Why doesn't Adult Swims speed up the DUB

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Why doesn't Adult Swims speed up the DUB

Post by IntangibleFancy » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:54 pm

I heard we were pretty behind compared to the other dubs and I just find that upsetting. Especially since the pacing doesn't help and Adult Swims can and has delayed Super over trivial things (I still can't believe they had a Super marathon without airing the new episode)

Will they ever be able to find a way to boost up Super's DUB so that we aren't so far behind? We're nearing the end of the year and we still haven't reached the Black saga.
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Re: Why doesn't Adult Swims speed up the DUB

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:54 pm

Personally I think I actually prefer the way we are. Being so far behind when re-watching it is practically like you are watching for the first time again.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:30 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Personally I think I actually prefer the way we are. Being so far behind when re-watching it is practically like you are watching for the first time again.
I didn't mind at first but the pacing really makes things hard. The day before yesterday, we waited a whole week just for a recap episode. We should be over 3 episodes above this yet we haven't even entered the universe 6 tournament.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:57 pm

I think being behind is fine because it gives Funimation more time to work on the dub being good instead trying to rush and catch up with the Japanese version.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:27 am

I don't mind, it gives a nice refresh of the series. As someone who always prefer dubs (less reading involved) it almost feels like I am watching it new again. It is far enough behind that its a nice recap.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:34 pm

Giving how bad Goku Black's voice turn out in Xenoverse 2, I think Funimation taking time on the dub is a good thing. If we get a dub that rushes out to the Japanese version, we will get a dub that is very badly put together. I don't care for the dub of Super, but I do know that Funimation wants the dub of Super to be as perfect as possible when they talk about it last year.
She/Her

snpaa
Not-So-Newbie

Post by snpaa » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:56 pm

Consensus from this thread is that the majority don't mind the rate of episodes we are getting but I think the pacing is what's effecting dbs ratings right now. I don't even bother to watch it on adultswim anymore because of the abysmal pacing, the straw that broke the camel's back is when adultswim decided to not show new episodes on holidays and held us back two more weeks. Which is a shame because the dub is actually good, you can tell funimation's is bringing their A game for this , it actually salvages the arcs of super that I considered unwatchable because of the new script and superb voice acting.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:52 pm

What dubs are we behind in? I haven't heard much about the others. Though I do want the dub to be sped up I think it's pretty much impossible considering how many series FUNimation has to dub, and the Dragon Ball VAs seem to be very much in demand for other series. Still, things could change with SONY's ownership.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:00 pm

We should have at least a full hour of Super per Saturday and a full hour of Kai? (May be pushing it) they do marathons every dang 2 weeks. Marathon Super, One piece, HxH, without new episodes. Who wants to rerun the first 6 episodes they just saw since they are basically new? I think the marathons shouldn't ever happen unless its like 1 year anniversary etc.

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:54 pm

floofychan333 wrote:What dubs are we behind in? I haven't heard much about the others. Though I do want the dub to be sped up I think it's pretty much impossible considering how many series FUNimation has to dub, and the Dragon Ball VAs seem to be very much in demand for other series. Still, things could change with SONY's ownership.
You're behind the dubs from: Portugal, France, South Korea, Taiwan and Israel.
The dubs from Latin America and Brazil will probably catch up real soon since they're airing 5 episodes a week.
I'm just a DB fan that's in the grey area that exists between an Hardcore Fanboy and a Casual :P

Gokitalo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gokitalo » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:41 pm

I agree with the others that the pace in which the episodes are coming out are fine. I've been watching the show in Japanese with subtitles and hadn't really been watching the dub of the series (no problem with dubbing, I'd just been outside the US for a while), but I saw Champa's debut in English a few weeks back and was super-impressed (pun intended?) with the actors for Champa and Vados. They're both 100 percent spot on! So if the pace at which the show's being dubbed is having a positive effect on the quality of the dubbing, I'm A-OK with it

Big Black Sayian
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Big Black Sayian » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:12 pm

I also depends on Funimation

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:36 pm

The schedule that's about to air tomorrow is exactly what I'm talking about.

We're not getting a new episode of Super tonight because they're giving us a kai marathon. We're missing new DragonBall for a chain of DragonBall Reruns...

