Do you feel that my boy Piccolo is being screwed?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

precita
Banned

Do you feel that my boy Piccolo is being screwed?

Post by precita » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:42 pm

It honestly seems to me that my boy Piccolo is not being treated any better than the human characters. He's literally only had 1 win so far in a quick fight, and all else we've seen him do is get his arms constantly blown off.

At the moment he's gotten far less screentime than either Krillin or Roshi, and only slightly better than Tien. Why is my boy Piccolo being screwed like this? We can only hope he gets huge fights with the two Nameks and hopefully someone else.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Do you feel that my boy Piccolo is being screwed?

Post by fadeddreams5 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:08 pm

He's Gohan's babysitter this arc.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

supercat
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by supercat » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:13 pm

I would hate to see Piccolo fighting the new Namekians, as it would mean they are basically as weak and pathetic as he is. The only time they should fight is if one of the new Namekians just flick him out of the ring and scoff him off as a weakling before facing off against Goku, Vegeta, Android 17, or Frieza. Having opponents that are SSB-tier would also show they are quite powerful themselves.

Fighting Piccolo, using ugly attacks, running away, playing more hide and seek will only devalue these potentially awesome characters. Piccolo is basically nothing at this point, and I would hate to see the new Namekians tossed into the same pile of trash as him.

And to answer your question, both Piccolo and Tien have similar fighting styles. The kind of battle I find to be a waste of time to even watch. I would much rather see one of the four universe 7 fighters I mentioned above (Goku, Vegeta, Android 17, and Frieza). The four of them have so much to offer compared to insignificant weaklings like Tien, who basically was showcased in the most humiliating fashion and Piccolo, a weakling who makes very little progress despite all that training. Maybe he actually would have learned a thing or two if he actually had more confidence to train with Goku and Vegeta. Then perhaps, he wouldn't have been humiliated like that against Frost. So pride-less, just like Tien, who also decided not to use the RoSaT back in the Cell saga. But then again, Piccolo smiling about a fodder like Tien saving him instead of criticizing himself for his own weakness just shows how little he thinks of himself.

The Saiyan Royal

Post by The Saiyan Royal » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:58 pm

supercat wrote:I would hate to see Piccolo fighting the new Namekians, as it would mean they are basically as weak and pathetic as he is. The only time they should fight is if one of the new Namekians just flick him out of the ring and scoff him off as a weakling before facing off against Goku, Vegeta, Android 17, or Frieza. Having opponents that are SSB-tier would also show they are quite powerful themselves.

Fighting Piccolo, using ugly attacks, running away, playing more hide and seek will only devalue these potentially awesome characters. Piccolo is basically nothing at this point, and I would hate to see the new Namekians tossed into the same pile of trash as him.

And to answer your question, both Piccolo and Tien have similar fighting styles. The kind of battle I find to be a waste of time to even watch. I would much rather see one of the four universe 7 fighters I mentioned above (Goku, Vegeta, Android 17, and Frieza). The four of them have so much to offer compared to insignificant weaklings like Tien, who basically was showcased in the most humiliating fashion and Piccolo, a weakling who makes very little progress despite all that training. Maybe he actually would have learned a thing or two if he actually had more confidence to train with Goku and Vegeta. Then perhaps, he wouldn't have been humiliated like that against Frost. So pride-less, just like Tien, who also decided not to use the RoSaT back in the Cell saga. But then again, Piccolo smiling about a fodder like Tien saving him instead of criticizing himself for his own weakness just shows how little he thinks of himself.
What do you have against Piccolo?

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:05 pm

The Saiyan Royal wrote:
supercat wrote:I would hate to see Piccolo fighting the new Namekians, as it would mean they are basically as weak and pathetic as he is. The only time they should fight is if one of the new Namekians just flick him out of the ring and scoff him off as a weakling before facing off against Goku, Vegeta, Android 17, or Frieza. Having opponents that are SSB-tier would also show they are quite powerful themselves.

What do you have against Piccolo?
Since the last episode aired he has been like this for some reason.

