People are getting tired of Goku and here is why

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Vegeta-Sama
Not-So-Newbie

Re: People are getting tired of Goku and here is why

Post by Vegeta-Sama » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:20 am

The thing is Goku had more than enough screentime in the recruitment Episodes, he was fighting everyone of U7 except Vegeta.
Did we really needed 2 Episodes of Goku and 17 vs Space Pirates instead focusing on other universe characters?

Obuni is the perfect example:
Great character, good design, honorable fighter.
Why not build him properly to make U10s Goodbye more impactful instead we got every damn Episode Goku, Goku and more Goku.

This could be the best Arc of all time and I still think its great so far but as I said before if we had less Goku and the other Universe got more development we would more care.

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:52 am

Vegeta-Sama wrote:The thing is Goku had more than enough screentime in the recruitment Episodes, he was fighting everyone of U7 except Vegeta.
Did we really needed 2 Episodes of Goku and 17 vs Space Pirates instead focusing on other universe characters?

Obuni is the perfect example:
Great character, good design, honorable fighter.
Why not build him properly to make U10s Goodbye more impactful instead we got every damn Episode Goku, Goku and more Goku.

This could be the best Arc of all time and I still think its great so far but as I said before if we had less Goku and the other Universe got more development we would more care.
I agree with point of this post, but mentioning Goku as the only one apparently preventing someone like Obuni from getting more screen time makes no sense when there's others just as responsible for doing stuff like that.

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:12 am

I'd rather have Goku appear in every episode than see Vegeta go, "Kakarotto, I will defeat you and win this tournament! I am Vegeta-sama! Damn you! Screw teamwork! Arghhhh!!!"

That's literally all he's been for 90% of this arc. He's boring, annoying, useless, and uninteresting. I do want to see some Freeza action soon, though.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:26 am

MajinMan wrote:I'd rather have Goku appear in every episode than see Vegeta go, "Kakarotto, I will defeat you and win this tournament! I am Vegeta-sama! Damn you! Screw teamwork! Arghhhh!!!"

That's literally all he's been for 90% of this arc. He's boring, annoying, useless, and uninteresting. I do want to see some Freeza action soon, though.
The best Vegeta episodes are when he gets beat up and gets extremely frustrated.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:30 am

namekiansaiyan wrote:The best Vegeta episodes are when he gets beat up and gets extremely frustrated.
Nothing tops him telling the batman wannabe to get his green sorry behind out of the ring during Champa's tournament :lol: .
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:37 am

sintzu wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote:The best Vegeta episodes are when he gets beat up and gets extremely frustrated.
Nothing tops him telling the batman wannabe to get his green sorry behind out of the ring during Champa's tournament :lol: .
He just wanted to see Vegeta get all cocky by beating Frost, Magetta and Cabba so his beatdown from Hit will be even more satisfying. :twisted:

Vegeta just wishes he could have as much style as Piccolo has.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:04 am

MajinMan wrote:I'd rather have Goku appear in every episode than see Vegeta go, "Kakarotto, I will defeat you and win this tournament! I am Vegeta-sama! Damn you! Screw teamwork! Arghhhh!!!"

I believe the new director isn't much of a Vegeta fan. Before this arc Vegeta was being treated as a protagonist along with Goku, but now it doesn't seem to be the case anymore.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:21 am

emperior wrote:I believe the new director isn't much of a Vegeta fan. Before this arc Vegeta was being treated as a protagonist along with Goku, but now it doesn't seem to be the case anymore.
So he's one of those "just a fan of the main character" directors ? great :yawn: .

At this point it looks like the manga is where Vegeta fans can expect him to get major screen time.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:27 am

sintzu wrote:
emperior wrote:I believe the new director isn't much of a Vegeta fan. Before this arc Vegeta was being treated as a protagonist along with Goku, but now it doesn't seem to be the case anymore.
So he's one of those "just a fan of the main character" directors ? great :yawn: .

At this point it looks like the manga is where Vegeta fans can expect him to get major screen time.
Well darn it, Goku fans get the anime, Vegeta fans get the manga.
Guess it's fanart for the rest of us....

SsjCookie
Beyond Newbie

Post by SsjCookie » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:28 am

sintzu wrote:
TBMx wrote:How boring would it be if Goku landed on Namek early with a powerlevel of 180,000 and just owned everybody until the Ginyu fight. Because that's what this is.
That'd be OK if he wasn't taking part in the final fight but not only will that happen but he's also getting a new form. the over focus on him now doesn't make sense cause he's going to get plenty of screen time at the end and during the events leading up to it.
UNLESS.....they are setting him up for an epic fail.
Now THAT would really be an original plot twist. :twisted: ....He loses, everyone dies! :lol:

The end.

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:40 am

SsjCookie wrote:
sintzu wrote:
TBMx wrote:How boring would it be if Goku landed on Namek early with a powerlevel of 180,000 and just owned everybody until the Ginyu fight. Because that's what this is.
That'd be OK if he wasn't taking part in the final fight but not only will that happen but he's also getting a new form. the over focus on him now doesn't make sense cause he's going to get plenty of screen time at the end and during the events leading up to it.
UNLESS.....they are setting him up for an epic fail.
Now THAT would really be an original plot twist. :twisted: ....He loses, everyone dies! :lol:

The end.
This is Super, I fully expect him to lose lol. It'd be a bigger twist if he won in the end tbh. Wouldn't mind either outcome.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:46 am

Michsi wrote:Goku fans get the anime, Vegeta fans get the manga.
Guess it's fanart for the rest of us....
Pretty much. None Goku and Vegeta fans have been left in the dust since BOG.

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:55 am

Goku fans get Dragon Ball.

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:17 am

Simere wrote:Goku fans get Dragon Ball.
Pretty much lol.

Totamo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Totamo » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:21 am

sintzu wrote:
emperior wrote:What's the problem with Goku being always there? It wasn't that different in Dragon Ball.
Goku was very likable in DB and when Toriyama expanded the cast in Z, it's only natural for people to expect the same thing in its sequel, not going backwards to just Goku again.
Totamo wrote:None of that amounted to anything and those arcs started or ended because of Goku.
Which is why I said Goku was very much the main characters in Z, his presence was always felt but never forced.

When Goku showed up in Z it was exciting cause we weren't with him 24/7, it gave his screen time more weight. half of what made his fight with Cell so epic was the fact that he hadn't fought anyone since #19.
LowRyder2005 wrote:For all his screentime his development as a character is also virtually non-existent nowadays (Super's nature of midquel is partly to blame).

I would've loved Goku donning a slightly more mature, mentor-like persona, with Gohan, Goten and Trunks handling the regular foes and Goku and Vegeta being the "main men" whenever shit got serious.
That's because his (and everyone else') development ended in the manga, most of what we're seeing now is going over old ground again.

Look what they did to Hit, why did Goku have to take part in that ? why not let him finish those 2 on his own ? He had the Beerus wannabe under control so surely he could've handled that other thing. That's probably what will happen when other characters get their fights, it'll be Goku and Freeza against Frost, Goku and Vegeta aginst whoever he fight, Goku and Piccolo against the Namaeins, etc.
Actually, it did feel force because Goku was removed from the story and was only used as a plot device.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:53 am

I remember when I first watched DBZ. All I cared about was Goku arriving and getting screen time. Fast forward to GT and Super, and I realized that the only reason I constantly wanted to see Goku was because he was rarely present in the battlefield, and when he was, you knew shit was about to get real. It was awesome. This also applied to most of the original Toei movies. Less is more, as they say.

Super only presents us with a caricature of the character, and he seldom receives any development, so seeing him hog the spotlight is very annoying cause this presentation of the character just isn't very good to begin with. I'm more interested in Gohan, Vegeta, Frieza, Android 17, Hit, or even Piccolo doing something.

Remember this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmW4dB7BaBg

It's the moment Goku realized his obsession with fighting strong guys and spared a villain at the expense of the world's well-being. Despite this, he acknowledges how selfish he is being. It's a powerful scene that gave the character proper development by having him embrace part of what makes him a saiyan. The show does not treat this as a joke; the scene is taken very seriously. This scene here, everything that occurs in it, has literally become the biggest running joke in Super, which is infuriating.
Last edited by fadeddreams5 on Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:02 pm

Totamo wrote: Actually, it did feel force because Goku was removed from the story and was only used as a plot device.
Yes, this is in particular from the Android arc onward, the whole convoluted way Toriyama went to take Goku out, the heart virus, and wrote Goku like the absolute stupidest he ever had "I won't take the medicine right now as there is nothing wrong with me" WTF Goku. Goku got written out in the Saiyan and Namek out quite naturally but after it definitely felt forced, and the Buu arc Goku was a literal plot device for anything his behaviour in that arc was unbelievable he'd go from 0-100 quickly, for example he was pro-Fusion for the majority arc and then decides "nah fusion isn't for me" and then a few seconds later starts saying "Oh we should have beat you as Vegetto" and I am there pulling my hair out.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:15 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Totamo wrote: Actually, it did feel force because Goku was removed from the story and was only used as a plot device.
Yes, this is in particular from the Android arc onward, the whole convoluted way Toriyama went to take Goku out, the heart virus, and wrote Goku like the absolute stupidest he ever had "I won't take the medicine right now as there is nothing wrong with me" WTF Goku. Goku got written out in the Saiyan and Namek out quite naturally but after it definitely felt forced, and the Buu arc Goku was a literal plot device for anything his behaviour in that arc was unbelievable he'd go from 0-100 quickly, for example he was pro-Fusion for the majority arc and then decides "nah fusion isn't for me" and then a few seconds later starts saying "Oh we should have beat you as Vegetto" and I am there pulling my hair out.
Another reason why this series should've been put down like the Third Reich after Namek
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:23 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Yes, this is in particular from the Android arc onward, the whole convoluted way Toriyama went to take Goku out, the heart virus, and wrote Goku like the absolute stupidest he ever had "I won't take the medicine right now as there is nothing wrong with me" WTF Goku. Goku got written out in the Saiyan and Namek out quite naturally but after it definitely felt forced, and the Buu arc Goku was a literal plot device for anything his behaviour in that arc was unbelievable he'd go from 0-100 quickly, for example he was pro-Fusion for the majority arc and then decides "nah fusion isn't for me" and then a few seconds later starts saying "Oh we should have beat you as Vegetto" and I am there pulling my hair out.
I agree, it felt forced from the Android Arc onward, because fans still wanted to see Goku in action, and he hadnt gotten stale yet. By the time Gt came out, Goku turned stale as hell, and made things worse when they turned him into a kid and they had him do almost everything himself(See Shadow Dragon Saga).

DBS Goku is very underrated, Toei isnt writing him to do everything in this arc, he hasnt being soloing every person he has facing). In the latest episode he rescued Hit from the Pride Troopers, defeated Kunshee, thats all he did, the spotlight was mostly on Hit, who trounced Dyspo after improving and later eliminated Kunshee.

If it was GT, Goku wouldve eliminated the Pride Troopers, making Kale, Caulifla and Hit worthless characters.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:30 pm

emperior wrote:I believe the new director isn't much of a Vegeta fan.
Quite the assumption there.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017