The False Hype of ToP

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: The False Hype of ToP

Post by Hawk9211 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:46 am

I don't have much problems because it was expected most of fighters are going to be fodder.My only problem is back from dbz that is too much focus on saiyans
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:02 am

Michsi wrote:It's a common enough problem with serialized shows, and it's become even more apparent with the emergence of large online fan-communities that discuss and build expectations en mass. Fans pick apart any new plot point/concept and start coming up with their own theories and ideas as to how the story will or should progress. Now this can be fun for the most part, but I've seen a particular show suffer a bit because of this; fan ideas/theories were more interesting than what the show ended up delivering so the story was considered underwhelming.

It's a challenging time to be a writer, you need to stay one step ahead of your fan base. Or at least make sure the payoff corresponds with the hype.
You have to be careful about trying to stay one step ahead of your viewers as well. I've seen some shows suffer because the writers were trying too hard to trick their savvy fans and stay ahead of expectations that they fail to tell an interesting or coherent story and have stupid twists just for the sake of subversion.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:11 am

BlueBasilisk wrote: You have to be careful about trying to stay one step ahead of your viewers as well. I've seen some shows suffer because the writers were trying too hard to trick their savvy fans and stay ahead of expectations that they fail to tell an interesting or coherent story and have stupid twists just for the sake of subversion.

True, true."Lost" comes to mind. This is where creator's talent comes into play.
I always believed the execution of ideas is what makes or breaks a show. You can be as predictable as you like, just know how to present it.

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:20 am

I don't mind most of what OP mentioned because it's expected, but I really dislike characters standing around doing absolutely nothing. Much of Gohan's crew did this and the Saiyan girls have apparently been standing around for several episodes now since their main episodes ended. It's annoying.

The reused animation doesn't bother me as much anymore, I understand their rationale.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:59 am

Teamwork has been vital in several situations in the tournament so far. Whether it's eliminating characters, as shown with the Krillin/Roshi, Android 18/Krillin and Tien/Roshi tag team attacks eliminating some fighters, the tandem of Botamo and Magetta working to together to cancelling out their weaknesses in battle, Hit using his Time-Skip to save Caulifla from being eliminated during Kale's SSJ Berserk rampage, or even in Universe 2 when Vikal aided Sanka Ku from being eliminated and propelled her back into combat against Android 17 and Jimeze using Instant Transmission to get Brianne and Su into a more safe location in the ring. In a tournament where it's not just about eliminating people, but also making sure that your universe has the most amount of fighters left, teamwork has been very much still a core concept of the Tournament Of Power and still remains to be as shown with the more recent episode of Dyspo getting saved by another Pride Trooper from being eliminated by Hit. I honestly can't believe that people think that tournament hasn't displayed at all in a effective manner. Yeah, sometimes teamwork doesn't pan out out. As seen with the Trio De Dangers and some of the Pride Troopers. But for most of the tournament, teamwork been very effective in thinning out the numbers of opponent and keeping the teammates of the respective universes still in the battle. So I don't understand his complaint at all. And quite frankly, it reeks of not paying close enough attention.

Also, if you put so much stock in a 30 second preview of the next episode, the quite frankly you are deliberately setting yourself up to be disappointed. It's a preview. It's not indicative of how the whole episode will pan out. It's like getting mad at a trailer for a movie or TV show for not including the best bits.

Another thing to add is that the tournament is still going on. And there are still several fighter who we haven't even seen, let alone throw a punch. No offence to the OP, but I think it's more of a case of people not paying better attention to watching the show and also having their exceptions far too foo high.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:05 pm

omaro34 wrote:Much of Gohan's crew did this and the Saiyan girls have apparently been standing around for several episodes now since their main episodes ended. It's annoying.
Kale and Caulifla just fought in 101 after getting a second wind against the Pride Troopers. In terms of time passing that's been...maybe 5 minutes of tournament time, give or take?

Goku seems like he's constantly fighting without getting tired since he's poking his nose in every episode, but even he has periods where he's standing around not doing anything.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:35 pm

omaro34 wrote:I don't mind most of what OP mentioned because it's expected, but I really dislike characters standing around doing absolutely nothing. Much of Gohan's crew did this and the Saiyan girls have apparently been standing around for several episodes now since their main episodes ended. It's annoying.

The reused animation doesn't bother me as much anymore, I understand their rationale.
Those werent their main episodes, those were episodes were just used for Kales development, their main episode will be one of the episodes Toshio wrote(could be episode 109).

