The Mortal Above Gods is actually from... Universe 4!?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

The Mortal Above Gods is actually from... Universe 4!?

Post by AnimeNation101 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:26 am

Well, chapter 28 of the dbs manga has a conversation where Quitela says he is stronger than Beerus and Beerus says thats not true even if he beat him in an arm wrestling match. Here's the link: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DKMTCaHVYAAPHdF?format=jpg
Doesn't this mean that Universe 4 houses the mortal of legend? Is he or she even in the tournament? And if s/he isn't, why not?
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Duo
I Live Here

Re: The Mortal Above Gods is actually from... Universe 4!?

Post by Duo » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:20 am

No amount of stupidity or intoxication could make that source credible/believable.

supersaiyan1993

Post by supersaiyan1993 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:29 am

Yh it seems weird though. I don't have a clue who it can be

Majin Jator
Beyond Newbie

Post by Majin Jator » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:11 am

That would be an interesting development. Quitela seems to get on Beerus´ nerves, and many viewers guessed he was the one god who defeated him at a wrestling match.
More interesting, though, is how the two mysterious warriors were hyped during the recap of the last episode. I think it would be fun if the main antagonist happens to be neither Freeza or the dull Jiren. Maybe the pride trooper wil have to join forces with Goku.
We are going to get the Goku vs. Jiren match soon enough (another hint for some that he's not the main "villain"), so we'll see then.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:33 am

You can not come to the conclusion the mortal is from Universe 4 as we know:

1. Whis said there is a mortal in an universe who is stronger than their God of Destruction

2. The God of destruction iwho is weaker than the mortal is stronger than Beerus.

3. Beerus lost at an arm wrestling match to Quitela.

4. It was Beerus who mentioned the arm wrestling match and not Whis. Beerus is obviously embarrassed by this and could possibly think of Quitela first. Everyone assumes Whis was referring to Quitela but you cannot prove this to be true.

5. There are 12 Gods of Destruction.

This is all the information we know so for the mortal to be from Universe 4 you have to assume that Quitela is the strongest of all the 12 Gods and Beerus is second.

This would mean:

Mortal>Quitela> Beerus> The other 10 Gods

But from the information we know, we can not say what the strength of all 12 Gods is so it could easily be:

Mortal> Geene> Quitela> Beerus > The other 9 Gods

Or any other tier list.

Also, losing at an arm wrestling match does not mean you are weaker than the winner.
Last edited by namekiansaiyan on Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:37 am

Duo wrote:No amount of stupidity or intoxication could make that source credible/believable.
Lol, ok. Then go read chapter 28 of the manga.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:46 am

namekiansaiyan wrote:You can not come to the conclusion the mortal is from Universe 4 and we know:

1. Whis said there is a mortal in an universe who is stronger than their God of Destruction

2. The God of destruction iwho is weaker than the mortal is stronger than Beerus.

3. Beerus lost at an arm wrestling match to Quitela.

4. It was Beerus who mentioned the arm wrestling match and not Whis. Beerus is obviously embarrassed by this and could possibly think of Quitela first. Everyone assumes Whis was referring to Quitela but you cannot prove this to be true.

5. There are 12 Gods of Destruction.

This is all the information we know so for the mortal to be from Universe 4 you have to assume that Quitela is the strongest of all the 12 Gods and Beerus is second.

This would mean:

Mortal>Quitela> Beerus> The other 10 Gods

But from the information we know, we can not say what the strength of all 12 Gods is so it could easily be:

Mortal> Geene> Quitela> Beerus > The other 9 Gods

Or any other tier list.

Also, losing at an arm wrestling match does not mean you are weaker than the winner.
These were the exact words from Whis:
4:16 | Goku: Do you think our Universe 7 is sure to easily win?
4:18 | Whis: Who knows? I don't know that much about the other universes. However, there is a universe where lives a mortal that even a God of Destruction can't defeat. That God of Destruction happens to be stronger than Beerus-sama.
4:39 | Beerus: Don't go saying that. I only lost once at an arm wrestling match!

We are both wrong. Whis didn't say the mortal was stronger than the Gods of Destruction, he said "a" god of destruction as in one. And the god that is weaker than the mortal is stronger than Beerus. Then Beerus said the arm wrestling quote. This is what we know

Mortal > Quitela > Beerus

We don't know how he matches up with they other gods but the mortal could be stronger than most of them considering how Beerus is seemingly a top tier god.

We also don't know if the mortal if even actually from the same Universe as the God he or she is stronger than. They never really specified. Still if the mortal isn't from U4 i find it weird that they'd bring up the God from U4, but yeah, thats the whole situation.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:12 am

AnimeNation101 wrote:
Duo wrote:No amount of stupidity or intoxication could make that source credible/believable.
Have -you- even read the new chapter? Questionable, given that you're passing along a rough scanslation for the sake of proving...what? The two versions of Super are not beholden to one another, but what does it prove if "that" mortal is from Universe 4?

Arg
Beyond Newbie

Post by Arg » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:45 am

Insofar as the manga and anime are consistent with each other in terms of general outlines, then yes, it seems the mortal above Gods is indeed from universe 4 based on this revelation. Everything seems to hint at the two hidden warriors/insects.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:34 am

Arg wrote:Insofar as the manga and anime are consistent with each other in terms of general outlines, then yes, it seems the mortal above Gods is indeed from universe 4 based on this revelation. Everything seems to hint at the two hidden warriors/insects.
I doubt there will be 2 people exactly this strong from the same universe but maybe if one was stronger than the other but they are twins so I doubt it.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:47 pm

Duo wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:
Have -you- even read the new chapter? Questionable, given that you're passing along a rough scanslation for the sake of proving...what? The two versions of Super are not beholden to one another, but what does it prove if "that" mortal is from Universe 4?
CLEARLY i have. How is it a rough scanslation? The translations are trait from viz. The official website of the translated dragon ball super manga that all the youtubers use in their videos. Also, I'm not trying to prove anything. I'm just putting two and two together. Also the two versions of Super at the core are beholden to one another becuase both have Toriyama's key points.

Toyotaro is know for filling loose ends in the anime with the manga. If the wrestling statement was in both the anime and manga we can deduce that it was one of toriyama's key points. Toyotaro just filled us in on who the God was.

Also if you check out my post before this one, I already cleared it up that the mortal isn't necessarily from Universe 4. All Whis did was state that in a Universe lives a mortal stronger than a god of destruction. He did not say stronger than the universe's God of destruction. And again I'm not trying to prove anything. Just piecing stuff together with common sense. You are trying to make it something else because you want something to argue against. And, just a guess but, are you one of the people that believe's Jiren is the mortal above gods?

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:46 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:
Duo wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote: And, just a guess but, are you one of the people that believe's Jiren is the mortal above gods?
No, I'm against making conclusions for no reason other than to try to hold it over other people's heads. This whole "mortal above the gods" subject has already been beaten beyond death.

I don't even know how to respond to the rest of your post. It sounds like you're having a conversation with four different people and I'm not sure I'm even one of them. Are you even aware of the contents of the image you posted originally?

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:41 pm

Duo wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:
Duo wrote:
No, I'm against making conclusions for no reason other than to try to hold it over other people's heads. This whole "mortal above the gods" subject has already been beaten beyond death.

I don't even know how to respond to the rest of your post. It sounds like you're having a conversation with four different people and I'm not sure I'm even one of them. Are you even aware of the contents of the image you posted originally?
Was my post to complicated for you? Anyway the pic was half about how the Quitela is the god that beat Beerus in arms wrestling so the mortal must be from U4 (which as i said before, i not necessarily true) and the second part talked about the reason the gods hate Beerus or something of the sort.

So... are we done?

Arugela
Beyond Newbie

Post by Arugela » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:11 pm

I'm going out on a limb here. But, beerus and the mouse seem to be a literal tom and jerry theme.

1. I believe there were other cats or relatives in tom and jerry. So if it correlates which one would be uni 6 god.
2. Who would be the dog... I bet the mortal is a dog. Or is the GoD a dog and the mortal in the Dog GoD's universe...
3. The dog in tom and jerry always/often beat tom(the cat) in arm wrestling and showed his dominance. Not the mouse. Or was there some episode where this actually was reversed. (Could be based on a single episode then and be the mouse. I think such an episode occured.)

This might help explain it in the end. I think there is a definite theme though.

Only things I could find on the episodes so far....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJ4PUmaOZDw Could the two small creatures represent the two younger mice?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFyf6WIFJ5k Could this be the basis of Beerus and Champa?!

I think there is as much action in tom and jerry as in dragon ball! ><

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iRT_FZJEPU Action in every meaning of the word! 8d

http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Shu This is not the right dog.. Or is it!!!! 8o
There is no Dog GoD is there?! Have we seen a dog fighter yet that was not knocked out? Or in general.

Edit: I forgot, jiren was the guy in the black cloak... Why do we not think he's the mortal? rewatched that part. Maybe the GoD isn't stronger than beerus but just won an arm wrestling match? It still seems odd though. If it's the mouse universe then it's either the two little guys or the miniature grey buu. Maybe Jiren the grey is a grey herring!?
My fan art:
Brolly Gohan Fusion!: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=38826
Uubeerus fusion: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=39923
Dende theme: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=39750

Zenoh might be waygu/kobe Beef!?: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40055
GT theory: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=40001

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:41 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:Was my post to complicated for you? Anyway the pic was half about how the Quitela is the god that beat Beerus in arms wrestling so the mortal must be from U4 (which as i said before, i not necessarily true) and the second part talked about the reason the gods hate Beerus or something of the sort.

So... are we done?
As was already explained, you don't seem to be aware that what you posted was not actually from Viz's official English translation of the manga. It's a poorly-edited image constructed to get clicks to a Facebook page likely thrown together from a rough translation based off the (illegally-leaked) Korean scanlation ahead of the chapter's official release on September 21. I mean, "It was just an arm wrestling" isn't even a sentence. The first letters in sentences are not capitalized in sentences that are otherwise all-caps. Viz has errors here and there, but that's pretty bad.

(official Viz translation pasted atop the image you provided)

Your point about "and all the YouTubers use it" has nothing to do with anything, and I can't for the life of me figure out why you would even bother saying that. If I had to guess, you were grasping for something to back up your claims.

While it is unfortunately human nature to do so, please resist doubling-down on incorrect information when the facts are presented to you.

For the record, and I really dislike that I have to even say this these days, none of what I'm explaining here has anything to do with the actual content of the chapter or anyone's interpretation of the story and its events. Kanzenshuu is about facts, including (but not limited to) properly-translated information and legitimate sources. When something is pointed out to you as incorrect and illegitimate, please respect that and use it as an opportunity to learn.

That all being said, Duo could perhaps have explained some of that to begin with.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

PMD
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PMD » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:04 am

namekiansaiyan wrote:
Arg wrote:Insofar as the manga and anime are consistent with each other in terms of general outlines, then yes, it seems the mortal above Gods is indeed from universe 4 based on this revelation. Everything seems to hint at the two hidden warriors/insects.
I doubt there will be 2 people exactly this strong from the same universe but maybe if one was stronger than the other but they are twins so I doubt it.
I guess they could fuse, right? Like Avo and Cado or something like that. I think they're hyping those characters for a reason. All clues seems fair to at least consider that possibility.

Saturnine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Saturnine » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:07 am

The biggest problem with that whole thing is that on the one hand, the anime and the manga are supposed to be entirely separate continuities, but on the other hand sometimes we get a piece of the info in the anime and a piece in the manga, which can probably be pieced together.

Yes, in the anime Beerus does mention he did lose an arm wrestling match to some god. And in the manga, that god is revealed to be Quitela. I wonder if the anime staff rolls with it :D

Arugela
Beyond Newbie

Post by Arugela » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:40 am

I'm starting to wonder if quitela is weaker than he looks but has a mortal stronger than him. Not necessarily stronger than other gods. He could be the weakest GoD. It conspicuously said, "A GoD has a mortal he can't beat." If they are like tom and jerry also, he could likewise be much weaker than beerus just like the mouse weaker than the cat.
My fan art:
Brolly Gohan Fusion!: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=38826
Uubeerus fusion: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=39923
Dende theme: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=39750

Zenoh might be waygu/kobe Beef!?: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40055
GT theory: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=40001

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:26 am

supersaiyan1993 wrote:Yh it seems weird though. I don't have a clue who it can be
Just gonna say Shantsa for lolz cuz I'm liking it's design.

Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:14 am

VegettoEX wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:Was my post to complicated for you? Anyway the pic was half about how the Quitela is the god that beat Beerus in arms wrestling so the mortal must be from U4 (which as i said before, i not necessarily true) and the second part talked about the reason the gods hate Beerus or something of the sort.

So... are we done?
As was already explained, you don't seem to be aware that what you posted was not actually from Viz's official English translation of the manga. It's a poorly-edited image constructed to get clicks to a Facebook page likely thrown together from a rough translation based off the (illegally-leaked) Korean scanlation ahead of the chapter's official release on September 21. I mean, "It was just an arm wrestling" isn't even a sentence. The first letters in sentences are not capitalized in sentences that are otherwise all-caps. Viz has errors here and there, but that's pretty bad.

(official Viz translation pasted atop the image you provided)

Your point about "and all the YouTubers use it" has nothing to do with anything, and I can't for the life of me figure out why you would even bother saying that. If I had to guess, you were grasping for something to back up your claims.

While it is unfortunately human nature to do so, please resist doubling-down on incorrect information when the facts are presented to you.

For the record, and I really dislike that I have to even say this these days, none of what I'm explaining here has anything to do with the actual content of the chapter or anyone's interpretation of the story and its events. Kanzenshuu is about facts, including (but not limited to) properly-translated information and legitimate sources. When something is pointed out to you as incorrect and illegitimate, please respect that and use it as an opportunity to learn.

That all being said, Duo could perhaps have explained some of that to begin with.
...okee dokee