Do you feel that my boy Piccolo is being screwed?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Whatever
Regular

Re: Do you feel that my boy Piccolo is being screwed?

Post by Whatever » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:29 am

Asura wrote:Piccolo has been treated horribly in Super. A lot of people think he was treated horribly in the Buu arc but I think he was treated quite well. He was way weaker than the Saiyans but was still extremely useful with Gotenks and orchestrating everything after Goku left.

But in Super he's just been treated like an arm dispenser. Like, literally his signature trait in Super is having his limbs blown off, he does nothing else. Considering the very, very little amount of focus he's gotten this entire arc (never even got an episode dedicated to him, every episode he was in with Gohan was more of a Gohan episode) he's likely to receive the Tien treatment and go out sacrificing himself. Who knows, it could even be next episode considering we see Gohan getting beaten up and everyone knows that the arm dispenser's only use is to stand in front of Gohan over and over again. He's been reduced to a human shield. Or in this case a Saiyan shield. Pathetic.

He desperately needs the Roshi treatment, maybe we'll get it next arc. Probably not. But hey, it could be worse. He could be Buu.
How he was treated very well in the Buu arc?Outside of being reduced to a babysitter,everytime he did anything positive the narrative undid it or it was pointless,his only usefullness was being Gotenks straight man.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:30 am

What's to be expected? Toriyama can't even devise a way to put Piccolo into a meaningful role beyond acting as Gohan's surrogate father and sacrificial barrier. About all he's done since Super's beginning is futilely attack Beerus, grab Whis' wrist, defeat some nondescript minions of Freeza's, get overwhelmed by Tagoma, train some with an out of practice Base Gohan, mount an admittedly impressive resistance against Frost, record himself performing the Mafuba which proved valuable to Trunks, train some more with Gohan, use one of his most powerful attacks in a practice match only to have it resisted by Base Goku, stay in a close knit formation with the other expendables (Gohan excluded), defeat a minor participant in Murisam, and tactically resist being torn apart by Prum. Besides a few rare gems scattered throughout those events, Piccolo's presence has been immaterial to the story.

I do want to think that more will be offered to him like Namekiansaiyan is proposing. However, a radical change in his positioning through something like Namekian assimilation with the two members of Universe 6 sounds farfetched at best. Toei has managed to destroy our expectations time and again. Who would have thought that Ribrianne would be fighting Goku and not Vegeta or #17? You could perhaps argue that Piccolo has assumed the role occupied by Tenshinhan during Z -- a relic from an earlier era who shows up on occasion to use what few worthwhile talents he has so he can make a minor contribution to the effort. I vehemently disagree with that line of thinking, but Toei and Toriyama aren't exactly doing their best to dispel those interpretations.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:37 am

Michsi wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote:
Michsi wrote:It's not so much about the fight itself, but about the quality. I have no doubt he will get his own turn as the focus of one episode, but how good that episode will be is

Give me some credit here, I am at least 5% positivity. The TOP so far hasn't been that bad for him, but most of the apprehension comes from the arcs before that. It's been 100 episodes and he's done virtually nothing of note.

I keep saying, I really hope we're wrong and you're right, and they'll give us something great with him.
I actually don't mind Piccolo sitting in the background for now as the numbers are getting smaller which will mean he will be involved in the big fights.
Lionel wrote:What's to be expected? Toriyama can't even devise a way to put Piccolo into a meaningful role beyond acting as Gohan's surrogate father and sacrificial barrier. About all he's done since Super's beginning is futilely attack Beerus, grab Whis' wrist, defeat some nondescript minions of Freeza's, get overwhelmed by Tagoma, train some with an out of practice Base Gohan, mount an admittedly impressive resistance against Frost, record himself performing the Mafuba which proved valuable to Trunks, train some more with Gohan, use one of his most powerful attacks in a practice match only to have it resisted by Base Goku, stay in a close knit formation with the other expendables (Gohan excluded), defeat a minor participant in Murisam, and tactically resist being torn apart by Prum. Besides a few rare gems scattered throughout those events, Piccolo's presence has been immaterial to the story.

I do want to think that more will be offered to him like Namekiansaiyan is proposing. However, a radical change in his positioning through something like Namekian assimilation with the two members of Universe 6 sounds farfetched at best. Toei has managed to destroy our expectations time and again. Who would have thought that Ribrianne would be fighting Goku and not Vegeta or #17? You could perhaps argue that Piccolo has assumed the role occupied by Tenshinhan during Z -- a relic from an earlier era who shows up on occasion to use what few worthwhile talents he has so he can make a minor contribution to the effort. I vehemently disagree with that line of thinking, but Toei and Toriyama aren't exactly doing their best to dispel those interpretations.
Your second sentence is Toei and not Toriyama.

You say Piccolo has not done much but neither has Gohan and many people have already underestimated and overestimated characters in this arc. You can't really moan about his treatment when he has not even featured that much in the tournament.

Regarding the Namekians he is going to benefit from them either directly or indirectly as I am assuming they are either Piccolo's level or higher so Piccolo either fuses or has the potential to become stronger naturally so he wins either way even if he does not fight them. As a Piccolo fan, Saonel and Pilina are the only thing I am concentrating on regarding when it comes to Piccolo and they is why I am not really that concerned.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:14 am

Whatever wrote:
Asura wrote:Piccolo has been treated horribly in Super. A lot of people think he was treated horribly in the Buu arc but I think he was treated quite well. He was way weaker than the Saiyans but was still extremely useful with Gotenks and orchestrating everything after Goku left.

But in Super he's just been treated like an arm dispenser. Like, literally his signature trait in Super is having his limbs blown off, he does nothing else. Considering the very, very little amount of focus he's gotten this entire arc (never even got an episode dedicated to him, every episode he was in with Gohan was more of a Gohan episode) he's likely to receive the Tien treatment and go out sacrificing himself. Who knows, it could even be next episode considering we see Gohan getting beaten up and everyone knows that the arm dispenser's only use is to stand in front of Gohan over and over again. He's been reduced to a human shield. Or in this case a Saiyan shield. Pathetic.

He desperately needs the Roshi treatment, maybe we'll get it next arc. Probably not. But hey, it could be worse. He could be Buu.
How he was treated very well in the Buu arc?Outside of being reduced to a babysitter,everytime he did anything positive the narrative undid it or it was pointless,his only usefullness was being Gotenks straight man.
I guess it comes down to personal taste, and while I too wish he had been given a more combat based role, he wasn't half bad. I used to be completely disappointed with this arc but after re-reading it, I realized it was much better than I first thought, specifically his role. You can tell Toriyama had a blast making the Gotenks fight and it was made better by Piccolo being there. I still think Piccolo face-palming is one of the greatest panels in the entire manga. Gotenks might have been the powerhouse and a loose cannon, but it was Piccolo that was more or less in charge. He is left all alone to deal with a volatile monster that could wipe out everything in the blink of an eye and an overpowered buffoon. You're right that his efforts ended up being for naught, but the ride wasn't bad.

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:27 am

Michsi wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote:
Michsi wrote:It's not so much about the fight itself, but about the quality. I have no doubt he will get his own turn as the focus of one episode, but how good that episode will be is the issue here. What they'll choose to highlight, how far they'll go with his power. How well animated it will be. Compare ep. 106 to 107 and you can see a clear difference in execution and reception.

Also, why would Piccolo get the Tien treatment? well, why did Tien get the Tien treatment? Why did they throw Piccolo out of the U6 tournament arc so bluntly and unceremoniously after getting us all hyped about his participation? Toriyama's himself is no guarantee for him getting a better treatment, his complete non-fighting role in the Buu Saga was his idea after all.
People have good reasons to be anxious. Our fears may end up being completely unfounded, but they're there for now.
Good treatment for a character for most people is having good fights and getting elinations

Everyone on this forum apart from me seems to be 100% fear and 0% positivity. The thing I hate aboit what they done so far is he has only had 115 second fight that ended with him Piccolo getting an elimination. They could have at least gave us one more fight with him that had no one losing just so we could get to see him fight. The special will end with the 14th episode of the tournament and most likely Piccolo would have only had that 15 second fight. That is just ridiculous especially since the number of fighters left will probably be in the twenties.
Give me some credit here, I am at least 5% positivity. The TOP so far hasn't been that bad for him, but most of the apprehension comes from the arcs before that. It's been 100 episodes and he's done virtually nothing of note.

I keep saying, I really hope we're wrong and you're right, and they'll give us something great with him.
I'm 50% positive with toei it's either hit or miss.
Michsi wrote:
Whatever wrote:

I guess it comes down to personal taste, and while I too wish he had been given a more combat based role, he wasn't half bad. I used to be completely disappointed with this arc but after re-reading it, I realized it was much better than I first thought, specifically his role. You can tell Toriyama had a blast making the Gotenks fight and it was made better by Piccolo being there. I still think Piccolo face-palming is one of the greatest panels in the entire manga. Gotenks might have been the powerhouse and a loose cannon, but it was Piccolo that was more or less in charge. He is left all alone to deal with a volatile monster that could wipe out everything in the blink of an eye and an overpowered buffoon. You're right that his efforts ended up being for naught, but the ride wasn't bad.
I agree it was not that much bad.Even if it was non combative it was still the most important role outside combat.
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

supercat
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by supercat » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:13 am

Roshi looked like he put up a better right against Frost than Piccolo did. :lol:

One, he wasn't running away and hiding, and two he actually had Frost looking a bit worried. Oh and three he actually tried to fight him, unlike Piccolo who really didn't do much other than run around and charge his attack.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:16 am

supercat wrote:Roshi looked like he put up a better right against Frost than Piccolo did. :lol:

One, he wasn't running away and hiding, and two he actually had Frost looking a bit worried. Oh and three he actually tried to fight him, unlike Piccolo who really didn't do much other than run around and charge his attack.
Roshi got his ass-handed to him as soon as he got in close quarters and really didn't have any sort of extensive plan to defeat Frost. Piccolo's performance was far more convincing as Frost actually had to cheat his way out of the situation.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:19 am

I think Piccolo is safe at least until the Universe 6 namekians show up. I think they're supposed to be his last stop this arc.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

supercat

Post by supercat » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:19 am

JazzMazz wrote:
supercat wrote:Roshi looked like he put up a better right against Frost than Piccolo did. :lol:

Roshi got his ass-handed to him as soon as he got in close quarters and really didn't have any sort of extensive plan to defeat Frost. Piccolo's performance was far more convincing as Frost actually had to cheat his way out of the situation.
Piccolo didn't once try to actually fight him. Piccolo was also fresh and had the advantage of facing a Frost who had just received a huge beating from Goku. Roshi, in his exhausted state had to face off against a stronger Frost who was fresh. He actually had Frost looking worried for a bit. If Frost were fresh, he probably would have knocked Piccolo out with one attack or slipped out of his grip.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:24 am

supercat wrote:
JazzMazz wrote:

Piccolo didn't once try to actually fight him. Piccolo was also fresh and had the advantage of facing a Frost who had just received a huge beating from Goku. Roshi, in his exhausted state had to face off against a stronger Frost who was fresh. He actually had Frost looking worried for a bit. If Frost were fresh, he probably would have knocked Piccolo out with one attack or slipped out of his grip.
Eh.

I still think that Piccolo had a more convincing chance of beating Frost in the anime, Roshi was just completely screwd and outmatched.

supercat

Post by supercat » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:26 am

JazzMazz wrote:
supercat wrote:
JazzMazz wrote: Roshi got his ass-handed to him as soon as he got in close quarters and really didn't have any sort of extensive plan to defeat Frost. Piccolo's performance was far more convincing as Frost actually had to cheat his way out of the situation.
Eh.

I still think that Piccolo had a more convincing chance of beating Frost in the anime, Roshi was just completely screwd and outmatched.
If you feel that way, I can respect that. But in my opinion, Piccolo looked far worse. He was told by Goku he stood no chance and he didn't bother getting in a hand to hand scuffle because he probably knew he'd get destroyed. Plus he was fresh while Frost was severely weakened. Here, Roshi was severely weakened and Frost was not only fresh but he was a lot stronger.

JazzMazz
I Live Here

Post by JazzMazz » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:35 am

supercat wrote:
JazzMazz wrote:
supercat wrote:
Eh.

If you feel that way, I can respect that. But in my opinion, Piccolo looked far worse. He was told by Goku he stood no chance and he didn't bother getting in a hand to hand scuffle because he probably knew he'd get destroyed. Plus he was fresh while Frost was severely weakened. Here, Roshi was severely weakened and Frost was not only fresh but he was a lot stronger.
It's unclear exactly how much Frost was weakened.

Outside of the Mafuba, I don't see any other way Roshi could have been Frost in a straight fight. Piccolo strategy would have worked on Frost regardless of what condition he was in.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:37 am

supercat wrote:
JazzMazz wrote:
supercat wrote:
Eh.

Roshi was never going to win, while Piccolo was, simple as that is the difference and we can tell you are finding anything you can to try and mock Piccolo when there is nothing to find.
Chuquita wrote:I think Piccolo is safe at least until the Universe 6 namekians show up. I think they're supposed to be his last stop this arc.
If Piccolo beats them then he will have at least 1 more fight after that.

supercat

Post by supercat » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:41 am

JazzMazz wrote:
supercat wrote:
JazzMazz wrote: Eh.

It's unclear exactly how much Frost was weakened.

Outside of the Mafuba, I don't see any other way Roshi could have been Frost in a straight fight. Piccolo strategy would have worked on Frost regardless of what condition he was in.
I'm not saying Roshi had better strategy, or that he had a higher chance of ringing out Frost. I'm saying he looked better in terms of power, as all Piccolo did was run away and try to win with a fully charged attack. It's like he didn't even bother throwing a punch because he knew it'd be futile. Frost was severely weakened after his fight with Goku.

Here, Roshi was the one that was weakened, while Frost was fresh. If Frost were fresh against Piccolo, Piccolo probably wouldn't have even lasted as long as he did.

supercat

Post by supercat » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:43 am

namekiansaiyan wrote:
supercat wrote:
JazzMazz wrote: Eh.

Roshi was never going to win, while Piccolo was, simple as that is the difference and we can tell you are finding anything you can to try and mock Piccolo when there is nothing to find.
Chuquita wrote:I think Piccolo is safe at least until the Universe 6 namekians show up. I think they're supposed to be his last stop this arc.
Well it wasn't Piccolo's strength that almost got him the win. That's for sure. It was strategy, against a severely weakened Frost. Here a severely weakened Roshi had to fight a fresh Frost. That's nowhere near the same playing field, and Roshi still had Frost looking a bit worried. Can't recall Piccolo doing that until he grabbed Frost, which again, happened to a severely weakened Frost.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:44 am

JazzMazz wrote:Outside of the Mafuba, I don't see any other way Roshi could have been Frost in a straight fight. Piccolo strategy would have worked on Frost regardless of what condition he was in.
I'm still a little puzzled how Piccolo planned to beat Frost with that strategy and not kill him. Charging a special beam cannon that long would surely blow a hole right through him. :eh:

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:47 am

supercat wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote:
supercat wrote:
Well it wasn't Piccolo's strength that almost got him the win. That's for sure. It was strategy, against a severely weakened Frost. Here a severely weakened Roshi had to fight a fresh Frost. That's nowhere near the same playing field, and Roshi still had Frost looking a bit worried. Can't recall Piccolo doing that until he grabbed Frost, which again, happened to a severely weakened Frost.
Don't even try and say Roshi has power anywhere near Piccolo. Roshi is the weakest on the team but is skillful.
BlueBasilisk wrote:
JazzMazz wrote:Outside of the Mafuba, I don't see any other way Roshi could have been Frost in a straight fight. Piccolo strategy would have worked on Frost regardless of what condition he was in.
I'm still a little puzzled how Piccolo planned to beat Frost with that strategy and not kill him. Charging a special beam cannon that long would surely blow a hole right through him. :eh:
It wouldn't kill him immediately probably but maybe about 10 seconds later so technically if Frost was to be thrown at the ring before dying then Piccolo would not have broken the rules.
Last edited by namekiansaiyan on Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

JazzMazz
I Live Here

Post by JazzMazz » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:49 am

supercat wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote:
supercat wrote:
The thing is though, we have no idea how much Frost was weakened exactly. Also, I still think it would go a similar way if they encountered each other again, as both have gotten considerably stronger since their last encounter.

supercat

Post by supercat » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:58 am

namekiansaiyan wrote:
supercat wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote:

Don't even try and say Roshi has power anywhere near Piccolo. Roshi is the weakest on the team but is skillful.
At this point I wouldn't even know where to place Roshi. But if they suddenly decided to have him stronger than Piccolo, I wouldn't really care, since neither of them would be relevant on the power scale against fighters like Goku, Vegeta, Android 17, and Frieza. Goku was actually impressed with Roshi yet he never once really said anything of that sort about Piccolo, even after tanking a fully charged attack from Piccolo.

Roshi the weakest? I believe Tien, one of the most pathetic characters to have existed probably takes the role as the weakest member on the team.

Roshi has better feats, and he completely humiliated Tien, though that's not really a big feat at all, given how often that happens.

I don't see how anyone could even like Tien.

JazzMazz
I Live Here

Post by JazzMazz » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:01 am

supercat wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote:
supercat wrote:
At this point I wouldn't even know where to place Roshi. But if they suddenly decided to have him stronger than Piccolo, I wouldn't really care, since neither of them would be relevant on the power scale against fighters like Goku, Vegeta, Android 17, and Frieza. Goku was actually impressed with Roshi yet he never once really said anything of that sort about Piccolo, even after tanking a fully charged attack from Piccolo.

Roshi the weakest? I believe Tien, one of the most pathetic characters to have existed probably takes the role as the weakest member on the team.

Roshi has better feats, and he completely humiliated Tien, though that's not really a big feat at all, given how often that happens.

I don't see how anyone could even like Tien.
He was an interesting character in Dragonball?