show do not tell. db super writers need to understand that

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

gohan_black
Beyond Newbie

show do not tell. db super writers need to understand that

Post by gohan_black » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:17 am

sick of the over talking. for every 2 seconds of fighting you have to sit trough 5 min of standing and talking to each other

The_Destroyer
Regular

Re: show do not tell. db super writers need to understand that

Post by The_Destroyer » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:20 am

But at the same time they need to tell MORE. They bring in shit like SSRage and SSG back and give zero explanation on it.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:23 am

gohan_black wrote:sick of the over talking. for every 2 seconds of fighting you have to sit trough 5 min of standing and talking to each other
That's essential because they can't make an episode full of action.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:26 am

I see that more as positive. At least, they care to explain how the techniques work in a simple way, rather than convoluted.

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:29 am

Didn't work for the Trunks Mafuba scene...
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:41 am

Draconic wrote:Didn't work for the Trunks Mafuba scene...
Trunks arc was a disaster near the end due to not having proper explanations, what they are doing right now is the best course of action
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:44 am

Atleast they don't talk about useless crap, and usually fun things. Dialogue from Beerus, Whis, Champa etc. brings something interesting to the table most of the time.

Now take a look at the Cell Saga and each time the fights were interrupted for Mr. Satan and his filler-ish goons stealing the screentime talking about how everyone's using tricks @_@

Luckily Mr. Satan became a much better character later on.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:47 am

I think Dragon Ball Super benefits from taking its time in certain scenarios to set the stage for the circumstances of a battle or events that may happen so that its progression can be more logical and we can be more invested in its outcome.
I never saw what the issue was with that. The difficulty in that technique was always presented to be aiming the content into the container and not actually learning the technique itself.

TysonWine
Beyond Newbie

Post by TysonWine » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:52 am

I actually don't mind an explanation for what I'm seeing when things cross into the super natural. Goku using regular SSJ to save stamina doesn't need an explanation, because getting tired is a real world experience that we can expect to happen. However, super natural elements that can't be applied to the real world such as Hit's Time Skip need to be explained, because visually it appears that he's literally stopping time, and we know that's not the case. Visually, we can tell that Dyspo was using his ears, but dialogue made the scene that much better, because we learned that his ears are so good, he hears the twitch in Hit's muscles.

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:57 am

Lord Beerus wrote:
I never saw what the issue was with that. The difficulty in that technique was always presented to be aiming the content into the container and not actually learning the technique itself.
The thing is, the whole scene plays out with Trunks struggling to get it right. The wave is going haywire and he has Mai there to hold the jar and move it in case he screws up. But just because Zamasu ends up in the jar, everybody says he mastered it in 5 minutes, even though everything that's on screen (SHOW, don't tell) points to otherwise.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:22 pm

Draconic wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
The thing is, the whole scene plays out with Trunks struggling to get it right. The wave is going haywire and he has Mai there to hold the jar and move it in case he screws up. But just because Zamasu ends up in the jar, everybody says he mastered it in 5 minutes, even though everything that's on screen (SHOW, don't tell) points to otherwise.
I guarantee you if Mai wasn't there to position the container, Future Trunks would have majorly fucked up with the Mafuba. Future Trunks was just fortunate someone was there to help him.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:53 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
Draconic wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
I guarantee you if Mai wasn't there to position the container, Future Trunks would have majorly fucked up with the Mafuba. Future Trunks was just fortunate someone was there to help him.
Can't believe people have problem with that scene. Piccolo explaining it through a tutorial was funny, and Trunks being the one to seal Zamasu was epic and the scene showed very well that Trunks was struggling with the aim, and if it weren't for Mai he would have probably failed.
It's also incredible how people always complain Goku hogs the spotlight yet complain everytime someone other than him accomplishes something.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:36 pm

What are you talking about? The show practically specializes in only showing and hardly telling anyone anything that it's become a common complaint. If you think Super explains TOO much, Then you'd be the first I've seen.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

Basako
Advanced Regular

Post by Basako » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:45 pm

They show and they tell, there is a balance, I think last episode was fine. It's not like Naruto, that one is quite annoying, at least for me.
Heno heno kappa!

gohan_black
Beyond Newbie

Post by gohan_black » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:34 pm

The_Destroyer wrote:But at the same time they need to tell MORE. They bring in shit like SSRage and SSG back and give zero explanation on it.
I'm talking about dypso and hit conversation and champa reactions

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:37 pm

gohan_black wrote:sick of the over talking. for every 2 seconds of fighting you have to sit trough 5 min of standing and talking to each other
Are you talking about Super or DBZ?!
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

gohan_black
Beyond Newbie

Post by gohan_black » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:53 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:
talk about db super more specificly the dyspo vs hit fight. 10 min were only talking between them and reactions from champa and beerus

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:02 pm

The_Destroyer wrote:But at the same time they need to tell MORE. They bring in shit like SSRage and SSG back and give zero explanation on it.
Super Saiyan god coming back doesn't need an explanation cause it never left.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:06 pm

gohan_black wrote:
FortuneSSJ wrote:
talk about db super more specificly the dyspo vs hit fight. 10 min were only talking between them and reactions from champa and beerus
Ahh I pine for those days but if this is the modern reaction to even the bare exposition that we get in Super it's no wonder why we have a product seemingly made for those with ADHD.

The_Destroyer
Regular

Post by The_Destroyer » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:08 pm

Miracles wrote:
Super Saiyan god coming back doesn't need an explanation cause it never left.
Considering how it was left unused for 3 consecutive arcs I'd say it did leave.

Not to mention we were lead to believe that it was a timed transformation inly accessible by the ritual, and that he absorbed its power.