As for the main topic goes, Its more like Toei didnt know how to handle a battle royal. Battle Royal seems to be Toriyamas idea tbh.

The false hype mostly comes from people who were expecting this tournament to be like YYH Dark Tournament, when Toriyama in his pride couldnt hold a candle to Togashi, and now that he is out of touch he is worse than the likes of Kubo. The ToP Arc shouldve happened next year because by then Toyotaro would be a more competent Mangaka that wouldnt need Toriyama to help him.

jplaya2023
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by jplaya2023 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:44 pm

I'm not going to lie, I honestly would've rather seen 1 on 1 matches bracket style like they do in multiverse. That's better

JulianStyles
Banned

Post by JulianStyles » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:55 pm

I regret reporting the topic that discussed What was all the Krillin hype for. That topic needs to be adressed seperately.

Asura

Post by Asura » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:24 pm

precita wrote:This isn't false hype, it's just that a lot of people have unreasonable expectations for this tournament. A lot of people also made up fanfiction in their minds as to how they wanted the tournament to go, and then when the eps air and something different happens they act all bothered.
Nothing else even needs to be said. The only false hype was the hype that people generated themselves. There are definitely things to be disappointed about, but the majority of people's expectations seem to be above and beyond what is normal and they have no one to blame for that except themselves.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:54 pm

Teamwork & strategy have been vital as we seen after the awful display of team work in ep 97-98 the show started doing well with these since 99 which was a high point of the saga & ep 102-104 show strategy with #17 & hit & currently the pride trooper are competent people with good teamwork,this guy alone embodied teamwork perfectly
      Compare him to kahseral,the pride troopers & u9,you will noticed something,he was formidable, the heroes didn't hold back against him & he is not a buffoon
        I'm mixed with the Top if you look at my post but saying there no teamwork is blasphemous
        Mostly active on discord.

omaro34

Post by omaro34 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:00 pm

BlueBasilisk wrote:
        omaro34 wrote:Much of Gohan's crew did this and the Saiyan girls have apparently been standing around for several episodes now since their main episodes ended. It's annoying.
        Kale and Caulifla just fought in 101 after getting a second wind against the Pride Troopers. In terms of time passing that's been...maybe 5 minutes of tournament time, give or take?

Goku seems like he's constantly fighting without getting tired since he's poking his nose in every episode, but even he has periods where he's standing around not doing anything.
        A weekly show for 20 minutes each episode does make it seem like Kale and Caulifla fought a while ago though. But you're right that's 5 mins real time in the show, which is insanity. This goes beyond Namek arc levels.
        "Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

Zagacious
        Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zagacious » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:26 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Teamwork has been vital in several situations in the tournament so far. Whether it's eliminating characters, as shown with the Krillin/Roshi, Android 18/Krillin and Tien/Roshi tag team attacks eliminating some fighters, the tandem of Botamo and Magetta working to together to cancelling out their weaknesses in battle, Hit using his Time-Skip to save Caulifla from being eliminated during Kale's SSJ Berserk rampage, or even in Universe 2 when Vikal aided Sanka Ku from being eliminated and propelled her back into combat against Android 17 and Jimeze using Instant Transmission to get Brianne and Su into a more safe location in the ring. In a tournament where it's not just about eliminating people, ... And quite frankly, it reeks of not paying close enough attention.
        I think you're entirely missing the point, and this post wasn't entirely just about teamwork, but it's definitely lacking in what should be a battle royale. There is teamwork going on, but most of it has no consequence. The people who it should actually benefit to use teamwork, aren't using teamwork, and the displays of teamwork are ultimately useless. Most people that you mentioned were eliminated after 5 min of action. Krillin used teamwork for a second, but he was eliminated immediately after. Botamo and Magetta were using teamwork for a second, but then just disappeared, we didn't even get to see Vegeta finish the fight. Vikal saved Sanku but was eliminated immediately after because they decided to make Android 17 stronger than entire U2 for whatever reason. Anyone who teams up only does it long enough to show 'teamwork rules' only to split up anyways and get easily eliminated.

