People are getting tired of Goku and here is why

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Michsi
I Live Here

Re: People are getting tired of Goku and here is why

Post by Michsi » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:34 pm

Xeogran wrote:
Michsi wrote:OPM is based on a gag, meaning that everything (build-up, personal drama, tension, etc.) is pointless because of Saitama always wins.
It's not pointless when majority of the characters in-universe aren't personally aware of Saitama's strength. It's not like they call him to auto-win.
That's the "commentary" part. I mean, it's self-aware of the genre it's commenting on. And it doesn't matter what the in-universe characters think. You, as the viewer, already know how things will go, so their angst/drama/seriousness often comes of as ridiculous. I suppose that's the point.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:21 pm

Michsi wrote:
Xeogran wrote:
Michsi wrote:OPM is based on a gag, meaning that everything (build-up, personal drama, tension, etc.) is pointless because of Saitama always wins.
It's not pointless when majority of the characters in-universe aren't personally aware of Saitama's strength. It's not like they call him to auto-win.
That's the "commentary" part. I mean, it's self-aware of the genre it's commenting on. And it doesn't matter what the in-universe characters think. You, as the viewer, already know how things will go, so their angst/drama/seriousness often comes of as ridiculous. I suppose that's the point.
Saitama can't save everyone's personal issues though. There are plenty of plot points in OPM that don't involve power or destroying a monster. It's not as gaggy as you may think.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:29 pm

I think you're getting lost in the example. How does this all relate to the main point?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:01 pm

Xeogran wrote:
Michsi wrote:
Xeogran wrote:

Saitama can't save everyone's personal issues though. There are plenty of plot points in OPM that don't involve power or destroying a monster. It's not as gaggy as you may think.
I admit I'm not up-to-date with the manga, just what the anime covered. But I do remember the scene where Genos speaks about his "tragic past" and both the trope and the seriousness that accompanies it is what's being made fun of.
So basically all those personal issues you're referring to are just there to make a point of how despite going through character development, self discovery, etc, it all still boils down to the MC - that's how I saw it.

So to bring this back to the main topic- Goku is the MC so he will always get the lion's share of the focus pie. He's got everything on his side, power, popularity, symbol status, a VA that's pretty much considered a legend in the industry.
The vast majority are not tired of him.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:08 pm

TBMx wrote:
Boo Machine wrote:
You don't see how Goku would or wouldn't act in a hypothetical you created (Super Goku in Z namek Saga) can be up for debate?
I don't. Because the Goku caricature's reaction to hearing that 7 universes were going to be erased as a result of this tournament was to smile and say "I just have to win!" You can't take that character and then made a decent argument that he'd care about the fall of planet Vegeta, or anything prince Vegeta had to say there.
Way to take things out of context, Goku's initial reaction was of shock and then to speak to Zen-Oh but when he got told no he shouldn't then he says he has to win this.

But hey that doesn't fit your agenda does it? Have to spin it as something else, don't you?

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:13 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
TBMx wrote:
Boo Machine wrote:
You don't see how Goku would or wouldn't act in a hypothetical you created (Super Goku in Z namek Saga) can be up for debate?
I don't. Because the Goku caricature's reaction to hearing that 7 universes were going to be erased as a result of this tournament was to smile and say "I just have to win!" You can't take that character and then made a decent argument that he'd care about the fall of planet Vegeta, or anything prince Vegeta had to say there.
Way to take things out of context, Goku's initial reaction was of shock and then to speak to Zen-Oh but when he got told no he shouldn't then he says he has to win this.

