dissapointed about the action

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JulianStyles
Banned

Re: dissapointed about the action

Post by JulianStyles » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:32 pm

Want to see a bad looking fight. Look at this crap in GT. And this supposed to be the penicle.

https://youtu.be/oDRsYexxqbs

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:37 pm

gohan_black wrote:ever since the tournament started and up to this episode as well the action is mediocore. bearly any melee fights and focusing more on beams. you dont see good choroapraphy at all. the fights are bland as hell.
This has always been Super's problem.
Other than Goku vs Beerus, Vegetto vs Zamasu and a small clip of Goku vs Black.

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:10 pm

JulianStyles wrote:Want to see a bad looking fight. Look at this crap in GT. And this supposed to be the penicle.

Is this moving in slow motion or something? I just rewatched GT a few months ago and don't remember it looking like this.

Boo Machine

Post by Boo Machine » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:18 pm

Asura wrote:
JulianStyles wrote:Want to see a bad looking fight. Look at this crap in GT. And this supposed to be the penicle.

Is this moving in slow motion or something? I just rewatched GT a few months ago and don't remember it looking like this.
The earlier part of the fight before the fusion is actually pretty good, which is the one of two fights of the whole arc I liked. But yeah this second half isn't great. At least that's how I remember it, I haven't watched it as recently as a few months ago though.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

Asura

Post by Asura » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:57 pm

Boo Machine wrote:
Asura wrote:

The earlier part of the fight before the fusion is actually pretty good, which is the one of two fights of the whole arc I liked. But yeah this second half isn't great. At least that's how I remember it, I haven't watched it as recently as a few months ago though.
What I meant was that the video seems really poor quality like everything is moving in slow motion or something

Just compare it to this video and how fluid and fast it is in comparison: https://youtu.be/968YzPcQ7M8?t=754

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:13 pm

Yeah, I would say that I've been let down with most of the action with this tournament. Due to most of the opponents being fought merely being fodder, we really aren't allowed to explore their abilities to the fullest and thats not even mentioning the lack of emotional investment or the flashing out of the personality of the fighters due to how little screentime they have.

From a visual and direction stand-point, aside from a few highlights everything has been very conservative, which in turn makes most of the fights we've seen up to this point pretty pedestrian and forgettable. The few stand-out fights that we've had so far have been to short for my liking, such as Gohan vs Obuni, which while having amazing visuals and a decent story, should have gone for nearly the entire episode to further flash out the personality and respect the fighters have for each other. Instead they crammed it all into a single half and while these aspects do come through, they don't come through as strongly as they could have if more time was devoted to them.

Boo Machine

Post by Boo Machine » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:18 pm

Asura wrote:
Boo Machine wrote:
Asura wrote:
What I meant was that the video seems really poor quality like everything is moving in slow motion or something

Just compare it to this video and how fluid and fast it is in comparison: https://youtu.be/968YzPcQ7M8?t=754
Hmm. You're probably right about the quality. But I'm looking at these 2 videos and a couple of another clip of the same fight and comparing certain parts of the fight, and they all appear to be the same speed.
This is the part I used to compare.

https://youtu.be/IjycVXYDjUM?t=329
https://youtu.be/oDRsYexxqbs?t=329
https://youtu.be/968YzPcQ7M8?t=753
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:21 pm

We've gotten so many great fights so far:

- Trio De Dangers versus Goku and Vegeta

- Vegeta against the female cat lady from U9 was actually good and overlooked

- Vegeta's short fight with Botamo/Magetta was fun

- Krillin's two fights were good

- Everything 18 has done is fantastic, even something as simple as picking the female pride trooper up in her shield and throwing her off.

- Caulifa/Kale double team-up against the Pride Troopers was good

- 17 versus the magical girl was pretty good, and his short fight with Ribianne was alright

- Piccolo's fight I thought was good even though it was short

- Gohan vs. U10 fighter was very nicely done with good techniques and animation

- Goku himself has some nice action scenes with everyone he fights, no matter how short they tend to be.

