dissapointed about the action

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Basako
Advanced Regular

Re: dissapointed about the action

Post by Basako » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:21 am

sintzu wrote:
gohan_black wrote:I'm just asking. is it not okay for us as fans to ask for somethin that will blow our mind. the same way the cell vs goku fight blow our mind back then.
A good amount of people here think what we've gotten so far is that good which really shows how low everyone's standareds are for the franchise. We're to the point where just moving figures on the screen is enough to make people happy.

The only thing I can think of is that they're saving their best staff for the main fights. a team up of Goku and Hit is as main as it gets so that's where I think things will start to pick up (then again, Goku and Vegeta teaming up is a big deal and we all know how that turned out).

Super has shown to be able to do really good fights but unlike DB & Z, it can't do them all the time because of how messed up its production is and how spread out Toei's staff is. I'm not expecting Goku vs Hit level of quality every episode but with a tournament like this, we should've gotten something close by now.
Yes, what we had so far is good and I expect it to be better. I don't think this is better than Z, but it's not bad at all, my standard are fine, they aren't low.

We've had a lot of good fights and it's not true they are just moving on screen or just saying tatata.

Tatata moments have always happened in DB whenever two fighters have been somehow in pair. I think Yamcha and Tenshinhan were the ones first having it, I rewatched the 22nd budokai recently. But don't tell me that has not been repeating over and over since then. In fact, I would be dissapointed if they stopped doing it.

But they are just moments, it's false that is all we are getting. Didn't you people see Gohan vs Opni, Krilin & 18 vs Sosha and Majora, 17 vs Kakunsa, Goku vs Rozie, Vegeta vs Botamo & Magetta, Goku, 17 & 18 vs Pride Troopers, Caulifla and Kale vs Pride troopers, Kale vs everyone, U9 vs Goku and Vegeta and so on. Plus the exhibition matches, four fights, two of them were amazing. We've seen a great variety of fighting techniques, styles and even personalities and we've not even started with the big fishes.

Precita made an excellent memory exercise reminding us there used to be minor and short fights before too. It was fine then and it is fine now too.
Last edited by Basako on Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Heno heno kappa!

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:32 am

fadeddreams5 wrote: That fight against Pui Pui isn't treated as a fight. It's moreso a statement from Vegeta and an example of how a battle (well, a beatdown, in particular) does not need to have stellar animation (it's pretty average; good, but not amazing) or be long-winded with a beginning, middle, and end to be compelling. There's minimal choreography too. It's a very simple, one-sided beatdown that hits all the right cords and defines Vegeta's character.

I'd say it's for several reasons:
A. The tone is completely serious despite what an absolutely ridiculous villain Pui Pui is. In Super, you'd expect some sort of gag in a scene like this. But no. You have Shin shitting his pants in the background, Goku excitedly observing without saying anything idiotic, and Vegeta is just there, completely stone cold.
B. Vegeta absolutely humiliates this guy. He lets him think he can win, but proceeds to block everything he throws and swap him away multiple times.
C. We're treated to effective humor as this guy is teleported to his home planet and brags about it having 10x the gravity of Earth. If you've watched this show for a long time, you know just how fucked this guy is. Even then, this is treated in a subtle manner, and the only reaction you get is Vegeta gloating that he doesn't feel it. Super has a tendency to be on the nose with its jokes.
D. Vegeta does this boxing stance, smirks, and delivers a brutal punch and kick. The sound effects are crazy; it feels like thunder is crashing when Vegeta delivers the blow.
E. It ends with Vegeta charging in, IN SLOW MOTION, smirking in this guy's face, and blowing him up to smithereens with not a single fuck given. The dub score is icing on the cake.

This is one of those scenes you can show to a friend who has never watched the series to have him want to check out a few more episodes. It leaves an impression, and it all revolves around a pathetic minion. I cannot find anything like this is Super.
As a statement of Vegeta's character, I can see that. And with the subtly as well.

I don't know If I'd show it to a friend to get them into the series though. From an outside perspective it might just look like how I described it earlier and I still don't view the fight very well, but what you say makes sense. It's a good breakdown.
sintzu wrote: What else do you want us to say ? when people say this is Super at its best, it's hard not to think their expectations are very low.
I'm not going to police what you say. I just don't want "they must have low standards" to be one of those things people bust out to brush off others peoples views that don't align with theirs. It just sounds incredibly cheap.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:14 am

So far, I think there have been three good fights in this tournament.