We know there is 32 fighters left at the start of episode 109 so that means 4 have to go not from Universe 6 and 7 in the next 2 episodes and since Gohan is in episode 108 fighting I wouldn't be surprised if Piccolo takes out a few fighters during the episode while Gohan is fighting Jimeze and Goku is fighting Ribrianne.
fadeddreams5 wrote:He's Gohan's babysitter this arc.
This is just simply wrong.
precita wrote:It honestly seems to me that my boy Piccolo is not being treated any better than the human characters. He's literally only had 1 win so far in a quick fight, and all else we've seen him do is get his arms constantly blown off.

At the moment he's gotten far less screentime than either Krillin or Roshi, and only slightly better than Tien. Why is my boy Piccolo being screwed like this? We can only hope he gets huge fights with the two Nameks and hopefully someone else.
Episode 108 he could get some eliminations since he should be involved in it.

Ziegander
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ziegander » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:06 pm

namekiansaiyan wrote:
I'm certainly not trying to egg on supercat's trolling, but how exactly is that wrong? He's literally done nothing this arc that didn't have to do with Gohan, and 90% of what he's done has been to hover around Gohan and get wrecked by attacks that were meant to hurt Gohan. Sounds... a lot like babysitting to me. Bodyguarding, if we're being generous.

Is Piccolo getting screwed? Absolutely.

The only way I see him being treated any better than the humans is how confident, calm, and collected he's been throughout the tournament, despite getting his body mauled half the time he's in an episode (which is almost no time at all). Then again, though, that's just his personality, so *shrug* :shifty: . I was hoping he would see a decent resurgence in power and usefulness since this arc began, but seeing his participation so far and the way Tien's been treated, I'm not looking forward to anything at this point. I think he'll fight the namekians, because obvious, and I don't think the fight will be anything special. He will probably eliminate them both and get eliminated in turn. I was hoping he'd take out Frost and get eliminated by someone legit like Toppo, but now I really can't see anything like that happening. He's not being taken seriously and I'm almost certain, sooner or later, he'll be treated like the other universes' fodder have been.
My Full Rewrite of the Moro Arc

I've begun a full-scale re-write of the Tournament of Power! Here's Ch. 1, here's Ch.
, and here's Ch.
3!

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:47 pm

He's been handled wrong since BOG and it doesn't seem like it's going to change. Piccolo is one of the best characters in the franchise and his treatment shows how lackluster the writers are when it comes to utilizing characters. If things don't change by the end of the tournament then they never will.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Basako
Advanced Regular

Post by Basako » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:59 pm

He has the second place after Tenshinhan in the screwed league, but he is still there, so there is time and hope for him.

Not much for himself in the recruitment arc. He looked like he could handle Gohan in SS2, that's something, He also made some nice teamwork with him against Goku.

In the tournament, not much. Zero offensive teamwork, just defending each others back. At least he has one solo elimination against the red guy. Losing three arms last episode was pathetic. He showed some inteligence noticing about the body temperature thing.

He is safe until he meets the namekians, they may not bring impressive transformations or revelations in the end, but the interaction is interesting itself, plus the fight, of course.
Heno heno kappa!

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:25 am

Ziegander wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote:
I'm certainly not trying to egg on supercat's trolling, but how exactly is that wrong? He's literally done nothing this arc that didn't have to do with Gohan, and 90% of what he's done has been to hover around Gohan and get wrecked by attacks that were meant to hurt Gohan. Sounds... a lot like babysitting to me. Bodyguarding, if we're being generous.

Is Piccolo getting screwed? Absolutely.

The only way I see him being treated any better than the humans is how confident, calm, and collected he's been throughout the tournament, despite getting his body mauled half the time he's in an episode (which is almost no time at all). Then again, though, that's just his personality, so *shrug* :shifty: . I was hoping he would see a decent resurgence in power and usefulness since this arc began, but seeing his participation so far and the way Tien's been treated, I'm not looking forward to anything at this point. I think he'll fight the namekians, because obvious, and I don't think the fight will be anything special. He will probably eliminate them both and get eliminated in turn. I was hoping he'd take out Frost and get eliminated by someone legit like Toppo, but now I really can't see anything like that happening. He's not being taken seriously and I'm almost certain, sooner or later, he'll be treated like the other universes' fodder have been.
Basako wrote:He has the second place after Tenshinhan in the screwed league, but he is still there, so there is time and hope for him.

Not much for himself in the recruitment arc. He looked like he could handle Gohan in SS2, that's something, He also made some nice teamwork with him against Goku.

In the tournament, not much. Zero offensive teamwork, just defending each others back. At least he has one solo elimination against the red guy. Losing three arms last episode was pathetic. He showed some inteligence noticing about the body temperature thing.

He is safe until he meets the namekians, they may not bring impressive transformations or revelations in the end, but the interaction is interesting itself, plus the fight, of course.
I don't understand why you take Piccolo losing 3 arms as pathetic it it was just Toei creating Drama which will have no effect on what happens in the future.

Why did Piccolo need attention during the recruitment? He is not a returning character or fighter like Gohan, Frieza, 17 amd Krillin. Not appearing is not a bad thing sometimes. If Piccolo did not train Gohan he would have appeared way less in the recruitment arc because he didn't need to be there. In the tournament they Gohan and Piccolo have not even tag teamed an opponent and when they did fight they seperated.

I also see no reason why Piccolo can't last a long time and the next to go would be Roshi, 17, 18. If the Namekians are good Piccolo is going nowhere any time soon and because of the Namekians Piccolo could actually one of the best futures and I don't see why many of you automatically come to the conclusion that the Namekians are nothing special in the tournament.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:18 am

Yes Piccolo has ugly attacks in comparison to Vegeta amazing techniques such generic ki blasts, and charging at an opponent only to get knocked on his ass, or the best of all, screaming some stupid bullshit about his power and dickriding himself which totally isn't a negative and annoying character trait. It's almost like Vegeta is regressive character thats gone back to his Cell saga self.

Piccolo, at this point, has the potential to have more interesting fights than Vegeta if they write him properly and with some sort of dignity.

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:45 am

I am simply going to assume that you are trolling.
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

Basako
Advanced Regular

Post by Basako » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:16 am

namekiansaiyan wrote: I don't understand why you take Piccolo losing 3 arms as pathetic it it was just Toei creating Drama which will have no effect on what happens in the future.

Why did Piccolo need attention during the recruitment? He is not a returning character or fighter like Gohan, Frieza, 17 amd Krillin. Not appearing is not a bad thing sometimes. If Piccolo did not train Gohan he would have appeared way less in the recruitment arc because he didn't need to be there. In the tournament they Gohan and Piccolo have not even tag teamed an opponent and when they did fight they seperated.

I also see no reason why Piccolo can't last a long time and the next to go would be Roshi, 17, 18. If the Namekians are good Piccolo is going nowhere any time soon and because of the Namekians Piccolo could actually one of the best futures and I don't see why many of you automatically come to the conclusion that the Namekians are nothing special in the tournament.
Maybe pathetic was too hard word for the case. It's maybe more from a writing standpoint, they are overusing this thing of his and not very well in this case. Drama is fine, but it felt cheap to me.

Well, I didn't spoke negatively about his recruitment, it was kind of neutral, like 18.

But in the tournament, for all the episodes we had, a fight that didn't even last a minute feels not enough, that's why I see him the next worst after Tenshinhan. As I said, he is still there, so we'll see. It won't be worse than Ten, it already isn't.
Heno heno kappa!

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:25 am

Basako wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote: I don't understand why you take Piccolo losing 3 arms as pathetic it it was just Toei creating Drama which will have no effect on what happens in the future.

Maybe pathetic was too hard word for the case. It's maybe more from a writing standpoint, they are overusing this thing of his and not very well in this case. Drama is fine, but it felt cheap to me.

Well, I didn't spoke negatively about his recruitment, it was kind of neutral, like 18.

But in the tournament, for all the episodes we had, a fight that didn't even last a minute feels not enough, that's why I see him the next worst after Tenshinhan. As I said, he is still there, so we'll see. It won't be worse than Ten, it already isn't.
I can agree with your final sentiment, at least Piccolo got to kick the crap out of Gohan and has proven himself somewhat competent as a warrior and strategist in the tournament.

Ten just got the crap kicked out of him at every given opportunity.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:53 am

JazzMazz wrote:
Basako wrote: Maybe pathetic was too hard word for the case. It's maybe more from a writing standpoint, they are overusing this thing of his and not very well in this case. Drama is fine, but it felt cheap to me.

I can agree with your final sentiment, at least Piccolo got to kick the crap out of Gohan and has proven himself somewhat competent as a warrior and strategist in the tournament.

Ten just got the crap kicked out of him at every given opportunity.
Everyone knows it is cheap and they should stop using itas it shows their lack of creativity.

Exactly, Piccolo and 18 did not need attention in the recruitment arc and Vegeta didn't get anythimg either really.

The recruitment hype has been shown to be false hype with Krillin, Nigrisshi, Narirama, Kahseral not doing as good as expected. Dyspo and Roshi has been better than most people expected. Cabba has not done much either while Toppo has just stood there. Frieza and Frost are also just starting to get into action.

The problem with Piccolo fighting the lower tier is that unlike other characters he does not mess around and since Toei are trying to make the most out of these characters as possible it does not make sense for Piccolo to face them. However his treatment going forward will obviously have an impact on how we view the first 10 episodes of the tournament. I do think he has a high chance of defeating someone in episode 108 from Universe 2 as Goku is facing Ribrianne while Gohan is against the Yardratian so maybe Piccolo could beat Rozie and Zircloin to get some eliminations since 4 have to drop by episode 109.

Whatever
Regular

Post by Whatever » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:57 am

Piccolo has been going downhill since the buu arc.
What the buu saga did not do to bring his character down,was done by GT and the anime version of the ROF arc.
In the BOG arc he did nothing like all the others.
In the U6 arc his one victory was taken and given to somebody else,neither his teamates or opponent gave any shit for him.
In the FT arc,despite having like only 3 minutes of screentime he was used pretty well,thats how he should have been used in the buu saga.
In the recruitment arc,he got a whole episode where he beat up Gohan in all of his forms and thats the best treatment he had got post cell saga.
Current arc he is gohan's meatshield.

In the FT and recruitment arc he has done better because by the U6 arc they have done everything bad they could do to him.
So the only way for him to go was to go up,with the current arc he can go low again now that he got a little something from the previous 2 arcs,which is what they seem to be doing with him being Gohan's meatshield and all.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:30 am

Whatever wrote: ....the anime version of the ROF arc.
I still think this is the biggest offender when it comes his treatment in Super. I'm honestly curious to know why they went with this. The bitter pragmatist in me thinks they did this to cut costs -no need to animate another fight sequence, just have him die. And that wasn't well animated either. I mean, I seriously hope it wasn't because they thought fans would react better to him sacrificing himself again. Yes, Piccolo and Gohan's bond is well loved in this franchise, yes, people like seeing how much they care for each other, but this scene did a disservice to both of them imho.

As for U6 arc, that went a tiny bit better for him. Vegeta not letting him get his turn might be interpreted as him believing Piccolo might actually stand a chance of winning, and he really wanted a go at Frost. Yes? No? Maybe? Still bad, but not ROF bad.
Last edited by Michsi on Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:41 am

Michsi wrote:
I still think this is the biggest offender when it comes his treatment in Super. I'm honestly curious to know why they went with this. The bitter pragmatist in me thinks they did this to cut costs. No need to animate another fight sequence, just have him die. And that wasn't well animated either. I mean, I seriously hope it wasn't because they thought fans would react better to watch him sacrifice himself again. Yes, Piccolo and Gohan's bond is well loved in this franchise, yes, people like seeing how much they care for each other, but this scene did a disservice to both of them imho.

As for U6 arc, that went a tiny bit better for him. Vegeta not letting him get his turn might be interpreted as him believing Piccolo might actually stand a chance of winning, and he really wanted a go at Frost. Yes? No? Maybe? Still bad, but not ROF bad.
Piccolo died in Resurrection 'F' so Gohan's lack of training had far more dire consequences and get his ass back in training. That is literally it.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:47 am

HeroR wrote:
Michsi wrote:
I still think this is the biggest offender when it comes his treatment in Super. I'm honestly curious to know why they went with this. The bitter pragmatist in me thinks they did this to cut costs. No need to animate another fight sequence, just have him die. And that wasn't well animated either. I mean, I seriously hope it wasn't because they thought fans would react better to watch him sacrifice himself again. Yes, Piccolo and Gohan's bond is well loved in this franchise, yes, people like seeing how much they care for each other, but this scene did a disservice to both of them imho.

Piccolo died in Resurrection 'F' so Gohan's lack of training had far more dire consequences and get his ass back in training. That is literally it.
Because him getting beaten within an inch of his life wouldn't be enough to get that point across? :)
Or at least let him have his fight with Shisami before killing them both off so unceremoniously.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:51 am

Michsi wrote:
Because him getting beaten within an inch of his life wouldn't be enough to get that point across? :)
Or at least let him have his fight with Shisami before killing them both off so unceremoniously.
In the movie, Gohan is only one-shotted by Freeza, who he couldn't beat anyway even if he did trained. And it wouldn't be enough since Gohan literally made the same mistake as the Buu Saga. So Gohan deserved everything he got in Resurrection 'F' and Piccolo, as usual, paid for Gohan's slacking off.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:51 am

Whatever wrote:Piccolo has been going downhill since the buu arc.
What the buu saga did not do to bring his character down,was done by GT and the anime version of the ROF arc.
In the BOG arc he did nothing like all the others.
In the U6 arc his one victory was taken and given to somebody else,neither his teamates or opponent gave any shit for him.
In the FT arc,despite having like only 3 minutes of screentime he was used pretty well,thats how he should have been used in the buu saga.
In the recruitment arc,he got a whole episode where he beat up Gohan in all of his forms and thats the best treatment he had got post cell saga.
Current arc he is gohan's meatshield.

In the FT and recruitment arc he has done better because by the U6 arc they have done everything bad they could do to him.
So the only way for him to go was to go up,with the current arc he can go low again now that he got a little something from the previous 2 arcs,which is what they seem to be doing with him being Gohan's meatshield and all.
I just can't take any comment serious if it mentions the phrases 'Gohan's meatshield' or 'Gohan's babysitter". Also I can't take a comment that mentions the word fodder seriously since to me it says that that person does not understand a battle royale and rhe general rules of the tournament. All of you just do this to try and mock characters and try and be funny when it does not even make any sense.

Gohan is no more relevant then Piccolo, and Gohan went completely missing for 2 arcs and because he gets screen time in the recruitment arc which was basically him getting his arse beat up every time you all seem to think he is as relevant as Goku. As soon as many of you saw Gohan on the first poster many of you immediately said ' he is going to be super relevant' and 'he is going to win it'.

Why does Gohan get called relevant when he hasn't even done anything yet. It is Gohan you should be mocking a d not Piccolo since Piccolo has done nothing wrong in the tournament at all.

Piccolo is in the same category as Cabba, Toppo, Universe 4 bugs, Universe 6 Namekians, Frieza in that they haven't done much so I do not understand these type of comments.
Michsi wrote:
I still think this is the biggest offender when it comes his treatment in Super. I'm honestly curious to know why they went with this. The bitter pragmatist in me thinks they did this to cut costs -no need to animate another fight sequence, just have him die. And that wasn't well animated either. I mean, I seriously hope it wasn't because they thought fans would react better to him sacrificing himself again. Yes, Piccolo and Gohan's bond is well loved in this franchise, yes, people like seeing how much they care for each other, but this scene did a disservice to both of them imho.

About 80% of this Piccolo and Gohan crap is Toei and not Toriyama. This is why I just ignore it and I am confident in Toriyama's script that Gohan and Piccolo are not as connected as Toei are trying to make these 2 in the arc. Episode 103 is an example of this where they split up to fight and had no connection to each other.

Piccolo would have beat Frost and Frost even said it.
HeroR wrote:
That initial training came to nothing and Piccolo was back to mocking him in the Future Trunks arc. After arc is done Gohan will probably end up going back to what he was like before.