And as said, these are all essentially just fodder fights. Wait until we get to the good stuff.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:14 am

Basako wrote: The manga Zamasu arc fights would. Now, you can't ask for this structure in an 80 character royale battle. A lot of things have happened and it's still the begining.

Strategies, teamwork, cool fight sequences and genuine tension, it's all there. I don't see why you make look like people only care about animation, I care about the writing mostly and, in this arc, they are putting a good care on it. Not everything is perfect, neither Z was, but there are original techniques, good fights, a few funny moments and a lot going on. For example, there is Freeza with his plans, maybe something about Mojito, universes are being erased, a crazy saiyan girl went berserk destroying everything, there is this Jiren guy extremely strong, which we don't have any idea how they are going to win to him. Still nine fighters on stage, but be sure they are going to reduce and the tension will grow. It's being a good arc with a good progression so far. If anything, I would ask for a slower pacing so we could have more fight sequences of a lot of those we are not seeing.
Hence why this should have been a 5v5 battle royale between two universes at a time. I don't like the structure of this tournament at all. None of the fights have really impressed me or gotten me at all excited thus far. The recruitment episodes had some great battles, and Basil vs Buu is top 3 in Super, imo.

Some people genuinely feel the battles are only as lackluster as they are because of the animation. It makes sense too. There are two types of battles--the long-winded ones I mentioned that have a beginning, middle, and end, and then there's the short fight sequences with stellar animation and choreography that make your jaw drop in the few minutes they last (examples can be seen in One Punch Man, My Hero Academia, and Hunter x Hunter). You need one or the other to create something that really stands out and impresses/intrigues. Super has meh animation, and the fights have been rushed in this tournament. It's all very uninspired, thus far. I expect them to step it up the closer we get to the final battles.

And for the record, I did say in another thread that I'd also prefer a slower pacing, though for a slightly different reason.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

JulianStyles
Banned

Post by JulianStyles » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:51 am

Boo Machine wrote:
Asura wrote:
Boo Machine wrote:

Hmm. You're probably right about the quality. But I'm looking at these 2 videos and a couple of another clip of the same fight and comparing certain parts of the fight, and they all appear to be the same speed.
This is the part I used to compare.

https://youtu.be/IjycVXYDjUM?t=329
https://youtu.be/oDRsYexxqbs?t=329
https://youtu.be/968YzPcQ7M8?t=753
Its accurate. GT looks and feels slow with its fights. Which is one of its many flaws. Original DB fights were better than anything in GT.

Basako
Advanced Regular

Post by Basako » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:13 am

fadeddreams5 wrote: Hence why this should have been a 5v5 battle royale between two universes at a time. I don't like the structure of this tournament at all. None of the fights have really impressed me or gotten me at all excited thus far. The recruitment episodes had some great battles, and Basil vs Buu is top 3 in Super, imo.

Some people genuinely feel the battles are only as lackluster as they are because of the animation. It makes sense too. There are two types of battles--the long-winded ones I mentioned that have a beginning, middle, and end, and then there's the short fight sequences with stellar animation and choreography that make your jaw drop in the few minutes they last (examples can be seen in One Punch Man, My Hero Academia, and Hunter x Hunter). You need one or the other to create something that really stands out and impresses/intrigues. Super has meh animation, and the fights have been rushed in this tournament. It's all very uninspired, thus far. I expect them to step it up the closer we get to the final battles.

And for the record, I did say in another thread that I'd also prefer a slower pacing, though for a slightly different reason.
Well, that's matter of preference too. I like the 80 character battle royale and I prefer 10 members than 5. I love the long battle structures you listed, but you can't just say we should have that in this arc so far. No, this is another thing, there are a lot of fighters and it has to be structured and showed another way. Obviously not everyone can have all the time of the world like in other type of fights. I insist it's just the begining of the tournament for a reason, there are still tones of character and people ask things that cannot be yet. I'm just thinking how interesting it will be when there are about 10 left. Or just 5 left. Or 2. But we can't and shouldn't get there in four chapters. We have to give it time.