Those three being:

1.Kuririn and 18 vs Shosa

2. Android 17 vs Kakusan and Vikal

3. Gohan vs Obuni

I do have personal problems with the fights I've mentioned. However, I also recognize what they did well. I don't think I have low standards by enjoying them.

I don't think I have low standards for thinking that Gohan vs Obuni was a very well animated. I believe that it should be the measuring stick, which all other fights are measured up to from an animation standpoint.
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]
I don't think I have low standards for thinking that 17 vs Kakusan was a well directed and storyboarded fight. I believe that it should be the measuring stick, which all other fights are measured up to from a direction and storyboarding standpoint.

I don't think I have low standards for enjoying this scene for how it reflects on the character, as well as being the best animated and choreographed scene thus far of this tournament.
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]
Saying that some one has low standards because their opinions are different from your own isn't an argument. Thankfully, the majority of posters on this thread have been very civil when discussing their differing opinions, and have gone to great lengths to justify their positions, as should be the norm for a thread of this nature.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:06 am

I have been pleased overall. Super is not going to suddenly bust out a bunch of masterpiece scenes and episodes out of nowhere based on its history, so the general course has not had very many surprises yet. That is OK. I enjoyed the fact Vegeta helped Goku of his own volition, culminating in a Final Kamehameha. I enjoyed Kuririn's couple of cool moments. I enjoyed the Broli tribute more than the material it was paying said tribute to. #17 has been delightful and the magical girls have also been hilarious and perfectly Dragon Ball in every way. The buildup of Jiren has been intriguing enough to make me want to see the fight that will inevitably happen.

As an anime, Super will never be a swansong of the genre or even the franchise itself. However, there's no reason not to have fun watching it. Heck, I enjoy listening to people tear it to shreds. I'm just glad it exists to begin with.

So yeah, the action isn't that disappointing. It's not like we're dealing with the first two arcs anymore.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:28 pm

In OG DBZ, Vegeta would have punched that fat magical lady to next Thursday without a single f given. She would have been Pui Pui'd.

I miss the Vegeta of old.
The buildup of Jiren has been intriguing enough to make me want to see the fight that will inevitably happen.
It would be hilarious if he just trips and falls off the stage. We never see him fight or hear him speak more than a sentence, and he just disappears into obscurity.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:38 pm

I guess some fans were expecting the fights and the ToP to be something like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Jv5l9JrqSY

With some creativity in the fight scenes and different arenas?

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:00 pm

perucho1990 wrote:I guess some fans were expecting the fights and the ToP to be something like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Jv5l9JrqSY

With some creativity in the fight scenes and different arenas?
That would have been pretty neat. And a good way to give everyone a good showing with the quicker fights at the start before the big guns have to take center stage. Certainly a lot less complicated then trying to have everyone doing something at the same time.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:07 am

Boo Machine wrote:
snpaa wrote:
you make a fair point but That goku vs gohan video you posted has been edited to remove a lot of the fluff, I noticed a lot of the looping animations in that actual episode have been removed, thus giving the impression that it was a lot more of dynamic fight then it actually was. can you post a more accurate video?
Oh snap! You're right. That's my bad.

Vegeta vs Captain Ginyu: (Sorry to those who don't like the dub, it's the only version I could find.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nxd26_A_Jc

Goku vs Gohan:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1uxoabXTLc&t=155s

That one should be better, I edited my original post but I'll just link it here to. The dialogue is cut out but all the ATATATATA's are in there. It's surprisingly difficult to find this fight in full that isn't edited or in a million parts.
I find it ironic that people are using Goku versus Gohan as an example of how Super over-uses looped animation. I say this chiefly because animator behind that fight, Tu Yong-ce, was actively attempting to mimic DBZ's action.

Acetona
Beyond Newbie

Post by Acetona » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:13 pm

Asura wrote: This is how I feel as well, although Black did turn out to be a very, very good character. Zamasu sucked.
I'll be honest, I dislike them both. I found Zamasu way less annoying though. Like, seriously, Black got under my skin.
キミもテイマーをめざせ!

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:16 pm

Villains are supposed to get under your skin, that's the point of them.

JazzMazz
I Live Here

Post by JazzMazz » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:44 am

Episode #104 delivered some of the best action in the show, if this continues then I might actually become invested in the tournament.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:34 am

precita wrote:Villains are supposed to get under your skin, that's the point of them.
I think it depends why. Maybe he feels like it was poorly written and thats why.

Though I get what you mean. I hated Quitella, hope I spelled that right, until I realized its because I'm supposed to. Then I appreciated him a bit.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"