Sometimes do you wish that Super's anime was using the manga as a true source?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

superfan2024
Regular

Sometimes do you wish that Super's anime was using the manga as a true source?

Post by superfan2024 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:14 pm

Sometimes, I like the Super anime's decisions, and sometimes, I just don't. Now now now people, this isn't a complaint thread, this is just an idea thread. But the real point of the thread is, what if Super's anime used the manga as a base or a source for it's arcs like a normal anime would? Sure, Toei has a huge history with Dragon Ball, but I don't think that it's history is enough to convince me that they are fully able to handle Super. Power-scaling is sometimes a mess, and sometimes the story just goes all over the place or doesn't make sense because of it's writing. This even happened in Z fillers which were made by Toei (Gohan going head to head with full-form Frieza, as well as Gohan vs Vegeta once they were teleported back to Earth, with Vegeta then flying away eventually to be sitting right back in the same position the next episode with Gohan even offering a handshake as if nothing ever happened). Now, I am not saying that Super's manga doesn't have it's own plot inconsistencies or power-scaling issues, but we all know for a true fact that it has less plot inconsistencies and power-scaling issues than Super's anime.

Also, I know this has been said many times, but i'm going to say it again: Toriyama physically and literally supervises Toyotaro's storyboards on the manga panel by panel, while even adding his own changes/additions as well to it. This is one of the reasons why I trust and why I am more of a fan of Super's manga as well. Super's manga to me also get's more of the Dragon Ball feel to it imo. Now, I am not saying that Super's anime doesn't get any supervision from Toriyama or that it doesn't have the Dragon Ball feel to it, but i'm trying to say that the manga has more of both than the anime, and the latter is my opinion.

Super's anime actually used it's manga as a reference during the beginning of the U6 arc, with examples like Piccolo realizing why Saiyans love their feisty women so much. That scene was nearly identical from the manga to the anime.

Although eventually, the manga's production was too slow and the anime went ahead of it. Toyotaro once said that the manga would eventually catch up again, but there wasn't a specific date. We can assume that the manga has caught up in the Universal Survival Arc since we've seen panels from it's trailer (who knows if it was actually part of the manga or if it was a promotional thing), and since the anime is using some of the manga's attributes, such as the on and off Super Saiyan God to Super Saiyan Blue maneuver.

Anyways, i'm not picking sides for either the anime or manga, and this wasn't a thread for arguments. I was just asking if you guys ever wished that Super's anime used the manga as a source for it's arcs.

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Sometimes do you wish that Super's anime was using the manga as a true source?

Post by Boo Machine » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:24 pm

Only in some cases. An animated version of the Goku vs Botamo fight, would have been way better than what we got in the anime. I wish the anime had the Goku vs Merged Zamasu fight at the end of the mangas version of the Future trunks arc. Also the scene of Goku and Vegetas last stand against the army of Zamasu would have been cool animated. Even If I didn't like the army of Zamasu to being with. And of course the use of SSJG earlier would have been neat, especially if they were going to end up using it anyway.

So Mostly just for a few moments here and there.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

sintzu
Banned

Re: Sometimes do you wish that Super's anime was using the manga as a true source?

Post by sintzu » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:48 pm

I'd like something that combines the 2 cause both have things I wish the other had.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:54 pm

I'm still waiting for an anime adaptation of the original DB/Z that strictly follows the manga, let alone how vastly different the versions of Super are.

Yomi
Regular

Post by Yomi » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:55 am

I don't want the anime to be a re-thread of Toyataro's Manga, I think the Manga's U6 tournament better; However, Toyataro handled the Future Trunks arc very poorly.

1: There was so little focus on Trunks' character
2: The Future World, wasn't developed in the slightest.
3: Goku Black wasn't intimidating, or charismatic.

When we look at the anime version, all of these things are reversed. I know there is a happy medium somewhere between Logical(Toyataro) and Emotional(Toei). If Toyataro were used as some type of consistency filter for Toei, I believe this show could be critically successful. They need each other.I don't believe one is automatically better than the other.

This is just my interpretation of how this works, I don't believe anything I've said here is concrete.
:clap:

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:02 am

No. But I'd prefer just one version period, and I don't care if it's the anime or the manga. I don't like the fandom discourse that having two versions brings.

MaskedRider
Banned

Post by MaskedRider » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:20 am

Yes and No. There are things that the anime and manga both do right and wrong, I think it better that they are their two separate products.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:39 am

Not entirely. The manga is good is providing exposition when needed and giving a good linear scale of where character stack up in terms of strength, and those aspects are certainly lacking when it matters in the anime. But at the same time, the manga doesn't do enough to draw you in emotionally, through providing enough character evolution, or developing the world around it to make the small moments seem much grander once the narrative progresses, like the anime can.
Duo wrote:I'm still waiting for an anime adaptation of the original DB/Z that strictly follows the manga, let alone how vastly different the versions of Super are.
This guys gets it.

Torturephile
Regular

Post by Torturephile » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:28 am

Some things the anime did better (fun characters and slice of life material); some things the manga did better (consistency and logic for the most part).
From Super episode 113 thread:
MaskedRider wrote:
Torturephile wrote:
hunduel wrote:I liked this episode. I seriously don't know why people hate it.
namekiansaiyan wrote:I seriously don't see why some of you like this episode when nothing happened and was basically filler.
The fandom in a nutshell.
The duality of man.

Basako
Advanced Regular

Post by Basako » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:38 am

Sure, I'd love if they followed it as much as possible. It's a pity we didn't get all those cool fights animated, plus Black SS and Vegeta SSG in color. I prefer the characterizations and the story version of the manga too, which is great, specially the Zamasu arc, except the ending.
Heno heno kappa!

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:42 pm

No, I prefer that they each do their own thing. I don't like the ridiculous shitflinging that happens because of there being two versions but that's on the fandom, not the source. I do feel like Toei's writers and Toyotaro should perhaps consult each other and bounce ideas a bit more than they do, as there are occasionally events in one version that would work to the benefit of the other (Goku seeing Beerus use Hakai on Zamasu in the anime but using it in the manga being one such example).

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:29 pm

Maybe the treatment of the Pilaf Gang, and making Shin more relevant to the plot, thats it.

Goku vs Merged Zamasu in the manga felt very forced, it was giving off DBGT vibes.

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:14 pm

sintzu wrote:I'd like something that combines the 2 cause both have things I wish the other had.
Essentially this for me.

Rubens
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rubens » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:55 pm

Yeah, I wished both sources were the same too. I already find annoying enough the discussions about DB/Z anime additions over the manga and even more so with Super; with it being produced separately, it's even worse. I can't say, however, that I would want the anime to follow the manga, since there are aspects of it that I personally dislike: the champa arc was overall better in the anime, except for Goku vs Hit, I think the manga did better; the beggining of future Trunks's arc was better in the anime, the battle in the future was better in the manga - despite the power scale inconsistency and that I still don't like the idea of swapping between ssjgod/ssjblue - but the very end, with fused Zamasu, was bad in both sources, at least for me.
I'm back!

Lurking around here since 2014. Just an old fan who regained his passion for Dragon Ball since then.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:55 pm

If it was entirely Toriyama sure. As it stands...not particularly. Both have their moments.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:07 pm

No. We had that back in the early U6 arc, and all it did was make me less interested in the anime until they branched out
Both versions being different is way more entertaining