People are cutting Toei too much slack for making Trunks and Goten look and act like 6 yr olds when they're 14 yrs old.

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: People are cutting Toei too much slack for making Trunks and Goten look and act like 6 yr olds when they're 14 yrs o

Post by FortuneSSJ » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:36 pm

Not really. There were a lot of complaints during ROF and Champa arc time skips. Now most people pretty much gave up on that, it seems.
Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Topic Creator...Werent you the guy that went BERSERK on a guy for "Hating on Super" and "Being too Negative"? Not that I disagree but now you seem to be a hypocrite... That said I dont want to waste my anger and or be displeased by Super at this point in the game. I simply dont have the emotional connection required to be frustrated.
My thoughts exactly. How many people in his forum are bipolar?!
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

The Monkey King
Advanced Regular

Re: People are cutting Toei too much slack for making Trunks and Goten look and act like 6 yr olds when they're 14 yrs o

Post by The Monkey King » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:08 pm

It does annoy me but now I've given up, it's not worth the energy being bothered about.

We've seen how a 14 year old Trunks is supposed to look like:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

But according to DBS defenders they will ignore this and defend Super to the death.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:45 pm

The Monkey King wrote:It does annoy me but now I've given up, it's not worth the energy being bothered about.

But according to DBS defenders they will ignore this and defend Super to the death.
Your own two statements don't even reconcile with themselves.

As you just stated yourself, it's possible to simultaneously be done with fretting over this issue and still find other aspects of the property to engage with.

Fandom is not a black-and-white issue. There are degrees of enjoyment. Let's all please not pretend or delude ourselves otherwise, and find ways to have interesting conversations without either playing the victim or demonizing anyone else over one tiny little issue.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

gofishus
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gofishus » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:42 pm

I think the difference is especially jarring when you consider Gohan in the Cell arc was actually younger than Goten and Trunks now. but "teen" Gohan had way more maturity and looked much older than Goten and Trunks do now. From my perspective, Goten and Trunks stayed at the same maturity level as Buu Saga + actually looks younger due to the art style change (much like how Bulma looks younger in Super than in Buu Saga due to art change)

Whatever
Regular

Post by Whatever » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:07 pm

Because most people do not care about them and its not even the worst problem for super.
Goku could be 80 years old and they could still be that short for all i care.

TheOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheOne » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:44 pm

Whatever wrote:Because most people do not care about them and its not even the worst problem for super.
All that proves is that your standards are low :roll:
How i predict the tournament will end:

Whatever
Regular

Post by Whatever » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:31 pm

TheOne wrote:
Whatever wrote:Because most people do not care about them and its not even the worst problem for super.
It proves how little i and all of others care about them.

TekTheNinja
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TekTheNinja » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:54 pm

It's been a huge issue for a while now, but redundantly repeating the same complaints over and over won't change anything so now most of us are just patiently waiting and hoping for the characters to age. Sure we bring it up ever now and then, but yeah, I wouldn't say that many people are cutting anyone any slack for it.

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:34 pm

Whatever wrote:
TheOne wrote:
It proves how little i and all of others care about them.
Please don't make blanket statements regarding how "all" feel about something. You know your own viewpoint and are entitled to it, but so are we.
Goten of Japan wrote:Don't go 9... Go 10! (Go-ten. Goten. Get it? DOOD.)
The NUMBER ONE Goten fan, and a fucking epic one at that.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:44 pm

I don't remember them acting like little kids. If anything, they showed that Goten now considers Great Saiyaman lame and Kid Trunks acted quite like his age in FT arc, and in this arc when he wanted to stand by his mother when she was giving birth to Bra. We also have to remember Goten is a country kid, and like his father and his brother he is quite naive. And Goku didn't act all that mature in OG DB, and he was roughly the same age as Goten and Trunks now.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

gofishus
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gofishus » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:44 pm

emperior wrote:I don't remember them acting like little kids. If anything, they showed that Goten now considers Great Saiyaman lame and Kid Trunks acted quite like his age in FT arc, and in this arc when he wanted to stand by his mother when she was giving birth to Bra. We also have to remember Goten is a country kid, and like his father and his brother he is quite naive. And Goku didn't act all that mature in OG DB, and he was roughly the same age as Goten and Trunks now.
But Gohan was pretty mature at Goten's age (Cell Saga)

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:00 pm

gofishus wrote:
emperior wrote:I don't remember them acting like little kids. If anything, they showed that Goten now considers Great Saiyaman lame and Kid Trunks acted quite like his age in FT arc, and in this arc when he wanted to stand by his mother when she was giving birth to Bra. We also have to remember Goten is a country kid, and like his father and his brother he is quite naive. And Goku didn't act all that mature in OG DB, and he was roughly the same age as Goten and Trunks now.
But Gohan was pretty mature at Goten's age (Cell Saga)
But Gohan went through so much shit by that point that I can easily understand he was already quite mature. The guy had lived many months alone in the wild, went through many death battles and saw people die, and he was always hanging up with grown-up men.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

jplaya2023
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by jplaya2023 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:29 am

goku was 12 at the beginning of DB and looked like how goten looked until the 23rd BT

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:45 am

I said once and will say it again... I really don't understand this comparison people insist on doing between Goku and hybrids. You can't compare them. Stop it, don't do it, they're not the same. Just because Goku had his way to grow, doesn't mean everyone else will have it too. Gohan didn't grow up like Goku, future Trunks (and therefore, present Trunks shouldn't) didn't grow up like Goku and Goten... Well, see "note" below.

