show do not tell. db super writers need to understand that

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Sonicjamareiz
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: show do not tell. db super writers need to understand that

Post by Sonicjamareiz » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:11 pm

It cannot get any worse then hxh overly explaining every step the characters make to the point that it takes the tension away(Ant) thats why [spoiler]Hisoka and Gon is the best fight imo[/spoiler]
Purple Cum Monster Vegeta arc :sick:

Zagacious
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zagacious » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:17 pm

I'm pretty sure they know, it's blatantly obvious when they do it now to cram as little content as possible into an already short 18 min episode. A lot of people didn't seem to notice it because they were excited about Hit, even though his battle with Dypso was definitely good, there was an egregious amount of standing around not doing anything. I swear if you cut out all the moments of nothing happening and showing Goku and Jiren just walking around or people staring at each other, you'd have half or less as many episodes of the Tournament then you do now. I know they're trying to save money, but compare the beginning of the Tournament to now, and it definitely feels like they just said 'F*** it" to the Battle Royale idea 3 episodes in and just started having everyone do 1v1 and 2v2. Same goes for the interesting characters which 90% of the characters that looked like they'd be interesting and maybe a challenge just ended up becoming fodder.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:30 pm

The_Destroyer wrote:Considering how it was left unused for 3 consecutive arcs I'd say it did leave.
Not to mention we were lead to believe that it was a timed transformation inly accessible by the ritual, and that he absorbed its power.
All beliefs should of been thrown away in RoF; Goku and Vegeta tapped into god powers and Blue was stated to be the "super saiyan form of super saiyan god [red]."

Master Xar
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Master Xar » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:33 pm

Dude... it's the other way around, they need to tell more rather than how much of showing they are doing, hopefully this gets through to them someday, but for now it just feels like they need to put more investment into explanations and back stories. The amount of unanswered questions and mysteries in Dragonball is actually pretty astounding.

The_Destroyer
Regular

Post by The_Destroyer » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:42 pm

Miracles wrote:
The_Destroyer wrote:Considering how it was left unused for 3 consecutive arcs I'd say it did leave.
Not to mention we were lead to believe that it was a timed transformation inly accessible by the ritual, and that he absorbed its power.
All beliefs should of been thrown away in RoF; Goku and Vegeta tapped into god powers and Blue was stated to be the "super saiyan form of super saiyan god [red]."
Yet ssj = ssg in BoG? For 3 arcs the show implied that they couldn't use ssg anymore. Then suddenly it shows up out of nowhere with zero explanation. Toyotoro had the deceny to explain ssg's return, so why can't Toei?

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:58 pm

The fanbase isn't smart enough for them to do that, as seen by how much misinformation goes around when they don't explain fights

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:07 pm

Sometimes its more like they want the fans to understand by themselves whats is going on. Like for example when Trunks 2 shotted Merged Zamasus body, in his Genkidama mode he was the strongest non fused character in DBS, and easily Hakaishin level, the fact he could do a move similar to the Genkidama couldve been Ikaris trumpcard.

Sonicjamareiz
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Sonicjamareiz » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:37 pm

The_Destroyer wrote:
Miracles wrote:
Yet ssj = ssg in BoG? For 3 arcs the show implied that they couldn't use ssg anymore. Then suddenly it shows up out of nowhere with zero explanation. Toyotoro had the deceny to explain ssg's return, so why can't Toei?
It was never stated they couldn't use ssg the writers decided not to use it until now. :thumbup:
Purple Cum Monster Vegeta arc :sick:

The_Destroyer
Regular

Post by The_Destroyer » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:48 pm

Sonicjamareiz wrote:
The_Destroyer wrote:
Miracles wrote: All beliefs should of been thrown away in RoF; Goku and Vegeta tapped into god powers and Blue was stated to be the "super saiyan form of super saiyan god [red]."
It was never stated they couldn't use ssg the writers decided not to use it until now. :thumbup:
Without a proper explanation unlike the Manga

Boo Machine

Post by Boo Machine » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:53 pm

The_Destroyer wrote: Without a proper explanation unlike the Manga
At this point, what other explanation would even be good enough? Unless you're just looking for literally anything I can't imagine a scenario where Goku says, "i just learned to tap into it with Whis" or something to be a worth while explanation. But maybe I can't think of one because I just can't view an explanation even mattering all that much.

