If Universe 6 and 7 still make up the VAST majority of eliminations by the end, will they explain why?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

precita
Banned

Re: If Universe 6 and 7 still make up the VAST majority of eliminations by the end, will they explain why?

Post by precita » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:12 pm

Even more ironic when you think U7 would have been even more overpowered if Buu was used. Or even if Trunks/Goten were there instead of Roshi or Tien.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: If Universe 6 and 7 still make up the VAST majority of eliminations by the end, will they explain why?

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:52 pm

Gog wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote: If there is such a thing as a "multiverse lottery", Universe 7 definitely won it. Universe 7 are so not like any other universe competing in the Tournament Of Power, as they are so unintentionally ahead of the curve. And every universe they significant interact with seem to unintentionally benefit, as was the case with Universe 6.
You bring up some great points on the luck of Universe 7. But, I do have to object to that. Universe 7's luck at the end of the day is something that is solely up to the creators to decide, it could just have been easy in the ToP, for I don't know U9 to have incredibly strong dudes who were just found. Maybe, the Trio De Dangers were only picked because Rou wanted to test their mettle. Strong dudes that have gone through the same experiences that Goku and the gang have as well. Universe 7 doesn't have to be the only lucky universe, it was a choice for them to be the lucky universe.

Of course, even then. The GoD's don't exactly interject in matters like Freeza, Cell, Boo. Otherwise Belmod wouldn't even bother with the Pride Troopers and take down the villains they face by himself. Gowasu even makes a point that a Kaioshin shouldn't interact with the matters of the humans. Even the short cuts you mention that U7 has should be readily available for the other universes, just in different forms.
Of course it's up to the creator with regards to how lucky Universe 7 is. I'm just speaking from an in-universe perspective that the main cast of Universe 7 unintentionally became way stronger than they had any right to be.

And I really don't think most of the other universes have the shortcuts that Universe 7. I mean, did you see how the Hakaishin and Kaioshin reacted when Goku turned SSJB against Bergamo in the Zen Exhibition Match(es). They were absolutely shitting themselves in fear and amazement. They couldn't believe that a mortal like Goku could be that strong. Strong enough to rival the Gods. That alone should have been the first major red flag in regards to how the other universes are run. The concept of mortal rivaling a God in power was unknown to most them. The Hakaishin and Kaioshin of the other universes were so not ready for the Tournament Of Power and for guys like Goku to be fighting the best their universe can offer. And it really fucking shows so far with how much Universe 7 and Universe 6, but more-so Universe 7, have dominated this tournament at this current stage.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:25 pm

This reminds me when people thought all 10 Pride Troopers were at Super Saiyan Blue power. :lol:

It appears only Toppo, Jiren and Dyspo are that powerful. Everyone else was probably at Super Saiyan 1 level or less.

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:48 pm

namekiansaiyan wrote:
perucho1990 wrote:
sintzu wrote:
Seeing Vegeta and Piccolo interact with their old selves would've been 10× better than what we have here.

Do you think this is more of a Toei arc than a Toriyama one ? nothing has Toriyama's feel to it. Jerin for example is one of the most boring characters I've seen and I just don't see him coming from Toriyama, especially after coming up with Black and Hit.
Toeis vllains are mostly smug and arrogant, Jiren is clearly Toriyamas idea. Its like he wants to replicate Hits popularity with Jiren by giving him the same silent personality but it falling flat.

It didnt help that Jiren was not able to eliminate Kale.
Jiren could have easily eliminated Kale but for some resson didn't. I wont be surprised if he takes out either Universe 3 or 4 by himself or with a tag team with Toppo.
I half expect him to body several characters later on for the sheer fact that they've gone out of their way to not really use him yet.
perucho1990 wrote:
Zagacious wrote:Now I see why they didn't give other characters meaningful backstories.. they were planning to make everyone fodder even back then except U7, U6 Saiyans, Hit, Toppo, and Jiren... I was honestly expecting to see some more fighters be somewhat close to god level like Ribrianne.. hell even Bergamo was holding his own (not winning, just doing 'okay') against SSB Goku and he was wasted on like episode 3.. no one since then has even had a chance at ringing someone out except U6 and U7. It's starting to feel extremely rushed.

To me it feels like they had all these interesting ideas for characters and then randomly just decided, we're not going to give them any significant power, they're all going to get KO'ed easily.. so we can rush to Goku vs Jiren or whatever other ending fights.

The in-universe explanation is because everyone else from other universes is incredibly weak. Very disappointing but based on writing decisions that's what we have now. Android 17 could effectively solo 50-60 of the fighters on his own based on what we've seen the last couple episodes. The fact that he's probably like 4th or 5th strongest in U7 makes the tournament even more underwhelming in terms of how strong you expect people to be.
That has Toriyama fingerprints all over it, if you go back to the past tournament, he also made most of the fighters complete scrubs. He isnt Oda, Kishimoto, or even Kubo level to make secondary/minor characters becoming relevant to the story.
Don't know why you mentioned Kishi, he has the same problem Toriyama has. Kubo has the opposite problem, dedicating too much time to side and even minor characters that it detracts from it all.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:16 pm

Jigurashi wrote: Don't know why you mentioned Kishi, he has the same problem Toriyama has. Kubo has the opposite problem, dedicating too much time to side and even minor characters that it detracts from it all.
I think thats what the ToP needs, it would serve to make the Universes more relevant aside from 6,7,11 and maybe 2. Imagine Ganos getting more focus or knowing more about Obuni(and maybe getting to see his backstory in a flashback), etc.

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:21 pm

perucho1990 wrote:
Jigurashi wrote: Don't know why you mentioned Kishi, he has the same problem Toriyama has. Kubo has the opposite problem, dedicating too much time to side and even minor characters that it detracts from it all.
I think thats what the ToP needs, it would serve to make the Universes more relevant aside from 6,7,11 and maybe 2. Imagine Ganos getting more focus or knowing more about Obuni(and maybe getting to see his backstory in a flashback), etc.
This tournament seems like it's going to go on for sometime, what you're suggesting could put this at risk of this thing being even far more dragged out than it probably will be. I'm not really sure who could pull this off right.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:24 pm

Jigurashi wrote:
perucho1990 wrote:
This tournament seems like it's going to go on for sometime, what you're suggesting could put this at risk of this thing being even far more dragged out than it probably will be. I'm not really sure who could pull this off right.
I think what would help the tournament here would be a series of short 2-3 minute youtube vignettes on each fighter. It might pad out the arc too long to have that in the show itself but it could work as a supplementary material.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:40 pm

Jigurashi wrote: This tournament seems like it's going to go on for sometime, what you're suggesting could put this at risk of this thing being even far more dragged out than it probably will be. I'm not really sure who could pull this off right.
One of the flaws the ToP has is most Universes being completely irrelevant and just used to job to U6 and U7, with barely knowing anything about their fighters. For the fans it wouldve been good know more about each Universe so we feel very bad when they get eliminated.

The ToP needs more fighters like Obuni IMO, it would also help to get rid of the fake tension, that is the biggest issue this arc has.

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:12 pm

perucho1990 wrote:
Jigurashi wrote: This tournament seems like it's going to go on for sometime, what you're suggesting could put this at risk of this thing being even far more dragged out than it probably will be. I'm not really sure who could pull this off right.
One of the flaws the ToP has is most Universes being completely irrelevant and just used to job to U6 and U7, with barely knowing anything about their fighters. For the fans it wouldve been good know more about each Universe so we feel very bad when they get eliminated.

The ToP needs more fighters like Obuni IMO, it would also help to get rid of the fake tension, that is the biggest issue this arc has.
I completely agree with this. I just don't think there's too many people if anyone at all can actually pull this off.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:33 pm

Jigurashi wrote: I completely agree with this. I just don't think there's too many people if anyone at all can actually pull this off.
With just building up the Universes key players would be enough(Obuni shouldve been a key player), have them eliminate some people instead of being just mostly U6 and U7 doing it.

For example, lets say that Ganos eliminates a Pride Troopers or someone from U10, then he moves to face someone relevant like Cabba(who casually stomped Nigrisshi and that other guy from U10), that way you form unpredictable matchups.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:07 am

FortuneSSJ wrote:It's in times like this that fans show they can't do better.

Didn't he came up with Hit which is basically the same trope of the badass serious and silent opponent?!
You're right, it isn't better than having new characters but it is when the new characters are so uninteresting you begin to question weather or not the arc is from the original author. At least with multiverse you have a connection to its characters. If Toei announced the same type of torunament that multiverse is, everyone who doesn't like it will be the first ones lining up to watch and defend it.

Hit was a badass, everything about him was, this new guy just seems realy boring.
perucho1990 wrote:Its like he wants to replicate Hits popularity with Jiren by giving him the same silent personality but it falling flat.
Jiren seems like a rip off of Hit by someone who didn't get why we liked Hit.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

TysonWine
Beyond Newbie

Post by TysonWine » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:50 am

Great question, and there are ways to do so.

Taken from another thread
TysonWine wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:I think people don't really take into consideration the mortal level of the Universe that that are taking part taking part in the Tournament Of Power. They a below the acceptable standard, meaning that the Kaioshin and Hakaishin don't do a good job of overseeing their universe. The type of fighters that were recruited by the Hakaishin and Kaioshin of the other Universe really reflect why their mortal rating isn't good enough.
This is the way I see it. The universes are below mortal level which means the Gods weren't doing their jobs right. It makes sense that they would be ill-prepared for a tournament that takes place within 48 hours. It's possible that the universes have stronger warriors that their Gods didnt know about. This almost needs to be necessary for Super to continue post tournament by the way.

Let's not forget, the only reason Beerus knows Goku is because of a dream he had. That doesn't happen and who does Beerus pick for U7? As the God of a universe with the second lowest mortal level, Beerus got lucky to have these fighters on his team. He didn't recruit anyone, Goku did. An extremely strong individual is likely to have experienced things and encountered people of similar strength that played a part in helping them reach that level. Beerus had Goku. Clown God had Toppo. Through Goku you get the Z-fighters. Through Toppo you get the Pride Troopers. Every God didn't have a Goku or Toppo on stand by. We know Goku and Toppo are being groomed to be Gods of Destruction. That explains their God level power, and shows that at the very least, U7 and U11 were in some way planning for the future. This little bit of planning put them in a much better position to win a survival battle between universes.
Adding U6 to the theme, they pretty much copied U7's blueprint. Through twin universe knowledge, they were able to recruit the same races, giving them an advantage in the TOP.

This tournament could be treated as a lesson to the Gods. The lesson of trusting mortals. What separates the universes with high mortal levels with the universes with low mortal levels could be how the Gods interact with the mortals of their universe. Look how living amongst the mortals changed Beerus. Earth, the one planet he didn't destroy, is the key to saving the universe.

RedHeat
Regular

Post by RedHeat » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:55 am

sintzu wrote:
FortuneSSJ wrote:It's in times like this that fans show they can't do better.

Didn't he came up with Hit which is basically the same trope of the badass serious and silent opponent?!
You're right, it isn't better than having new characters but it is when the new characters are so uninteresting you begin to question weather or not the arc is from the original author. At least with multiverse you have a connection to its characters. If Toei announced the same type of torunament that multiverse is, everyone who doesn't like it will be the first ones lining up to watch and defend it.

Hit was a badass, everything about him was, this new guy just seems realy boring.
perucho1990 wrote:Its like he wants to replicate Hits popularity with Jiren by giving him the same silent personality but it falling flat.
Jiren seems like a rip off of Hit by someone who didn't get why we liked Hit.
I don't know people comparing him to Hit when the only thing in common they seem to have is a bit of stoic-ness.
Feels over Reals.