But hey that doesn't fit your agenda does it? Have to spin it as something else, don't you?
Also, Goku doesn't care about the Saiyans. In both the dub and dub, Goku more or less agreed that the Saiyans were assholes who deserved to be wiped out when Freeza brought up the Saiyans being murderers.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:25 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
TBMx wrote:
Boo Machine wrote:

Well it is the popular thing to hate on Goku whether it's justified or not. Real talk though, this saga I legit don't see much wrong with his character and really the biggest problem with his character this saga applies to most characters, it of course only Goku is given shit for apparently not caring even though most don't seem to give a shit.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:26 pm

It's not a superhero show, and I don't know why people hold it against him that he puts imaginary people we often never see in danger for the sake of a fight.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:53 pm

ABED wrote:It's not a superhero show, and I don't know why people hold it against him that he puts imaginary people we often never see in danger for the sake of a fight.
I'm more shocked that people thinks Goku's cares about his race when he has almost no positive experience with them until he met Cabba. And Vegeta was a bastard on Namek, so why would care about Vegeta's feelings?
Kanassa wrote:
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:11 pm

Jigurashi wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
TBMx wrote:

Well it is the popular thing to hate on Goku whether it's justified or not. Real talk though, this saga I legit don't see much wrong with his character and really the biggest problem with his character this saga applies to most characters, it of course only Goku is given shit for apparently not caring even though most don't seem to give a shit.
Right, if people are gonna give Goku crap then it should be consistent and the same for everyone else. In fact I'd argue Goku has shown more for the situation then anyone else. Honestly when something doesn't fit people's agenda for something it is like the mentally block it out. How everyone is now, is how one should expect.
ABED wrote:It's not a superhero show, and I don't know why people hold it against him that he puts imaginary people we often never see in danger for the sake of a fight.
This also, we saw Goku care when Roshi was about die and that was understandable, but a bunch of people that apparently exist in the 9th universe? Goku should totally be crying and *not* concentrating on the fact to make sure it doesn't happen to his universe. I don't get why some people are angry Goku cares more for his universe then some random.

I think this superhero nonesense stems from people who still believe and watch the old Z dub to be the gospel, the fact the Z Fighters unanimously agree'd not to stop Gero when they had the chance after Trunks warned them, pretty much shows that they aren't heroes out to save everybody.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:12 pm

I think he cares about Vegeta as a warrior.

NintendoBlaze53
Regular

Post by NintendoBlaze53 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:19 pm

TBMx wrote:
Boo Machine wrote:
He sure did seem to care about Zamasu killing his family. Goku's thing with consequences is he doesn't realize what's taking place until after it happens. After Vegeta dies, after Kuririn dies, after Cell goes into his bomb mode, after Buu ends up wiping out the Earth, after Freeza blew up the Earth, after Zamasu reveals he killed Goku's family. In EVERY event Goku only gets serious in a battle after someone dies, he can't see what his actions are doing until the result has already been done. This arc is becoming the same as it's always been, Goku has yet to realize the stakes at hand here, and after someone dies THEN is when he will get serious. That's how it's always been. Until that event Goku is fighting purely for the sake of having fun.
"You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want." -Ging Freecss

If you care about opinionated/critical analysis and reviews of anime, manga and gaming products, feel free to check out my website. https://otakustance.wordpress.com/

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:07 pm

Goku is the main protagonist and he should be entitled to the lion's share of screen time, but he doesn't need to be meshed into virtually episode of the tournament. Has any other member of Team Universe 7 received a minimal cameo appearance or greater in all of the episodes? The two eliminated members were seemingly treated as minimalistic afterthoughts with not much substance offered to them. How can the first thorough fight of the tournament against the Trio de Dangers and Universe 9 provide more content than what two whole members of the main team received throughout the whole event? From my personal point of view, the five characters whom Krillin and Tenshinhan encountered satisfy only the bare minimum of choreographic engagements, and most of it beyond Shosa and Majora wasn't so much what we might call a "proper" fight as it was one of the two earthlings discharging a powerful Ki blast or staging a suicidal run.

