Super Episode 111 (15 October 2017)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

mAcChaos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Super Episode 111 (15 October 2017)

Post by mAcChaos » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:24 am

I'm sad that Hit got eliminated so soon, and that the fight was short, but I thought they did both Hit and Jiren justice.

Hit basically showed he could beat almost anyone of any power range with his strategy and techniques, but then Jiren's hows he's such a monster that even that isn't enough. Nothing is enough. It's really starting to build up the audience's dread with how strong he is that he doesn't even need to pay attention anymore because he thinks the tournament is over. I'm starting to actually feel some of the despair the characters must feel. How are they going to get out of this?
[i]"I have yet to show you, young warrior, what I'm truly capable of."[/i] - Cell

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:28 am

fadeddreams5 wrote:He's still a terrible character in almost every way, but as an obstacle, he's becoming interesting to watch.
Jiren isn't a terrible character. A terrible character flat out ruins a show like Pan in GT.

Jiren isn't ruining anything. He's just a so so character. He's average, which for the role he has isn't really good enough but he isn't done with so that can easily change by the end but he's definitely not in any way a terrible character.

Arugela
Beyond Newbie

Post by Arugela » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:30 am

I still can't understand why they didn't try to eliminate him by removing the ground and making him fall. It was shown it doesn't take a lot of strength by the guy tien fought. That would have been better than attacking directly. As Jiren can potentially fly/float that was the best chance to take him out in the show yet. The only thing I can think of was Hit didn't think it could be done fast enough for him not to get free and eliminate them all. Or he stupidly thought he could solo him as he took no thought into group work at all. He had him exactly where he should have wanted him. And that should have been using those sayians to take the rug out from under jiren by forcing him to fall out of bounds while Hit held him paralysed the entire way down.

Hit's strategic abilities would have been shown for the danger they really are. Now he just looks stupid and incapable of using team work. His assassin training should make that kind of team work and necessity simple regardless of if he normally works solo. Cheapened his character a lot.

The characters in Dragon Ball are way to childish.

The show in general has a massively bad habit of not showing the reason for things. It just have people do things and nothing to tell the exact reason why. Especially this type of thing. Why did he need them to work on their own. Nothing even hinted to it and it was a massive critical moment in the show logically. He almost eliminated the biggest obstacle in the TOP for them and everyone else. After that hit would have been devastating to everything including Goku if smart. they could have won the whole tournament with that moment. The characters in this show start off being portrayed in one way then are used in endlessly simpler ones doing no justice to them and avoiding any good writing.
My fan art:
Brolly Gohan Fusion!: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=38826
Uubeerus fusion: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=39923
Dende theme: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=39750

Zenoh might be waygu/kobe Beef!?: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40055
GT theory: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=40001

MaskedRider
Banned

Post by MaskedRider » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:42 am

Oh God I love Jiren more and more! "An assassins pride? What rubbish!" As I said in a previous post, Jiren lets out more of himself through fighting.

Also, I didn't see it as poor writing for the Saiyans to not help, I mean people be saying, "Oh yeah just blast him off :thumbup:"...no. If it took Goku IN ULTRA INSTINCT for a blast to push Jiren back and Hit, THE LEGENDARY ASSASSIN WHOSE FIGHTING IS FINE TUNED FOR THAT, using his trump move could not stop Jiren, the hell do you think three Saiyans who are part of the boy scouts of Sadal and the Saiyan biker gang could do anything? If Jiren got through Hit, three small fry Saiyans will be no sweat.

Now you could bring up destroying a chunk of the floor Jiren is standing on and that would be more valid but that is my opinion but who knows, Jiren leaps back up on stage through SHEER WILL. Jiren drinking that POWER THIRST but if it would actually work then wow :lol:

Asura

Post by Asura » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:54 am

Arugela wrote:I still can't understand why they didn't try to eliminate him by removing the ground and making him fall. It was shown it doesn't take a lot of strength by the guy tien fought. That would have been better than attacking directly. As Jiren can potentially fly/float that was the best chance to take him out in the show yet. The only thing I can think of was Hit didn't think it could be done fast enough for him not to get free and eliminate them all. Or he stupidly thought he could solo him as he took no thought into group work at all. He had him exactly where he should have wanted him. And that should have been using those sayians to take the rug out from under jiren by forcing him to fall out of bounds while Hit held him paralysed the entire way down.

Hit's strategic abilities would have been shown for the danger they really are. Now he just looks stupid and incapable of using team work. His assassin training should make that kind of team work and necessity simple regardless of if he normally works solo. Cheapened his character a lot.