From where I see it, a "how" or a "why" wouldn't fill in any gaps. It would just be some neat info at best.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

The_Destroyer
Regular

Post by The_Destroyer » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:59 pm

Boo Machine wrote:
At this point, what other explanation would even be good enough? Unless you're just looking for literally anything I can't imagine a scenario where Goku says, "i just learned to tap into it with Whis" or something to be a worth while explanation. But maybe I can't think of one because I just can't view an explanation even mattering all that much.

From where I see it, a "how" or a "why" wouldn't fill in any gaps. It would just be some neat info at best.
Without a proper explanation I just consider it an asspull. All it would have taken is one line.

RichardKing2
Beyond Newbie

Post by RichardKing2 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:00 pm

Any type of quick explanation would be better than the ass pulls that keep being pulled left and right from this terribly written show

Boo Machine

Post by Boo Machine » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:02 pm

The_Destroyer wrote:
Boo Machine wrote:

Without a proper explanation I just consider it an asspull. All it would have taken is one line.
An asspull would be pulling out a new form that has special powers because reasons. Like SSJ rage. We have seen God before and know where it stands in the ladder of multiple forms and know how he got it.

One line of what though? One line of anything? Because If a line is all it takes then it can't even be that complicated.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:38 pm

The_Destroyer wrote:Yet ssj = ssg in BoG? For 3 arcs the show implied that they couldn't use ssg anymore. Then suddenly it shows up out of nowhere with zero explanation. Toyotoro had the deceny to explain ssg's return, so why can't Toei?
When did the manga explain SSG's "return?"
And absorbing god powers does not mean SSJ=SSJG. That too was never stated.
All these assumptions are the fans problems not the story.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:20 pm

Boo Machine wrote:

Here's the thing. They aren't they aren't even trying at all.
They don't feel you or I as an audience are worth even the barest attempts at planning, creativity, or basic story telling.

They are writing Super as if they know that the fanbase will continue to return no matter how bad or how little effort they put into it. I literally don't care what the reason is, I'm just much more insulted that they continually show that they don't feel they even have to try and can skate by arc after arc on the Dragonball name alone. That's the infuriating part, we all deserve better than what we got.

Makai
Beyond Newbie

Post by Makai » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:31 pm

I hate how they brought SSG back with literally no explanation, but kept cutting away to explain the Hit vs Dyspo fight, when it was quite obvious what was going on/didn't really need to be explained.

The_Destroyer
Regular

Post by The_Destroyer » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:36 pm

Miracles wrote:
The_Destroyer wrote:Yet ssj = ssg in BoG? For 3 arcs the show implied that they couldn't use ssg anymore. Then suddenly it shows up out of nowhere with zero explanation. Toyotoro had the deceny to explain ssg's return, so why can't Toei?
When did the manga explain SSG's "return?"
And absorbing god powers does not mean SSJ=SSJG. That too was never stated.
All these assumptions are the fans problems not the story.
Was it not stated by Beerus that Goku had absorbed SSG's power? They even showed us that ssj1 goku = ssg goku at that point. Goku said he felt no different and was fighting Beerus as good as he was before.
Boo Machine wrote:
The_Destroyer wrote:
Boo Machine wrote:

An asspull would be pulling out a new form that has special powers because reasons. Like SSJ rage. We have seen God before and know where it stands in the ladder of multiple forms and know how he got it.

One line of what though? One line of anything? Because If a line is all it takes then it can't even be that complicated.
Okay, let's just give Goku Ozzaru again and give the viewer zero explanation. I mean he could use the form before right? The viewer can piece it together.

Like you said, Whis could have mentioned that he learned to access it again through training or whatever, but they didn't even do that. Wouldn't make it less of an asspull but it'd be far better. This show simply doesn't care.

Boo Machine

Post by Boo Machine » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:42 pm

TheMikado wrote: Here's the thing. They aren't they aren't even trying at all.
They don't feel you or I as an audience are worth even the barest attempts at planning, creativity, or basic story telling.

They are writing Super as if they know that the fanbase will continue to return no matter how bad or how little effort they put into it. I literally don't care what the reason is, I'm just much more insulted that they continually show that they don't feel they even have to try and can skate by arc after arc on the Dragonball name alone. That's the infuriating part, we all deserve better than what we got.
Trying with what? An explanation? Because if so, then yeah. Trying to give us an explanation would mean we got some throw away line. I'm perfectly aware of that, I'm not some crazy person who is hearing words that aren't being said, as far as you're aware of. They don't explain everything but if you're saying they explain nothing ever That's not true. This entire last episode was basically one giant exposition of how Hit and Dyspos fight works. If they weren't trying they would have just had Dyspo knock around Hit a bit then have Hit turn it around because reasons.