The quality of content being offered to some of these characters arguably doesn't amount to the beginning appetisers some time back. Should we be satisfied with what Krillin and Tenshinhan collectively received and consider the studio's efforts to be a good job?
Last edited by Lionel on Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:05 pm

HeroR wrote:I'm more shocked that people thinks Goku's cares about his race when he has almost no positive experience with them until he met Cabba. And Vegeta was a bastard on Namek, so why would care about Vegeta's feelings?
Well he did care for Vegeta back in the Boo arc when they fought and he didn't used SSJ3 on him.
Last edited by Noah on Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:57 pm

NintendoBlaze53 wrote:
TBMx wrote:
Boo Machine wrote:
He sure did seem to care about Zamasu killing his family. Goku's thing with consequences is he doesn't realize what's taking place until after it happens. After Vegeta dies, after Kuririn dies, after Cell goes into his bomb mode, after Buu ends up wiping out the Earth, after Freeza blew up the Earth, after Zamasu reveals he killed Goku's family. In EVERY event Goku only gets serious in a battle after someone dies, he can't see what his actions are doing until the result has already been done. This arc is becoming the same as it's always been, Goku has yet to realize the stakes at hand here, and after someone dies THEN is when he will get serious. That's how it's always been. Until that event Goku is fighting purely for the sake of having fun.
He saw two universes be erased. He knows the stakes and death isn't even allowed.
Kanassa wrote:

NintendoBlaze53
Regular

Post by NintendoBlaze53 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:30 am

HeroR wrote:
NintendoBlaze53 wrote:
TBMx wrote:
He saw two universes be erased. He knows the stakes and death isn't even allowed.
Did Goku see them getting erased? I don't think we've seen any reaction shots of him unless I missed it. And Goku's trigger point is usually personal, he knew Zamasu was bad due to how ruined Trunks future was, but it was hearing what happened to Chi-Chi and Goten that pushed him over the edge.

And just cause death isn't allowed doesn't meant it won't happen, I could see someone who was the last member of their universe killing a U7 member cause they know they're done for and want to make sure U7 doesn't win, we've already seen how strong the hatred for U7 is, if you're going to die anyway you'd at least try to make sure your enemy doesn't win.
"You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want." -Ging Freecss

If you care about opinionated/critical analysis and reviews of anime, manga and gaming products, feel free to check out my website. https://otakustance.wordpress.com/

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:43 am

NintendoBlaze53 wrote:Did Goku see them getting erased? I don't think we've seen any reaction shots of him unless I missed it.
4~ minutes into episode 99 he reacts to it with Vegeta. He also repeatedly demonstrated he understood the stakes in the recruitment episodes.

What he hasn't done is have a breakdown over it yet. For some reason, some people think you don't understand the stakes unless you're crying about it.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:09 am

NintendoBlaze53 wrote:[
Did Goku see them getting erased? I don't think we've seen any reaction shots of him unless I missed it. And Goku's trigger point is usually personal, he knew Zamasu was bad due to how ruined Trunks future was, but it was hearing what happened to Chi-Chi and Goten that pushed him over the edge.

And just cause death isn't allowed doesn't meant it won't happen, I could see someone who was the last member of their universe killing a U7 member cause they know they're done for and want to make sure U7 doesn't win, we've already seen how strong the hatred for U7 is, if you're going to die anyway you'd at least try to make sure your enemy doesn't win.
Yes he did. Everyone saw and felt U9 disappear. We even saw Goku's reaction to it.
Kanassa wrote:

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:49 pm

HeroR wrote:
NintendoBlaze53 wrote:[

Yes he did. Everyone saw and felt U9 disappear. We even saw Goku's reaction to it.
Indeed. He gave the Grand Priest a 'You little motherfu-' look, while the Grand Priest's face was a trolling 'problem?' look.

TekTheNinja
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TekTheNinja » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:28 am

Another example people don't mention that often: in Fullmetal Alchemist, Edward basically disappears entirely for several episodes. Despite Ed being perhaps my favorite fictional character in general, I loved this bit.

Point is that most great series have at least ONE episode without the main character.