Opinions on Jiren?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Opinions on Jiren?

Post by Hawk9211 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:25 pm

Pretty much the title.I haven’t watched the special so,I will comment afterwards.
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Opinions on jiren?

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:54 am

He's the worst major tournament antagonist in the franchise.

But he got a lot of cool scenes in the special. It makes you think why had to waste this on a character that's the equivalent of a cardboard box.
Last edited by fadeddreams5 on Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:56 am

So far, still really boring, uninteresting. Not a good design, technique, or anything. Just all around boring with nothing redeeming about him yet. Broly and Kale have more to them than Jiren does at the time of 110.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:03 am

Worst antagonist in the history of Dragon Ball thus far. I mean, he's not quite Broly levels of bad but he's down there. No personality, no character, design isn't very interesting, he's just boring all around. I thought we'd finally get to see some personality once he starts fighting Goku but nope.

If you told me he was one of the robots from Universe 3 I wouldn't even question it.

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:08 am

Most horrible antagonist of any shonen series, the guy is a fucking bore, 3 words at best with his typical 1 liners. Quite sad really, I dig his design but his character needs some heavy work, but by now I think that wont be possible.

Vados_chan
Banned

Post by Vados_chan » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:09 am

All the peeps above me echo my thoughts.

I'd have been cool with this if it was Toppo cause at least the dude has some personality and humor to him.

Freeza9000
Advanced Regular

Post by Freeza9000 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:27 am

I'm on board with the posts above. There's nothing interesting about Jiren other than the fact that he's supposed to serve as an overpowered obstacle that Goku has to yet again overcome and reach new heights in power. Although the same can somewhat apply to Hit, at the very least he had more of an intimidating presence as a professional assassin while offering some interesting techniques in battle.

Asura

Post by Asura » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:35 am

Freeza9000 wrote:I'm on board with the posts above. There's nothing interesting about Jiren other than the fact that he's supposed to serve as an overpowered obstacle that Goku has to yet again overcome and reach new heights in power. Although the same can somewhat apply to Hit, at the very least he had more of an intimidating presence as a professional assassin while offering some interesting techniques in battle.
I think Hit is definitely beginning to get some character, as we see in how he's treated Goku ever since the end of the U6 tournament, and him playing team leader for U6 has also made him slightly more interesting. I don't think he can really be compared to Jiren at this point.

MaskedRider
Banned

Post by MaskedRider » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:38 am

Honestly, I seen so many characters much like Jiren throughout anime and shows that I don't have much of an opinion of him. Hes there and I'm not going to say thats bad because my enjoyment of characters, music, movies, shows, etc aren't based on what rules they need to or should follow (that doesn't mean I don't have standards) I enjoy them if I enjoy em :P
Last edited by MaskedRider on Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

oozaru goku

Post by oozaru goku » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:44 am

He isn't actually a villain Is he? He's just fighting for his universe and stronger than goku, I think goku should be the one called villain because he just fight for his own enjoyment and in this epsiode he's still shameless enough to ask for other people power just to win his own fight lmao

hardcorefakes
Beyond Newbie

Post by hardcorefakes » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:09 am

Infinitely more entertaining than anyone from U6.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:17 am

Jiren's actually pretty unique among core antagonists. We've never gotten someone so stoic and aloof. Usually Dragon Ball's antagonists come with a few pronounced quirks and flourishes.

As Kaioshin said this episode, "He's strong. Plain and simple."

It's refreshing. I dig it. If it weren't a break from the norm, I'd feel differently.

The fights in episodes 109 and 110 are maybe the first time the series has convincingly sold me an escalation of power on a purely visual level since the Boo arc, as well.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:22 am

He's so boring. I keep waiting for some Toriyama type quirk to emerge and so far nothing.

If you're going to have a stoic guy at least give him a cool character design. Even that's dull, imo.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:29 am

That's exactly it though. Jiren feels like he walked in out of another series. But the contrast is so strong, and so pointed, that it's kind of fun that way in its own right.

omaro34

Post by omaro34 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:58 am

Pretty uninteresting. His design isn't the greatest, and I was hoping his personality would make up for it when I first saw him. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case.

He had some great moments during the special though, but that's mainly because of the great animation and choreography.

At this point, I'm not expecting much from Jiren outside of being an incredibly powerful opponent for Goku to overcome. Most stoic characters expose themselves a bit 9 or so months after being introduced into the franchise. We had many stoic characters when you include the filler characters like Pikkon, but he at least showed another side of himself outside of standing there arms crossed with your eyes closed.

And the main point is that the more a character shows their personality, the more fans want to learn more about that character and their backstory. Right now as it stands if Jiren was never shown again in the series after this arc it wouldn't bother me one bit. It wouldn't bother me that we didn't learn anything about him. If the writers wrote him so plainly; a bland design with little to no personality and is simply a strong opponent for Goku, why should we care to invest much into the character?

I hope we see another side of Jiren soon, but I'm skeptical.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:03 am

Truly Godlike.
His strength speaks for him instead of his personality and that makes it an entirely different experience than previous antagonists.
Sometimes you can get a bit tired of all the characters' bullshit, so having this one guy, who isn't like that is refreshing for a change.
I like it.

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:11 am

Completely understand why many find him boring, though he's honestly become one of my favorites after the special. He's a no bullshit, cool, silent, stoic character. Easy to see why many find that boring, though I find it completely fine. I've enjoyed him quite a bit this past episode and his fight with Goku has become my third favorite fight in the franchise.

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:28 am

It's one of those things were I'm not sure if there's something more to him, if he's intentionally bland or just badly written. I think he has potential as a character, and I don't think we've seen or heard the last on him, but for now it's being kept under lock and key.

I think they got over-excited. They had a good thing with him at first; he's all over the intro which was great, Toppo builds him up as a threat and in his first appearance he gets that cool jump-scare on Goku. It's good stuff, but they didn't build on any of it in the right way, instead just kept telling us to look out for this guy, until it became ridiculous. If they'd just given him a few lines here and there, to tide us over before the special, it would've been enough.

He certainly didn't disappoint in the action department, but as far as characterisation goes, he wont' cut it if he stays like this. Like, at the moment he's below Broly "so bad it's good" level and at undubbed Super Android 13 level. That's not good.

TekTheNinja

Post by TekTheNinja » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:40 am

Still more of an obstacle than a character. Kinda wish Toppo was the main guy instead.

TheOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheOne » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:52 am

TekTheNinja wrote:Still more of an obstacle than a character. Kinda wish Toppo was the main guy instead.
Oh gosh. He's a little too overbearing.

I think Jiren is just looking for a challenge to be honest. Yeah he's bland, but I'm willing to wait before the arc is over with before I start claiming how boring he is.
How i predict the tournament will end: