dissapointed about the action

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

gohan_black
Beyond Newbie

Re: dissapointed about the action

Post by gohan_black » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:28 pm

Gafonso6 wrote:
gohan_black wrote:I'm just asking. is it not okay for us as fans to ask for somethin that will blow our mind. the same way the cell vs goku fight blow our mind back then. like seariously. in 2017 with all the new technology youl expect something more. seariously where in this arc we got something that is revolutionary?
So let me get this straight, this series has had production issues from the very beggining that ONLY 80 EPISODES IN started showing signs of a good production and you're asking for something revolutionary?! :shock: I don't think you're in a position to criticize anyone's expectations.
bullshit. the show started to look good since episode 47. they had planty of times to get over themeselves. you have very low standarts if your happy with the current status of the show. yeha it look nice but nothing more. no tension. bland action. terrible writing. and your ok with this. that is the reason toei dont sweat. because they know they have dragon ball addicts who will be happy with anything they throw at them.

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:53 pm

HybridSaiyan wrote: That's my main problem Isn't It? I can't shake off my fanboy Z glasses and seem to always compare Z to Super. It's toxic for me as it is for you reading my posts lol, I just want...that same tension y'know? I can easily say I've enjoyed some aspects of Super, but it seems every time i enjoy something of it, it immediately gets overrun by the stupidity of the writing. I was wanting a superior series, something that completely amazes me. The animation has improved a fucking lot, i'll acknowledge that but there's something missing...
You wouldn't even be wrong in saying that there is something missing, and I could come up with a few dozen things on what that is as could anyone else. But I feel like always expecting one series to constantly live up to the other, little alone surpass, is just going to leave a sour taste in your mouth when it doesn't.
gohan_black wrote:I'm just asking. is it not okay for us as fans to ask for somethin that will blow our mind. the same way the cell vs goku fight blow our mind back then. like seariously. in 2017 with all the new technology youl expect something more. seariously where in this arc we got something that is revolutionary?
Kind of? It's kind of a weird statement. "Is it too much to ask for them to give us something that well completely DESTROY my world view and change the way I see colors and shapes and revolutionizes the industry!?" Yeah it kind of is.

Especially with the backstage hullabaloo happening. If you're expecting the absolute best thing ever to happen in Super, or any other series for that matter, you're probably going to disappoint yourself. Like I said earlier, you can enjoy the good stuff, even it it's not blowing your socks off, and that's what most people seem to do and still critique the bad. I still think this Battle Royal thing was a bad idea and I feel I was right in thinking it would lead to a lot of dull action. But we have gotten some really cool bits as well. Like the 2 scenes I showed earlier.

No one who enjoys this is lowering their expectations it's just that most don't put their target on the moon and are then disappointed when they can't hit it with a slingshot.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

Asura

Post by Asura » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:59 pm

gohan_black wrote:
Gafonso6 wrote:
So let me get this straight, this series has had production issues from the very beggining that ONLY 80 EPISODES IN started showing signs of a good production and you're asking for something revolutionary?! :shock: I don't think you're in a position to criticize anyone's expectations.
bullshit. the show started to look good since episode 47. they had planty of times to get over themeselves. you have very low standarts if your happy with the current status of the show. yeha it look nice but nothing more. no tension. bland action. terrible writing. and your ok with this. that is the reason toei dont sweat. because they know they have dragon ball addicts who will be happy with anything they throw at them.
The Universe Survival Arc already looks much better than the FT arc. They've been slowly progressing and in my opinion Dragon Ball Super hasn't consistently looked this good ever before this arc. The key word there is consistent, because while the FT arc had some really nice animation and art at times, it was inconsistent as fuck and there would be lots of episodes with awful looking art. You don't have that anymore in the US arc. Aside from the first few episodes, I can't ever remember an episode that I felt disappointed by watching because of how bad it looked. It never looked bad to me.

Compare these two pictures. One is from the FT arc, the other from the US arc. Without even looking at the detail of the art (which again has been way, way more consistent during this arc than the other arcs), just look at how much difference the colors, filter and lighting is making. It almost makes it look like a whole new show.

