Super Episode 109-110 (8 October 2017)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Username2016

Re: Super Episode 109-110 (8 October 2017)

Post by Username2016 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:52 am

These two episodes show that Dragonball Super has so much potential and could easily be one of the best DB series in the franchise if done right in future episodes. If I had to say one thing bad about this special (it's really a nitpick though), Ribrianne should've been knocked out but she didn't get as much screen time as I originally feared so it's not that bad.

Goku's new form gave me SSJ1 reveal hype. I like the idea of Goku absorbing the spirit bomb but as how he'll get the form again is the real mystery. My guess is that the spirit bomb energy is still inside of Goku and he will learn to utilize that energy on his own and "reawaken" that form again.

1 hour special did not disappoint and by the looks of it, Hit vs Jiren won't disappoint either

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:53 am

Vados_chan wrote:Jiren is the worst most boring character in Dragon Ball history.

How and why can anyone like him? Please explain to me.
Mmmm...unique design, silent, mega strong. The dialogue surrounding him piqued a lot of interest, such as one saying he obviously obtained this power through a special type of training, Toppo saying he needs to get the Super Dragon Balls to get his wish, implying he has a greater purpose, and then the bomb itself being dropped by Whis that he's stronger than a Hakaishin. I mean, how is he so dis interesting to you that he's boring?

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:54 am

Oh yeah almost forgot. I formerly apologize to Alakazam. You were right about the Genki Dama, so I concede to you that argument we had a while back.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:57 am

Well, just as I expected this all felt way too rushed and sudden. The fights looked really awesome but there was probably more sideline talking than anything else which got really annoying. It was useful for exposition but we really don't need to see 10 shots of the Zeno's going "WOOOOWWW" or the other GoDs being like "Yes, he is strong, very strong" multiple times.

I find Jiren even more boring and unlikeable than before. I gave him the benefit of the doubt that once things got serious we'd actually start to see some of his character, but nope. No personality, just emotionless big bad who barely says anything.

Vegeta is being treated so horribly this arc. He's so damn out of character it hurts. First with the "I'm Vegeta-Sama I'll win this entire tournament by myself I'm the greatest!" nonsense and now refusing to give Goku any energy or do anything but look bored while he's watching the fight. Seriously, I remember when Vegeta was watching Goku fight Kid Buu and his reaction to everything that was going on. In this there was barely a reaction, just "ay how'd you do that mang"

So the form is called Ultra Instinct and he was able to obtain it by absorbing the Spirit Bomb, or clashing with it or something? I don't really get it. At least they bothered to explain it though, thank god for that. The lack of any dialogue by Goku at all, especially during the transformation when he's getting absorbed by the Spirit Bomb, was very disappointing. I'm fine with him not speaking after he's transformed, but I would have at least liked some more commentary or reaction to what was going on. Maybe some sort of realization that oh shit, if I lose my universe is going to be destroyed. Anything but "He's strong..." over and over again. C'mon, make me actually feel something for Goku here. It's hard to get invested into his character when this all feels like a routine for him.

This was blatantly copying the Freeza arc, only in that arc Freeza and Goku fought for 9 episodes up until the point where Goku uses the Spirit Bomb. In Kai it's reduced to 5 episodes. In Super we have 2 episodes, and over half of those episodes was just talking coming from the sidelines. Not to mention that the fight didn't start until 10mins in to 109, so really we're looking at 1 and a half episodes. Am I the only one here who wants more fighting in my fighting anime? This fight looked really cool and all, but it was over before it started. Seriously, why can't we just have a few episodes of fighting? This is the huge main event. Why couldn't Goku have fought Jiren at SSB for at least an episode and a half before resorting to the Spirit Bomb? Why couldn't we then have gotten at least a full episode of "Ultra Instinct" Goku vs Jiren? I'm not saying I want a massive amount of fighting episodes, just more than 2, please.

Overall everything was very good, I just wasn't as blown away as I thought I would be. Everything felt too rushed and it was all over before I could even savor what was going on. Also surprised that no one even attempted to help Goku or charge at Jiren after he defeated Goku the first time. Gohan? Vegeta? Anyone at all? Everyone's just standing around watching Goku get his ass kicked when they all know that their universe will get erased if they lose. Even if it's futile as hell, someone should at least be making an effort.

Vados_chan
Banned

Post by Vados_chan » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:58 am

RedHeat wrote:Lots of people like Broly. :shifty:
Even Broly has more depth and personality than Jiren

And Broly sucks!
Forte224 wrote:Mmmm...unique design, silent, mega strong. The dialogue surrounding him piqued a lot of interest, such as one saying he obviously obtained this power through a special type of training, Toppo saying he needs to get the Super Dragon Balls to get his wish, implying he has a greater purpose, and then the bomb itself being dropped by Whis that he's stronger than a Hakaishin. I mean, how is he so dis interesting to you that he's boring?
None of that is interesting. He's a boring emotionless mute with a crappy design.

MegaBossMan
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MegaBossMan » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:59 am

Quite literally an absolutely perfect episode. The writing was there, the storyboarding was there, the immersion was there, and by god was the animation there. Easily an episode to stack on top of Z's most climactic moments to be honest, and while I'm trying not to let episode end-off hype try to influence my opinion, I think objectively there's so much good material here. The only thing I would've liked to see refined was to expand the reach of the Spirit Bomb move past Universe 7; surely there are other warriors who aren't interested in seeing Jiren win and have Goku left as the weaker opponent. Even some respect from the Universe 6 team would've be neat, having Hit and a couple other fighters somewhat begrudgingly holding their hands up. It'd add to the grand element while effectively having everyone job to Jiren without actually being disrespected themselves. Still, a minor nitpick at best. This episode even made Ribrianne and even Jiren on a lesser note seem like appealing characters; Ribrianne with her grand ambitions of becoming a god, while the line with Jiren where he actually lets Goku charge up the Spirit Bomb free of charge. It's a subtle way of showing his respect to fighting warriors at their best, while not being an idiotic tactic the Saiyans tend to take on because he only benefits from overpowering and improving his reputation on the battlefield.

Overall, while I wish I had any actual criticism to say, this episode was pretty much perfect for me.
By jove, I've got nothing important to say!

gofishus
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gofishus » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:02 am

No character eliminations.. thats disappointing. You would think that the energy from Jiren or spirit bomb would have eliminated some people.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:02 am

Anyone know what the name of the insert song is?

ConfusedPhantom
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ConfusedPhantom » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:06 am

That was incredible in every sense of the word. The fighting was incredible. I love that they brought in some Bruce Lee-influences here and there. Just.....wow. This is hands down one of the best Dragon Ball episodes of all time

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:06 am

Wow. This was amazing. Not worth the headache brought about by Cruncyroll, VRV, and Funimation kicking the bucket, but so entertaining.

I really expected Ribrianne to get knocked out or at least incapacitated. And Vegeta not donating energy? Come on, man...

But everything else was straight HYPE. Jiren is amazing, that new form was amazing and I'm excited to see where they take it. That fight with Jiren and Ultra Instinct Goku (that's what we're gonna call it I guess?) was so intense. I really hope this form is the pinnacle of Goku's power. I don't want them to give it anything else. It was kinda bumming to see it was temporary, but so was the original God transformation and look where we're at now!

And next week is more HYPE! Hit v Jiren! I love this show! :D

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:07 am

Vados_chan wrote:
RedHeat wrote:Lots of people like Broly. :shifty:
Even Broly has more depth and personality than Jiren

And Broly sucks!
Forte224 wrote:Mmmm...unique design, silent, mega strong. The dialogue surrounding him piqued a lot of interest, such as one saying he obviously obtained this power through a special type of training, Toppo saying he needs to get the Super Dragon Balls to get his wish, implying he has a greater purpose, and then the bomb itself being dropped by Whis that he's stronger than a Hakaishin. I mean, how is he so dis interesting to you that he's boring?
None of that is interesting. He's a boring emotionless mute with a crappy design.
Well if you don't like him I don't know what to tell you. Several do, so, whatevs. What IS interesting?

Torturephile
Regular

Post by Torturephile » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:07 am

Diggz92 wrote:Amazing episode but they messed up and put the girl #17 knocked off and brought her back in the ring
You mean Kakunsa? She's been off the arena for a while. Or you mean Rosie? She wasn't knocked off.
From Super episode 113 thread:
MaskedRider wrote:
Torturephile wrote:
hunduel wrote:I liked this episode. I seriously don't know why people hate it.
namekiansaiyan wrote:I seriously don't see why some of you like this episode when nothing happened and was basically filler.
The fandom in a nutshell.
The duality of man.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:09 am

fadeddreams5 wrote:Well yeah, these were great episodes, but that doesn't mean the rest of the arc hasn't been pretty shitty. Two gems can't compensate for 90+ episodes of mediocrity/trash.
All you've ever done is complain like a broken record for 2 years anyway.

I'm referring to the all the fickle people who keep having yo-yoing opinions.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:13 am

11/10 Holy Fuck that was amazing!! Now this is a Special! Better than One Piece Special on every front!

I was worried with how they would handle the Genkidama part, but they did it right. It didn't feel rushed at all.
I was worried about the amount of eyecatches after seeing One Piece Special, but they did it right too.

Goku's new form looks awesome and I loved everything.

I was only expecting an insert song later when we would be reaching the end of the Tournament, but looks like we already got one. I still want the Opening Song to be used as insert song later. It's too perfect to not use it.

Both episodes are awesome, but just like expected episode 110 is the better one. it's easily one of the best DBS episodes and the franchise.
The ending was such a cliffhanger!

The new ending rocks! I love it more than I thought it would.

NEP looks awesome.
Looks like they will also make justice to Hit vs Jiren.

This is by far the best Tournament of this franchise. I'm loving this arc. :clap:
Last edited by FortuneSSJ on Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

TheShadowEmperor8055
Regular

Post by TheShadowEmperor8055 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:13 am

Also, I prefer the new, recent ending theme to the last one.

LOL, Dokkan already has a card for it.

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:19 am

BlueBasilisk wrote:Frieza of all people coming through in a clutch. Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine I'd see that.
It was awesome. Dude contributed to the Genki Dama but Vegeta didn't.

It was fantastic. He's not my favorite but I do like Jiren, and I loved seeing Goku get his ass kicked. I also love seeing Goku's new form in action and how epic it was with the new music. Then there's Freeza coming in the clutch, Beerus legit showing how worried he is for Goku, and every GoD shitting their pants at Goku's new form.

Daimo-Rukiri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:21 am

I don't think we've seen the end of Goku's new form as we do see him with his shirt off so hopefully that's when he start's getting super serious.
Also, I think Freeza is going to lend Goku some energy like how Goku did on Namek as we do see Son in the next episode preview.

I watched it twice, once live and then with subs only because I thought I missed something but I honestly didn't miss as much as I thought :)
Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Dragon Ball Hero's Spirit development blog - An Action-RPG coming soon to monitor near you!
https://dragonball-hs.tumblr.com/

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:22 am

Really cool episode. Although parts of it were a little silly, I think it was worth the wait/hype.

Was Goku absorbing the Genki Dama supposed to be a throwback to when he absorbed Beerus' attack in Battle of Gods? If Toriyama is actually foreshadowing that far ahead of time, I'm ready to bet that Universe 6 wins the ToP and restores at least Universe 7 in order to repay Champa's debt to Beerus.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:24 am

Interesting, Daisuki and CR both have the episodes split up, while Funimation has it posted as one episode. The Funimation version also has a different title card then the separate episodes, and has the unique eyecatchs that played during the Japanese version, while the separate episodes have the standard eyecatches.

TheOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheOne » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:29 am

I don't know why, but there was something about this episode that completely made me forget about EOZ. When Beerus was felt like there was nothing left, I was legitimately sad to see his reaction and the sense of doom he felt.

I decided to let myself not have any expectations and just go with the flow. BOY DID IT PAY OFF! I only wish every episode of Super looked like this.

While I can kinda appreciate what they did with the whole martial arts thing at the beginning with Krillin, I didn't think it was necessary. I know there are some martial arts purist here, but don't get pissy because I would've been fine without it. Goku knew what would and wouldn't work on him. I am however always glad to see the reappearance of SSG.

It was an emotional roller coaster of an episode. I don't think I've ever felt this way about a Dragon Ball Super episode yet.
How i predict the tournament will end: