So are Fusions for the main heroes done? No new Fusions ever again?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

precita
Banned

So are Fusions for the main heroes done? No new Fusions ever again?

Post by precita » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:43 pm

One thing I notice about Super as opposed to the games or Heroes, is we don't get any new fusions. We briefly got Super Saiyan Blue Vegito for merch purposes but he's still just a powered up form of an old Fusion.

Gotenks also barely appears since Trunks/Goten are hardly in Super, and then we even had Kaioshin and Kibito de-fuse. Unlike Heroes and the videogames which have tons of new non-canon fusions, I notice Super doesn't have anything of the sort. Would you say Fusions are becoming a thing of the past in canon? I kinda hope we get to see Vegito at least one more time in Super at some point, but other than that I don't expect to see fusions ever again at least from the protagonists.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Re: So are Fusions for the main heroes done? No new Fusions ever again?

Post by Chuquita » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:17 pm

My guesses:

-they potentially break the game. They're too strong.

-having a fusion on screen means two individually popular characters are off-screen. The fusion might be popular on their own, but dwarfed in popularity compared to the characters that get pushed off-screen when the fusion is on screen.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Zagacious
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zagacious » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:27 pm

I think it's kind of clear they've decided they don't want fusions based on the way they nerfed the Portara earrings so harshly. I think it's safe to assume the fusion dance is probably nerfed too. I thought it was an interesting idea ever since we saw Namekians fuse.

If they don't want the fusions to seem overpowered they could easily write it that way, give it some downside that isn't completely debilitating like the 'more power = less duration" nerf introduced in the Black Goku arc. Maybe make them noticeable slower when fused, but keep the power boost. Introduce enemies that can fuse and give a justification for bringing back Gotenks, Vegito, etc. They could introduce any weakness to make fusions not overpowered but for whatever reason they don't seem to want them around. For the first time we saw an enemy fuse (Black Goku / Zamasu) and it made them a lot weaker.

At the very least I hope they bring back Gotenks fusion.. a way to include Goten and Trunks back into Super without giving them huge unexplained powerboosts to make them relevant again would be to use the fusion. Maybe have Goten and Trunks 'master' the fusion dance since that is the primary way they have fought their entire lives. They become so skilled at the fusion that they can make it last longer and contain more power than if two other people fused, and potentially in the future hold SSB Gotenks form longer than Vegito/Gogeta SSB would hold.
Last edited by Zagacious on Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:34 pm

I think it's just because everyone is afraid of going a little bit wild for a change. If power is what might prevent some characters from fusing, then fuse weaker ones. Vegenks would also be nice to see in the anime (or the manga, for what's worth).
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

MaskedRider
Banned

Post by MaskedRider » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:39 pm

I think maybe its because there has been no situation to need a fusion. Even then its not like it was ruled out, Trunks and Goten use Gotenks in attempt to fight Beerus and we also see them do it again for Freeza while Goku and Vegeta fuse into Vegetto for Zamasu. I mean, individuality is nice because personal growth feels good but its not like they ruled out fusing completely in order to TRY to stop someone.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:53 pm

So far, there is no rules for using the fusion dance in the Tournament of Power. Maybe they could do SSj Blue Gogeta vs. Jiren before we see Goku's new form.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:42 am

The humans would greatly benefit from fusion. Imagine a Potara fused Krillin/Tenshinhan combination or Roshi/Tenshinhan. I think it could temporarily put them ahead of the Super Saiyans, maybe Super Saiyan 2 if the boost is generous enough. Just because fusion is undesired by the big names doesn't mean it couldn't prove highly useful for some of the less powerful fighters.

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:59 am

I hope so. Becoming more powerful rendering potara fusion an inviable option was a great change. Fusion being an option is like watching Goku "struggle" in base form: no tension because he's clearly not serious. If they're not fusing when they could, then that means the stakes aren't high enough.

Plus they cheapen individual accomplishment, which is one of the aspects of DB I enjoy most.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:08 am

Fusion was just a shitty gimmick to make more money ever since it debuted in the Buu arc, as much as I like Vegetto it is for the better it is done away with and I think the Trunks arc in DBS was basically that, saying that fusion is a dud (well for non Kaioshin).

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:09 pm

There aren't very many characters in Dragon Ball that are particularly interested in Fusion, and it's not the type of plot element Akira Toriyama likes to use very much either.

SonReggie
Beyond Newbie

Post by SonReggie » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:24 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:So far, there is no rules for using the fusion dance in the Tournament of Power. Maybe they could do SSj Blue Gogeta vs. Jiren before we see Goku's new form.
Can't help but feel it'd be a bad move in the ToP. One tiny mistake/false move and two fighters gone for the price of one.

gofishus
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gofishus » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:13 pm

I think its interesting to note that no Fusion character has ever really successfully defeated a villain. Gotenks got himself absorbed, and Vegito neither defeated Super Buu nor Zamasu.

The exception is Gogeta defeating Janemba but... yes that wasn't part of the main story

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:48 pm

Namekian fusion isn't out of the picture. I sincerely hope it happens.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:53 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Fusion was just a shitty gimmick to make more money ever since it debuted in the Buu arc, as much as I like Vegetto it is for the better it is done away with and I think the Trunks arc in DBS was basically that, saying that fusion is a dud (well for non Kaioshin).
And also Gotenks being the weakest Z fighter ever, the DBS show telling us even Roshi is stronger than Gotenks..

