Do you think Gohan will be important/relevant after this arc?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SsjCookie
Beyond Newbie

Re: Do you think Gohan will be important/relevant after this arc?

Post by SsjCookie » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:48 am

Mh...Difficult to say.
Don't forget that Gohan has a Job and a family to care of and that his character and temperament really is more Earthling than Saiyan.
Unlike Goku, Gohan is not looking for a fight to constantly better himself, you can blame his mothers upbringing on that.
Even so, Gohan is not a fighting junkie like his father, so he'll probably take a back seat again after this arc.
However I do think he''ll keep training from now on, but his family always comes first.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:42 am

I wouldn't say Gohan abhors fighting in its entirety. He seems to appreciate the benefits that come from helping others as a masked crime fighter. During the training period before the 25th tournament, he seemed fairly eager to get himself back into shape and work out with Goten. I think so long as the fighting in question isn't direly vicious or requires him to kill someone, Gohan can tolerate it, maybe even find some personal satisfaction in it.

By the way, if Tenshinhan and Chaozu can still find time to train themselves after working on their agricultural business then I don't see why Gohan can't be the same.

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:31 am

Shinda Forever wrote:I think that he won't be important in this arc or in the next. Gohan is basically a garbage character and in the latest poll, he was placed in 9 behind Tenshinhan. Very few people care about him.
And what poll is this?

Boo Machine

Post by Boo Machine » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:46 am

Asura wrote:
Shinda Forever wrote:I think that he won't be important in this arc or in the next. Gohan is basically a garbage character and in the latest poll, he was placed in 9 behind Tenshinhan. Very few people care about him.
And what poll is this?
I believe he is referring to That poll from the latest WSJ magazine. Where 133 people were asked who out of the ten fighters they would cheer for and tell them to do their best, Gohan was 9th place and Freeza was 1st.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

Asura

Post by Asura » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:52 am

Boo Machine wrote:
Asura wrote:
And what poll is this?
I believe he is referring to That poll from the latest WSJ magazine. Where 133 people were asked who out of the ten fighters they would cheer for and tell them to do their best, Gohan was 9th place and Freeza was 1st.
The Wall Street Journal? I can't find any kind of Dragon Ball related stuff there.

Also that sounds like complete bullshit lol Gohan is one of the most popular characters both in Japan and the west, there's no way in hell Roshi and Krillin are more popular than him.

Boo Machine

Post by Boo Machine » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:55 am

Asura wrote:
Boo Machine wrote:
Asura wrote:
And what poll is this?
The Wall Street Journal? I can't find any kind of Dragon Ball related stuff there.

Also that sounds like complete bullshit lol Gohan is one of the most popular characters both in Japan and the west, there's no way in hell Roshi and Krillin are more popular than him.
Weekly Shonen Jump. Assuming you're not being sarcastic.

Agreed. It's not really a good indicator of the most popular characters. They were just asked who they would cheer for not who their favorite character is. Especially since the number of people asked was very very small.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

Asura

Post by Asura » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:07 am

Boo Machine wrote:
Asura wrote:
Boo Machine wrote:

Agreed. It's not really a good indicator of the most popular characters. They were just asked who they would cheer for not who their favorite character is. Especially since the number of people asked was very very small.
Nope, wasn't being sarcastic. I searched WSJ magazine and Wall Street Journal was the only thing that came up.

But then I searched Weekly Shonen Jump Super poll and got no results either. Where are people getting this information from? :?

Boo Machine

Post by Boo Machine » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:10 am

Asura wrote:
Boo Machine wrote:
Asura wrote:

Nope, wasn't being sarcastic. I searched WSJ magazine and Wall Street Journal was the only thing that came up.

But then I searched Weekly Shonen Jump Super poll and got no results either. Where are people getting this information from? :?
It was on the Official Announcments thread and Herms and YonkuProductions Twitter.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

Asura

Post by Asura » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:18 am

Boo Machine wrote:
Asura wrote:
Boo Machine wrote:

It was on the Official Announcments thread and Herms and YonkuProductions Twitter.
Okay thanks, I see it now. Yeah this poll has to be bullshit lol. They must have went around Tokyo asking a decent chunk of random people who don't know much about Dragon Ball who they want to cheer on in the tournament. I mean, Kid Gohan got votes. Multiple votes. Kid Gohan.

I feel like Gohan will stay relevant after this arc. Well, perhaps not entirely relevant but he'll at least be someone who isn't weak anymore and someone they can count on when needed which is a hell of a lot more than they could have said about him before.

Whatever
Regular

Post by Whatever » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:26 am

Asura wrote:
Boo Machine wrote:
Asura wrote:

Okay thanks, I see it now. Yeah this poll has to be bullshit lol. They must have went around Tokyo asking a decent chunk of random people who don't know much about Dragon Ball who they want to cheer on in the tournament. I mean, Kid Gohan got votes. Multiple votes. Kid Gohan.

I feel like Gohan will stay relevant after this arc. Well, perhaps not entirely relevant but he'll at least be someone who isn't weak anymore and someone they can count on when needed which is a hell of a lot more than they could have said about him before.
No surprise there,even in the dragonball forever polls gohan fall way down on the popularity poll once he became a teenager.
He was 3rd in the saiyan saga of the poll,1st in the cell caga and 6th in the buu saga.Kid gohan is obviously more popular than his adult self.

Also depens on what you mean relevant,because Vegeta is gonna still be jobbing after this arc and its not like Gohan is gonna beat the character that beat Vegeta.
And anyone that is lower than Vegeta won't be a problem for Goku or Vegeta anyways.

Asura

Post by Asura » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:54 am

Whatever wrote:
Asura wrote:
Boo Machine wrote:

No surprise there,even in the dragonball forever polls gohan fall way down on the popularity poll once he became a teenager.
He was 3rd in the saiyan saga of the poll,1st in the cell caga and 6th in the buu saga.Kid gohan is obviously more popular than his adult self.

Also depens on what you mean relevant,because Vegeta is gonna still be jobbing after this arc and its not like Gohan is gonna beat the character that beat Vegeta.
And anyone that is lower than Vegeta won't be a problem for Goku or Vegeta anyways.
It doesn't matter how popular Kid Gohan is the poll question was who would you add to the team and multiple people picked Kid Gohan. That's just proof that many of the people they polled have no idea what the hell they're talking about. Yamcha won over Future Trunks by a landslide. We both know Yamcha is not more popular than Future Trunks, arguably the second most popular character in the entire franchise.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:56 am

I don't see why you people put stock into polls. For one thing its a small sample size of whoever is around at the time voting in that particular time period. People who either don't know the poll exists, doesn't come online or read the magazines Dragonball is featured in, etc...wouldn't know or care about it.

And as said, Dragonball has such a varied fanbase especially when you realize it dates back over 30 years in Japan. Literally millions of people watch Dragonball in Japan alone, and you don't have millions of people voting in those polls.

KingKaash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KingKaash » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:58 am

I think it depends on how Gohan finishes in the ToP. If he ends on a good note, even if he gets eliminated, I think that bodes well for him being a prominent character moving forward. If they discard Gohan after this Obuni fight and and maybe even job him against some other character in the ToP by getting eliminated, then I think I could safely say that Gohan was thrown a bone in this tournament arc and he'll go back to be irrevelant
"Gohan, let it go. It is not a sin to fight for the right cause. There are those who words alone will not reach. Cell is such a being. I know how you feel Gohan, you are gentle, you do not like to hurt. I know because I too have learned these feelings. But it is because you cherish life that you must protect it. Please drop your restraints. Protect the life I once loved. You have the strength, my scanners sensed it..." -Android 16

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:36 am

Dunno but I hope so, despite me thinking the show is about Goku and some Vegeta I still want other characters joining in, like Gohan, Freeza, the androids, Piccolo and the kids if by a miracle Roshi as well. Bigger cast is more fun than just full of Goku and Vegeta most of the time.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:48 am

After the latest episode, I'd say that, at the very least, Gohan is looking to not be completely sidelined anymore.

He might have some actual roles in future arcs and in-between episodes (not filler, IN-BETWEEN EPISODES), even if not major, but his current rising prominence has me convinced he won't be completely irrelevant anymore.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:16 am

Whatever wrote: No surprise there,even in the dragonball forever polls gohan fall way down on the popularity poll once he became a teenager.

No he didn't. He was third on the Dragon Ball Forever Poll:

Best Characters
1.Son Goku: 6,235 points
2.Vegeta: 2,527 points
3.Son Gohan: 2,131 points
4.Trunks: 1,487 points
5.Piccolo: 1,176 points
6.Son Goten: 798 points
7.Kuririn: 736 points
8.Majin Buu: 421 points
9.Freeza: 324 points
10.Android No.18: 204 points
11.Mister Satan: 201 points
12.Karin-sama: 185
13.Kame-sennin: 172 points
14.Cell: 170 points
15.Yamcha: 163 points
16.Tenshinhan: 125
17.Bulma: 112 points
18.Android No.17: 98 points
19.Yajirobe: 93 points
20.Videl: 86 points

He was six only in the poll taking in the Buu Saga.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Whatever
Regular

Post by Whatever » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:53 am

HeroR wrote:
Whatever wrote: No surprise there,even in the dragonball forever polls gohan fall way down on the popularity poll once he became a teenager.

Best Characters

And thats what i was talking about?I listed his ranks in each saga?I don't see how that contradicts what i said about gohan's rank in the buu saga.

Super_Divine_Genki
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Super_Divine_Genki » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:40 am

The answer to that lies completely with Nozawa-san's ability to juggle a heavier workload between Goku and Gohan. If Goku and Gohan both have big screentime/plot relevancy going forward, say goodbye to Goten getting any development (see: Zamasu arc, Goku/Goku Black).

But yeah, I'd like for Gohan to get one more super big push during this series. I don't need it to be a passing-the-torch kind thing at all because we know by now that Gohan doesn't possess the fighting instincts, but Super can develop him in a way so that there's better balance between his mind toward education and his mind toward protecting his family/friends. I feel that would be a satisfying place to leave Gohan at by the time the DB story comes to its end.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:50 am

Whatever wrote:
HeroR wrote:

Best Characters

And thats what i was talking about?I listed his ranks in each saga?I don't see how that contradicts what i said about gohan's rank in the buu saga.
You said the Dragon Ball Forever Poll that Gohan dropped, which he didn't. He went up since he was six in the last poll in the Buu Saga (which isn't the Dragon Ball Forever Poll), while here he's third.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.