One is a 100% Saiyan with all his characteristics, others are Earthlings with 50% Saiyan blood. Which means their growth rate might be different. While Goten can inherit it from his father, Trunks didn't, Gohan didn't. Apart from Goten, do not compare Goku with the others, there's no connection here to be made, and you're not justifying anything by using Goku as an (terrible) example.

Note: That said about Goten, we know that if Trunks were to be taller, Toriyama and Toei would obviously make Goten taller as well (as he lives in Trunks' shadow). Which would mean that Goten didn't inherit Saiyans' characteristic, which would also mean that his present height is a problem.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:11 pm

Grimlock wrote:I said once and will say it again... I really don't understand this comparison people insist on doing between Goku and hybrids. You can't compare them. Stop it, don't do it, they're not the same. Just because Goku had his way to grow, doesn't mean everyone else will have it too. Gohan didn't grow up like Goku, future Trunks (and therefore, present Trunks shouldn't) didn't grow up like Goku and Goten... Well, see "note" below.

One is a 100% Saiyan with all his characteristics, others are Earthlings with 50% Saiyan blood. Which means their growth rate might be different. While Goten can inherit it from his father, Trunks didn't, Gohan didn't. Apart from Goten, do not compare Goku with the others, there's no connection here to be made, and you're not justifying anything by using Goku as an (terrible) example.

Note: That said about Goten, we know that if Trunks were to be taller, Toriyama and Toei would obviously make Goten taller as well (as he lives in Trunks' shadow). Which would mean that Goten didn't inherit Saiyans' characteristic, which would also mean that his present height is a problem.
Why cant you compare them? We know what human children and Saiyan children age like individually. So we can assume if they are aging similar to their Saiyan side that is the reason. Its not like we are speculating at some genetic mystery.

Also while its a bit cheap, you can argue that version of Trunks isnt the same one we see. Hes from a different future.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:28 pm

GodKaio-Ken wrote:Why cant you compare them?
Because Biology was never that simple.
GodKaio-Ken wrote:We know what human children and Saiyan children age like individually. So we can assume if they are aging similar to their Saiyan side that is the reason. Its not like we are speculating at some genetic mystery.
You know individually, but you don't know if that individuality applies to everyone. You couldn't apply someone's case to anybody else.
GodKaio-Ken wrote:Also while its a bit cheap, you can argue that version of Trunks isnt the same one we see. Hes from a different future.
Actually you can't. Different timelines, but it's the same parents with the same genes, with the same conditions, with the same DNA, with the same everything. Being from a different timeline doesn't interfere what comes from within. If future Trunks has blue hair because he dyed it, then present Trunks won't have it unless he also dyes it. But if future Trunks has blue hair since he was born, no matter which timeline we're talking about, all Trunks will have blue hair, it's in their genetic code they got from the parents, and if the parents are the same, there's no logical reason one Trunks would be different and not got the blue hair. The same applies to height (and every trait born with), if a 13/14-year-old future Trunks is "1.65cm", then present Trunks should be that tall as well.

~ Day of the Machines ~

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:36 pm

Grimlock wrote:
GodKaio-Ken wrote:Why cant you compare them?
Because Biology was never that simple.
GodKaio-Ken wrote:We know what human children and Saiyan children age like individually. So we can assume if they are aging similar to their Saiyan side that is the reason. Its not like we are speculating at some genetic mystery.
You know individually, but you don't know if that individuality applies to everyone. You couldn't apply someone's case to anybody else.
GodKaio-Ken wrote:Also while its a bit cheap, you can argue that version of Trunks isnt the same one we see. Hes from a different future.
Actually you can't. Different timelines, but it's the same parents with the same genes, with the same conditions, with the same DNA, with the same everything. Being from a different timeline doesn't interfere what comes from within. If future Trunks has blue hair because he dyed it, then present Trunks won't have it unless he also dyes it. But if future Trunks has blue hair since he was born, no matter which timeline we're talking about, all Trunks will have blue hair, it's in their genetic code they got from the parents, and if the parents are the same, there's no logical reason one Trunks would be different and not got the blue hair. The same applies to height (and every trait born with), if a 13/14-year-old future Trunks is "1.65cm", then present Trunks should be that tall as well.
These people dont really have genes. There is no complication to the matter. Youre treating them like they are actual people, they arent. The science behind them is simplistic because their traits are written by people not the minute details of biology. Its exactly what I explained before, we know where the trait comes from and it seems like youre making a mystery where there is none.

As far as Future Trunks goes your environment, physical regimen, nuttritional intake, what chemicals you breathe can all impact your growth. Its not weird they would be different.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:00 pm

GodKaio-Ken wrote:These people dont really have genes. There is no complication to the matter. Youre treating them like they are actual people, they arent. The science behind them is simplistic because their traits are written by people not the minute details of biology. Its exactly what I explained before, we know where the trait comes from and it seems like youre making a mystery where there is none.

As far as Future Trunks goes your environment, physical regimen, nuttritional intake, what chemicals you breathe can all impact your growth. Its not weird they would be different.
No? Then why Raditz says to Goku he looks just like their father? Why Goku says to future Trunks he reminds of Vegeta? If they don't have genes, these kind of comments shouldn't exist as well, right? Complication is making present Trunks shorter than what he should really be.

There's no register of people who live in countries in war have a rate of growth different from people who live in a country not in war. Physical regimen/nutritional intake affect your weight, which by the way, both Trunks and Future Trunks share virtually the same physical body shape, they're not fat or very thin because it's not in their genetic code.

~ Day of the Machines ~