[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]

The show is still improving. I think we should have reached this quality much sooner than we have, but it is what it is. To me the show is currently acceptable and it's consistent enough to where I can enjoy it and not have to look at every other episode shaking my head because a lot of the art in the episode looks terrible.

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:05 pm

gohan_black wrote:
Gafonso6 wrote:
Yeah it's definitely me the one who's at fault for having my expectation to low and not you, the person who wants something revolutionary in terms of animation from what is just a normal anime. You're totally right there buddy :lolno: . This discussion is going nowhere, nobody will be able to convince that your expectations are way to high.
I'm just a DB fan that's in the grey area that exists between an Hardcore Fanboy and a Casual :P

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:07 pm

gohan_black wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:I found the action far more consistently good than any other arc in Super so far. Yeah, some animation has been reused, but Dragon Ball always does that. Plus, it mean we see less poorly animated scenes.
better then super and yet terrible in comparison to even dragon ball. your standarts are very low that is the main problem with all of the dragon ball community and this is why super is complete garbage. sorry but it is. terribly wrriten. bland action and more. yes the animation is pretty good but so what? are we gonna focus only on that?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWdd6_ZxX8c

But in all seriousness, a lot people find Super enjoyable to certain degrees, myself included, despite it flaws. I don't hold the previous Dragon Ball anime in high regard, I find the best of the Super, visually and in terms of writing to be on par or even greater that what the franchise provided prior to it. But at the same token, I consider some of the worst that Super has provided in any capacity is are among the low points of the franchise.

You also have to remember that this forum doesn't represent even a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of the Dragon Ball fandom in, well, any kind capacity. The opinions shared on this forum doesn't represent what the masses who follow Dragon Ball believe.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:22 pm

Super has looked good or decent since halfway into the U6 tournament, and has improved consistently from there.

Botamo and Frost fights in the U6 tournament looked pretty bad, but after that everything was serviceable.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:29 pm

As the tournament goes further and there are less characters each fight will last longer and more episodes will focus on one fight which should improve the fighting.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:01 pm

Some gems have been noticeable throughout the tournament, but by and large it's pretty generic. But I'm someone that has a difficult time finding the choreography all that engaging and memorable. Jackie Chun fighting Tenshinhan has to be more impressive than many of the fights in Super and even Z. It was basic with mostly hand to hand combat, but it worked for what the series was focusing on at the time. Finding quality fights like that in some of this later material is hard to do.
Last edited by Lionel on Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gohan_black
Beyond Newbie

Post by gohan_black » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:12 pm

Asura wrote:
gohan_black wrote:
Gafonso6 wrote:
The Universe Survival Arc already looks much better than the FT arc. They've been slowly progressing and in my opinion Dragon Ball Super hasn't consistently looked this good ever before this arc. The key word there is consistent, because while the FT arc had some really nice animation and art at times, it was inconsistent as fuck and there would be lots of episodes with awful looking art. You don't have that anymore in the US arc. Aside from the first few episodes, I can't ever remember an episode that I felt disappointed by watching because of how bad it looked. It never looked bad to me.

Compare these two pictures. One is from the FT arc, the other from the US arc. Without even looking at the detail of the art (which again has been way, way more consistent during this arc than the other arcs), just look at how much difference the colors, filter and lighting is making. It almost makes it look like a whole new show.

[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]

The show is still improving. I think we should have reached this quality much sooner than we have, but it is what it is. To me the show is currently acceptable and it's consistent enough to where I can enjoy it and not have to look at every other episode shaking my head because a lot of the art in the episode looks terrible.

WHO CARES ABOUT THE ANIMATION???

seariosuly this is all you took from my comment. the fight scenes are still trash i dont care that the animation is good

gohan_black
Beyond Newbie

Post by gohan_black » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:16 pm

Boo Machine wrote:
HybridSaiyan wrote: That's my main problem Isn't It? I can't shake off my fanboy Z glasses and seem to always compare Z to Super. It's toxic for me as it is for you reading my posts lol, I just want...that same tension y'know? I can easily say I've enjoyed some aspects of Super, but it seems every time i enjoy something of it, it immediately gets overrun by the stupidity of the writing. I was wanting a superior series, something that completely amazes me. The animation has improved a fucking lot, i'll acknowledge that but there's something missing...
You wouldn't even be wrong in saying that there is something missing, and I could come up with a few dozen things on what that is as could anyone else. But I feel like always expecting one series to constantly live up to the other, little alone surpass, is just going to leave a sour taste in your mouth when it doesn't.
Kind of? It's kind of a weird statement. "Is it too much to ask for them to give us something that well completely DESTROY my world view and change the way I see colors and shapes and revolutionizes the industry!?" Yeah it kind of is.

Especially with the backstage hullabaloo happening. If you're expecting the absolute best thing ever to happen in Super, or any other series for that matter, you're probably going to disappoint yourself. Like I said earlier, you can enjoy the good stuff, even it it's not blowing your socks off, and that's what most people seem to do and still critique the bad. I still think this Battle Royal thing was a bad idea and I feel I was right in thinking it would lead to a lot of dull action. But we have gotten some really cool bits as well. Like the 2 scenes I showed earlier.

No one who enjoys this is lowering their expectations it's just that most don't put their target on the moon and are then disappointed when they can't hit it with a slingshot.
to expect revolutionery fight scenes in a continuation to an anime that is about fighting is nothing out of the ordinary. yes i want to see impressive fight scenes that top the old ones. what we dont get. the fight scenes are boring as shit. stop defending this turd of a show

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:31 pm

gohan_black wrote:yes i want to see impressive fight scenes that top the old ones. what we dont get. the fight scenes are boring as shit.
That's a bit of a tall order you're asking for. However I would like a bit more intensity in the action myself.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Boo Machine

Post by Boo Machine » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:40 pm

gohan_black wrote: to expect revolutionery fight scenes in a continuation to an anime that is about fighting is nothing out of the ordinary
Unless you have some warped definition of "revolutionary" then, yes, it is out of the ordinary. It's implying you want some thing new and amazing that's never been done before and will change the landscape of fighting anime for years to come. That's pretty unrealistic.
gohan_black wrote: yes i want to see impressive fight scenes that top the old ones. what we dont get. the fight scenes are boring as shit. stop defending this turd of a show
"Stop opposing my point of view and let me be angry" is all I hear when people tell me to stop defending anything.

It's not even about defending anything. I have very little interest in "defending super. Because it doesn't need it and I have nothing to gain in getting you to like the show. If you don't like it then it's no problem, I'm only saying that it's silly to wave away any good action scenes, because it's not specifically what you wanted. It's a problem when you expect the greatest thing ever put to T.V. and getting upset when you don't get it, and then act like everyone else is the problem for liking it.

If you don't like Super then that's perfectly fine my friend, but accusing anyone who doesn't feel the same way as having low standards or being blind fanboys is only doing those people and yourself a huge disservice. If you don't want to have an actual discussion then don't start one.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

julianix
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by julianix » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:54 pm

Goku vs Freeza one punch scene was the best animated bit in all of super ...

They have the talent but they are in way over their head and have to resort to a lot of tatatata...energy blast...tatatatatata...energy blast...power up...tatatata..zing zing zing [ my version of the disappearing speed move] tatatatata

Acetona
Beyond Newbie

Post by Acetona » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:05 pm

gohan_black wrote:bullshit. the show started to look good since episode 47. they had planty of times to get over themeselves. you have very low standarts if your happy with the current status of the show. yeha it look nice but nothing more. no tension. bland action. terrible writing. and your ok with this. that is the reason toei dont sweat. because they know they have dragon ball addicts who will be happy with anything they throw at them.
Why exactly at the start of the FT arc? I mean, we got some good looking episodes before it. Oh, wait, I know why! Before it, the majority of people hated on Super, but after revealing an edgy evil version of our main character, it instantly became a god tier level show. And I couldn't disagree more, ToP arc is way more consistent than FT arc, it's just that in the latter they put the weaker animation team in dialogue heavy episodes.
キミもテイマーをめざせ!

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:08 pm

A major difference between the battles in DBZ and Super is that the former had layers to it. They were like self-contained stories; each had a beginning, middle, and end that did not just consist of tatattatatata and beams for 30 minutes.

Example using, arguably, the best fight in the entire franchise (i.e. Vegeta vs Everyone):
- Goku fights him 1v1, but quickly realizes that Vegeta has the upper hand.
- Goku uses kaioken and mops the living hell out of Vegeta. You can see both the physical and emotional pain Vegeta endures as a low class is beating him.
- Vegeta becomes impatient and decides to blow up the entire planet. Cue the greatest beam struggle EVER, as Goku sacrifices his body to save the planet and beat Vegeta.
- Vegeta transforms into an Oozaru > Goku is outmatched > he decides to flee and gather energy for the spirit bomb > Vegeta catches him and starts torturing him.
- Krillin and Gohan try to save him, but are helpless and forced to watch Vegeta continue harming Goku. Yajirobe surprisingly cuts off his tail.
- Goku is incapacitated, so it's up to Krillin and Gohan to beat Vegeta, but they are effortlessly stomped.
- Goku transfers spirit bomb ki to Krillin > he tosses it to Vegeta > Vegeta dodges > Gohan rebounds it back to him.
- Vegeta surprisingly survives > notices Gohan regrew his tail > attempts to kill him before he can transform > Yajirobe distracts him long enough for Gohan to do so.
- Oozaru Gohan vs Vegeta > Vegeta manages to cut off his tail, but not before Gohan falls on top of him!
- Krillin attempts to kill Vegeta before he leaves, but is stopped by Goku.

So many different events happen in this one fight, making it like a mini-story arc within the overall story arc, and keeping it fresh without feeling like it's dragging on too long. So it's not really a case of just animation; it's intriguing because of all the layers that make up this one single fight. Strategies, teamwork, cool fight sequences, and genuine tension all encompass this one battle.

I can't think of anything in Super that comes close to this. And I don't just mean this fight (which, to be honest, DBZ never surpassed either, imo), but the overall notion of multiple building blocks making up one battle. You see this a lot in the past.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Asura

Post by Asura » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:52 pm

Acetona wrote:
gohan_black wrote:bullshit. the show started to look good since episode 47. they had planty of times to get over themeselves. you have very low standarts if your happy with the current status of the show. yeha it look nice but nothing more. no tension. bland action. terrible writing. and your ok with this. that is the reason toei dont sweat. because they know they have dragon ball addicts who will be happy with anything they throw at them.
Why exactly at the start of the FT arc? I mean, we got some good looking episodes before it. Oh, wait, I know why! Before it, the majority of people hated on Super, but after revealing an edgy evil version of our main character, it instantly became a god tier level show. And I couldn't disagree more, ToP arc is way more consistent than FT arc, it's just that in the latter they put the weaker animation team in dialogue heavy episodes.
This is how I feel as well, although Black did turn out to be a very, very good character. Zamasu sucked.
gohan_black wrote:
Asura wrote:

[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]

seariosuly this is all you took from my comment. the fight scenes are still trash i dont care that the animation is good
You're talking about how the art already improved from episode 47 and so from that point they had "plenty of time" to do other things better, yet you fail to realize how much they've improved in that category as well. You act as if nothing has changed in over 40+ episodes.

Basako
Advanced Regular

Post by Basako » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:06 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:A major difference between the battles in DBZ and Super is that the former had layers to it. They were like self-contained stories; each had a beginning, middle, and end that did not just consist of tatattatatata and beams for 30 minutes.

