Do you think Gohan will be important/relevant after this arc?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Mercenary
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Do you think Gohan will be important/relevant after this arc?

Post by Mercenary » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:22 am

It would be great but I am wondering if it's not just a bone thrown to Gohan's fanbase. Like, you know - let's give him some spotlight in this arc and then we will sideline him again (Gohan will come back to study and so one). What do you think about this?

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Re: Do you think Gohan will be important/relevant after this arc?

Post by Jigurashi » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:41 am

Depends. It wasn't until this saga where AT seemed somewhat interested in using Gohan. Personally, I'd love to see him be fairly relevant next saga. He doesn't even really have to get massively stronger, but it'd be nice if he just uses his spare time to stay in shape so that he doesn't lose his power again.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:13 am

The in-universe reason would hinge on Gohan believing his continued servitude to battling dangerous threats to his family is necessary. If this revitalised strength of his is only for the Tournament of Power then Gohan will likely fade back into civilian obscurity after this arc. I would be very happy to see him persist in his training in order to better protect his family and make himself a strong competitor against his father and Vegeta. However, I'm going to keep low expectations for his character as this arc might very well just be like RoF where the other Z-fighters were tossed some minor participatory bones with no long term significance to their actions.

Mercenary
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mercenary » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:57 am

In the EoZ Gohan came back to study again, right? So that makes me think after this tournament he's gonna probably come to study once again and once and for all. Maybe he won't be such a fodder like he used to be before this tournament in whole DBS, but anyway - probably not gonna play the main role with Goku and Vegeta.

ssjprodigy
Beyond Newbie

Post by ssjprodigy » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:25 am

Mercenary wrote:In the EoZ Gohan came back to study again, right? So that makes me think after this tournament he's gonna probably come to study once again and once and for all. Maybe he won't be such a fodder like he used to be before this tournament in whole DBS, but anyway - probably not gonna play the main role with Goku and Vegeta.
thats is if we assume after this arc is the end of z which is highly unlikely so I'm sure he gonna shine in future arcs

Basako
Advanced Regular

Post by Basako » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:29 am

I don't think so, enjoy him while you can.
Heno heno kappa!

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:36 am

Toyotaro had Gohan training by himself because he isn't called when there is a problem, Toyo has a way of building things up so yeah, Gohan's gonna be relevant from this arc onwards
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Lapislettuce
Banned

Post by Lapislettuce » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:02 pm

Probably not, Toriyama doesn't see Gohan as a fighter and he said it many times, he's giving him some moments in this arc to satisfy people who only like Gohan the fighter but that's it, especially if we go by the end of Z the ending might be retconned but personalities won't change and Gohan likes being a family man 100% of the time.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:13 pm

ssjprodigy wrote:
Mercenary wrote:In the EoZ Gohan came back to study again, right? So that makes me think after this tournament he's gonna probably come to study once again and once and for all. Maybe he won't be such a fodder like he used to be before this tournament in whole DBS, but anyway - probably not gonna play the main role with Goku and Vegeta.
thats is if we assume after this arc is the end of z which is highly unlikely so I'm sure he gonna shine in future arcs
Bra literally was just born so we could get like another 2 years of Super 3 or so arcs before we hit close to EoZ.

ssjprodigy
Beyond Newbie

Post by ssjprodigy » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:35 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
ssjprodigy wrote:
Bra literally was just born so we could get like another 2 years of Super 3 or so arcs before we hit close to EoZ.
yeah were far away from the ending

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:39 pm

If Toriyama want him to be. I think where the story goes after this arc will be important as if it goes beyond EOZ, I don't think Gohan will be utilized that much because by that point in the story Gohan will have settled down.

ssjprodigy
Beyond Newbie

Post by ssjprodigy » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:46 pm

Lapislettuce wrote:Probably not, Toriyama doesn't see Gohan as a fighter and he said it many times, he's giving him some moments in this arc to satisfy people who only like Gohan the fighter but that's it, especially if we go by the end of Z the ending might be retconned but personalities won't change and Gohan likes being a family man 100% of the time.
yeah I agree but I do see him fighting in moments of grave danger for his family or as the great saiyaman just like how 17 just protects his island and doesn't actively look for fights unlike Goku and Vegeta

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:00 pm

Gohan's return is something that was too popular to let go. I don't see him not being involved again.

