Do you feel that my boy Piccolo is being screwed?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

supercat
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Do you feel that my boy Piccolo is being screwed?

Post by supercat » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:13 am

JazzMazz wrote:
supercat wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote:
Don't even try and say Roshi has power anywhere near Piccolo. Roshi is the weakest on the team but is skillful.
At this point I wouldn't even know where to place Roshi. But if they suddenly decided to have him stronger than Piccolo, I wouldn't really care, since neither of them would be relevant on the power scale against fighters like Goku, Vegeta, Android 17, and Frieza. Goku was actually impressed with Roshi yet he never once really said anything of that sort about Piccolo, even after tanking a fully charged attack from Piccolo.

Roshi the weakest? I believe Tien, one of the most pathetic characters to have existed probably takes the role as the weakest member on the team.

Roshi has better feats, and he completely humiliated Tien, though that's not really a big feat at all, given how often that happens.

I don't see how anyone could even like Tien.
He was an interesting character in Dragonball?
Definitely a lot better than he is now or was in Z, but I was never a fan of him. I just feel he doesn't really have a place on the team anymore. He's probably by far the weakest, and he doesn't even have anything to offer strategy-wise. Roshi on the other hand, could rely on great strategy without having to run away, hide, or look petrified, and I don't think that's something Tien can really do.

Off topic, but Vegeta trying to save Roshi twice was awesome. Just shows how far he's come as a character. Also great how he seems to genuinely care for Roshi. We need more times like that with Vegeta and some of the other characters. And it was just as cool seeing Roshi respect and care for Vegeta as well.

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:41 pm

JazzMazz wrote:
supercat wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote:
Don't even try and say Roshi has power anywhere near Piccolo. Roshi is the weakest on the team but is skillful.
At this point I wouldn't even know where to place Roshi. But if they suddenly decided to have him stronger than Piccolo, I wouldn't really care, since neither of them would be relevant on the power scale against fighters like Goku, Vegeta, Android 17, and Frieza. Goku was actually impressed with Roshi yet he never once really said anything of that sort about Piccolo, even after tanking a fully charged attack from Piccolo.

Roshi the weakest? I believe Tien, one of the most pathetic characters to have existed probably takes the role as the weakest member on the team.

Roshi has better feats, and he completely humiliated Tien, though that's not really a big feat at all, given how often that happens.

At least for me, "was" is the keyword here. Ten isn't interesting anymore to me. He even lost the one thing he had going for him (to me) after he stopped being an interesting character: providing interesting fights. He stopped getting fights in Z, and then when he gets them in Super, they aren't interesting to watch imo.

omaro34

Post by omaro34 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:55 pm

supercat wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote:
supercat wrote:
Well it wasn't Piccolo's strength that almost got him the win. That's for sure. It was strategy, against a severely weakened Frost. Here a severely weakened Roshi had to fight a fresh Frost. That's nowhere near the same playing field, and Roshi still had Frost looking a bit worried. Can't recall Piccolo doing that until he grabbed Frost, which again, happened to a severely weakened Frost.

What's the purpose of bringing up how in your eyes Roshi put up a better fight against Frost than Piccolo did? It's obvious you have an agenda and some vendetta against Piccolo and Tien for that matter.

You've stated your opinion numerous times. We get it. To you Piccolo is weak and pathetic. But you sound like a broken record, and after each episode where Piccolo doesn't even make an appearance you still try to find a way to say the same old nonsense.

Try to talk about another aspect of Dragonball for a change, just a suggestion.

We know who the top guys are. And by the way, your precious Vegeta got sucked into a Mafuba jar and if it weren't for Roshi he would have been finished. How can the mighty prince have been so careless?

I don't know what hurts the Napoleon pride more, getting saved by an old man or dying in a humiliating fashion on Namek against Freeza who dictated everything in your life till that point and killed your people.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:50 pm

Jigurashi wrote:
JazzMazz wrote:
supercat wrote:

At least for me, "was" is the keyword here. Ten isn't interesting anymore to me. He even lost the one thing he had going for him (to me) after he stopped being an interesting character: providing interesting fights. He stopped getting fights in Z, and then when he gets them in Super, they aren't interesting to watch imo.
Roshi was also a has been, but they managed to re-invigorate his character in this tournament despite the fact he did nothing in Z.

supercat

Post by supercat » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:56 pm

omaro34 wrote:
supercat wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote:

What's the purpose of bringing up how in your eyes Roshi put up a better fight against Frost than Piccolo did? It's obvious you have an agenda and some vendetta against Piccolo and Tien for that matter.

You've stated your opinion numerous times. We get it. To you Piccolo is weak and pathetic. But you sound like a broken record, and after each episode where Piccolo doesn't even make an appearance you still try to find a way to say the same old nonsense.

Try to talk about another aspect of Dragonball for a change, just a suggestion.

We know who the top guys are. And by the way, your precious Vegeta got sucked into a Mafuba jar and if it weren't for Roshi he would have been finished. How can the mighty prince have been so careless?

I don't know what hurts the Napoleon pride more, getting saved by an old man or dying in a humiliating fashion on Namek against Freeza who dictated everything in your life till that point and killed your people.
Piccolo may not have made an appearance, but I felt it was worth discussing since this is an opponent that Piccolo fought in a very debatable battle. I just thought it was interesting that Roshi appeared to have given Frost a bit more of a challenge. This may not have been the case in-universe, but it sure did seem like it. And by the looks of it, it seems a few others also agree with that.

Yes, I'm pretty sure most fans know who the top fighters are. If you haven't noticed, I don't really talk about how powerful Vegeta is. And this is purely because it's a pretty known thing that doesn't really need any reiteration. People often seem talk as if Piccolo is this master strategist whose skills can't be rivaled, and I highly disagree, and feel it's always fun and interesting to debate about. The power gap between him and an exhausted Frost is probably way way lower than the power gap between a completely exhausted Roshi and a fresh, stronger than before Frost, yet Roshi had the courage to actually try to battle Frost hand to hand, something Piccolo went out of his way not to do. So of course to someone who doesn't know Dragon Ball, Roshi would look stronger given all those circumstances.

I actually thought Vegeta's collaboration with Roshi was really cool. It not only showed how much he's changed, but that he does actually care about some of the other Z-fighters. He did apparently try to save Roshi twice. And even though it was Roshi who ended up saving Vegeta, Vegeta still got the last laugh by scaring Frost away and knocking out one of universe 6's more challenging fighters to defeat. So in a sense, he got to redeem himself.

Believe it or not, I'd actually love to see Piccolo power up and catch up to SSB-tier contenders like Goku, Vegeta, Android 17, and Frieza. I feel he has potential to be great, and not just some fodder who goes grocery shopping.

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:14 pm

JazzMazz wrote:
Jigurashi wrote:
JazzMazz wrote: He was an interesting character in Dragonball?
Roshi was also a has been, but they managed to re-invigorate his character in this tournament despite the fact he did nothing in Z.
I've always been neutral on Roshi, but my opinion of him as gone up, while I've grown more and more apathetic towards Tenshinhan. Roshi got a really great deal this saga. He ended up being one of the few U7 fighters I've enjoyed seeing on-screen this saga (the others being Freeza, Goku, and Gohan > During the Recruitment arc only for Gohan though).

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:58 pm

I'm honestly surprised how poorly Piccolo is treated. Never expected him to get just as bad treatment as the humans. At the moment he's handled worse than them except maybe Tien, and the only way he could redeem himself is if he gets a lot of KO's before going down. If they have him take down two Nameks and maybe some other character, maybe it'll be enough.

But I'm worried.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:48 pm

precita wrote:I'm honestly surprised how poorly Piccolo is treated. Never expected him to get just as bad treatment as the humans. At the moment he's handled worse than them except maybe Tien, and the only way he could redeem himself is if he gets a lot of KO's before going down. If they have him take down two Nameks and maybe some other character, maybe it'll be enough.

But I'm worried.
It looks like we will have 5 more episodes without Piccolo based on spoilers.

It has to be his turn next to take out some weaker opponents even though there is not many left.

Many people's opinions of his treatment so far come from him not doing anything in the tournament so far and that could easily change especially as some 'big' players could be going out very soon.

When you think about it all 3 Namekians have been neglected.

Overall, I think everything is ok with Piccolo right now.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:58 pm

I would settle with Piccolo using his magical abilities to do what was proposed some time back. You know, create some kind of manoeuvrable apparatus that can put some distance between himself and the arena. Without Krillin around to use his Kienzan, the aim of destroying the arena would fall on the shoulders of someone else. Although with how inconsistent the structural integrity of the arena has been, maybe Piccolo himself could destroy the entire ring with his Light Grenade.

Who needs overwhelming power when you can introduce your opponents to the void below?

Alternatively, if Toei and Toriyama conceived of the idea to reuse the Mafuba, it's possible Piccolo could singlehandedly defeat Jiren, Toppo, or any number of power opponents. But then how would that be visually exiting to the audience? Piccolo going around using the Mafuba to seal everyone away while tossing the containers down over the side would be dull in relation to a climactic battle proving who is the most powerful.

Zagacious
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zagacious » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:16 pm

I feel Namekians should have access to god ki just as easily as Saiyans do. Some Namekians have shown power far above Saiyans during Saiyan saga and that's without access to advanced training methods like the Z Fighters have. They've been shown in the past to have powers similar to that of what Angels have: creation of matter, healing abilities, and the association with Dragon Balls. I think it's a waste if they don't eventually give Piccolo god ki even if it's much after the Top.

They could introduce these new Namekians having unlocked god ki and being relatively close to the level of power given by SSB, but I doubt they will do that. They could come in telling Piccolo that he doesn't even realize his potential. They will most likely be fodder unfortunately, and that's also an indirect insult to Piccolo if they do that. Piccolo's not my favorite character but he has unique abilities and I won't find it as interesting if it's just the Saiyans who can access god ki.

I also think the humans should have access to god ki, not putting them near SSB level or anything just putting them at a level they can compete somewhat universally, but that's just me wanting more characters to be useful. It shouldn't be easily attainable, but perhaps potential unlocked by Grand Priest/Zeno or something, or through intense meditation with Whis.