Example using, arguably, the best fight in the entire franchise (i.e. Vegeta vs Everyone):
- Goku fights him 1v1, but quickly realizes that Vegeta has the upper hand.
- Goku uses kaioken and mops the living hell out of Vegeta. You can see both the physical and emotional pain Vegeta endures as a low class is beating him.
- Vegeta becomes impatient and decides to blow up the entire planet. Cue the greatest beam struggle EVER, as Goku sacrifices his body to save the planet and beat Vegeta.
- Vegeta transforms into an Oozaru > Goku is outmatched > he decides to flee and gather energy for the spirit bomb > Vegeta catches him and starts torturing him.
- Krillin and Gohan try to save him, but are helpless and forced to watch Vegeta continue harming Goku. Yajirobe surprisingly cuts off his tail.
- Goku is incapacitated, so it's up to Krillin and Gohan to beat Vegeta, but they are effortlessly stomped.
- Goku transfers spirit bomb ki to Krillin > he tosses it to Vegeta > Vegeta dodges > Gohan rebounds it back to him.
- Vegeta surprisingly survives > notices Gohan regrew his tail > attempts to kill him before he can transform > Yajirobe distracts him long enough for Gohan to do so.
- Oozaru Gohan vs Vegeta > Vegeta manages to cut off his tail, but not before Gohan falls on top of him!
- Krillin attempts to kill Vegeta before he leaves, but is stopped by Goku.

So many different events happen in this one fight, making it like a mini-story arc within the overall story arc, and keeping it fresh without feeling like it's dragging on too long. So it's not really a case of just animation; it's intriguing because of all the layers that make up this one single fight. Strategies, teamwork, cool fight sequences, and genuine tension all encompass this one battle.

I can't think of anything in Super that comes close to this. And I don't just mean this fight (which, to be honest, DBZ never surpassed either, imo), but the overall notion of multiple building blocks making up one battle. You see this a lot in the past.
The manga Zamasu arc fights would. Now, you can't ask for this structure in an 80 character royale battle. A lot of things have happened and it's still the begining.

Strategies, teamwork, cool fight sequences and genuine tension, it's all there. I don't see why you make look like people only care about animation, I care about the writing mostly and, in this arc, they are putting a good care on it. Not everything is perfect, neither Z was, but there are original techniques, good fights, a few funny moments and a lot going on. For example, there is Freeza with his plans, maybe something about Mojito, universes are being erased, a crazy saiyan girl went berserk destroying everything, there is this Jiren guy extremely strong, which we don't have any idea how they are going to win to him. Still nine fighters on stage, but be sure they are going to reduce and the tension will grow. It's being a good arc with a good progression so far. If anything, I would ask for a slower pacing so we could have more fight sequences of a lot of those we are not seeing.
Heno heno kappa!

gohan_black
Beyond Newbie

Post by gohan_black » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:06 pm

Asura wrote:
Acetona wrote:
This is how I feel as well, although Black did turn out to be a very, very good character. Zamasu sucked.
gohan_black wrote:
Asura wrote:

[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]

You're talking about how the art already improved from episode 47 and so from that point they had "plenty of time" to do other things better, yet you fail to realize how much they've improved in that category as well. You act as if nothing has changed in over 40+ episodes.
They dident improved on the fighting. There is bearly any hand to hand combat anymore. Its all about energy beams. There is no martial arts moves at all

Basako
Advanced Regular

Post by Basako » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:14 pm

gohan_black wrote: They dident improved on the fighting. There is bearly any hand to hand combat anymore. Its all about energy beams. There is no martial arts moves at all
That's not true, we just had Gohan and Opni which was mostly hand to hand. Kakunsa and 17 was a unique fight too. Krilin and Majora. 18, Krilin and Sosha. Botamo and Magetta. Kale the destroyer. The Pride Troopers and U9 fighters had very special moves too. Even Napapa was unique, defeated by Caulifla. Basil was great. And we didn't get to the big fights yet.
Heno heno kappa!

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:24 pm

gohan_black wrote:to expect revolutionery fight scenes in a continuation to an anime that is about fighting is nothing out of the ordinary. yes i want to see impressive fight scenes that top the old ones. what we dont get. the fight scenes are boring as shit. stop defending this turd of a show
There's got to be a better way to express your opinions and interact with people than how you worded this post. I know it could sure use some more spelling and grammar care, too.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!