Do you think DBS is a worthy continuation of DB and DBZ?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheMikado
I Live Here

Re: Do you think DBS is a worthy continuation of DB and DBZ?

Post by TheMikado » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:37 am

sintzu wrote:
Kinokima wrote:I am just arguing with the fact that the sole purpose of the series is to sell merchandise and that telling a good story is not important. I don't see that at all.
What I'm saying is that unlike before, the story is being written around the merchandise. Black for example turned out great so someone cared enough about the story to make him the best he could be. Other things like what they did with Trunks was a mess and most likely wouldn't have been done had the show not been as merchandise driven as it is, he most likely would've been used just as support like in the manga.
The phenomena of creating cartoons with the primary purpose of selling merchandise is a very well documented and applies to many of the shows currently in rotation. Pre-cure I believe is a contemporary example while transformers is an example of the an older model of this. There's actually been quite a few books written about this process in Japanese anime and how it devalues the quality and "artistic merits" of the medium. That being said it is certainly possible to do both.

The argument however is that previously the anime was made to promote, sell, or capitalize on the manga. Your example of One Piece is excellent. The end product is the story. It's designed to be good to continue viewership first and foremost.

Other types of shows viewership may be a secondary concern to the merchandising aspect.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:30 pm

sintzu wrote:
Kinokima wrote:I am just arguing with the fact that the sole purpose of the series is to sell merchandise and that telling a good story is not important. I don't see that at all.
What I'm saying is that unlike before, the story is being written around the merchandise. Black for example turned out great so someone cared enough about the story to make him the best he could be. Other things like what they did with Trunks was a mess and most likely wouldn't have been done had the show not been as merchandise driven as it is, he most likely would've been used just as support like in the manga.
I think Future Trunks came back because the series is also driven by nostalgia. That is why we also get characters like Frieza and 17's return. Popular characters are brought back because they were popular. Whether this is a good decision or not is up to debate but it doesn't mean someone doesn't care about the story. Even if a story turns out unsatisfactory doesn't mean someone didn't care either. I was admittedly unsatsified with how the Trunks storyline played out (even though there were a lot of moments I loved) but I can say that about a lot of anime series I watched. They started out great but they disappointed me in the end. But just because in the end I am disappointed doesn't mean that the person writing it just didn't care

In the end I see Super as a lot of nostalgia mixed with new concepts and expanding the Dragonball world. It may not always work but I do like what they are doing with expanding the Dragonball world and introducing us to other Universes. And as a fan the nostalgia of bringing back favorite characters (like Future Trunks) does work for me. There was a lot I loved about Future Trunks coming back that he got to interact with a "nicer" Vegeta for one thing.

Goku Black and Zamasu were also two of the best written villains in all of Dragon Ball for me. Yeah the ending was disappointing but I can't say that the entire arc was only about selling figures and they didn't care about telling a good story.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:09 pm

TheMikado wrote:Other types of shows viewership may be a secondary concern to the merchandising aspect.
A few months ago there was an episode or 2 that didn't do well with views and some said that it didn't matter as long as the merchandise sales were up.
Kinokima wrote:I like what they are doing with expanding the Dragonball world and introducing us to other Universes.
I do as well which is why I'm still following Super and will do so until it ends, regardless of how bad it might get. My point is that if its survival wasn't based on merchandise sales then it most likely would've ended up a lot better than it is.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:51 pm

TheMikado wrote:
sintzu wrote:
The phenomena of creating cartoons with the primary purpose of selling merchandise is a very well documented and applies to many of the shows currently in rotation. Pre-cure I believe is a contemporary example while transformers is an example of the an older model of this. There's actually been quite a few books written about this process in Japanese anime and how it devalues the quality and "artistic merits" of the medium. That being said it is certainly possible to do both.

The argument however is that previously the anime was made to promote, sell, or capitalize on the manga. Your example of One Piece is excellent. The end product is the story. It's designed to be good to continue viewership first and foremost.

Other types of shows viewership may be a secondary concern to the merchandising aspect.

Well I did mention mecha shows which are definitely designed to sell toys of the mecha. But that doesn't mean they can't have a good story.

As for Pre-Cure it is hard to compare it to Super since I personally don't watch it but I do know adult fans of the franchise.

As for One Piece even though the manga is the main product one can argue that the fact that it is so popular has extended its life beyond where it was originally meant to go (in fact I don't even think we need to argue this. It's definitely true). I am not saying One Piece isn't still good (as I've fallen so far behind I wouldn't know) but the fact that keeping a popular series ongoing now is probably more important than the integrity of the same story. But that doesn't mean that you can't tell a good story and prolong the life of something like One Piece.

Wanting to use a show to market toys doesn't mean the writers don't care about the story. In fact if they want to sell toys they should care about the story & the characters. Of course we can argue if Super is any good or if its integrity has been compromised. Personally I think not.

I think some fans are worried that it may go on past its prime. Its a valid concern. But then Japan has series even longer than Dragon Ball and One Piece that are still popular to this day. One can argue that Dragon Ball as a franchise has gone beyond most other anime series that just want to tell a simple story (and please note as a general rule I do prefer my anime series to do just that) . It and its characters are iconic. Whereas now you have parents who watched DB as kids watching this new series with their kids.

So I agree that Super may not be telling a story with a beginning, middle or end. I see it as more spending time with favorite characters and seeing "certain stories" for them play out. But then again maybe I do look at it differently because even with DBZ it was the characters not the plot that I was most interested in.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:18 pm

I'm half way or so through the 23rd Tenkaichi arc (rewatching DB before moving on to Kai) and the differences in quality between it and Super are night and day. The writing, atmosphere, choreography, attention to detail, etc. are just amazing. Super is currently on a tournament so watching it along side the original's best one really shows how flawed Super is in comparison and how faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar it has to go before it can even come close to the original.

Rewatching this arc has reminded me why I love DB so much and why it'll always be my favorite anime. Toriyama's original story is truly a timeless calssic and it's such a shame that what we're getting now is how new fans will think of DB. It's a very inaccurate representation of what the original was and what made it so great.

I now understand why some think when something is over it should stay over. Out of all the new products we've gotten after the manga, BOG's movie is the only one that felt like a true, genuine part of DB. The people involved from Toriyama to the production team really unserstood what made DB click and couldn't have done a better job with it. Ever since I finished the original 3 anime in 2005-06 I wanted just one more story form Toriyama and he delivered with BOG and then some.
Kinokima wrote:As for One Piece even though the manga is the main product one can argue that the fact that it is so popular has extended its life beyond where it was originally meant to go (in fact I don't even think we need to argue this. It's definitely true).
According to Oda, One Piece was only going to be a 5 year long story yet we're in year 20 with no signs of stopping.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.