Angels are not supposed to freeze after their universe vanishes!

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Arugela
Beyond Newbie

Angels are not supposed to freeze after their universe vanishes!

Post by Arugela » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:04 pm

Why do all youtubers think this. They have all taken some statement out of control and keep making up ideas about the angels supposedly freezing when they are not supposed to do this?! it is normal for them to stay around after the universes disappear.

The convo can be deepened as it goes on. Anyone have the link to the statement everyone uses to state this. I can't remember which episode it is atm or where to find a clip or reference to it.

Discuss!
Last edited by Arugela on Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My fan art:
Brolly Gohan Fusion!: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=38826
Uubeerus fusion: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=39923
Dende theme: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=39750

Zenoh might be waygu/kobe Beef!?: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40055
GT theory: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=40001

Sandubadear
I Live Here

Re: Angels are not supposed to freeze after their universe vanishes!

Post by Sandubadear » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:27 pm

Shin said the angels go inactive after their god dies, that's why Whis couldnt help them fight Zamasu.
"The life is the hardest video games of ever. Because you have only one life and the powers are kinda lame. And sometimes a stage takes years"

"The life is a game, the objective of the game is trying to find the objective of the game, and then, finish the game"
--by Ranely Jr

時空の主/齊天大聖
Lazy Xenoverse characters: Kuriza, Neko Majin Abra

Arugela
Beyond Newbie

Post by Arugela » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:55 pm

What are the eposides where these things are stated?
My fan art:

DainIronfoot
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DainIronfoot » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:56 pm

Sandubadear wrote:Shin said the angels go inactive after their god dies, that's why Whis couldnt help them fight Zamasu.

Keyword there is dies. Sidra and Rumusshi didn't die, they were erased. That's the only way of looking at it so far...unless of course at the end it's revealed they weren't really erased.

Arugela
Beyond Newbie

Post by Arugela » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:47 pm

What was said does not actually mean they go inactive. People are taking a line the wrong way. The god of descrution and kaioshin die but the angle simply goes on. People are taking a line very wrongly. It's never actually been implied the go inactive. The show is never going to treat it that way or even take it into account.

Re look at the original statement.
My fan art:

Ilikepictures-meh
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ilikepictures-meh » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:56 pm

Sandubadear wrote:Shin said the angels go inactive after their god dies, that's why Whis couldnt help them fight Zamasu.
Inactive is vague, and could damn near mean anything though. So TC isn't wrong with his statement.

Hakaishin Liquir
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hakaishin Liquir » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:59 pm

DainIronfoot wrote:

Keyword there is dies. Sidra and Rumusshi didn't die, they were erased. That's the only way of looking at it so far...unless of course at the end it's revealed they weren't really erased.
Or we could go with the simpler and more likely explanation: people were misinterpreting what inactive means.

Arugela
Beyond Newbie

Post by Arugela » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:49 am

What was the episode where this was said. I want to rewatch it. I'm pretty sure it doesn't even mean inactive in any form. It just means they are no longer needed to do their jobs. Like vacation. IE, nothing happens. They just don't have a universe to watch over and have annoy them day in and day out. How do you think Whis would feel if he got a massive vacation. Besides maybe not wanting them to die for some personal reason. Assuming you can even say that much.
My fan art:

Sandubadear
I Live Here

Post by Sandubadear » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:44 am

It's episode 63. Goku asks if Whis couldn't help them fight Zamasu, but Shin says he can't because the angel becomes inactive after the god dies. If it were just a simple "vacation", Whis would help them somehow. Beerus and Whis are the ones who defeat Zamasu in the alternate future created at the end, so it's obvious that he doesn't appear because he literally can't.
"The life is the hardest video games of ever. Because you have only one life and the powers are kinda lame. And sometimes a stage takes years"

"The life is a game, the objective of the game is trying to find the objective of the game, and then, finish the game"
--by Ranely Jr

時空の主/齊天大聖
Lazy Xenoverse characters: Kuriza, Neko Majin Abra

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:05 am

Herms said the phrase which translates as "cease functioning" also carries with it mechanical connotations, as in it's like a robot shutting down.

Saturnine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Saturnine » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:31 am

It's either or - my personal guess is that once an entire universe is erased, the angel is no longer bound to their universe, and therefore god of destruction. If a GoD just dies while the universe remains intact, the situation is vastly different, don't you think?

Arugela
Beyond Newbie

Post by Arugela » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:20 pm

I think by function they simply meant they are no longer obliged to do anything and are not assigned or potentially forbidden from further action. And if the universe is gone they are definitely not going to be doing anything for it... Both literally and figuratively. We have not seen a single angle freeze up like a rock or anything so I'm going to bet this is the meaning. Or else zeno or someone would have potentially noted something was amiss by them just standing there.

I'm going to pretty much, again, say that there is no chance of it meaning anything but function in the sense of their duties. Not physiologically.

What does it say in the original Japanese. That might give a better hint. BTW, just watched that part of the episode, but I'm not familiar enough with the words to pick it out easily. Does anyone know exactly what is said in japanese word for word when the kai mentioned this? The line clearly starts with, "Goku-san." I'm assuming it's using tenshi several times for angel. But I can't figure out the other words so far.

Also, that dialogue is telling Goku for the first time that whis is an angel and not a normal being. Meaning there are unusual circumstances in what he can and can't do potentially. Which Goku was not aware of previously as goku did not even know Whis was an angel or that angels existed as is pointed out in the dialogue. In this case likely his duty and him being under orders. Goku wanted Whis to help because he was strong but this makes it so Whis can't come in and just butt whomp on Zumasu or otherwise give aid. When he says Whis is more reliable than Beerus he means he is more likely to come to someone aid or come when someone asks him to in a more consistent manner. Beerus will simply brush you off because he doesn't want to be bothered. Whis will at least show up and be more likely to help or has shown to them in the past he is more considerate wether he helps or not. IE, more reliable/dutiful in nature.
Last edited by Arugela on Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
My fan art:

TheOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheOne » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:54 pm

Arugela wrote:I think by function they simply meant they are no longer obliged to do anything and are not assigned or potentially forbiden. And if the universe is gone they are definitely not going to be doing anything... Not literally just figuratively. We have not seen a single angle freeze up like a rock or anything so I'm going to bet this is the meaning. Or else zeno or someone would have potentially noted something was amiss by them just standing there.

I'm going to pretty much, again, say that there is no chance of it meaning anything but function in the sense of their duties. Not physiologically.

What does it say in the original Japanese. That might give a better hint. BTW, just watched that part of the episode, but I'm not familiar enough with the words to pick it out easily. Does anyone know exactly what is said in japanese word for word when the kai mentioned this? The line clearly starts with, "Goku-san." I'm assuming it's using tenshi several times for angel. But I can't figure out the other words so far.

Also, that dialogue is telling Goku for the first time that whis is an angel and not a normal being. Meaning there are unusual circumstances in what he can and can't do potentially. Which Goku was not aware of previously as goku did not even know Whis was an angel or that angels existed. In this case likely his duty and him being under orders. Goku wanted Whis to help because he was strong but this makes it so Whis can't come in and just butt whomp on Zumasu. When he says Whis is more reliable than Beerus he means he is more likely to come to someone aid or come when someone asks him to in a more consistent manner. Beerus will simply brush you off because he doesn't want to be bothered. Whis will at least show up and be more likely to help or has shown to them in the past he is more considerate wether he helps or not. AKA more reliable/dutiful.
Herms translation not good enough for you?
How i predict the tournament will end:

Arugela
Beyond Newbie

Post by Arugela » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:56 pm

TheOne wrote:
Arugela wrote:I think by function they simply meant they are no longer obliged to do anything and are not assigned or potentially forbiden. And if the universe is gone they are definitely not going to be doing anything... Not literally just figuratively. We have not seen a single angle freeze up like a rock or anything so I'm going to bet this is the meaning. Or else zeno or someone would have potentially noted something was amiss by them just standing there.

Also, that dialogue is telling Goku for the first time that whis is an angel and not a normal being. Meaning there are unusual circumstances in what he can and can't do potentially. Which Goku was not aware of previously as goku did not even know Whis was an angel or that angels existed. In this case likely his duty and him being under orders. Goku wanted Whis to help because he was strong but this makes it so Whis can't come in and just butt whomp on Zumasu. When he says Whis is more reliable than Beerus he means he is more likely to come to someone aid or come when someone asks him to in a more consistent manner. Beerus will simply brush you off because he doesn't want to be bothered. Whis will at least show up and be more likely to help or has shown to them in the past he is more considerate wether he helps or not. AKA more reliable/dutiful.
I'm sorry, but I have no idea who, "Herms," is. Maybe you should drop your attitude if you can't make an argument or add something to the conversation. I'm actually trying to figure out what was said and it's intended meaning.

