Why have 17 and 18 simply vanished?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kagari
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Why have 17 and 18 simply vanished?

Post by Kagari » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:32 pm

Nickolaidas wrote:Frieza was also gone for quite a few episodes. Aside from Goku, no other character needs to be on every episode.
Goku doesn't need to be in every episode either though.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:56 pm

I would prefer to see #18 get eliminated sometime soon. She's already exemplified herself considerably through her teamwork collaboration with Krillin and playing an important role in relieving the beleaguered Saiyans as they fought the Pride Troopers. It's more than what a good portion of the team have received. #17 seems poised to gain more, judging by promotional content and quotations by certain animators. Anyone can guess as to how long he'll remain in the tournament. Personally, my benchmark for him is now Ribrianne, assuming she survives next episode once Jiren appears on the scene. If she does, the possibility of a rematch between her and #17 will increase dramatically. I otherwise don't know when he'll finally be given his pivotal moment of the arc. I do suspect that it will be against one of the stronger fighters of the tournament.
Last edited by Lionel on Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:23 pm

Kagari wrote:
Nickolaidas wrote:Frieza was also gone for quite a few episodes. Aside from Goku, no other character needs to be on every episode.
I agree. But he's the protagonist and 'needs' to be in every episode, just like Spider-Man should be shown at least once in a comic issue of his.

Ilikepictures-meh
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ilikepictures-meh » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:28 pm

I hope 17 & 18 eliminate Kale and Caulifla before either gets taken out.
That's the battle I want to see along with Piccolo and Gohan vs U6 Namakians, Toppo vs Frieza, and Ribrianne vs Cabba or Dyspo.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:30 pm

Nickolaidas wrote:
Kagari wrote:
I agree. But he's the protagonist and 'needs' to be in every episode, just like Spider-Man should be shown at least once in a comic issue of his.
This more or less.

Personally I watch mainly to see what happens to Goku next. I like other characters and want them to shine, but I enjoy weekly Goku too.

What I do wish is that they used less fake tension in his fights. Its a fictional story just make his enemies strong or have interesting powers.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:49 pm

#17 and #18 haven't "vanished". They just shifted the focus from them onto to other characters. With a tournament that has a roster of such scale, they are going to be some character you won't see for a few episodes to ensure that every participant gets the proportional amount of screentime. Have some patience, folks.

Taingo

Post by Taingo » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:54 pm

Yeah, I think they're just dividing attention between all the characters now. Nothing to worry about.

Sidenote: I'm kinda disappointed that Frieza and the Androids haven't had some level of interaction yet. I'd think Frieza would be at least a bit curious to see a couple of 'normal' looking humans close (or above???) his level. Or maybe he just wouldn't care.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:41 pm

Taingo wrote:Yeah, I think they're just dividing attention between all the characters now. Nothing to worry about.

Sidenote: I'm kinda disappointed that Frieza and the Androids haven't had some level of interaction yet. I'd think Frieza would be at least a bit curious to see a couple of 'normal' looking humans close (or above???) his level. Or maybe he just wouldn't care.
I honestly wouldnt say either Android is close to him at this point. 17 could be but I don't personally put much stock into the recruitment episodes after what we've seen so far.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:48 pm

The sad thing is there aren't many fighters to be eliminated left.

Kagari
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kagari » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:06 pm

Nickolaidas wrote:
Kagari wrote:
That's not even remotely true. Plenty of works of fiction feel comfortable putting aside the main character if the plot calls for it.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:08 pm

Kagari wrote:
Nickolaidas wrote:
Kagari wrote: Goku doesn't need to be in every episode either though.
That's not even remotely true. Plenty of works of fiction feel comfortable putting aside the main character if the plot calls for it.

Examples? I honestly dont believe this to be true, not saying none have but its not common.

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:14 pm

GodKaio-Ken wrote:
Kagari wrote:
Nickolaidas wrote:

Examples? I honestly dont believe this to be true, not saying none have but its not common.
The Boo arc of Dragon Ball put aside its main character "Son Gohan". :P

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:26 pm

The spotlight is switching between characters, that's how it is in these type of fights.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

TheOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheOne » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:52 pm

Kagari wrote:
What? There's definitely been one or two episodes where he hasn't appeared.

Even if there weren't, the show is about him.... Why would you NOT see him frequently?
How i predict the tournament will end:

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:10 pm

Nickolaidas wrote:
Kagari wrote:
I have to say this analogy is pretty garbage, stand-alone comic stories for titular superhero’s are drastically more individualistic and self reliant on premise and plot. Subsequently, of course the superhero would have to be a lot more prevalent in the story for each issue. The irony is though, Spider man has not been shown in every issue of his comics I don’t where you got that from.

lord turbo
Beyond Newbie

Post by lord turbo » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:51 pm

precita wrote:I just realized we have not seen 17 or 18 in quite a while. What happened to them? For all the hype 17 got especially for being brought back in the tournament, he only really had maybe an episode and a half of spotlight so far. 18 got some nice wins in, but I still want to see her do more. Especially since there's a great possibility of 18 being the next main character knocked out of the tournament, so I fear she doesn't have much time left.

Since Universe 3 still has a lot of fighters left, I would like to see 17 and 18 "clean house" of all the robot fighters. Would seem fitting.
They are in the area sometimes known as "Off-screen" where no one else can see or hear them unless they themselves are off-screen. What characters do while off-screen varies, but mostly they are in limbo until the "plot" calls for them and they are transported back "on screen".

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:46 pm

SaiyanGod117 wrote:
Nickolaidas wrote:
Kagari wrote: Goku doesn't need to be in every episode either though.
I have to say this analogy is pretty garbage, stand-alone comic stories for titular superhero’s are drastically more individualistic and self reliant on premise and plot. Subsequently, of course the superhero would have to be a lot more prevalent in the story for each issue. The irony is though, Spider man has not been shown in every issue of his comics I don’t where you got that from.
If Spider-Man / Peter Parker is shown in 999 out of 1000 issues, my analogy still stands. I honestly can't remember an issue where he hasn't appeared or wasn't mentioned in at least one frame. And I've read quite a few, believe me.

As for titular super-heroes, don't forget that both Batman and Superman are the protagonists in comic series which don't contain their respective names in the title.

I don't want Goku in every episode, but it's his show, and I understand if he's in every single one.

KingKaash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KingKaash » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:10 am

Lord Beerus wrote:#17 and #18 haven't "vanished". They just shifted the focus from them onto to other characters. With a tournament that has a roster of such scale, they are going to be some character you won't see for a few episodes to ensure that every participant gets the proportional amount of screentime. Have some patience, folks.
I was gonna say where the heck are Caulifla and Kale as well as Android 17 and 18? The last we saw of Caulifla and Kale was them watching Dyspo beat up Hit before Goku stepped in to help Hit.

A tag fight between Android 17 and 18 vs Caulifla and Kale would be very interesting to watch. I actually don't know who'd come out of that fight. Android 18 is the weakest so she'd be eliminated. And Berserk SSJ Kale and Android 17 are on the same level to me so if SSJ2 Caulifla and Berserk SSJ Kale gang up on Android 17 then I guess he's going to lose.

I also want to see Android 17 vs Hit. Android 17 actually matches up pretty well against a lot of opponents
"Gohan, let it go. It is not a sin to fight for the right cause. There are those who words alone will not reach. Cell is such a being. I know how you feel Gohan, you are gentle, you do not like to hurt. I know because I too have learned these feelings. But it is because you cherish life that you must protect it. Please drop your restraints. Protect the life I once loved. You have the strength, my scanners sensed it..." -Android 16

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:15 pm

Nickolaidas wrote:
If Spider-Man / Peter Parker is shown in 999 out of 1000 issues, my analogy still stands. I honestly can't remember an issue where he hasn't appeared or wasn't mentioned in at least one frame. And I've read quite a few, believe me.
Mentioned and appeared are two different things, more else your analogy is still flawed as comics for super-heroes tend to focus more individual or personal dilemmas like inner conflicts or relationships. And if it’s neither of those the antagonist or cataclysmic trigger of that story will either be from that hero’s rouge gallery or dependently connected to them.
As for titular super-heroes, don't forget that both Batman and Superman are the protagonists in comic series which don't contain their respective names in the title.
The same goes for Spider-Man and mostly every other hero in the Marvel, DC, Valiant, Image, etc.
I don't want Goku in every episode, but it's his show, and I understand if he's in every single one.
No it’s not, you also fail to take in the perspective the story is being told, the TOP is a team based fight with even many characters breaking off in pairs while, simultaneously dozens of other characters are fighting at the same time. Evidently, at point all their just doing is showboating Goku, due to him being in episodes he has no places in or just gradually over staying his welcome.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:58 pm

We agree to disagree then.