But if you're saying they aren't trying with anything at all, then that's also false. If the fanbase is returning then there is some merit to it that other people see. No one would bother to watch a show they absolutely hated just because it has the name of a franchise they like. That would be insane. Which is why the whole "I'm dropping super" comment has become a tiny meme. It's said so often but it's rarely followed up on.

I don't deny Toei drops the ball quite a bit. But On the case of SSJ god, I stand by that it doesn't need an explanation. I don't feel the How or why would make much difference. I'm more concerned about whether it continues to play an active role or not or if it's just here for this episode to remind us that it exists. Which would be stupid and annoying.
The_Destroyer wrote:
Okay, let's just give Goku Ozzaru again and give the viewer zero explanation. I mean he could use the form before right? The viewer can piece it together.

Like you said, Whis could have mentioned that he learned to access it again through training or whatever, but they didn't even do that. Wouldn't make it less of an asspull but it'd be far better. This show simply doesn't care.
Sure, Why not. Give him a tail again and put him under the moon and you're good to go. Of course the viewer can piece it together. Don't see an issue there.

But that's my point. If such a throw away line like "He trained for it" is good enough then I just can't see it as important. You would just have a lame explanation and people would still be angry. What difference would "he trained for it" make?
Makai wrote:I hate how they brought SSG back with literally no explanation, but kept cutting away to explain the Hit vs Dyspo fight, when it was quite obvious what was going on/didn't really need to be explained.
You could tell that Dyspo was using his ears to listen to Hit specific movements because Hit tenses up whenever he uses the time skip, and Dyspo would use his ability to move thousands of times faster to get to him before he did, and that Hit would turn it around by making his muscles make certain noises to fool Dyspos hearing just by looking?

Dude you're eyes must be god like.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

The_Destroyer
Regular

Post by The_Destroyer » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:15 pm

Boo Machine wrote:
TheMikado wrote: Here's the thing. They aren't they aren't even trying at all.

Trying with what? An explanation? Because if so, then yeah. Trying to give us an explanation would mean we got some throw away line. I'm perfectly aware of that, I'm not some crazy person who is hearing words that aren't being said, as far as you're aware of. They don't explain everything but if you're saying they explain nothing ever That's not true. This entire last episode was basically one giant exposition of how Hit and Dyspos fight works. If they weren't trying they would have just had Dyspo knock around Hit a bit then have Hit turn it around because reasons.

But if you're saying they aren't trying with anything at all, then that's also false. If the fanbase is returning then there is some merit to it that other people see. No one would bother to watch a show they absolutely hated just because it has the name of a franchise they like. That would be insane. Which is why the whole "I'm dropping super" comment has become a tiny meme. It's said so often but it's rarely followed up on.

I don't deny Toei drops the ball quite a bit. But On the case of SSJ god, I stand by that it doesn't need an explanation. I don't feel the How or why would make much difference. I'm more concerned about whether it continues to play an active role or not or if it's just here for this episode to remind us that it exists. Which would be stupid and annoying.
The_Destroyer wrote:

Sure, Why not. Give him a tail again and put him under the moon and you're good to go. Of course the viewer can piece it together. Don't see an issue there.

But that's my point. If such a throw away line like "He trained for it" is good enough then I just can't see it as important. You would just have a lame explanation and people would still be angry. What difference would "he trained for it" make?
Makai wrote:I hate how they brought SSG back with literally no explanation, but kept cutting away to explain the Hit vs Dyspo fight, when it was quite obvious what was going on/didn't really need to be explained.
You could tell that Dyspo was using his ears to listen to Hit specific movements because Hit tenses up whenever he uses the time skip, and Dyspo would use his ability to move thousands of times faster to get to him before he did, and that Hit would turn it around by making his muscles make certain noises to fool Dyspos hearing just by looking?

Dude you're eyes must be god like.
But without the moon and tail. It's almost exactly the same as using ssg without the ritual.

A line is important, because we still don't know why he can acess the form. They show us that he can use SSG, but I'm asking how? He didn't use the ritual, so how?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:22 pm

gohan_black wrote:sick of the over talking. for every 2 seconds of fighting you have to sit trough 5 min of standing and talking to each other
The writers don't have full control. The series director doesn't have full control. They're pawns of shitty corporate overlords who believe there is a specific way to handle their hugely popular property.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf