Do you feel that my boy Piccolo is being screwed?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lionel
I Live Here

Re: Do you feel that my boy Piccolo is being screwed?

Post by Lionel » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:30 pm

Piccolo has been on a downward spiral ever since he reassimilated Kami and the Room of Spirit and Time was unveiled. There were no more personal avenues he could touch on to bolster himself up to levels comparable with the Saiyans since the only other Namekian worth their salt was Nail and his newly fused counterpart quickly got overtaken by the Saiyans anyway in the same arc. It's a shame because Piccolo was one of the last remaining characters with a uniquely aesthetical design about him that give some distinction next to the platinum spiked spartans that began to multiply in numbers at the beginning of the Cell arc. Since then it's been "Saiyan transformation this and hidden Saiyan potential that". In that respect, Toriyama and Toei seem like they're grievously unimaginative. No, some hollowed out caricatures with scarcely any personality or screen time like Buu don't count. The only recent overarcing additions to the cast that I find seriously interesting are Hit and to a lesser extent Cabba and Magetta. You can't carry the franchise on their backs or the backs of some fresh-faced flavour of the arc, though.

What I find ironic is how at his lowest point in viability Piccolo has begun to exhibit more of the traits that people ascribe to him as having like intuitiveness and technique variety. When he was at DBZ peak in the Cell arc, his fighting style was very cookie-cutter with little distinguishing it from the other characters. It's still largely the same thanks in no small part to the general simplified nature of combat in the show. I mean it's not like you find a practitioner of a certain martial arts style like Muay Thai fighting against a grapple expert from Brazilian Jiujitsu. In Piccolo's case, he has begun to exhibit more of the classic moves that set him part like his ability to elongate portions of his body and attack with his antennae. It gives him better range and variety in method of attack compared to someone who only has two arms and legs for combat.

The even sadder fact is that Piccolo's situation could easily be allayed if they gave enough of a heck to offer him the present tools available like God Ki and, you know, the obvious elephant in the room which is Kaioken. Seriously, the biggest setback for the non Saiyans is Toriyama and Toei forgetting, ignoring, or not comprehending that those fighting elements can be prescribed to others that don't project spiked colourful hair.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:36 pm

omaro34 wrote:It takes me a long time to lose hope, but I really am. He's been severely mishandled but it is what it is. I'm not expecting anything good from Piccolo anymore. And someone else got it right, if his inevitable elimination is similar to Tien's then that should be a nail in the coffin for anybody who still believes that Piccolo will be relevant plot wise and make a good contribution to the story in the future. Just won't happen.

His mistreatment has my interest in Super a bit down, though not fully because I do like other characters. But it's partly why I'm not posting as frequent as I used to.
How has Piccolo been mishandled in this arc? Is this just coming from him protecting Gohan in episode 106? Why would Piccolo go out like Tien or why would anyone else go out like Tien did?

The recruitment episodes Piccolo actually got more than was needed as he is a fighter wanting to fight strong opponents and is in good fighting shape so he does not need any screen time at all apart from saying yes to Goku.

Piccolo not getting screen time in the first 10 episodes is not a bad thing as Cabba, Frost, Frieza, Toppo, Saonel, Pilina and Universe 4 bugs have not been involved that much either or in some cases not at all.

I would say Piccolo might get some eliminations in epiaodr 108 due to Gohan being mentioned in the summary and I assume Piccolo is there and we know that 4 more fighters have to fall before episode 109.

If the Saonel and Pilina are good fighters then Piccolo in theory Piccolo should have a good future.
omaro34 wrote:
I just wish they would get Piccolo to be his own guy and not have his fate consistently attached to Gohan. It drives one crazy sometimes.
It is Toei and not Toriyama who does this crap with Piccolo. Piccolo was not with Gohan at the Universe 6 tournament as Gohan was not there. A lot of the Gohan and Piccolo moments this arc you can tell Toriyama had no involvement and juat remember the only time Piccolo and Gohan had fighting action in this arc they both seperated to fight. Gohan is fighting Jimeze but Piccolo does not seem to be involved in that fight so he must be doing something else and if he does not vey involved then I don't the think the script from Toriyama has that much Gohan and Piccolo in it at all.
Lionel wrote:
The even sadder fact is that Piccolo's situation could easily be allayed if they gave enough of a heck to offer him the present tools available like God Ki and, you know, the obvious elephant in the room which is Kaioken. Seriously, the biggest setback for the non Saiyans is Toriyama and Toei forgetting, ignoring, or not comprehending that those fighting elements can be prescribed to others that don't project spiked colourful hair.
Let's wait and see if the Universe 6 Namekians have anything that can be useful for Piccolo.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:43 pm

supercat wrote:This is a series where power plays a huge role, so of course I prefer to see stronger fighters over a bunch of weaklings running around each other, hiding, and looking petrified every time they get near each other. Frieza and Android 17 came back with major power ups, something Piccolo, despite all his training had not really been able to get. From an in-universe perspective, that's pathetic. He's not nearly as pathetic as Tien, but still pathetic. Ugh why even have him shake hands with Android 17, he's way out of his league. I know they fought and all in the past, but in no way is Piccolo worthy of being Android 17's rival in my opinion.
Again, seems pretty restrictive. Would you suddenly start liking Piccolo if he got a boost from out of nowhere and became the strongest character? Because that's what it seems like. I understand liking powerful characters because of all their effort to become strong, I get that, that's the major appeal behind characters like Goku and Vegeta. But the power-ups Freeza and #17 went through were completely devoid of merit. So it seems to me like you don't like powerful characters because their position in the power pole is cathartic after their character arcs, but more-so because they're just powerful and that's it.

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:38 pm

On the point of Piccolo and 17, I loved their handshake but yeah, their "bromance" is sort of overrated. Goku has more of a bromance with 17.

As for Piccolo, it really would be easy to make him an A-lister again but they clearly don't have any care to do that at the moment.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:29 pm

supercat wrote:
JazzMazz wrote:
supercat wrote:I would hate to see Piccolo fighting the new Namekians, as it would mean they are basically as weak and pathetic as he is. The only time they should fight is if one of the new Namekians just flick him out of the ring and scoff him off as a weakling before facing off against Goku, Vegeta, Android 17, or Frieza. Having opponents that are SSB-tier would also show they are quite powerful themselves.

Fighting Piccolo, using ugly attacks, running away, playing more hide and seek will only devalue these potentially awesome characters. Piccolo is basically nothing at this point, and I would hate to see the new Namekians tossed into the same pile of trash as him.

And to answer your question, both Piccolo and Tien have similar fighting styles. The kind of battle I find to be a waste of time to even watch. I would much rather see one of the four universe 7 fighters I mentioned above (Goku, Vegeta, Android 17, and Frieza). The four of them have so much to offer compared to insignificant weaklings like Tien, who basically was showcased in the most humiliating fashion and Piccolo, a weakling who makes very little progress despite all that training. Maybe he actually would have learned a thing or two if he actually had more confidence to train with Goku and Vegeta. Then perhaps, he wouldn't have been humiliated like that against Frost. So pride-less, just like Tien, who also decided not to use the RoSaT back in the Cell saga. But then again, Piccolo smiling about a fodder like Tien saving him instead of criticizing himself for his own weakness just shows how little he thinks of himself.
Yes Piccolo has ugly attacks in comparison to Vegeta amazing techniques such generic ki blasts, and charging at an opponent only to get knocked on his ass, or the best of all, screaming some stupid bullshit about his power and dickriding himself which totally isn't a negative and annoying character trait. It's almost like Vegeta is regressive character thats gone back to his Cell saga self.

Piccolo, at this point, has the potential to have more interesting fights than Vegeta if they write him properly and with some sort of dignity.
Piccolo and dignity don't really go hand in hand. The guy smiles when a weakling like Tien rescues him, when he should have been scoffing and saying he didn't need any help. And he didn't even blame himself for letting such a useless wimp save him. Until Piccolo shows he could be as harsh and prideful as he once was, he's nothing more than a watered down version of his former self, that's basically lost any cool aspect to his personality to that parasitic half of his.
Being prideful and arrogant or negative character traits, though that might make a character more entertaining, in Vegeta's case, it did nothing but make him more insufferable, namely due to how many times he needed to be saved by characters he thought were weaker than him.

Also, I don't know if you've noticed, but Vegeta has stopped being an insufferable asshole to people who save his life in the Buu arc. Thats completely fine, as it shows his progression as a character by having him overcome his negative character aspects with more positive ones like gratitude and kindness. Having a character returning back to a previous state for no reason but to "look cool", is character regression which makes viewers unable to sympathize with him as his forgotten lessens that he had previously learnt.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:47 am

Jigurashi wrote:On the point of Piccolo and 17, I loved their handshake but yeah, their "bromance" is sort of overrated. Goku has more of a bromance with 17.

As for Piccolo, it really would be easy to make him an A-lister again but they clearly don't have any care to do that at the moment.
Why don't we wait until we see what the Namekians have to bring the series which could help Piccolo.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:58 am

Lionel wrote:Seriously, the biggest setback for the non Saiyans is Toriyama and Toei forgetting, ignoring, or not comprehending that those fighting elements can be prescribed to others that don't project spiked colourful hair.
And lessen the gap between Amazing Badass Saiyans and non-Saiyan garbage? Psaw, don't be ridiculous.

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:19 am

Piccolo has been doing fine so far in this arc
Defeated one u10 strongest fighters
Beaten gohan twice
Still in the game
Compared to before its a step up
Given the u6 nameks haven't been seen yet in the show I expect piccolo to do something with them

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:32 pm

Guys...I'm scared Piccolo is getting the Tien treatment. Granted he's already a bit better due to KOing one person...but I'm scared.

Piccolo could be eliminated any time. My boy Piccolo...

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:45 pm

precita wrote:Guys...I'm scared Piccolo is getting the Tien treatment. Granted he's already a bit better due to KOing one person...but I'm scared.

Well he isn't my boy. On another note, I wouldn't be quick to assuming he's going soon, and hopefully he'll get some more screen time but away from Gohan as him being around Gohan in this tournament makes both characters worse.

Ziegander
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ziegander » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:05 pm

It's just really sad to me to see that Piccolo is being absolutely, thoroughly outgunned and over-represented by the new u6 saiyans. It just... I would say it doesn't make sense, but that's not really fair since they're from a different universe, but to see that Cabba a u6 SSJ1 is being given preferential treatment and seemingly much more power than Piccolo makes me sad. It's "clear(?)" to me that Caulifla is on another level from Piccolo, again, hammering in that coffin nail that Piccolo is just not going to be useful moving forward.

We see Toppo fighting Cabba next episode. Not that I expect Cabba to be a real challenge, but I had hoped we'd see Piccolo last long enough to fight Toppo. No, I didn't expect Piccolo to be a tooth-and-nail challenge for either, seeing how SSB Goku faired against him, but I was hoping Piccolo would get to fight, and be eliminated by, one of the real, serious powerhouses of the tournament, at the very least. At this rate, I'm sure he'll just be eliminated by one (both?) of the u6 namekians. They seem enamored by this concept of keeping u6 and u7 at a competitor parity for a while yet so far, I mean they established that they both had the leading number of competitors in this episode and then had a u7 competitor willingly ring themselves out before they died (despite a death being more advantageous overall from a coldly calculating standpoint), just to keep them even again by the end of the episode (u6 lost Magetta). I don't know, I wasn't expecting anything good from Piccolo after Tien's elimination and I'm expecting even less now, if this episode (It was great, don't get me wrong) is any indication of the overall narrative structure they are planning.
My Full Rewrite of the Moro Arc

I've begun a full-scale re-write of the Tournament of Power! Here's Ch. 1, here's Ch.
, and here's Ch.
3!

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:06 am

I feel like at this point my cynicism and low expectations act as a sort of self-defense mechanism against dissapointment. :lol: The namekians are now the only remaining life-line for his role in this arc, but that could end up being a dud too. Considering just how much they love revamping old moments, I wouldn't be surprised if they're aiming to recreate another 17 vs. Piccolo match with Saonel. I keep thinking that 17 doesn't really have a designated opponent and he's been hyped up pretty intensely.

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:24 am

Piccolo has been treated horribly in Super. A lot of people think he was treated horribly in the Buu arc but I think he was treated quite well. He was way weaker than the Saiyans but was still extremely useful with Gotenks and orchestrating everything after Goku left.

But in Super he's just been treated like an arm dispenser. Like, literally his signature trait in Super is having his limbs blown off, he does nothing else. Considering the very, very little amount of focus he's gotten this entire arc (never even got an episode dedicated to him, every episode he was in with Gohan was more of a Gohan episode) he's likely to receive the Tien treatment and go out sacrificing himself. Who knows, it could even be next episode considering we see Gohan getting beaten up and everyone knows that the arm dispenser's only use is to stand in front of Gohan over and over again. He's been reduced to a human shield. Or in this case a Saiyan shield. Pathetic.

He desperately needs the Roshi treatment, maybe we'll get it next arc. Probably not. But hey, it could be worse. He could be Buu.

blackbewhite2k7
Not-So-Newbie

Post by blackbewhite2k7 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:32 am

precita wrote:Guys...I'm scared Piccolo is getting the Tien treatment. Granted he's already a bit better due to KOing one person...but I'm scared.

Tien Knocked two people out of the arena...One working with Roshi and the other having beaten himself and then taken out along with him after being tricked

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:35 am

Asura wrote:Piccolo has been treated horribly in Super. A lot of people think he was treated horribly in the Buu arc but I think he was treated quite well. He was way weaker than the Saiyans but was still extremely useful with Gotenks and orchestrating everything after Goku left.

But in Super he's just been treated like an arm dispenser. Like, literally his signature trait in Super is having his limbs blown off, he does nothing else. Considering the very, very little amount of focus he's gotten this entire arc (never even got an episode dedicated to him, every episode he was in with Gohan was more of a Gohan episode) he's likely to receive the Tien treatment and go out sacrificing himself. Who knows, it could even be next episode considering we see Gohan getting beaten up and everyone knows that the arm dispenser's only use is to stand in front of Gohan over and over again. He's been reduced to a human shield. Or in this case a Saiyan shield. Pathetic.

He desperately needs the Roshi treatment, maybe we'll get it next arc. Probably not. But hey, it could be worse. He could be Buu.
More like he could be Tenshinhan. Boo got shafted, by I'd still argue he was treated more respectfully than Tenshinhan.

DainIronfoot
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DainIronfoot » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:43 am

Jigurashi wrote:
Asura wrote:Piccolo has been treated horribly in Super. A lot of people think he was treated horribly in the Buu arc but I think he was treated quite well. He was way weaker than the Saiyans but was still extremely useful with Gotenks and orchestrating everything after Goku left.

More like he could be Tenshinhan. Boo got shafted, but I'd still argue he was treated more respectfully than Tenshinhan.

Indeed. Buu at least had a great showing in the exhibition matches. Poor Tien didn't even throw one punch, literally. I'm curious though if Piccolo's shining moment will be with the U6 Nameks.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:40 am

Michsi wrote:I feel like at this point my cynicism and low expectations act as a sort of self-defense mechanism against dissapointment. :lol: The namekians are now the only remaining life-line for his role in this arc, but that could end up being a dud too. Considering just how much they love revamping old moments, I wouldn't be surprised if they're aiming to recreate another 17 vs. Piccolo match with Saonel. I keep thinking that 17 doesn't really have a designated opponent and he's been hyped up pretty intensely.
Why would Piccolo get the Tien treatment? He has had 1 15 second fight but that does not mean he will not get anymore. Do you honestly think Toriyama is only going to give Piccolo 1 elimination from a 15 second fight and that is it and ultimately do less than Krillin, Roshi and Tien? 17 could face Saonel but there is no way Piccolo is not going agaisnt the Namekians especially as 1 looks exactly like him.

I also don't know how an episode and a preview not featuring Piccolo has caused all these negative comments and since Piccolo, Saonel and Pilina have basically done nothing they are not going anywhere soon.
Last edited by namekiansaiyan on Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:00 am

It's not so much about the fight itself, but about the quality. I have no doubt he will get his own turn as the focus of one episode, but how good that episode will be is the issue here. What they'll choose to highlight, how far they'll go with his power. How well animated it will be. Compare ep. 106 to 107 and you can see a clear difference in execution and reception.

Also, why would Piccolo get the Tien treatment? well, why did Tien get the Tien treatment? Why did they throw Piccolo out of the U6 tournament arc so bluntly and unceremoniously after getting us all hyped about his participation? Toriyama's himself is no guarantee for him getting a better treatment, his complete non-fighting role in the Buu Saga was his idea after all.
People have good reasons to be anxious. Our fears may end up being completely unfounded, but they're there for now.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:23 am

Michsi wrote:It's not so much about the fight itself, but about the quality. I have no doubt he will get his own turn as the focus of one episode, but how good that episode will be is the issue here. What they'll choose to highlight, how far they'll go with his power. How well animated it will be. Compare ep. 106 to 107 and you can see a clear difference in execution and reception.

Also, why would Piccolo get the Tien treatment? well, why did Tien get the Tien treatment? Why did they throw Piccolo out of the U6 tournament arc so bluntly and unceremoniously after getting us all hyped about his participation? Toriyama's himself is no guarantee for him getting a better treatment, his complete non-fighting role in the Buu Saga was his idea after all.
People have good reasons to be anxious. Our fears may end up being completely unfounded, but they're there for now.
Good treatment for a character for most people is having good fights and getting elinations

Everyone on this forum apart from me seems to be 100% fear and 0% positivity. The thing I hate aboit what they done so far is he has only had 115 second fight that ended with him Piccolo getting an elimination. They could have at least gave us one more fight with him that had no one losing just so we could get to see him fight. The special will end with the 14th episode of the tournament and most likely Piccolo would have only had that 15 second fight. That is just ridiculous especially since the number of fighters left will probably be in the twenties.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:15 am

namekiansaiyan wrote:
Michsi wrote:It's not so much about the fight itself, but about the quality. I have no doubt he will get his own turn as the focus of one episode, but how good that episode will be is the issue here. What they'll choose to highlight, how far they'll go with his power. How well animated it will be. Compare ep. 106 to 107 and you can see a clear difference in execution and reception.

Good treatment for a character for most people is having good fights and getting elinations

Everyone on this forum apart from me seems to be 100% fear and 0% positivity. The thing I hate aboit what they done so far is he has only had 115 second fight that ended with him Piccolo getting an elimination. They could have at least gave us one more fight with him that had no one losing just so we could get to see him fight. The special will end with the 14th episode of the tournament and most likely Piccolo would have only had that 15 second fight. That is just ridiculous especially since the number of fighters left will probably be in the twenties.
Give me some credit here, I am at least 5% positivity. The TOP so far hasn't been that bad for him, but most of the apprehension comes from the arcs before that. It's been 100 episodes and he's done virtually nothing of note.

I keep saying, I really hope we're wrong and you're right, and they'll give us something great with him.