What will happen the day Akira Toriyama (God Forbid) Passes away?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: What will happen the day Akira Toriyama (God Forbid) Passes away?

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:29 am

There will be a sustained period of mourning, and the franchise will continue to produce material without his specific influence.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:43 am

I second the sustained period of mourning.

After that though:
DBHeroes will take over everything. So much Brolli, lots of new, Toei style transformations.

Hopefully that's a long, long while away though.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:55 am

Saikyo no Senshi wrote:Dragon Ball could probably be over before that. There's only so much you can milk before it runs dry. I think that point is coming very soon. 2-3 years tops and the burnout phase will hit unless there's some drastic changes which I don't see the current producers having the balls to do so.

The only thing left that I would like to see is a next generation story. Also, by focusing on non-Nozawa voiced characters, the producers will have to not worry about finding a replacement for an iconic voice. That problem can be solved.

In conclusion, I see two scenarios with either of them being a possibility. 1) DBS ends 2019 or 2020 at best with a final hurrah for all the original staff involved, Toriyama included and that's it. 2) They move to next generation with new staff from top to bottom and totally freshen up this franchise. No Gokuu and No Toriyama.

If unfortunately any of the major players pass away before DBS ends, they can always kickstart the next gen plans immediately. That's what I think will happen.
This is what I hope happens. Super can't go on forever, and once it ends the most logical choice is for Nozawa to step down. Now, as for Toriyama, I hope he will stick on and supervise an eventual new serie, while providing some ideas. He's not that old, he could still be helpful.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:26 am

Re: Super

I'd be good with them doing two more arcs and then calling it quits. I don't want this tournament to be the end. I want to see Super go off on a more impressive and plot involved story.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Totamo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Totamo » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:28 pm

Ilikepictures-meh wrote:
Totamo wrote:
Saikyo no Senshi wrote:Dragon Ball could probably be over before that. There's only so much you can milk before it runs dry. I think that point is coming very soon. 2-3 years tops and the burnout phase will hit unless there's some drastic changes which I don't see the current producers having the balls to do so.

The only thing left that I would like to see is a next generation story. Also, by focusing on non-Nozawa voiced characters, the producers will have to not worry about finding a replacement for an iconic voice. That problem can be solved.

In conclusion, I see two scenarios with either of them being a possibility. 1) DBS ends 2019 or 2020 at best with a final hurrah for all the original staff involved, Toriyama included and that's it. 2) They move to next generation with new staff from top to bottom and totally freshen up this franchise. No Gokuu and No Toriyama.

If unfortunately any of the major players pass away before DBS ends, they can always kickstart the next gen plans immediately. That's what I think will happen.
Dragon ball already did a next gen story and her name was Pan.

Guess what, she is considered one of the worst parts of GT and not many like GT to begin with.
Statements like these make no sense. While Pan and GT has a fair amount of critics, they also have many supporters as well.
Also more importantly, since GT seemingly has no relavence as far as the main continuation of the story is concerned, Pan , along with others for the "new generation" could be easily reintroduced and handled very differently, having an entirely different personality/character in the process. So disliking GT version of Pan wouldn't even matter.
I have seen many supporters for GT but not a single one for Pan. Gt has a fair amount of support like I side but if you are going to tell me its the popular opinion to hate it, you are lying to me.

Second of all, you missed the point. It was tried, it failed. Toei has already gotten criticism for messing with current characters and people like those charcters, do you really think they can handle a new gen. Characters who people will already go in hating?

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:35 pm

If it helps any, episodes are written months in advance, while the "basic plot outline" by the great man himself exists even longer, (on which the episodes are based) and Super is also over 100 episodes rich already, that said, i don't think he will "pass away" anytime soon, and even in the extremely unlikely event that he does pass away, i think Toei (at this point, with over 30+ years of experiencing with the great man himself). Definitely knows about Toriyama's ideas and preferences for plot, character design etc. They will most likely try to continue the show in his line of spirit.

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:48 pm

I hope they finish everything thats in production/in the pipeline/finish any story arc they are in the middle of. Then once that's done they let it rest, for real, for ever. Toyotaro draws a final piece of art to honour the legend.

That being said, and please don't crucify me for this, with all the new product that has come out it seems Dragon Ball has almost suceeded Toriyama with how little involvement he seemingly has and he basically passed a major torch to his successor Toyotaro already.

avasatu
Beyond Newbie

Post by avasatu » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:41 am

Toyo exists, and was appointed successor for a reason.

snpaa
Not-So-Newbie

Post by snpaa » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:44 am

Toriyama is not that involved with series outside of writing a bare bones outline, character design and supervision. The quality of the show would just get a little bit worse with toei at full control .

Arugela
Beyond Newbie

Post by Arugela » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:09 am

FortuneSSJ wrote:We will revive him.
Zombie Toryiama!!! What will he write!?

One day Goku and Beerus try an exotic recipe for brains. They get hooked!

Could gain an interesting cross genre feel.

Boy, that man loves his job!
My fan art:
Brolly Gohan Fusion!: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=38826
Uubeerus fusion: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=39923
Dende theme: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=39750

Zenoh might be waygu/kobe Beef!?: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40055
GT theory: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=40001

ChronoTwigger
Advanced Regular

Post by ChronoTwigger » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:08 am

They will use the franchise name to create alternative stories and remakes.
The same that is going on with Batman, Superman, Terminator, Robocop... whatever.
DB as you know will end, but maybe a DB 2 will see the light with a total new cast and different premises.
I learned english listening to songs. So I don't know anything about. The day you had to learn play piano by just listening .mp3, you'll understand.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:14 am

ChronoTwigger wrote:DB as you know will end, but maybe a DB 2 will see the light with a total new cast and different premises.
If they have a different cast and premise then it won't be DB anymore.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Arugela
Beyond Newbie

Post by Arugela » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:56 am

sintzu wrote:
ChronoTwigger wrote:DB as you know will end, but maybe a DB 2 will see the light with a total new cast and different premises.
If they have a different cast and premise then it won't be DB anymore.
It will as long as they don't change the title. There is no character so attached a dub or other things don't have alternative actors. They can find new voices that are similar. They are attached internally but it's not guaranteed, outside of their choices, that nothing could replace them. They got new voices for things like Kermit the frog and others who are infinitely more iconic than dragon ball and it moved on. Even with only one Hensen living(After two generations) it still went on voice actor changes and all. I don't see why with only one voice actress playing Goku in only the Japanese and all the popular dubs like the English people think we can't get new stuff. It's pretty likely. There are probably other people working in voice acting or who will be who can do his voice pretty similarly. I'm sure the voice actress has gotten sick and sounded different at times. It's probably more varied than an alternative would sound.

As long as they do a good job I don't see how it wouldn't or couldn't be seen as honoring the old people involved ton continue on. Over time the writing may get better and the story improve. Maybe one day it will be interesting like the original DB was.
My fan art:
Brolly Gohan Fusion!: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=38826
Uubeerus fusion: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=39923
Dende theme: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=39750

Zenoh might be waygu/kobe Beef!?: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40055
GT theory: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=40001

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:13 pm

Arugela wrote:They can find new voices that are similar.
I thought you meant new cast as in replacing Goku and the others with new characters. :oops:

I fully agree that the voices can be replaced and it can be done well. I'll go as far as to say that they already have Nozawa's replacement on stand by in case she can't continue for whatever reason.

JazzHands

Post by JazzHands » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:10 pm

IF GT is an indication that what we will get from Toei. Goku all the time and everyone else fighting in base forms and you wonder why they dont transform. If Toei hands it over to Toyotaro maybe hes learned enough from Akira to respectfully move DB forward. Toyotaro before was a Sayain happy fan boy. He made DB AF. So SS form happy SS5 SS6 SS10 crap would happen. Maybe hes matured and understand Toriyamas characters better. DB is not the same when you exclude all the characters and just have Goku,Vegeta and Gohan constantly transforming.

DragonBallLove
Beyond Newbie

Post by DragonBallLove » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:16 pm

sintzu wrote:
Arugela wrote:They can find new voices that are similar.
I thought you meant new cast as in replacing Goku and the others with new characters. :oops:
You can very well do that, and any series with screaming, glowing, hair color changing superwarriors who train their asses off at 100 gravities and destroy planets, in a setting with wish-granting orbs, while still beign shonen-whimsical and humoristic can be still called Dragonball. Heck, you can even change one or two of the basic premises for a given series or sub-franchise. Digimon have survived more or less healthy for many years with this formula, and is also a Bandai / Toei / Shueisha related franchise, that is targeted more or less to the same demography and have the same hourly niches (I'm not sure on this one but I guess I'm right).

I don't say this would be of good taste, classy, cool or even mediocrily good; it could be pure toy-selling garbage for all we know. But is not an impossible route for them to follow.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:09 pm

DragonBallLove wrote:You can very well do that, Digimon have survived more or less healthy for many years with this formula.
As far as I know Digimon was like that from the start where each season will have a different cast of characters and new story, DB on the other hand has been the story of Goku and his friends from start till now. It'll be hard to go from that to something completely different like what Digimon does.

Kanious
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kanious » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:28 pm

What makes me fear most is not the death of Toriyama himself, but of Masako Nozawa. We all know how Japan respects the voice actors, and she is already 80. I've heard that it is not uncommon to end series when the voice actor of the MC's dies...

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:13 pm

Kanious wrote:What makes me fear most is not the death of Toriyama himself, but of Masako Nozawa. We all know how Japan respects the voice actors, and she is already 80. I've heard that it is not uncommon to end series when the voice actor of the MC's dies...
DB isn't just a series, it's an international franchise with countless companies and millions of $$$ involved. The death of a voice cast member will not stop it. This doesn't mean she or anyone else isn't important, just that the franchise is bigger than one person.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:14 pm

No, Dragonball was not designed to run forever. It isn't Pokemon.

Dragonball was designed to have an ending. The merch like the toys/videogames can go on forever of course, that's what happened from 1996-2013 before the series was revived.