Does anyone actually care about the characters getting erased?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Does anyone actually care about the characters getting erased?

Post by Boo Machine » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:29 am

SsjCookie wrote:
Boo Machine wrote:
SsjCookie wrote:What i find so vexing is that U7 was supposed to be the second weakest universe of the whole tournament.
I was expecting some seriously badass characters from the other universes....but......Mr Robotnik?.....a Teletubby? A Rosswell alien on steroids?!
Such a shame, I find myself wishing they followed the DB Multiverse comic instead, soooo much better.
To be fair, they never said second weakest. They just said second lowest ranking. They never specifically stated the ranking went by power levels.
Isn't that technically the same?
Or maybe earth is just the only powerhouse in the U7 universe since every fighter (except Frieza) comes from earth.
As far as we know the fighters from the other universes all come from different planets.
No, not really. The Great Priest explains how they rank each universe by the average level of their inhabited worlds. The quality of mortal life. It's based off how good the Kaioshin and the Gods of destruction do their job. That's why Shin and Beerus start blaming each other for being neglectful when they find out their ranking. ( Beerus sleeps too much and Shin takes a hands off approach)

It's never clear if power is a factor or not, but it's never said that power alone determines the rank.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:53 am

Characters gone forever that will never come back?This series is based on a deus ex machina which fixes everything whether it be villain's horrendous acts or heroes stupidity.
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

Saturnine

Post by Saturnine » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:06 am

Nobody cares, because everyone expects them to be brought back with a wish from the Super DBs when this is over.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:03 am

I'm still holding out hope Super Shenron says "Sorry Goku...I'm afraid I cant let you do that"
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

SsjCookie
Beyond Newbie

Post by SsjCookie » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:58 am

Saturnine wrote:Nobody cares, because everyone expects them to be brought back with a wish from the Super DBs when this is over.
And THERE you have the core of the problem of this arc.

In the Zamasu arc there was much more a sense of urgency and desperation because they couldn't afford to fail (which they did by the way, a surprisingly brave move)

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:35 am

There is no way the Super DB's are that powerful, that they can bring seven erased universes, one itself is a stretch but seven? Can't see it. Plus don't you need god lingo to make a wish?

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:56 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:There is no way the Super DB's are that powerful, that they can bring seven erased universes, one itself is a stretch but seven? Can't see it. Plus don't you need god lingo to make a wish?
Isn't that the point of the Super Dragon Balls. The wish is probably going to be bring back all universes that have been destroyed instead of the universes destroyed during the tournament.

omaro34

Post by omaro34 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:11 am

Xeogran wrote:
Doctor. wrote:The only characters who can legitimately be killed off are Freeza (obviously) and Beerus (unlikely).
What? Freeza obviously?

It's his time to shine. There's no reason for him to die anymore. He overcame his weakness in the Hell's cocoon and came back stronger than ever.

You're acting like Toei is planning another Goku vs Freeza good vs evil fight for no reason. No, Freeza's role in the series has changed.
I think he's referring to who's present during the 28th Budokai after this ten year period that Super is in. Virtually everyone is except Freeza and Beerus. Unless they change whatever happens after this ten year period or they change the ending in general, which they haven't revealed anything regarding that.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

Kanious
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kanious » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:38 pm

I care especially for the U6. I like the U6 saiyans, to me they have more emotional value than Gohan will ever have, and i will be really pissed off if they get eliminated forever.

DBS is unpredictable and i don't discard that all the universes [except for U7] will be erased without return.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:43 pm

I care for Universe 6. It's a surprisingly interesting Universe since it contains most of the races which in Universe 7 were already wiped out. I want to learn more about some specific races so yeah, I do care about characters and Universe 6 being erased.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Asura

Post by Asura » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:38 pm

I never came into this tournament expecting to care about any other universes except U7, U6, and U11. These are the characters I care about getting erased. The rest? Whatever. They should have more characters like Obuni where it makes you feel bad for the other universes but not so much that you care about them getting erased.

TheOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheOne » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:46 pm

namekiansaiyan wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:There is no way the Super DB's are that powerful, that they can bring seven erased universes, one itself is a stretch but seven? Can't see it. Plus don't you need god lingo to make a wish?
Isn't that the point of the Super Dragon Balls. The wish is probably going to be bring back all universes that have been destroyed instead of the universes destroyed during the tournament.
I find it hard to believe that PLANET size Dragon Balls wouldn't be able to restore universes when the smaller dragon balls can bring back the life of an entire planet.

The only dilemma I could see is the dragon saying it can't undo something that Zeno erased personally. Which would lead to them restoring all the lost universes with life in U7.
How i predict the tournament will end:

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:05 pm

TheOne wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote:
I find it hard to believe that PLANET size Dragon Balls wouldn't be able to restore universes when the smaller dragon balls can bring back the life of an entire planet.

The only dilemma I could see is the dragon saying it can't undo something that Zeno erased personally. Which would lead to them restoring all the lost universes with life in U7.
Yes but that takes one wish of the normal DBs, even if the Super DBs could, restoring 7 universes is a still a tall order and hell it probably function like the normal DBs where you can't wish all 7 at the same time so even if they could only potentially 1 universe would only be brought back.

MagmonKai
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MagmonKai » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:30 pm

I'm hoping and praying they don't go this route. I mean EVERYONE is expecting this to happen, but would really make me happy is if they don't go the usual route.

hardcorefakes
Beyond Newbie

Post by hardcorefakes » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:47 pm

I only cared about U10, and that was only because of Gowasu.

Don't give the slightest f*ck about the other universes though. :yawn:

Especially 6. I'm actually looking forward to their deaths really. Can't stand any of their characters.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:27 pm

hardcorefakes wrote:
Especially 6. I'm actually looking forward to their deaths really. Can't stand any of their characters.
Really? You don't like a single character from Universe 6?

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:33 pm

Uh...Nope.

hardcorefakes
Beyond Newbie

Post by hardcorefakes » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:00 am

precita wrote:
hardcorefakes wrote:
Really? You don't like a single character from Universe 6?
Nope.

The closest to "liking" any characters from U6 for me is Champa and Magetta. And that's only because I think Champa's funny, and I like Magetta's design. But I don't really "care" for those two. Wouldn't care if they were erased.

The rest are absolutely dreadful. In either design or personality (or both, as is the case with the U6 Saiyans).

KingKaash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KingKaash » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:27 am

The only characters I'll miss if they get erased are Cabba, Caulifla, Kale, Hit and Toppo. Because like the OP said, there's no backstory to the rest where I'd get attached like I have to these characters I've listed.

Though I do wonder what kind of backstory would've given us a greater feeling of attachment towards some of the other Universes characters? We love Cabba, Caulifla and Kale primarily because they are Saiyans who are developing. Hit was the Champa arc on his own basically. And Toppo is the heir to being the next God of Destruction in Universe 11 so his allure is high. For other Universes, what could they show us in each episode? Would you want episodes similar to Dyspo and Kahseral beating Aragney where the Universe team members beat up a weak obstacle? Do you want to see Nigrisshi modify his warriors? Do you want to see Ribrianne and the Fireball Kamikaze have a beauty contest to decide if they go in?

Basically what I'm trying to say is it's hard to come up with new backup material without it becoming stale or without it flopping. So many of us were clamoring for the ToP to get here. Can you imagine if they gave us weak episodes that didn't really do anything to build the other Unvierses characters up before the ToP? I think the writers were just hoping that these characters would get their shine with the viewers in the ToP itself. But that is not working
"Gohan, let it go. It is not a sin to fight for the right cause. There are those who words alone will not reach. Cell is such a being. I know how you feel Gohan, you are gentle, you do not like to hurt. I know because I too have learned these feelings. But it is because you cherish life that you must protect it. Please drop your restraints. Protect the life I once loved. You have the strength, my scanners sensed it..." -Android 16

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:47 am

SsjCookie wrote:
Saturnine wrote:Nobody cares, because everyone expects them to be brought back with a wish from the Super DBs when this is over.
And THERE you have the core of the problem of this arc.

In the Zamasu arc there was much more a sense of urgency and desperation because they couldn't afford to fail (which they did by the way, a surprisingly brave move)
Even the Zamasu arc had this problem with the Zeno button. It was just a matter of time until Goku would use it. And when they had Future Bulma die on-screen and revealed the Super Dragon Balls were gone, I was certain the Future Timeline was done for and Zeno would clean up the loose ends. I predicted he'd either somehow merge the split timelines together or he'd erase the timeline and the survivors would move to the present. They still had Whis and Trunks hit the reset button by stopping that future entirely.

Dragon Ball isn't the sort of show where they let mass killings go unaddressed or uncorrected. When was the last time anyone in the present who wasn't evil died and stayed dead? King Kai? And he volunteered to stay that way to show Goku around Otherworld.