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:54 pm

precita wrote:One thing I notice about Super as opposed to the games or Heroes, is we don't get any new fusions. We briefly got Super Saiyan Blue Vegito for merch purposes but he's still just a powered up form of an old Fusion.

Gotenks also barely appears since Trunks/Goten are hardly in Super, and then we even had Kaioshin and Kibito de-fuse. Unlike Heroes and the videogames which have tons of new non-canon fusions, I notice Super doesn't have anything of the sort. Would you say Fusions are becoming a thing of the past in canon? I kinda hope we get to see Vegito at least one more time in Super at some point, but other than that I don't expect to see fusions ever again at least from the protagonists.
Super isn't Transformers. Vegetto Blue didn't come into being just so they can sell merchandise. He came into being because Merged Zamasu was a fused being himself and it makes sense for the story for Vegeta and Goku to fused at that moment. And Merged Zamasu is a new fusion.
perucho1990 wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Fusion was just a shitty gimmick to make more money ever since it debuted in the Buu arc, as much as I like Vegetto it is for the better it is done away with and I think the Trunks arc in DBS was basically that, saying that fusion is a dud (well for non Kaioshin).
And also Gotenks being the weakest Z fighter ever, the DBS show telling us even Roshi is stronger than Gotenks..
No, the Super writers are telling and have directly told us that Roshi is smarter than Gotenks, which is something anyone who watched the original Dragon Ball would know.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:51 pm

Apart from small showings, I think they're pretty much done. We'll probably get Vegetto or Gogeta for an episode later down the line but nothing like the Buu arc where fusion was a main plot point that lasted for multiple episode.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:58 pm

It's funny how fusion is deemed unusable and antiquated by the Saiyans yet it could still pose as a gold mine for the humans to become at least semi-usable again. I mean what was stopping Krillin and Tenshinhan from fusing via the Potara (assuming they had a pair of earrings)? Now that we know a time limit exists for non-deities, it would be perfect in compensating for the chasm that's been festering over the decades between them and the Saiyans. Yeah, I don't think it would put them over the god transformations, but reaching SSJ2/3 tier doesn't sound unreasonable.

Tenshillin fighting SSJ2 Caulifla sounds like an appealing prospect to me.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:10 am

Lionel wrote:It's funny how fusion is deemed unusable and antiquated by the Saiyans yet it could still pose as a gold mine for the humans to become at least semi-usable again. I mean what was stopping Krillin and Tenshinhan from fusing via the Potara (assuming they had a pair of earrings)? Now that we know a time limit exists for non-deities, it would be perfect in compensating for the chasm that's been festering over the decades between them and the Saiyans. Yeah, I don't think it would put them over the god transformations, but reaching SSJ2/3 tier doesn't sound unreasonable.

Tenshillin fighting SSJ2 Caulifla sounds like an appealing prospect to me.
Have Tien even seen the Fusion Dance and why would the Kais give the humans their earrings? And what is Super Saiyan 2 or 3 tier? Buu Saga Super Saiyan 2 Goku?
Last edited by HeroR on Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kanassa wrote:
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:27 am

I think he observed Goten and Trunks use it against Beerus. The dance wouldn't be practical in this situation as Tenshinhan and Krillin are too different in stature for it to work. Potara is more effective in every way. I don't see why Kaioshin or Elder Kaioshin would have any reason to object to making a vastly stronger fighter out of them since the earrings are easily producible. Under such dire circumstances, any power increase shouldn't be refused.

No, I had present SSJ2/3 in mind. Ideally, the boost would amplify their collective powers substantially. But it's also possible that a scenario like the one in Kibitokai might pan out with the characters receiving an unremarkable increase in power; this was with two fighters of largely disparate power amounts merging together, though.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:12 am

Lionel wrote:I think he observed Goten and Trunks use it against Beerus. The dance wouldn't be practical in this situation as Tenshinhan and Krillin are too different in stature for it to work. Potara is more effective in every way. I don't see why Kaioshin or Elder Kaioshin would have any reason to object to making a vastly stronger fighter out of them since the earrings are easily producible. Under such dire circumstances, any power increase shouldn't be refused.

No, I had present SSJ2/3 in mind. Ideally, the boost would amplify their collective powers substantially. But it's also possible that a scenario like the one in Kibitokai might pan out with the characters receiving an unremarkable increase in power; this was with two fighters of largely disparate power amounts merging together, though.
I don't think he saw it in either the movie or retelling. Goten and Trunks were kind of off to the side.

Potara is more effective, but they're also items used by the gods like the Time Rings. Goku and Vegeta only got to used them under extremely rare conditions. One, all life in the universe was in danger and the second, stopping a half-immortal god who wanted to wipe all life across the multiverse. This isn't just something they give away, especially when the fusion in question would still be fodder. The Elder Kai didn't even like Kibito-Kai do anything, despite him being stronger than any fusion between two humans. And, when was it ever said the earring were easily producible?

And present Super Saiyan 2 and 3? Guess it is possible, but Vegetto was also extremely strong because of the rivalry between Goku and Vegeta.
Kanassa wrote: