Let's nip this in the bud early, Roshi was not withstanding Frost's attacks

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

precita
Banned

Let's nip this in the bud early, Roshi was not withstanding Frost's attacks

Post by precita » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:29 pm

Roshi is not on Super Saiyan 2-3 or whatever level Frost is on now.

Frost said in the episode he was pulling all his punches, and most likely energy beams. We know Frost is somewhere around Super Saiyan 2 level given Piccolo couldn't beat him last time, and Frost is likely stronger now on SSJ3 level. So no, Roshi does not have the power of a Super Saiyan 2-3.

Discuss.

LowRyder2005
Advanced Regular

Re: Let's nip this in the bud early, Roshi was not withstanding Frost's attacks

Post by LowRyder2005 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:32 pm

What do you have against the "Strength Thread"? There hasn't been any biting or physical injuries... at least not yet.
Last edited by LowRyder2005 on Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:35 pm

Frost said he was holding back so as to not to kill him. However, Frost isn't even up to the Super Saiyan strength of the current Saiyans. It seems quite likely that Roshi is able to surprise Frost momentarily when he bulked up, considering the humans aren't too far off from the base Saiyans themselves.

Piccolo got stronger than Frost as far as we know.

But yes, strength thread.

supercat
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by supercat » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:25 pm

As the others have pointed out, there is another thread where these types of discussions can take place.

When you say SSJ2 / SSJ3, do you mean said transformations from Z? Having said that, I feel Frost is far beyond that of any SSJ3 from Z and is probably able to solo the entire Buu saga.

As for Roshi, one can argue that he in his exhausted state did a lot better than a fresh Piccolo against a stronger AND fresh Frost. Piccolo didn't even bother getting into a scuffle with Frost because he probably knew he was outclassed. He just kept running away and charging his attack. Roshi, who yes, was outclassed, did manage to push Frost back with his aura, and give him some trouble with his combo of punches. Frost looked quite worried, and this is something Piccolo was not able to do in his battle against a much weaker Frost.

Was Frost holding back? Probably. But that would mean he probably held back against Piccolo quite a bit too since tournament rules applied then as well. And again, he was injured and severely exhausted while Piccolo was fresh.

Not trying to start a debate on where Roshi stands, but it is kind of funny he sort of had a better showcasing against Frost than Piccolo did. From an out-of-universe perspective, if I knew nothing about powerlevels, I would assume Roshi is stronger than Piccolo. Just goes to show Piccolo is probably in the same pile of trash as that useless Tien.

Vice
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Vice » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:13 pm

supercat wrote:As for Roshi, one can argue that he in his exhausted state did a lot better than a fresh Piccolo against a stronger AND fresh Frost.
No, the only one trying to make this stupid argument is you.

ssbgoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ssbgoku » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:47 pm

supercat wrote:As the others have pointed out, there is another thread where these types of discussions can take place.

When you say SSJ2 / SSJ3, do you mean said transformations from Z? Having said that, I feel Frost is far beyond that of any SSJ3 from Z and is probably able to solo the entire Buu saga.

As for Roshi, one can argue that he in his exhausted state did a lot better than a fresh Piccolo against a stronger AND fresh Frost. Piccolo didn't even bother getting into a scuffle with Frost because he probably knew he was outclassed. He just kept running away and charging his attack. Roshi, who yes, was outclassed, did manage to push Frost back with his aura, and give him some trouble with his combo of punches. Frost looked quite worried, and this is something Piccolo was not able to do in his battle against a much weaker Frost.

Was Frost holding back? Probably. But that would mean he probably held back against Piccolo quite a bit too since tournament rules applied then as well. And again, he was injured and severely exhausted while Piccolo was fresh.

Not trying to start a debate on where Roshi stands, but it is kind of funny he sort of had a better showcasing against Frost than Piccolo did. From an out-of-universe perspective, if I knew nothing about powerlevels, I would assume Roshi is stronger than Piccolo. Just goes to show Piccolo is probably in the same pile of trash as that useless Tien.
It still means nothing as Frost was taking it much more serious in u6 even in his weakened state and against Picoolo from u6. One thing is sure, Roshi isn't shit against Namek arc Goku before zenkai, and that is pushing it

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:18 pm

Vice wrote:
supercat wrote:As for Roshi, one can argue that he in his exhausted state did a lot better than a fresh Piccolo against a stronger AND fresh Frost.
Hey doesn't have to make the argument, the episode did that. Let's just say you knew nothing about DB and watched both these fights who would you say performed better and was stronger?

Boo Machine

Post by Boo Machine » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:22 pm

TheMikado wrote:
Vice wrote:
Hey doesn't have to make the argument, the episode did that. Let's just say you knew nothing about DB and watched both these fights who would you say performed better and was stronger?
Both got their asses kicked pretty hard. Piccolo actually almost had the win if not for the cheating on Frosts part. Roshi was pummeled and tortured into the ground and would not have made it if not for Vegeta.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

TheOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheOne » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:13 pm

TheMikado wrote:
Vice wrote:
Unfortunately you'd have to say Roshi. And that's the problem. If you're someone who paid attention to every little detail in ODB and Z, you'd realize punches like what Frost did to Roshi would've been overkill.

I still recall Frieza destroying some of Nameks strongest fighters with a breath of air. Or Nail fighting Frieza and his punches not even affecting him.

Everyone is now 10,000x stronger and Roshi is able to take those kinda blows is just ridiculous. He's trading blows with someone who Piccolo couldn't even fight with. This is why some would say Super is a poor sequel to Z. They wanted to make the gap in power smaller so they could "use more stretgies" like other mangas/animes. That doesn't work well in Dragon Ball since you have to be close in the realm of power for a strategy to work. If they're overwhelmingly strong, Roshis attacks (aside from Mafuba) shouldn't even phase him.
Last edited by TheOne on Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
How i predict the tournament will end:

supercat

Post by supercat » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:19 pm

Vice wrote:
First of all, when I said "one can argue" I meant it as that this topic could be discussed subjectively, so whether or not I'm the only one trying to make this argument is irrelevant.

Secondly, a completely drained Roshi not only used his aura to push back a new-and-improved fresh Frost, he was able use his combo of punches to have Frost backing away looking stressed. The best thing a fresh Piccolo was able to do was run around and grab a severely exhausted Frost. So to sum it up, to someone who doesn't really know Dragon Ball, Roshi would probably look a lot stronger than Piccolo. The fact that Piccolo didn't even bother battling Frost hand to hand also supports this as well

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:21 pm

There is a dedicated thread for the analysis and discussion of character strengths.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)