People are cutting Toei too much slack for making Trunks and Goten look and act like 6 yr olds when they're 14 yrs old.

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hit!!
Regular

People are cutting Toei too much slack for making Trunks and Goten look and act like 6 yr olds when they're 14 yrs old.

Post by Hit!! » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:03 pm

Basically that!!

This community should be way more infuriated and enraged by this bullshit, but for some reason, no one seems to care. This is the worst problem i find with Super's narrative. WHY THE FUCK AREN'T THESE CHARACTERS AGEING??? WHY?? WHYYYYYYY???

MaskedRider
Banned

Re: People are cutting Toei too much slack for making Trunks and Goten look and act like 6 yr olds when they're 14 yrs o

Post by MaskedRider » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:16 pm

Are they fourteen? I thought they should be about eleven years old by now. Even then I thought they have been consistent, heck Trunks shows a lot of maturity when having to deal with Future Trunks. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoZ_bHr-9JY

Also being able to watch over 17's island shows they are taking in responsibility.

I can agree with them looking younger than they should be though, I swear they reduced in height from old to new art style.

precita
Banned

Re: People are cutting Toei too much slack for making Trunks and Goten look and act like 6 yr olds when they're 14 yrs o

Post by precita » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:16 pm

I've been complaining about this for a while.

The only reason I'm not too bothered is because I know we'll eventually get to EOZ where Trunks and Goten are adults. Hopefully it happens in the next arc, I bet Trunks and Goten will be treated as major characters along with Uub.

Hit!!
Regular

Post by Hit!! » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:19 pm

Maturity?? Vegeta has to lie to Trunks telling him that Frieza is good now, like if he was a fucking 5 year old.. No, Trunks and Goten are still being treated like toddlers and it's frustrating. They hold more similarity to start of Z Gohan than their EOZ selves.

MaskedRider
Banned

Post by MaskedRider » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:20 pm

Hit!! wrote:Maturity?? Vegeta has to lie to Trunks telling him that Frieza is good now, like if he was a fucking 5 year old.. No, Trunks and Goten are still being treated like toddlers and it's frustrating. They hold more similarity to start of Z Gohan than their EOZ selves.
I suppose its not the EOZ then :lol:

Edit: After re-watching the scene I don't see a problem with it. The lad clearly remembers and know Frieza is a bad guy but Vegeta lies to him in order for him, and to extent Goten because Trunks would tell him about it, to not find out about the tournament. Trunks respects his father, acting much like him asking Future Trunks how he can call himself a Saiyan, so its understandable for him to think "Well how about that.". In the end its just a cheap gag due to Vegeta of all people having to defend Frieza considering their history together.

If anything I would rather get mad for nobody wanting to make Goten stand out more. All he does is lose to Trunks and a victim to ChiChi's study demands. :crazy:
Last edited by MaskedRider on Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:22 pm

Topic Creator...Werent you the guy that went BERSERK on a guy for "Hating on Super" and "Being too Negative"? Not that I disagree but now you seem to be a hypocrite... That said I dont want to waste my anger and or be displeased by Super at this point in the game. I simply dont have the emotional connection required to be frustrated.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:26 pm

Goku age 15

Saiyan kids are really short.

KuririnNoKotoKa

Post by KuririnNoKotoKa » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:26 pm

The characters aren't aging because Mr. Toriyama doesn't want them to.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:30 pm

They are not asking why they arent aging but rather why we are not angry and whiny about it.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:33 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:They are not asking why they arent aging but rather why we are not angry and whiny about it.
........becuse its really not that high on my list of things to get bent out of shape about and Goku was about their size when he was 15, a full year older then them.

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:33 pm

It's probably not a huge issue for a lot of people because Goten and Trunks barely exist in Super. I'd rather they stop being background characters first before I worry about how old they appear. I don't have much interest in the "Next generation" taking over, but It would be nice if they did more, even if it's just for Gotenks.

And correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure Toriyama is deciding how they appear, not Toei. Remember Goten and Trunks look like children in the manga as well.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:35 pm

Lord Frieza wrote:
Cure Dragon 255 wrote:They are not asking why they arent aging but rather why we are not angry and whiny about it.
........becuse its really not that high on my list of things to get bent out of shape about and Goku was about their size when he was 15, a full year older then them.
Hey dont tell that to me! I AGREE with you!

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:35 pm

I have a feeling they've haven't aged because Toriyama doesn't have any plans for them in significant story lines in Super, and as such, any screen-time they get is limited so Toei feel it would redundant to age them up. Especially since the story is heading into the part of Dragon Ball's original story where they became young adults. But I do have a feeling that after this arc they will get a major growth spurt.

Most people aren't really kicking up a fuss about it because it's kind of a non-issue a this stage. Like I said, neither Goten or Trunks haven't gotten a lot of screen time so them appearing older wouldn't negate the fact that they have been pretty much inconsequential for 99% of Super so far.

HybridSaiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by HybridSaiyan » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:35 pm

The modern DB artstyle makes them appear to look much smaller and younger.
Fingers are crossed in the hopes we get their EOZ appearance after the U7 arc.

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:36 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:
Lord Frieza wrote:
Hey dont tell that to me! I AGREE with you!
But your the once who said "They are not asking why they arent aging but rather why we are not angry and whiny about it" and I'm to lazy to scrole to the top of the page and quote them derectly. :lol:

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:37 pm

Ok as long as you understand I'm on your side and not on the side of the Salt.

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:38 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Ok as long as you understand I'm on your side and not on the side of the Salt.
Beware the Salt Side!!!

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:40 pm

Star Wars Empire theme!

Salt Salt Salt, sa sa salt sa sa SALT!

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:57 pm

Hit!! wrote:This community should be way more infuriated and enraged by this bullshit, but for some reason, no one seems to care.
Well, unlike Goten and Trunks, a lot of us aren't 14.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:06 pm

Saiyans do look 5 years old longer. My issue is more that they still act and talk like 5 year olds.

Goten is in my top 3 so I do hope hes allowed to grow up.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"