There are many instances where it would be obvious to use teamwork, but no one did:
        1. U6 Saiyans are easily defeating Pride Troopers, why doesn't Dyspo, Toppo, or Jiren interefere? Oh we find out they were doing more important things like just standing around.
        2. The sheer number of people trying to go after Goku solo, after it's likely word of his power has spread from the exhibition matches
        3. We would get to see the Z Fighters using teamwork, but it ultimately doesn't matter cause anyone of significant power is just ignoring them anyways.
        4. U9 used great teamwork, but what's the point of they're going to pit them against Goku and Vegeta right away.
        5. No one is going after the weaker U7 fighters, it seems apparent that Goku and Vegeta won't even interfere, but it's like everyone has a death wish just going solo after Goku, Hit, or 17

I could think of more but it's pretty obvious you've already made up your mind before you even read my post with your dismissive 'not paying attention' bs as well as greatly exaggerating the minor bits of teamwork we've seen.
        If anything that reeks of the writers rushing through the tournament as fast as possible when they are eliminating people so easily and letting Hit Toppo and Jiren run around unchallenged. and the pride troopers don't even care if their own fighters are being eliminated, in fact no one seems to care it's like they already know U7 is going to win.

Lord Beerus wrote: Also, if you put so much stock in a 30 second preview of the next episode, the quite frankly you are deliberately setting yourself up to be disappointed. It's a preview. It's not indicative of how the whole episode will pan out. It's like getting mad at a trailer for a movie or TV show for not including the best bits.
        Again your own assumptions about what I expected, you clearly didn't even read what I said about the previews. There is no point to show Jiren in the NEP constantly when he's not going to do anything, that is indeed false hype, there's nothing more to read into it except "Jiren is there" except he's not. They did the same thing with Ribrianne and then she's only fighting for probably 1 min of the entire episode. I'm not expecting the episode to be exactly like what the preview shows, but what's the point of the preview if it almost has nothing to do with the actual episode?
        Lord Beerus wrote: Another thing to add is that the tournament is still going on. And there are still several fighter who we haven't even seen, let alone throw a punch. No offence to the OP, but I think it's more of a case of people not paying better attention to watching the show and also having their exceptions far too foo high.
        Everyone who could have been significant has been turned to fodder so the writers can rush to the big fights. The few people who left are guaranteed to follow the path of stupidity of the previous fighters and go to fight someone solo who they have no chance against like Goku or Hit.

Zagacious
        Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zagacious » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:35 pm

The gr wrote:Teamwork & strategy have been vital as we seen after the awful display of team work in ep 97-98 the show started doing well with these since 99 which was a high point of the saga & ep 102-104 show strategy with #17 & hit & currently the pride trooper are competent people with good teamwork,this guy alone embodied teamwork perfectly
            Compare him to kahseral,the pride troopers & u9,you will noticed something,he was formidable, the heroes didn't hold back against him & he is not a buffoon
              I'm mixed with the Top if you look at my post but saying there no teamwork is blasphemous
              This definitely agrees with my point that teamwork ultimately has no consequence in this tournament. What's the point of showing characters using teamwork if they're too weak to even scratch their opponent? I never said there isn't teamwork, but the teamwork shown ultimately doesn't matter because they made people way too weak.

The gr
              I Live Here

Post by The gr » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:41 pm

Zagacious wrote: This definitely agrees with my point that teamwork ultimately has no consequence in this tournament. What's the point of showing characters using teamwork if they're too weak to even scratch their opponent? I never said there isn't teamwork, but the teamwork shown ultimately doesn't matter because they made people way too weak.
              Ep 104 show how dangerous teamwork is,hit would have been a goner if Goku didn't stepped in,it just suck u9 & the rest of pride trooper didn't received this treatment

Zagacious
              Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zagacious » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:44 pm

The gr wrote:
              Zagacious wrote: This definitely agrees with my point that teamwork ultimately has no consequence in this tournament. What's the point of showing characters using teamwork if they're too weak to even scratch their opponent? I never said there isn't teamwork, but the teamwork shown ultimately doesn't matter because they made people way too weak.
              Ep 104 show how dangerous teamwork is,hit would have been a goner if Goku didn't stepped in,it just suck u9 & the rest of pride trooper didn't received this treatment
              No.. watch it again. Hit was barely even breaking a sweat while Dyspo and the other guy were going all out. That was just shown to hype up Goku's "I'm SSG now" that was shown in the preview which also ultimately didn't mean anything but hopefully it does in later episodes. Hit could have taken both of those guys easily, Goku being there was extreme overkill. Notice how easily Hit takes them on even when Goku isn't doing anything. Another instance where teamwork was used but had no consequence.

The gr
              I Live Here

Post by The gr » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:04 pm

Zagacious wrote:
              No.. watch it again. Hit was barely even breaking a sweat while Dyspo and the other guy were going all out. That was just shown to hype up Goku's "I'm SSG now" that was shown in the preview which also ultimately didn't mean anything but hopefully it does in later episodes. Hit could have taken both of those guys easily, Goku being there was extreme overkill. Notice how easily Hit takes them on even when Goku isn't doing anything. Another instance where teamwork was used but had no consequence.
              no he couldn't keep up with Dyspo speed & with Kunshi trapping him with the wires at the same time,watch the episode hit was struggling with those two,with out goku hit couldn't have confused Dyspo, Kunshi will just trap him every time he hits dyspo sure they could have done a better job displaying but is certainly better than what we got previously
              Last edited by The gr on Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:39 pm, edited 4 times in total.

MKCSTEALTH
              OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:12 pm

This tournament is something Dragonball has never done before. We've never seen an 80 person free for all. And so far it's met my expectations:

-Characters outside from the main cast getting spotlight
              -Teamwork scattered throughout (nearly each episode with few exceptions)
              -A viable risk in destruction

That last point to me is the weakest because we obviously know U7 is going to be fine.

My whole thing with this arc has been that this is called the Universe Survival Arc, no the ToP Arc. That tells me they have something up their sleeve.

Lord Beerus
              Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:04 pm

Zagacious wrote:I think you're entirely missing the point, and this post wasn't entirely just about teamwork, but it's definitely lacking in what should be a battle royale. There is teamwork going on, but most of it has no consequence. The people who it should actually benefit to use teamwork, aren't using teamwork, and the displays of teamwork are ultimately useless. Most people that you mentioned were eliminated after 5 min of action. Krillin used teamwork for a second, but he was eliminated immediately after. Botamo and Magetta were using teamwork for a second, but then just disappeared, we didn't even get to see Vegeta finish the fight. Vikal saved Sanku but was eliminated immediately after because they decided to make Android 17 stronger than entire U2 for whatever reason. Anyone who teams up only does it long enough to show 'teamwork rules' only to split up anyways and get easily eliminated.

There are many instances where it would be obvious to use teamwork, but no one did:
              1. U6 Saiyans are easily defeating Pride Troopers, why doesn't Dyspo, Toppo, or Jiren interefere? Oh we find out they were doing more important things like just standing around.
              2. The sheer number of people trying to go after Goku solo, after it's likely word of his power has spread from the exhibition matches
              3. We would get to see the Z Fighters using teamwork, but it ultimately doesn't matter cause anyone of significant power is just ignoring them anyways.
              4. U9 used great teamwork, but what's the point of they're going to pit them against Goku and Vegeta right away.
              5. No one is going after the weaker U7 fighters, it seems apparent that Goku and Vegeta won't even interfere, but it's like everyone has a death wish just going solo after Goku, Hit, or 17

I could think of more but it's pretty obvious you've already made up your mind before you even read my post with your dismissive 'not paying attention' bs as well as greatly exaggerating the minor bits of teamwork we've seen.
              If anything that reeks of the writers rushing through the tournament as fast as possible when they are eliminating people so easily and letting Hit Toppo and Jiren run around unchallenged. and the pride troopers don't even care if their own fighters are being eliminated
              To say there is no consequence from people using teamwork is nonsense. The format of the tournament is to eliminate as many people as you can while also playing your cards right with who you fight and keeping yourself out of danger to ensure that your universe doesn't unnecessarily lose more members than it should. The point of using teamwork is to increase your chances of eliminating someone while also preventing your teammates from getting knocked out. That is consequence of using teamwork. When you reduce the number of people who you potentially will face, while also making sure you universe will have the most amount of fight before the time limit ends.

You can't just sweep under the rug that teamwork didn't matter in the perspective that it did for Krillin because he got eliminated. Universe 7 are going to lose members. But while he was still in the tournament, he did make a difference in saving Android 18 from being eliminated and also working together with Roshi and later Android 18 to eliminate other opponents. Botamo and Magetta worked extremely well as a team and cancelled out their weaknesses to fight against Vegeta effectively and last longer in the tournament, but got unfortunately got separated during Kale's SSJ Berserk rampage. And we haven't seen all of Universe 2 fight yet. So to say that Android 17 is stronger than all of them is nonsense. Especially since he couldn't defeat Ribrianne as she fought evenly with him.

And who exactly would actually benefit from teaming up with each other? The whole crux of this arc is survival. But the fashion of which all 80 characters will take that approach in the tournament isn't universal. Not everyone who uses teamwork will benefit but some do and it has made a difference. Some may not even think working as team would be as effective as going it alone. Especially considering some characters can have abilities or raw power than can negate the process of teamwork or enforcing the "numbers game". Most these universes were just some strong fighters they had to quickly assemble withing 48 hours. You can't expect all the fighters from every universe that's taking part in the tournament to know each other on personal level like Universe 7, and to a degree, Universe 11 do, where they could devise a suitable strategy or teamwork pattern.

I do think we could see more from Toppo and Jiren but it's obvious they have their own method of approaching this tournament and want to see how things play out for the opponents who seem like a real threat and save their strength for them. As we saw when Jiren stepped in to take care of Kale when she went SSJ Berserk and started wreck everything. Most people in-universe don't have any idea how strong any of the other characters would have been going in the Tournament Of Power.

They can't tell who among the Z-Fighters of any of the other universe are weak before or even during the tournament until they actually fight them. So complaints like how no one is going after the "weaker" U7 fighters or people going after Goku on their own don't have any merit. In terms of Goku's strength, all that the Hakaishin and Kaioshin could deduce from his performances in the Zen Exhibition Matches is that he was strong enough to beat Bergamo (another character all of the other Hakaishin and Kaioshin that aren't family with Universe 2 wouldn't know about and wouldn't be able to decisively know how strong he is given his unique abilities) and was strong enough to given Toppo a run for his money (yet another character all of the other Hakaishin and Kaioshin that aren't familiar with Universe 11 wouldn't know about and wouldn't be able to decisively know how strong he is given the nature of the battle). The latter complaint is the all more jarring considering we see the "weaker" Z-Fighters Roshi, Krillin and Tien team up in variations to eliminate opponents. Which for a tournament like this matters. A lot. Whether they are fighting strong or weak character is irrelevant. Every elimination matters and makes a difference in increasing your universes chance of survival. And working as team, regardless of how brief it may have been at times, has shown to make difference for the perspective of the universes looking to win the Tournament Of Power. That's not to say that teamwork has been consistently effective tool in the tournament. But to say that it hasn't been important at all is just false.
              Zagacious wrote:Again your own assumptions about what I expected, you clearly didn't even read what I said about the previews. There is no point to show Jiren in the NEP constantly when he's not going to do anything, that is indeed false hype, there's nothing more to read into it except "Jiren is there" except he's not. They did the same thing with Ribrianne and then she's only fighting for probably 1 min of the entire episode. I'm not expecting the episode to be exactly like what the preview shows, but what's the point of the preview if it almost has nothing to do with the actual episode?
              Again, it's a preview. It's nothing indicative of the content we'll actually see. That the point of the preview to show 2-4 second snippets of what we'll see in the episode. 30 seconds doesn't equate to a plot of a 22 minute episode. It never has and never will. Sometimes previews can deliberately misleading but that's the point. To make you think that there is much more to the episode. The point of preview is show a character that may or not do something or that a scenario may or may not progress in the way that it does. It's not to say, "this character will most certainly do X while this character will fight Y and this character will speak to Z." A preview is not going to give you an abridge version of the events in the next episode. So you're looking way too deeply into thirty seconds of the footage.
              Zagacious wrote:Everyone who could have been significant has been turned to fodder so the writers can rush to the big fights. The few people who left are guaranteed to follow the path of stupidity of the previous fighters and go to fight someone solo who they have no chance against like Goku or Hit.
              Not every fighter is going to relevant. There is always a pecking order when it comes to tournaments in Dragon Ball. There is always bound to fodder characters. And I said, there are still several fighters who we haven't even seen, let alone throw a punch. Will they be relevant to the plot? We don't know yet. So lets see how it plays out. There are still dozens of fighters left who can make a difference.

Zagacious
              Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zagacious » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:21 pm

The gr wrote:
              Zagacious wrote:
              no he couldn't keep up with Dyspo speed & with Kunshi trapping him with the wires at the same time,watch the episode hit was struggling with those two,with out goku hit couldn't have confused Dyspo, Kunshi will just trap him every time he hits dyspo sure they could have done a better job displaying but is certainly better than what we got previously
              They caught him off guard by predicting his time skip for a moment, but he clearly wasn't being damaged by any of it and he immediately countered it. Watch any clip where he is fighting them other than the moment he got caught off guard and it is clear neither of them has a chance to even damage him. Each one of Hit's blows is devastating to either of them. Honestly it would have been way better if Goku didn't interfere, but even then it would be minimal effort for Hit to win. I think their intention was just to have Goku show Hit a gesture of assisting each other for later in the tournament because him interfering was not necessary at all.