There are problems. Some fighters have had zero screen time. We don't see universes fighting each other, just a bit in the first episode. It's too focused in U7, they have had the 90% of eliminations, especially Goku. Universe 6 had almost the other 10%. I expected U7 to have more focus, but this is too much. Apart from this, which is a description of what we are not having, what we are having is good, a bit short, but good. Unique tecniques, variety, good choreographies, teamwork, fine power levels in general. I'm totally enjoying the arc and I care about the writing mostly.
Heno heno kappa!

Zagacious
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zagacious » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:13 am

A few of the fights have been really good, but yes I agree there are way too many fights that are just two people punching and firing a few energy blasts of no consequence and then one of them gets knocked out. There is not nearly as much hand to hand combat or energy struggles as you'd expect, most fights are just two people running and dodging for a few second and then with little effort one of them is KO'ed and they're over before they even begin.

BWri

Post by BWri » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:41 pm

gohan_black wrote:
Gafonso6 wrote:
gohan_black wrote:I'm just asking. is it not okay for us as fans to ask for somethin that will blow our mind. the same way the cell vs goku fight blow our mind back then. like seariously. in 2017 with all the new technology youl expect something more. seariously where in this arc we got something that is revolutionary?
So let me get this straight, this series has had production issues from the very beggining that ONLY 80 EPISODES IN started showing signs of a good production and you're asking for something revolutionary?! :shock: I don't think you're in a position to criticize anyone's expectations.
bullshit. the show started to look good since episode 47. they had planty of times to get over themeselves. you have very low standarts if your happy with the current status of the show. yeha it look nice but nothing more. no tension. bland action. terrible writing. and your ok with this. that is the reason toei dont sweat. because they know they have dragon ball addicts who will be happy with anything they throw at them.
As much as I agree with your sentiments, we don't have much of a choice here. We have to accept what they give us. "Bitching about it" aka criticizing is fine, it's why I ignore those who bemoan criticizing the show. Nothing is above criticism, but you have to realize that the only other option is to boycott the show, and if all of us who are disappointed by the show do that, DBS will simply end unfortunately. I don't want it to end but I want it to improve, so I'll continue watching (because I'm a hopeless DB fanboy) and will continue critiquing aka bitching as half the fandom calls it. I'm okay with it in it's current state, just disappointed that I have to turn my brain off COMPLETELY to enjoy it.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

snpaa
Not-So-Newbie

Post by snpaa » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:34 pm

None of the fights in super have been choreographed well, the people who say that it looks good to them or equal to z are the same type of people who can't tell the difference between watching two bums on the street flailing at each other and two world renowned martial artist exchanging strikes. Their has yet to be one iconic scene in this anime and we are 100+ episodes in and every fight is either a beam spam or the 1 2 straight punch spam . It's mindless and devoid of any strategy which makes a mundane watch for someone expecting something other then rockem sock robots.

The dragonball franchise is so big at this point that the name sell it alone , it's too big to fail so they don't have to put the same of level of quality into as they did in the previous series . I personally don't blame the staff for this , why bother working hard when you can do the minimalist amount of work and be greatly rewarded for it by a blindly supportive fanbase with little to no standards.

even if this series gets 200+ episodes don't expect any of the action set pieces to change in a meaningful way, so if 1 2 straight punch spam and beam spams aren't your thing you'll merely be a dissenting fan compared to the rest of the fans who will gleefully swallow it .

EDIT:
Seriously the difference is like night and day.
Last edited by snpaa on Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gohan_black
Beyond Newbie

Post by gohan_black » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:35 pm

BWri wrote:
gohan_black wrote:
Gafonso6 wrote:
So let me get this straight, this series has had production issues from the very beggining that ONLY 80 EPISODES IN started showing signs of a good production and you're asking for something revolutionary?! :shock: I don't think you're in a position to criticize anyone's expectations.
bullshit. the show started to look good since episode 47. they had planty of times to get over themeselves. you have very low standarts if your happy with the current status of the show. yeha it look nice but nothing more. no tension. bland action. terrible writing. and your ok with this. that is the reason toei dont sweat. because they know they have dragon ball addicts who will be happy with anything they throw at them.
As much as I agree with your sentiments, we don't have much of a choice here. We have to accept what they give us. "Bitching about it" aka criticizing is fine, it's why I ignore those who bemoan criticizing the show. Nothing is above criticism, but you have to realize that the only other option is to boycott the show, and if all of us who are disappointed by the show do that, DBS will simply end unfortunately. I don't want it to end but I want it to improve, so I'll continue watching (because I'm a hopeless DB fanboy) and will continue critiquing aka bitching as half the fandom calls it. I'm okay with it in it's current state, just disappointed that I have to turn my brain off COMPLETELY to enjoy it.
i will also continue watching because I'm too attached to it. other animes dont get close for me. it has certain style which cannot be matched in my poinion.

gohan_black
Beyond Newbie

Post by gohan_black » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:48 pm

snpaa wrote:None of the fights in super have been choreographed well, the people who say that it looks good to them or equal to z are the same type of people who can't tell the difference between watching two bums on the street flailing at each other and two world renowned martial artist exchanging strikes. Their has yet to be one iconic scene in this anime and we are 100+ episodes in and every fight is either a beam spam or the 1 2 straight punch spam . It's mindless and devoid of any strategy which makes a mundane watch for someone expecting something other then rockem sock robots.

The dragonball franchise is so big at this point that the name sell it alone , it's too big to fail so they don't have to put the same of level of quality into as they did in the previous series . I personally don't blame the staff for this , why bother working hard when you can do the minimalist amount of work and be greatly rewarded for it by a blindly supportive fanbase with little to no standards.

even if this series gets 200+ episodes don't expect any of the action set pieces to change in a meaningful way, so if 1 2 straight punch spam and beam spams aren't your thing you'll merely be a dissenting fan compared to the rest of the fans who will gleefully swallow it .
finally a normal non-fanboyish comment. yes the action kinda sucks. why people cannot admit it?

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:22 pm

It's DBS what do you expect? If your expecting to watching something actually good and rewatchable prepare to be disappointed about 98% of the time, the show is trash.

Asura

Post by Asura » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:24 pm

On the grand scale of things yes, Super's fight choreography is worse than Z's.

But people shouldn't be putting Z's fights on a pedestal either. There were tons upon tons of frames of people just exchanging punches with each other.

We still get a lot of decent fights though. That picture is a gross exaggeration of the fight between Goku & Gohan. There was a scene in the fight that lasted about 10 seconds of them punching eachother and going "atatatatatatata" but that was 10 seconds out of a 4 minute fight.

Some memorable fights from this arc off the top of my head:
  • Buu vs Basil
  • Gohan vs Lavenda
  • Goku vs Toppo
  • 17 vs Goku
  • Piccolo & Gohan vs Goku & Tien
  • Goku vs Gohan
  • Freeza vs U9 goons
  • GoD fight before tournament started
  • Basil vs Lilibeu (very short but still looked nice)
  • Krillin & 18 vs Shosa
  • Kale vs Goku
  • 17 vs Kakunsa
  • Gohan vs Obuni

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:29 pm

snpaa wrote:EDIT:
Seriously the difference is like night and day.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
It's surprisingly terrible and sad that this image is almost 100% accurate. That's why just Goku vs Gohan, present Zamasu vs Goku, Vegeta vs Cabba and most of Goku Black's fight are the best Dragon Ball Super fights. All of the ones I cited had a legit and cool choreography, it's lame that most of Dragon Ball Super fights are just trading punches with little to no effort put into the battle.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:35 pm

You guys must have real selective memory if you guys think all of Super's fights are like that. I mean it's actually mind blowing some of you think that, all the fights in Super play out completely differently when the exchanging punching scenes end.