KingKaash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KingKaash » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:44 pm

I am honestly surprised that U6 & U7 are getting this much of the eliminations. I understand that the characters in these Universes are well known to us fans so we do want to see them in action but to give them a vast majority of all the eliminations makes the entire ToP rather lopsided. The sad thing is that at this point, I don't see any fighters that can turn the tides and shift the numbers into a more balanced statistic. Sure there's Jiren and Toppo but I'd absolutely hate if Jiren and Toppo just decided "Ok let's start trying now." and then they rampage a lot of the remaining fighters. That's just bad writing and does not get me hyped for Jiren. He should've been fighting consistently throughout the tournament, not being saved until the end. And that's about it. Ribrianne and Ganos could also rack up eliminations but it seems unlikely.
"Gohan, let it go. It is not a sin to fight for the right cause. There are those who words alone will not reach. Cell is such a being. I know how you feel Gohan, you are gentle, you do not like to hurt. I know because I too have learned these feelings. But it is because you cherish life that you must protect it. Please drop your restraints. Protect the life I once loved. You have the strength, my scanners sensed it..." -Android 16

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:47 pm

I guess it proves U7 and U6 are among the strongest universes of these 8 competing. Even of the Pride Trooper universe, it seems only 3 of them are at Super Saiyan Blue level.

TysonWine
Beyond Newbie

Post by TysonWine » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:43 am

KingKaash wrote:I am honestly surprised that U6 & U7 are getting this much of the eliminations. I understand that the characters in these Universes are well known to us fans so we do want to see them in action but to give them a vast majority of all the eliminations makes the entire ToP rather lopsided. The sad thing is that at this point, I don't see any fighters that can turn the tides and shift the numbers into a more balanced statistic. Sure there's Jiren and Toppo but I'd absolutely hate if Jiren and Toppo just decided "Ok let's start trying now." and then they rampage a lot of the remaining fighters. That's just bad writing and does not get me hyped for Jiren. He should've been fighting consistently throughout the tournament, not being saved until the end. And that's about it. Ribrianne and Ganos could also rack up eliminations but it seems unlikely.
This is what I feel will happen. We might see a U6 vs U7 team battle (seem to be the only universes who can challenge each other), and then whatever's left from that will be Jiren's leftovers. Frieza, Vegeta, 17, and Gohan will likely all meet their end by Jiren. I can see Frieza putting up a fight, but the rest will be jobber status.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:15 am

RedHeat wrote:I don't know people comparing him to Hit when the only thing in common they seem to have is a bit of stoic-ness.
Because it seems like that's what they're going for. They know Hit is a fan favorite so they're taking his personality to the extreme with Jerin. His design doesn't help either as it's really plain. We haven't seen much of him so for all I know he'll end up being one of the best characters introduced but so far he seems really boring and uninteresting.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

hardcorefakes
Beyond Newbie

Post by hardcorefakes » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:56 am

sintzu wrote:
RedHeat wrote:I don't know people comparing him to Hit when the only thing in common they seem to have is a bit of stoic-ness.
Because it seems like that's what they're going for. They know Hit is a fan favorite so they're taking his personality to the extreme with Jerin. His design doesn't help either as it's really plain. We haven't seen much of him so for all I know he'll end up being one of the best characters introduced but so far he seems really boring and uninteresting.
Hit's not that interesting of a character. He didn't do anything in the manga, and he's just as bland as in the anime....he has a cool ability, but that's about it.

Jiren's design is better than Hit's, but that's just my opinion. As for personality, well, it's not like Jiren has a long way to go there, because Hit doesn't have much of one in the first place.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:12 am

hardcorefakes wrote:
sintzu wrote:
Hit's not that interesting of a character. He didn't do anything in the manga, and he's just as bland as in the anime....he has a cool ability, but that's about it.

Jiren's design is better than Hit's, but that's just my opinion. As for personality, well, it's not like Jiren has a long way to go there, because Hit doesn't have much of one in the first place.
Hit definitely has a personality. I'm not sure why youd say that, weve seen many aspects of it IMO.

I wont comment on the manga cause IMO its just a trainwreck all over.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"