Opinions on Hit's performance in the Tournament of Power

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Who's happy about...

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:10 pm

I figured it would happen. I love Hit but after seeing him getting pushed back by Dyspo I figured a fight between him and Jiren wouldn't happen. Now that we're getting it, it definitely feels like he's got the odds stacked against him.

However, losing=/=eliminated (unless new spoilers have come out which I have not seen). But we shall see tomorrow night

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:41 pm

supercat wrote:
Lord Frieza wrote:I personally like it buuuuuuuut Jiren is my star fighter in this tournamant and my new faviort. So watching him beat Hit into purple paste will be a joy.

I always prefer it when my fighters bloody the noses of the strong rather then act as super exterminaters.

Edit: Plus Universe 11 owes Hit an asskicking for his humiliastion of Dyspo and his defeat of Kunshi.
Jiren is awesome. He just turns everyone into a joke with sheer strength and power. Doesn't have to rely on cheap techniques that start to get boring after the first few times, and he isn't overrated nor overhyped unlike characters who long wore out their welcome. Characters like Hit, Buu, Tien, and a few others.
The fact that people put so much more stock in strength than genuine skill shows fans incesssant support of continued bad writing instead of an interesting return to form for the series that Super has been attempting to promulgate with this arc.

I with Hit would have had more screen time before being eliminated, but I'm fine with him losing to Jiren. I also think Jirens fight with Hit is a good opportunity to develop the type of character he is by having him go up against someone who could be a challenge for him like Hit.

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:37 pm

JazzMazz wrote:
supercat wrote:
Lord Frieza wrote:I personally like it buuuuuuuut Jiren is my star fighter in this tournamant and my new faviort. So watching him beat Hit into purple paste will be a joy.

I always prefer it when my fighters bloody the noses of the strong rather then act as super exterminaters.

Edit: Plus Universe 11 owes Hit an asskicking for his humiliastion of Dyspo and his defeat of Kunshi.
Jiren is awesome. He just turns everyone into a joke with sheer strength and power. Doesn't have to rely on cheap techniques that start to get boring after the first few times, and he isn't overrated nor overhyped unlike characters who long wore out their welcome. Characters like Hit, Buu, Tien, and a few others.
The fact that people put so much more stock in strength than genuine skill shows fans incesssant support of continued bad writing instead of an interesting return to form for the series that Super has been attempting to promulgate with this arc.

I with Hit would have had more screen time before being eliminated, but I'm fine with him losing to Jiren. I also think Jirens fight with Hit is a good opportunity to develop the type of character he is by having him go up against someone who could be a challenge for him like Hit.
On that we agree. Also Goku is a.....pretty strate forward fighter, his overal fighting style is simple but effective and hond to perfection with a number of versitle core abilites on top. However Goku dose not have a vertual weapon collections worth of ki attacks like Vegeta, advanced ranked ki control attacks like most of his friends and in a way he's the exact oppasite of Hit yet the same.

The key difference is there base line reason for fighting. Goku fights to have fun and in self defence, Hit is an assassine who kills people. Like Goku, Hit's got a simple yet effective blend of skills and abilites he's howned to perfection but they are all intended to be fatal or at least to critically injure. An assassins job is to hunt someone down, kill them with as much efficancy as possible then get out of there without ditection. If they do get into a fight they must bring their enemy down as quickly and effectivly as possible with as little damage as possible being inflicted in themselves. Thats the rules Hit's fighting style is based on and it breeds a much more complex warrior.

Hit also uses probabaly the difficult and dangerus of assassin styles, close range. Assassins come in many forms but those who can slip in and kill you at close range while in a room full of people are easily the most skilled, and from what we have seen Hit is a true master of the art.

While he make lack Goku's raw power, Hit's skills will hopfully give Jiren a very intreasting fight, and one that will hopfully have him show more skill of his own.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:12 pm

The only thing I'm happy about is that Ribrianne, Caulifla and Kale are still in, because the amount of hate towards those three is ridiculous.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

supercat
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by supercat » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:14 pm

JazzMazz wrote:
supercat wrote:

Bad writing would be an ability that could defeat any level of strength. I'm glad Buu's chocolate beam had limitations and his regeneration failed against the Spirit Bomb. Strength and power is basically what I feel puts a lot of excitement in the series. What would be the point of a bunch of fodders using silly techniques over and over again. Wouldn't that get boring? Think about it, a ten person team of all Tiens or Piccolos, that would be awful!

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:49 pm

I'm not, I actually like Hit, I woulda been happy if it were Cauli and Kale to go, one can only hope Goku kicks both their asses out the ring in ep 114.

avasatu
Beyond Newbie

Post by avasatu » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:14 pm

I'm more unhappy with who is still in than I am unhappy about Hit being eliminated. Losing to Jiren is honorable, and Hit will put up a solid fight. It would be so cool if Hit only seemed like he was eliminated, fooling even the Zenos, when in reality he honed his clone making to such a degree that he can have a clone of himself sitting in the stands while he secretly remains in play until the end.

We have stupid Monna, the smoke-farting guy, some random robot fodder from U3, and plenty of U2 trash still in, who will all almost certainly be less interesting and powerful than Hit.

I just wanted it to be down to Jiren, Toppo, Dyspo, the bugs, the Namekians (including Piccolo), 17, Goku, Gohan, Vegeta, Frieza, Hit, Kale, Caulifla (maybe), and Cabba (maybe). That's a roster worth watching.

At the end of the day, I'm not happy or unhappy. It all depends on execution and how interesting all the remaining guys turn out to be.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:45 pm

supercat wrote:Hit finally losing?

I really couldn't be happier about it! Hit just seems far too overhyped with fans thinking he could actually be a top contender against characters like Goku, Frieza, and Jiren, and his overall presence and his design are just so dull. He's like a bad knockoff of Pikkon or something. Good riddance. Time to clear out the boredom and make room for the real fighters of this tournament.

Glad strength and power can overcome abilities at the end of the day. It would be awful if certain abilities can overcome any amount of power.

Oh and hope Jiren completely toys with him. Not sure why they're even fighting when Vegeta should have been the one to knock out Hit. Oh well, I should at least be grateful we won't be subjected to anymore of that overrated time-skipping garbage.
lol. I suppose it's healthy to vent.

I love Hit. I agree that he came off as a Pikkon knockoff, but his background as the universe's greatest assassin and his abilities make him very interesting for me. Also, I love his design. Next to Goku Black and Whis, he's my favorite original character in Super. Probably in my DB top 10 too. He's cool enough as it is, but he also has a buck load of potential.

Jiren is the infinitely boring one in literally every category.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:47 pm

SansrivaaL wrote:I'm not, I actually like Hit, I woulda been happy if it were Cauli and Kale to go, one can only hope Goku kicks both their asses out the ring in ep 114.
I'll lol hard if a battle worn Goku gets any sort of advantage when fighting Cauli and Kale again.

CJStriker_CBR

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:49 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:The only thing I'm happy about is that Ribrianne, Caulifla and Kale are still in, because the amount of hate towards those three is ridiculous.
^^^^ ALL OF THIS :thumbup: ~~~~Plus I Love all 3 of those Girls, they make Super Allot better for me and other Fans of them, No matter what others say about them, to each their own! :thumbup:

Also I will get to my thoughts about Hit in another Post.
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

Kanious
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kanious » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:51 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:The only thing I'm happy about is that Ribrianne, Caulifla and Kale are still in, because the amount of hate towards those three is ridiculous.
agreed
and it would be fun if Ribrianne has another transformation and becomes one of the strongest by the end of the tournament. I would laugh at the haters

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:05 am

supercat wrote:
JazzMazz wrote:
supercat wrote:

Bad writing would be an ability that could defeat any level of strength. I'm glad Buu's chocolate beam had limitations and his regeneration failed against the Spirit Bomb. Strength and power is basically what I feel puts a lot of excitement in the series. What would be the point of a bunch of fodders using silly techniques over and over again. Wouldn't that get boring? Think about it, a ten person team of all Tiens or Piccolos, that would be awful!
The exact opposite of your opening sentence is correct.

Bad writing is a level of strength that could defeat any ability.

I don't exactly see whats so interesting about watching the same fight over and over again. Having opponents that characters couldn't defeat simply through sheer strength is far more interesting than watching the same thing over and over again.

A team of ten Tiens and Piccolo would be more interesting than a team of ten Jirens, Goku's or Vegeta's, because they would actually need to earn there victories through thinking and strategy, not simply going I've got the bigger number therefore I win.

By having techniques and actual strategy involved, they'll be adding an interesting element to each battle, where instead of all the fights being about how big your number is, its more about how smart you are as a fighter, and how you can overcome your opponents strengths through strategy.

I don't find any excitement in the speed or power because its exactly the same as it was in the original DragonBall, the explosions are the same, the speed is the same and the snap vanishes are the same. So what makes this latest rendition of the same fight more interesting if you don't have something like strategies or techniques backing it up? Nothing.
You get a stale, re-hash of a fight that has been a done a 1000 times before in the series with literally nothing unique or interesting about it.

You basically want the removal of creativity from all fights simply for the lie of non-existent progress.

CJStriker_CBR

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:11 am

Kanious wrote:
agreed
and it would be fun if Ribrianne has another transformation and becomes one of the strongest by the end of the tournament. I would laugh at the haters
Indeed in that and More so since the special. I been coming up with a theory that maybe Ribrianne will have another transformation and with this transformation become one of the strongest, but maybe look more like a traditional Magical Girl look! ;)

If so, I am for this if done correctly.
My #1 in DB!

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:13 am

While Kale I admit grew on me, I agree, these three get way more hate then they should. Ribrianne is a fun character and refreshing take on the magical girl.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

CJStriker_CBR

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:19 am

GreatSaiyaJeff wrote:
While Kale I admit grew on me, I agree, these three get way more hate then they should. Ribrianne is a fun character and refreshing take on the magical girl.
Indeed well said, glad to hear and agree with your points on Ribrianne. Also I have to admit Caulifla took some time with me to get to like, but she has finally grown on me as well.
My #1 in DB!

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:11 am

I would've liked to see more from him, but I'm happy that he gets a big fight in with Jiren. In the end, it's just basic story telling. Hyping up the new guy by dwarfing the past new guy is something that has happened many, many times.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

JazzMazz
I Live Here

Post by JazzMazz » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:21 am

MajinMan wrote:I would've liked to see more from him, but I'm happy that he gets a big fight in with Jiren. In the end, it's just basic story telling. Hyping up the new guy by dwarfing the past new guy is something that has happened many, many times.
TBH, I think thats a trend Dragonball should really try to break. Namely because its a really cheap way of increasing the stakes.

supercat

Post by supercat » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:43 am

fadeddreams5 wrote:lol. I suppose it's healthy to vent.

I love Hit. I agree that he came off as a Pikkon knockoff, but his background as the universe's greatest assassin and his abilities make him very interesting for me. Also, I love his design. Next to Goku Black and Whis, he's my favorite original character in Super. Probably in my DB top 10 too. He's cool enough as it is, but he also has a buck load of potential.

Jiren is the infinitely boring one in literally every category.
Unlike Piccolo and Tien, I could actually see why people would find Hit cool. I just find him a bit overhyped, but it could also just be the Universe 6 tournament itself that wasn't that into. The only Universe 6 character I found interesting out of that whole tournament was Frost. Cabba was second to Frost, outside of his interaction with Vegeta (really loved their student / mentor bond). I really couldn't stand Botamo and Magetta. Hit was mediocre at that time. A bit dull for my taste, but not terrible as a character at that moment. I guess those two episodes that came later was what made it all seem so played out.

I guess for me, I'm just too intrigued by characters like Vegeta, Frieza, Android 17 to give much acknowledgement to anyone else. I do like the Pride Troopers, but I hope the remaining three end up fighting some of the top powerhouses of Universe 7.
JazzMazz wrote:The exact opposite of your opening sentence is correct.

Bad writing is a level of strength that could defeat any ability.

I don't exactly see whats so interesting about watching the same fight over and over again. Having opponents that characters couldn't defeat simply through sheer strength is far more interesting than watching the same thing over and over again.

A team of ten Tiens and Piccolo would be more interesting than a team of ten Jirens, Goku's or Vegeta's, because they would actually need to earn there victories through thinking and strategy, not simply going I've got the bigger number therefore I win.

By having techniques and actual strategy involved, they'll be adding an interesting element to each battle, where instead of all the fights being about how big your number is, its more about how smart you are as a fighter, and how you can overcome your opponents strengths through strategy.

I don't find any excitement in the speed or power because its exactly the same as it was in the original DragonBall, the explosions are the same, the speed is the same and the snap vanishes are the same. So what makes this latest rendition of the same fight more interesting if you don't have something like strategies or techniques backing it up? Nothing.
You get a stale, re-hash of a fight that has been a done a 1000 times before in the series with literally nothing unique or interesting about it.

You basically want the removal of creativity from all fights simply for the lie of non-existent progress.
It's not watching the same thing over and over again when it involves different characters each time. There are characters who are powerful, yet we never got to see them participate in a good battle. Supreme Kai was a perfect example of this back in the Buu saga. A being who could destroy Frieza wasn't given one proper fight that makes him appear as powerful as his words. Characters with cool designs, cool stories, etc, in the midst of a huge clash is amazing. Take Frieza as an example. How can anyone call his movements boring? His design goes so well with his acrobatic abilities and finesse.

A team of ten Tiens and Piccolos would probably have two outcomes, start off comical and end with boredom. Tien's funny poses, panicked facial expressions, and constant fails along with Piccolo's antenna beam. Yeah nothing interesting there. That strategy thing is only cool when the power levels are somewhat close, and the smarter fighter wins after a climatic battle had already taken place.

When the battle starts off with one fighter running and hiding, it becomes nothing but a joke. This is why I feel Roshi put on such a better show against Frost than Piccolo did. Roshi in his weakened state actually had the courage to fight a fresh Frost, and even managed to get him to back off looking somewhat panicked. Piccolo, as fresh as he was didn't even bother tangling with Frost. It was all about running away and charging up an attack that ended up failing either way. If I didn't know these characters, and someone asked me who I thought was stronger between Roshi and Piccolo, I would have said Roshi.

MasterofSix

Post by MasterofSix » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:41 am

I'm not gonna be jumping for joy if Hit loses to Jiren. The former is one of my favorite characters in Super while the latter is still woefully underdeveloped. I just hope the fight isn't as one-sided and we can learn some more about Jiren.

I'll just echo what others said: I'm happy that Ribrianne and the rest of fighters listed are still around.

avasatu
Beyond Newbie

Post by avasatu » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:11 am

It’s not as if Hit is developed, and they hinted at some serious Jiren development with his connection to Belmod and his desire for the Dragon Balls.