Anyone else don't mind the Potaufeu episodes?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MaskedRider
Banned

Anyone else don't mind the Potaufeu episodes?

Post by MaskedRider » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:16 pm

Not the bee's knees but re-watching it its not that bad as people were making it out to be in my opinion, I think adding the pacifier and Vegeta of all people having to use it was very Dragon Ball (As in of course a franchise like DB would do that to a character such as Vegeta) I also like the exploration of U7's planets, concepts and characters. Which is why I didn't mind the poacher from space coming to Earth in 17's recruitment episode because it made the universe feel more connected and bizarre. I also liked Gotenk's appearance and attempt to fight as well as seeing more of Vegeta and Trunks caring for each other.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Re: Anyone else don't mind the Potaufeu episodes?

Post by Chuquita » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:39 pm

My only big takeaway from the jelly Vegeta mini-arc was a really good clip during 46 where Vegeta's certain he's going to fade away into nothing so he's decided to go out with a smile on his face and upon seeing this Goku immediately flips out and goes ssjblue against jelly Vegeta.

Also Whis' VA did a good job voicing jelly Vegeta.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:42 pm

It's a perfectly-fine, three-episode mini-arc that was completely over-shadowed at the time of its original airing by the knowledge that the Future Trunks arc was coming.

That said, I haven't re-watched it since. Then again, there's not much I have re-watched since.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:56 pm

I think it might've been fine if they used it to give the kids some screen time but they didn't so it doesn't have anything to stand on.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:59 pm

It was great, fun and enjoyable more Jaco shenanigans and something we needed before jumping into the heavy Trunks arc stuff.

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:07 pm

It was a fine little side adventure. Not a lot to say about it, but it wasn't terrible or anything. Might have been a really cool concept to expand on if they wanted to. Even if just a little bit more.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:11 pm

I probably wouldn't have minded as much if it just focused on Goten and Trunks. It's a shame that it didn't focus more on them.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

PMD
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PMD » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:21 pm

I enjoyed it. SSJ3 Gotenks, Vegeta fading and the design of the villains where interesting.

It would've been a better movie plot than Resurrection of F, imo. Hell, it has a better movie plot than many DBZ movies :lol:

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:49 pm

I absolutely hated Vegeta with the Pacifier

But otherwise I loved this arc. It had a lot of funny and heart warming moments. Some great Kid Trunks and Vegeta scenes. Look Vegeta jumping in to save Trunks. Trunks hugging his dad because he was afraid he was going to die. I can never get enough of that type of thing.

And I just cannot get over Vegeta encouraging his double but also telling Goku he wants a good fight. Of course he didn't want to die but he also didn't want his copy to completely lose to Goku. This is great humor (the pacifier not so much)

I also crack up at the subtle scene in the beginning when Vegeta starts to blame Bulma for Trunks and Goten getting taken away and she says "are you saying this is my fault" and right away he says no it's not your fault. Bulma & Vegeta acting like a typical married couple I love it. :)

So yeah this arc was mostly a complete win for me.

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:39 pm

It's nothing amazing, but I thought it was a fun mini-arc. I've re-watched it too and it really isn't as bad as many say it is imo.

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:57 pm

I'll admit that I have not rewatched those episodes after their initial airing, but I remember being completely unimpressed with them. It was surprisingly a well animated mini arc for some reason, but the story was sooooooo bland and uninteresting. Hindsight is 20/20, but it's clear they made a Copy Vegeta because Goku was getting his own "copy" in the next arc. I think it's a pretty dumb filler arc overall. Pacifier Vegeta was funny, though.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

Torturephile
Regular

Post by Torturephile » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:10 pm

Just a side story like the Garlic Jr. saga and the Otherworld Tournament, not necessary for the main story, but could be enjoyed at random. While not bad, it stood in the way of the Future saga, and did nothing more than have the kids as spectators (and get humiliated) while their dad's got to fight like usual. Could have made them play a bigger role like the non-Goku cast did in the Garlic Jr. saga.

It reminded me of when Yu-Gi-Oh was about to begin the tournament on Kaiba's island but we suddenly got to the Noah arc.
From Super episode 113 thread:
MaskedRider wrote:
Torturephile wrote:
hunduel wrote:I liked this episode. I seriously don't know why people hate it.
namekiansaiyan wrote:I seriously don't see why some of you like this episode when nothing happened and was basically filler.
The fandom in a nutshell.
The duality of man.

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:33 pm

Torturephile wrote:Just a side story like the Garlic Jr. saga and the Otherworld Tournament, not necessary for the main story, but could be enjoyed at random. While not bad, it stood in the way of the Future saga, and did nothing more than have the kids as spectators (and get humiliated) while their dad's got to fight like usual. Could have made them play a bigger role like the non-Goku cast did in the Garlic Jr. saga.

It reminded me of when Yu-Gi-Oh was about to begin the tournament on Kaiba's island but we suddenly got to the Noah arc.
This arc didn't actually do much wrong in that regard though, I don't really see the comparison. The Virtual World/Noah arc took place literally during the Battle City tournament and with how hype the Battle City - Finals were, we literally had to go through a filler arc within an arc, before getting to the Finals.

Mind you, I don't dislike the arc, but I just don't find either scenario comparable all that much.

Torturephile
Regular

Post by Torturephile » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:04 am

Jigurashi wrote:
Torturephile wrote:Just a side story like the Garlic Jr. saga and the Otherworld Tournament, not necessary for the main story, but could be enjoyed at random. While not bad, it stood in the way of the Future saga, and did nothing more than have the kids as spectators (and get humiliated) while their dad's got to fight like usual. Could have made them play a bigger role like the non-Goku cast did in the Garlic Jr. saga.

This arc didn't actually do much wrong in that regard though, I don't really see the comparison. The Virtual World/Noah arc took place literally during the Battle City tournament and with how hype the Battle City - Finals were, we literally had to go through a filler arc within an arc, before getting to the Finals.

Mind you, I don't dislike the arc, but I just don't find either scenario comparable all that much.
It's been more than ten years since I last saw Yu-Gi-Oh, so whatever I watched is a mess of a faded memory, less we speak about the Abridged Series. All I said was that the Noah stuff stood in the way of the Battle City finals like the Copy Vegeta stuff did to the Future saga, like filler, though not bad.
From Super episode 113 thread:
MaskedRider wrote:
Torturephile wrote:
hunduel wrote:I liked this episode. I seriously don't know why people hate it.
namekiansaiyan wrote:I seriously don't see why some of you like this episode when nothing happened and was basically filler.
The fandom in a nutshell.
The duality of man.

TheOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheOne » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:52 am

I never watched it, but now I feel like I'm missing out!
How i predict the tournament will end:

PMD
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PMD » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:50 am

Now sounds irrelevant, but I need to admit that when I saw this moment

My reaction was like

Did not see that coming at all.

TekTheNinja
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TekTheNinja » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:10 am

It would have been tolerable if it had a cool Gotenks fight. Since it doesn't have that, and has nothing else going for it, it's trash on the same tier as shit like fake Namek.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:43 pm

It literally felt like some lost GT plot or something. I literally felt like I was watching GT episodes while I watched it.

MaskedRider
Banned

Post by MaskedRider » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:00 pm

precita wrote:It literally felt like some lost GT plot or something. I literally felt like I was watching GT episodes while I watched it.
This could be good or bad depending on how you view GT