Not only that! But usually the new episode of Dragon Ball comes on at 8 before 11. Instead of that we're getting 2 reruns of super. For no reason at all. It's like the people behind this schedule are doing this just to get a negative rise out of the people patiently waiting and putting up with that heinous pacing (judging by what transpired on April Fools this could be true)

Wanna know what else? We won't even be getting Kai all night. Or for the duration of Toonami. A few years ago this would have (and should be) from 11PM-6AM but for whatever reason, they end us at 3. (And the only two shows that end Toonami are AOT [A short season currently on hiatus] and Samurai Jack [which is now cancelled) each episode of their short seasons can be viewed On-Demand yet the already suffering DragonBall fans get to close Toonami with them for whatever reason). To add an even worse burn than all of this Toonami has been replaced by reruns that have already appeared earlier throughout the night. This night it's Rick and Morty and King of the Hill (Another show on Hiatus [this particular one has already made us miss Super once] and another one has been cancelled)

Who does this and why?

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:53 pm

Toonami ending at 3:00 AM makes sense given how most of their viewers go to bed around that time. I think the longer for things to get dubbed, the better. I don't know why people want Funimation to rush the dub seeing how a rush job will end up being badly. I think Funimation would want to take time for the dub of the Future Trunks saga to get the voices for Zamasu and Black to be just right. Xenoverse 2 give us a horrible job on Black and his SSj Rose form. I don't want to hear a worst version of the SSj4 voice and a cheesy Bond villain voice for Black in the dub (I'm someone who does not care about the Funimation dub that much. I will watch the dub for fun if I have nothing else to do).
She/Her

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:27 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:Toonami ending at 3:00 AM makes sense given how most of their viewers go to bed around that time. I think the longer for things to get dubbed, the better. I don't know why people want Funimation to rush the dub seeing how a rush job will end up being badly. I think Funimation would want to take time for the dub of the Future Trunks saga to get the voices for Zamasu and Black to be just right. Xenoverse 2 give us a horrible job on Black and his SSj Rose form. I don't want to hear a worst version of the SSj4 voice and a cheesy Bond villain voice for Black in the dub (I'm someone who does not care about the Funimation dub that much. I will watch the dub for fun if I have nothing else to do).
It's not really about Funimation. It's about Adult Swims. We're over 5 episodes behind and all of the delays were easily avoidable.

Yedis
Beyond Newbie

Post by Yedis » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:34 am

The funimation staff doesn't finish dubbing that far in advance.

Sean Schemmel stated this week he just finished recording Episode 39 which is the SSB KK episode. That episode is supposed to air in mid-October.

I doubt any episode of the Goku Black arc has been completely dubbed yet.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:48 am

Yedis wrote:The funimation staff doesn't finish dubbing that far in advance.

Sean Schemmel stated this week he just finished recording Episode 39 which is the SSB KK episode. That episode is supposed to air in mid-October.

I doubt any episode of the Goku Black arc has been completely dubbed yet.
Screaming is done last minute, as to not have the actors voice drained for regular dialogue. Regular dialogue was finished months ago and they're more than likely are on the Black arc for regular dialogue, Sean recently mentioned Goku doing a cabbage competition with Piccolo and that happens in the Black arc.

They're aiming for broadcast so they can take their time but I do think they are sufficiently ahead, they did have half a year head start afterall..

TheOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheOne » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:31 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Personally I think I actually prefer the way we are. Being so far behind when re-watching it is practically like you are watching for the first time again.
I can understand that.

But for guys like me who prefer the English dub, it would be a lot more convenient to have a simulcast so I don't have to watch it in subs. The only reason I watch the subs is because I'm impatient and want to avoid spoilers.
How i predict the tournament will end:

Big Black Sayian
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Big Black Sayian » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:22 pm

TheOne wrote:
I can understand that.

But for guys like me who prefer the English dub, it would be a lot more convenient to have a simulcast so I don't have to watch it in subs. The only reason I watch the subs is because I'm impatient and want to avoid spoilers.
It would but unfortunately Funimation started late on the dub train. It's not really up to Adult Swim.

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:29 pm

Big Black Saiyan wrote:
TheOne wrote:
I can understand that.

It would but unfortunately Funimation started late on the dub train. It's not really up to Adult Swim.
Didn't Toei hold out for a TV deal which is why we are behind?
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy