He's so limited compared to other characters in their interactions with each other. Every single member of the team has some personal relationship with another character except Ten, who's only close to Chaouzu, who is utterly irrelevant anyway (Goku's got Roshi, Kuririn, Vegeta, Piccolo, Gohan, and Freeza, and he's even been getting along with 17 quite well himself - Vegeta's got Goku and Freeza - Gohan has Goku, Piccolo, and Kuririn - The Cyborgs have each other and 18 has Kuririn - Freeza has Goku and Vegeta - Roshi has his students - and Piccolo has Gohan and Goku).
You're right. Kuririn and Piccolo would count as they have some personal ties to Freeza as well. Then there's also how Freeza is connected to Beerus himself as well. But it's just as I'm saying, this is something, Tenshinhan lacks that every other member of the team has. The closest person to Ten of the team is Roshi, and they aren't all that close.
Ok, so Freeza has everyone except Ten and Roshi... And you say Ten has only Roshi in the team...

That's just not true. Ten has a history with Goku, fought twice against him, once against Roshi. Fought against Piccolo Daimao somehow with Roshi and Goku, trained with Krilin, fought the saiyans with Krilin, Piccolo and Gohan, killed by Vegeta's partner, trained with Piccolo, Krilin, Gohan and Goku actively fought for his resurrection, fought 17, saved 18, fought Cell with Goku, Gohan, Vegeta, Piccolo and Krilin, fought Boo with Gohan. He was in the party where Beerus appeared, fought against Freeza's soldiers with the rest, watched the tournament against Champa. Man, there is so much that your claim is ridiculous. They are not backshadowing all this history now, but it happened. Tenshinhan has a place there.
Heno heno kappa!

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:11 am

Does Vegeta have any notable relations with other Z-fighters apart from Goku, Gohan and maybe Piccolo? He doesn't think too highly of the humans and the cyborgs haven't so much as registered on his radar since the Cell arc. Tenshinhan's lack of consistent socialising is an affliction that ails Vegeta as well. Next to his lack of involvement with them, Vegeta has a pretty unimaginative combat style. At least Tenshinhan could theoretically offer some dynamic fighting choreography with his Shiyoken, third eye perception, Dodonpa and other such abilities. A large part of Vegeta's attraction appears to stem from his Saiyan genealogy and the marketability of transformations. Take those away and what are you left with? A smaller sized replica of Tenshinhan and Piccolo except with hair on his head and less interesting abilities.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:27 am

Lionel wrote:Does Vegeta have any notable relations with other Z-fighters apart from Goku, Gohan and maybe Piccolo? He doesn't think too highly of the humans and the cyborgs haven't so much as registered on his radar since the Cell arc. Tenshinhan's lack of consistent socialising is an affliction that ails Vegeta as well. Next to his lack of involvement with them, Vegeta has a pretty unimaginative combat style. At least Tenshinhan could theoretically offer some dynamic fighting choreography with his Shiyoken, third eye perception, Dodonpa and other such abilities. A large part of Vegeta's attraction appears to stem from his Saiyan genealogy and the marketability of transformations. Take those away and what are you left with? A smaller sized replica of Tenshinhan and Piccolo except with hair on his head and less interesting abilities.
Vegeta isnt anti-social so much as hes one track minded and if you dont show youre worth his time he isnt going to care about you.

Even when he landed on Earth he had Nappa who, at the time, he respected even if he lost that respect when he lost.

I mean he I guess he IS anti-social but not in the same way as Tenshinhan I guess.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:14 am

Lionel wrote:Does Vegeta have any notable relations with other Z-fighters apart from Goku, Gohan and maybe Piccolo? He doesn't think too highly of the humans and the cyborgs haven't so much as registered on his radar since the Cell arc. Tenshinhan's lack of consistent socialising is an affliction that ails Vegeta as well. Next to his lack of involvement with them, Vegeta has a pretty unimaginative combat style. At least Tenshinhan could theoretically offer some dynamic fighting choreography with his Shiyoken, third eye perception, Dodonpa and other such abilities. A large part of Vegeta's attraction appears to stem from his Saiyan genealogy and the marketability of transformations. Take those away and what are you left with? A smaller sized replica of Tenshinhan and Piccolo except with hair on his head and less interesting abilities.
Vegeta has a history with Kuririn, I suppose. They spent time on Namek and he showcased some degree of respect for him back when they first met.

Also Freeza, obviously.

Shinda Forever
Temporarily Banned

Post by Shinda Forever » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:48 am

That's what i think as well.