And, no, a translation would not be sufficient without the base material it was based on to analyse it. That would not make sense. Or else nobody can know if it's correct or incorrect or anyone's opinions on it are correct or incorrect. That is literally the definition of a lack of an argument.
Simere wrote:Herms said the phrase which translates as "cease functioning" also carries with it mechanical connotations, as in it's like a robot shutting down.
Still don't know who hermes is. Someone from the show?! Either way you are left with the same problem. As someone else said, you can mean function in many ways. It can mean in regards to a physical nature or duty or similar. And you can swap physical in a literal or figurative way(And this is only in english, not japanese.). So, it's a matter of the use of the language(s). Translations get very tricky this way. Each layer added adds to the complexity exponentially. The more of the material you have the better. We need the original to argue the same way to figure out what hermes meant. Or if he was just giving a simple word translation what that means. If we had the words he translated we could start to figure this out and make real argument. Especially as the same base info is needed for all arguments present in this discussion or even potentially present.
My fan art:

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:34 pm

I'd say the simplest explanation is that Daishinkan is preventing them from turning into rocks, so to speak, because they're his children and super special.

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:58 pm

Theres 2 pretty simple explanations.

1. Inactive simply means they dont do anything, not they actually turn to stone.

2. Grand priest is preventing them from dying as the tournament is a special kind of deal.

TheOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheOne » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:43 pm

Arugela wrote:
TheOne wrote:

I'm sorry, but I have no idea who, "Herms," is. Maybe you should drop your attitude if you can't make an argument or add something to the conversation. I'm actually trying to figure out what was said and it's intended meaning.

And, no, a translation would not be sufficient without the base material it was based on to analyse it. That would not make sense. Or else nobody can know if it's correct or incorrect or anyone's opinions on it are correct or incorrect. That is literally the definition of a lack of an argument.
Simere wrote:Herms said the phrase which translates as "cease functioning" also carries with it mechanical connotations, as in it's like a robot shutting down.
Still don't know who hermes is. Someone from the show?! Either way you are left with the same problem. As someone else said, you can mean function in many ways. It can mean in regards to a physical nature or duty or similar. And you can swap physical in a literal or figurative way(And this is only in english, not japanese.). So, it's a matter of the use of the language(s). Translations get very tricky this way. Each layer added adds to the complexity exponentially. The more of the material you have the better. We need the original to argue the same way to figure out what hermes meant. Or if he was just giving a simple word translation what that means. If we had the words he translated we could start to figure this out and make real argument. Especially as the same base info is needed for all arguments present in this discussion or even potentially present.
An argument can be made. I just asked a simple question, and you responded like a child. If you don't know who Herms is, then I invite you to just do a little research.

As far as I'm concerned, you're no different than the people who post on YouTube. So you're most likely going to be ignored talking the way you do.
How i predict the tournament will end:

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:02 pm

Arugela wrote:What does it say in the original Japanese. That might give a better hint. BTW, just watched that part of the episode, but I'm not familiar enough with the words to pick it out easily. Does anyone know exactly what is said in japanese word for word when the kai mentioned this? The line clearly starts with, "Goku-san." I'm assuming it's using tenshi several times for angel. But I can't figure out the other words so far.
The line in Japanese (per the Closed Captioning) is:
天使は仕える神が死ぬと次の神が現れるまで機能を停止するのです。
Tenshi wa tsukaeru kami ga shinu to tsugi no kami ga arawareru made kinou wo teishi suru no desu.
As mentioned, 機能を停止/kinou wo teishi/"cease to function" would typically be used to describe a machine shutting down, so it being used to describe an angel is odd, probably intentionally so.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Dai-Saiyajin
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dai-Saiyajin » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:33 pm

Herms wrote:
Arugela wrote:What does it say in the original Japanese. That might give a better hint. BTW, just watched that part of the episode, but I'm not familiar enough with the words to pick it out easily. Does anyone know exactly what is said in japanese word for word when the kai mentioned this? The line clearly starts with, "Goku-san." I'm assuming it's using tenshi several times for angel. But I can't figure out the other words so far.
The line in Japanese (per the Closed Captioning) is:
Tenshi wa tsukaeru kami ga shinu to tsugi no kami ga arawareru made kinou wo teishi suru no desu.
As mentioned, 機能を停止/kinou wo teishi/"cease to function" would typically be used to describe a machine shutting down, so it being used to describe an angel is odd, probably intentionally so.
Just for curiositiy, what the manga says ?

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:40 pm

Dai-Saiyajin wrote:Just for curiositiy, what the manga says ?

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
It's word-for-word the same as the anime:
"If the god they serve dies, angel cease functioning until the next god appears." (there's a few other ways you could phrase that, but they all amount to the same thing)
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.