I think what people should expect is Krillin and the Androids fading into obscurity again. I fully expect 17 to just go back to his island and never be heard from again after this arc.

Lapislettuce
Banned

Post by Lapislettuce » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:09 pm

precita wrote:Gohan's return is something that was too popular to let go. I don't see him not being involved again.

I think what people should expect is Krillin and the Androids fading into obscurity again. I fully expect 17 to just go back to his island and never be heard from again after this arc.
Lol don't be salty ! currently 17 gained so much popularity people are LOVING HIM, if anything 17 will comeback from time to time being badass as usual, Gohan is NOT A FIGHTER, he will become his old self again after the arc and go back to having as much screen time as Videl.
Also 17 is one of the most relevant characters power wise, strongest non saiyan if we count Frieza out, he's obviously a character who is interested in fighting and gaining strength to protect his island and family, they will be needing him a lot lately, people are all over him and it's just the beginning, they won't drop a character as cool as him after they put up so much efforts into his comeback. you'll see for yourself.
Last edited by Lapislettuce on Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Slaythe
Beyond Newbie

Post by Slaythe » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:20 pm

precita wrote:Gohan's return is something that was too popular to let go. I don't see him not being involved again.

Yeah not happening.

1) Pan is there, so she'll take Gohan's spot as main character. That doesn't mean Gohan won't do stuff from time to time.

2) 17 is a loner, that doesn't mean he's never gonna come back or ever participate. He ages very slowly, has a new found popularity and is one of the strongest characters. It's dumb to expect him to disappear forever. Why do you think they brought him back at all ? They're course correcting, just let they did with Gohan.

Shinda Forever
Temporarily Banned

Post by Shinda Forever » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:34 pm

I think that he won't be important in this arc or in the next. Gohan is basically a garbage character and in the latest poll, he was placed in 9 behind Tenshinhan. Very few people care about him.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:43 pm

Slaythe wrote:

Yeah not happening.

1) Pan is there, so she'll take Gohan's spot as main character. That doesn't mean Gohan won't do stuff from time to time.

2) 17 is a loner, that doesn't mean he's never gonna come back or ever participate. He ages very slowly, has a new found popularity and is one of the strongest characters. It's dumb to expect him to disappear forever. Why do you think they brought him back at all ? They're course correcting, just let they did with Gohan.
The next arc, whatever it is, is likely not going to have a huge cast again. It'll probably be more like the Zamasu arc and only focus on a small handful of characters. I really don't see 17 being involved much, at all, again, but I think the same for Krillin and 18 too if I'm being fair.

This universe survival arc seems like it's a "last hurrah" for the older DBZ cast. I think after this they'll jump ahead to EOZ and focus on Trunks, Goten, Pan and Uub as the new main heroes.

Shinda Forever
Temporarily Banned

Post by Shinda Forever » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:47 pm

precita wrote:
Slaythe wrote:

Yeah not happening.

The next arc, whatever it is, is likely not going to have a huge cast again. It'll probably be more like the Zamasu arc and only focus on a small handful of characters. I really don't see 17 being involved much, at all, again, but I think the same for Krillin and 18 too if I'm being fair.

This universe survival arc seems like it's a "last hurrah" for the older DBZ cast. I think after this they'll jump ahead to EOZ and focus on Trunks, Goten, Pan and Uub as the new main heroes.
There is no way in hell they will focus on Trunks, Goten or Pan. However, they can bring Uub to the cast for awhile, but sooner or later he will be kicked out as useless, because, he doesn't have transformations and he isn't a saiyajin as well.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:49 pm

I liked having a smaller cast like in the Zamasu arc. I'd be fine with having more Gohan if it means I don't have to keep track of close to 100 characters in the same story.

The only EoZ character I wanted to see more of is EoZ Pan, but if they're stuck having to adhere to how the manga ended then I won't see much of her either.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:59 pm

I would be questioning the marketability of Dragon Ball if they began to pedestal characters whom the fans don't have much consideration for. Dragon Ball is a profit driven franchise that seeks to maximise its sales with new Saiyans transformations and grandstanding from everyone's beloved characters, for better or worse. Names like Pan, Goten, Trunks, or Uub are hardly notable to the fans and I would expect a drop in revenue and viewership if began to veer towards a series revolving around them. It's more likely that Gohan, Piccolo and the humans would make a permanent resurgence than have some hypothetical "next generation" roster of Z-Warriors be constructed.