The show in general has a massively bad habit of not showing the reason for things. It just have people do things and nothing to tell the exact reason why. Especially this type of thing. Why did he need them to work on their own. Nothing even hinted to it and it was a massive critical moment in the show logically. He almost eliminated the biggest obstacle in the TOP for them and everyone else. After that hit would have been devastating to everything including Goku if smart. they could have won the whole tournament with that moment. The characters in this show start off being portrayed in one way then are used in endlessly simpler ones doing no justice to them and avoiding any good writing.

Is this your first shonen series? This stuff is commonplace in many shonen animes, especially in Z. Sometimes they just need to move the plot forward without considering what the most logical thing to do would be.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:00 am

I was a nice episode, I liked it. Animation might not have been on par with the special, but it was decent. Better than the earlier episodes, so I'm not gonna complain.

I just wish they would've let Hit damage Jiren a little more. Making the main antagonist so infallible that only the MC can touch him is more annoying at this point than awe-worthy. And Jiren as a character continues to be....something. I also like how Champa composed himself to praise Hit instead of going off on him. That was a nice touch.

Ribrianne doubting herself for a second there was also surprising. It was a good character moment and makes me thing even more that she'll get another form. Too bad they went back to the "love" thing so I went back to cringing.

The unceremonious debut of the U6 namekians kind of dissolves any hopes that they'll be even remotely as relevant as the U6 saiyans. Whats-more, they seemed more surprised to see another namekian than Piccolo was to see them- that means he took notice of them from the beginning. I'm even more convinced they are the ones that will give Piccolo his "moment" before he gets eliminated. The NEP shows that Saonel might indeed lean towards nefarious. I thought he might be the stronger of the two because of the Vegeta/Nappa aspect of the pair, but if you think about it, Slug's the one that was the villain of a movie. Also, I think the giant form will make an appearance. (and Piccolo's going to pull a Goku and punch someone's esophagus from the inside :P )

TheOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheOne » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:09 am

Arugela wrote:I still can't understand why they didn't try to eliminate him by removing the ground and making him fall. It was shown it doesn't take a lot of strength by the guy tien fought. That would have been better than attacking directly. As Jiren can potentially fly/float that was the best chance to take him out in the show yet. The only thing I can think of was Hit didn't think it could be done fast enough for him not to get free and eliminate them all. Or he stupidly thought he could solo him as he took no thought into group work at all. He had him exactly where he should have wanted him. And that should have been using those sayians to take the rug out from under jiren by forcing him to fall out of bounds while Hit held him paralysed the entire way down.

You stay complaining about stuff. Like a child. No wonder I had you blocked.

What do you think would've happened if they tried to corner someone like jiren? If he felt like he was really going to be ringed out I guarantee you he would've broken out sooner. If those 3 Saiyans would've rushed him, there's a possibility that he could've broken out and knocked out all three Of them. Causing an even bigger issue.

The only person who thinks Hit looked stupid is you and some other complainers. Hit performed better than Goku did. You guys should've known from the beginning that Jiren was the worst possible match up for Hit when he instinctively knew where those two rocks were heading at the before the tournament started.
How i predict the tournament will end:

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:10 am

It wouldn't be too hard to explain why the other Saiyans couldn't ring Jiren out while he was frozen. He was in suspended animation, which means he theoretically couldn't be interacted with by the outside world. Of course having to include that explanation would've undermined Hit's selfless speech to the others. At the same time, him addressing them and saying "you know what you have to do" while they're that close naturally turns our brains toward thinking they can attack Jiren. A better way to avoid the problem would be if the Saiyans were too far away to help Hit, but could hear him call out to them. Maybe have Caulifla or someone breaks ranks to go help him, but arrive too late.

Basically, 105 did this same scenario but better. Both were about the old master giving a rousing speech to the younglings as they prepare to sacrifice themselves, but 105 had the decency to include a tentacle monster to keep Goku from solving the problem.
Last edited by Kataphrut on Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:33 am

Bullza wrote:
fadeddreams5 wrote:He's still a terrible character in almost every way, but as an obstacle, he's becoming interesting to watch.
Jiren isn't a terrible character. A terrible character flat out ruins a show like Pan in GT.

Jiren isn't ruining anything. He's just a so so character. He's average, which for the role he has isn't really good enough but he isn't done with so that can easily change by the end but he's definitely not in any way a terrible character.
Fine, I'll compromise and call him painfully mediocre, given his role. I really don't like his design either. All he has going for him are his ridiculous powers. He's an obstacle with legs and nothing more atm.

This episode did make him slightly more interesting when he said "Assassin's pride? What rubbish." First time he showed personality unrelated to his power.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

omaro34

Post by omaro34 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:38 am

TheOne wrote:
omaro34 wrote:Classic Dragonball concept where a former main strong opponent from a previous arc gets trumped by the current one.

They've been doing that forever. Was hoping Hit would fight Vegeta but it is what it is.
The former strong opponent actually put up a better fight than the main character.

Hit went out like a G. While I wish he would've stayed to the end, this was a better exit than anyone else so far.
Better than Roshi's? Don't be living in the moment now. Roshi went out on his own terms after exceeding everyone's expectations.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:45 am

fadeddreams5 wrote:Fine, I'll compromise and call him painfully mediocre, given his role. I really don't like his design either. All he has going for him are his ridiculous powers. He's an obstacle with legs and nothing more atm.

This episode did make him slightly more interesting when he said "Assassin's pride? What rubbish." First time he showed personality unrelated to his power.
Yeah mediocre seems about right. His character design isn't bad or an eye sore but it is generic looking. His personality, mostly nonexistent and what there is, kinda generic but those kinda characters are alright here and there.

His abilities...I don't really know, I don't know if he's got some unique ability with his eyes or not. When he attacked Goku with the Kaioken his eyes flashed and then Goku went down and they couldn't see what happened.

But later he does it against Ultra Instinct Goku and it didn't seem like an ability but that he was just incredibly fast. Which wouldn't be unique.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:47 am

omaro34 wrote:
TheOne wrote:
omaro34 wrote:Classic Dragonball concept where a former main strong opponent from a previous arc gets trumped by the current one.

They've been doing that forever. Was hoping Hit would fight Vegeta but it is what it is.
The former strong opponent actually put up a better fight than the main character.

Hit went out like a G. While I wish he would've stayed to the end, this was a better exit than anyone else so far.
Better than Roshi's? Don't be living in the moment now. Roshi went out on his own terms after exceeding everyone's expectations.
That's because people barely had any. The bar set for Roshi was really low, which made it easy do better than expected. Fans were pleasantly surprised to see him not only not get blown away by the super powers around, but put up a decent performance as well. Hit on the other hand had a lot of hype to live up to. He went from the main antagonist to a side character, and that's a palpable drop.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:48 am

Venus wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote:Hit put up a good fight but it is now up to the rest of team Universe yl6 to do the job for them.

The Namekians made a appearence and this fight seems like it is going to go over many episodes. I think they will be the last 2 from Universe 6 and I still think they are hiding something.

Jiren is going to regret being cocky.

Why did the pride troopers not knock out the Biarra and Catopesra when they need to.

Cabba is in deep trouble next episode and I do not knoe how he is going to getaway from Frieza who probably cant wait to knock him out of the arena.
The best scenario I can think of, would be that the U6 Namekians prove to be some really strong powerhouses, hence they are able to stay till the end, however getting beaten by Piccolo and Gohan, they beg Piccolo to let them merge with him in a effort to ensure the existence of the Namekian race, even if it is in a different universe.

if they play their cards well, Piccolo could easily be top tier again.
It look like they are going to gradually build them up in the next few episodes.
Last edited by namekiansaiyan on Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

avasatu
Beyond Newbie

Post by avasatu » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:04 am

MaskedRider wrote:Oh God I love Jiren more and more! "An assassins pride? What rubbish!" As I said in a previous post, Jiren lets out more of himself through fighting.

Also, I didn't see it as poor writing for the Saiyans to not help, I mean people be saying, "Oh yeah just blast him off :thumbup:"...no. If it took Goku IN ULTRA INSTINCT for a blast to push Jiren back and Hit, THE LEGENDARY ASSASSIN WHOSE FIGHTING IS FINE TUNED FOR THAT, using his trump move could not stop Jiren, the hell do you think three Saiyans who are part of the boy scouts of Sadal and the Saiyan biker gang could do anything? If Jiren got through Hit, three small fry Saiyans will be no sweat.

Now you could bring up destroying a chunk of the floor Jiren is standing on and that would be more valid but that is my opinion but who knows, Jiren leaps back up on stage through SHEER WILL. Jiren drinking that POWER THIRST but if it would actually work then wow :lol:
If I was Hit, I would have told the Saiyans "Get as far away from this guy as possible."

Why attack him? Why attack the ground? Jiren is frozen in time, anyway, so... Even Hit already knew that wouldn't work. He did not want to attack Jiren with his last ditch effort. He made that very clear, and it makes total sense. I thought this episode was actually very well-written in many aspects. I'm glad you're with me!

avasatu
Beyond Newbie

Post by avasatu » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:08 am

Bullza wrote:
fadeddreams5 wrote:Fine, I'll compromise and call him painfully mediocre, given his role. I really don't like his design either. All he has going for him are his ridiculous powers. He's an obstacle with legs and nothing more atm.

Yeah mediocre seems about right. His character design isn't bad or an eye sore but it is generic looking. His personality, mostly nonexistent and what there is, kinda generic but those kinda characters are alright here and there.

His abilities...I don't really know, I don't know if he's got some unique ability with his eyes or not. When he attacked Goku with the Kaioken his eyes flashed and then Goku went down and they couldn't see what happened.

But later he does it against Ultra Instinct Goku and it didn't seem like an ability but that he was just incredibly fast. Which wouldn't be unique.
I think he's just that fast. "He's just plain strong." I like that about Jiren. No tricks. A plain strong warrior. We haven't had that ever in this show. All the villains are too busy torturing the protagonists and letting ego get in the way, dragging things out. I find Jiren a huge breath of fresh air.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:12 am

avasatu wrote:
Bullza wrote:

I think he's just that fast. "He's just plain strong." I like that about Jiren. No tricks. A plain strong warrior. We haven't had that ever in this show. All the villains are too busy torturing the protagonists and letting ego get in the way, dragging things out. I find Jiren a huge breath of fresh air.
Jiren is literally doing that in the latest episode by "meditating" because the other fighters are not worth his time. He gave eye contact to a weakened Goku, knowing Goku has a potential that can threaten him, and ignored him. Jiren is probably the WORST case of ego we've seen in a while, given the stakes of this tournament. He can eliminate everyone in an instant, but decides to sit around and, dare I say, drag things out.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

SonReggie
Beyond Newbie

Post by SonReggie » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:22 am

TekTheNinja wrote:So Hit is out, predictably getting his shit kicked in by the inferior character and also proving once again that the "tactics are more important than power" narrative they've been pushing is bullshit because every damn time the stronger guy wins.

Damn it Super, I want to fucking like you but your writing is shit and it's hard to even care anymore.
This.

To be honest, I am becoming extremely disinterested in the ToP. What's the point anymore? When you have a character that is so OP that he KNOWS no-one else in the 'ring' is worth his time it kinda invalidates the whole thing in my opinion.
From here on, regardless of how good a fight may (or may not) be we have the fact that (whoever was fighting) couldn't beat Jiren, and that Jiren could pretty much clear the fighting stage with a thought. Seriously, personally I won't be able to view any subsequent fight without thinking 'well, they couldn't beat the personality-free walking obstacle Jiren'.

Sorry, it's only my opinion - but that is shit in it's purest form.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:25 am

Damn, Jiren is really a douchebag. It's like if he spitted on Goku's face when he said nobody was a threat while looking at him. He is way too arrogant, and this will be his downfall. He just doesn't know how much of a genius Goku is.
I wonder what Freeza's plan is, because he finally admitted he is no match for Jiren. He must be planning something to become the MVP of the ToP. Or maybe his plan is a long-term one, and right now he only cares about U7 winning the Tournament to get resurrected.
As for Hit, he went out with honor. The battle was intense, I didn't expect him to get ringed out halfway through the tournament but I guess that's what makes this show so unpredictable, and I like Super for that.
In conclusion, this episode was solid. I would rate it 8/10.
Next time it looks like Cabba will finally man up. I'm really interested, I like Cabba and I want him to have a good role in this arc. And I want some pay off for the set-up they did back in Champa Tournament.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

avasatu
Beyond Newbie

Post by avasatu » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:38 am

fadeddreams5 wrote:
avasatu wrote:
Bullza wrote:

Jiren is literally doing that in the latest episode by "meditating" because the other fighters are not worth his time. He gave eye contact to a weakened Goku, knowing Goku has a potential that can threaten him, and ignored him. Jiren is probably the WORST case of ego we've seen in a while, given the stakes of this tournament. He can eliminate everyone in an instant, but decides to sit around and, dare I say, drag things out.
That's fair. It's not the same sort of ego, though. It's kind of the opposite, in fact. Jiren is not bloodlusted with his pride, which makes it far more tolerable in my view. That said, it will inevitably be his downfall. What we really need to know is WHY Jiren is so disengaged from the tournament. I suspect we will get that answer before the end, and, depending on what that answer is, it will answer a lot of these questions.

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:39 am

Since when has it been that Goku's been disrespected out in the open like that? I love it! also Freeza saying he doesnt want to have anything to do with Jiren that he needs Goku to take Jiren out was great, he was even calm about it and gave Goku the info he needed about what happened to him.
Hit did better than Goku, he was actually close to beating Jiren, I wonder why Hit didnt just tell those 3 saiyans to kick Jiren out when he was that close to the edge.
I liked how Chanpa was mature in accepting Hit's loss, Hit went down like a badass.
Jiren's way too cocky you would have already won this whole tournament but decides to meditate instead... wtf man?
NEP I hope Freeza kicks the living hell out of Cabba and Vegeta.
PS: patiently awaits for the next Migatte no Goku'i appearance.