Do you think the tournament filled with so many jobbers was a good idea?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Zagacious
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Do you think the tournament filled with so many jobbers was a good idea?

Post by Zagacious » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:55 pm

Lionel wrote:I wouldn't have any qualms with seeing Piccolo or someone else who knows the Mafuba seal Jiren away then promptly toss him out of the arena. This tournament was supposed to embellish the underexposed elements of combat like ingenuity and ability. For the most part it's seemingly failed to live up to that expectation. I suspect that for a lot of fans watching Vegeta, Kale, or Jiren get eliminated by some dark horse underdog with a weird ability would not have sounded all too appealing, but what is it that you want? If a traditional fisticuffs battle is what you prefer then these alternative elements should not be advocated for. Personally, I would like to see more battles of the unorthodox nature as saw in the classic series like Guldo vs Krillin and Gohan.

On the original question -- maybe just a tad bit too many. You can tell that the majority of these fighters were built with the intention of being cast aside as one-note unremarkables. You have maybe a handful at best with any meaningful development; the rest are disposable pawns to prop up particular characters, mostly the Saiyans.
The Mafuba would be a good ending IMO, although it would undermine the build-up of Ultra Instinct for Goku-, you could have Goku fight Jiren again once he's got his energy back and eventually pulls off Ultra Instinct again with much greater form this time, but ultimately is still not enough and fails after a long fight and Goku is eliminated. The remaining fighters of U7 have to work together to put their energy toward sealing Jiren in the Mafuba (if group effort is possibly with Mafuba) since I think it would require a lot of energy to be able to seal someone like Jiren.

I have a feeling the Mafuba would not work on Jiren at all though, I would think with a lot of people using it at the same time then it might have an effect.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:45 pm

I'm really curious who the final 10 fighters will be at this point. It doesn't seem like there's any other stronger fighters left unless we get taken by surprise.

I wonder if it'll just be Jiren/Toppo/Dyspo, maybe Caulifa/Kale, one other guy...and then Universe 7 (someone out of Goku/Gohan/Vegeta or Freeza)

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:29 am

Lord Beerus wrote:I don't think that this fandom knows how the properly use the term "job" or "jobber".
I would only use that term for a character like Dr Rota for example.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:35 am

omaro34 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:I don't think that this fandom knows how the properly use the term "job" or "jobber".
I'd say Dr Rota was more of a gag character. But he'd certainly fit the criteria for a "jobber", too.

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:38 am

omaro34 wrote:
Rota himself ain't even a jobber. He's more accurately a joke character. The internet in general jus doesn't seem to know how to use this word, when it isn't a hard word to use. An example of jobbing would be something like Vegeta VS Recoome or Goku VS Beerus. Those fights were stomps to solely establish how great those threats were. Hitto VS Jiren wasn't jobbing from Hitto because while Jiren kicked his ass, we already knew Hitto was inferior to Jiren based on Jiren's previous fight with Goku. Hitto got destroyed but instead of jobbing he was just used to simply further show how much of a monster Jiren is.

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:40 am

Jigurashi wrote:
omaro34 wrote:
Rota himself ain't even a jobber. He's more accurately a joke character. The internet in general jus doesn't seem to know how to use this word, when it isn't a hard word to use. An example of jobbing would be something like Vegeta VS Recoome or Goku VS Beerus. Those fights were stomps to solely establish how great those threats were. Hitto VS Jiren wasn't jobbing from Hitto because while Jiren kicked his ass, we already knew Hitto was inferior to Jiren based on Jiren's previous fight with Goku. Hitto got destroyed but instead of jobbing he was just used to simply further show how much of a monster Jiren is.
They've been doing that in Dragonball forever. The former main opponent from the previous arc typically gets overwhelmed by the new opponent in the current arc. Historically speaking, that's happened before in Dragonball dating back to the original series, and you're right, it's to show the audience that there's a new sheriff in town.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:49 am

omaro34 wrote:
Jigurashi wrote:
omaro34 wrote: I would only use that term for a character like Dr Rota for example.
They've been doing that in Dragonball forever. The former main opponent from the previous arc typically gets overwhelmed by the new opponent in the current arc. Historically speaking, that's happened before in Dragonball dating back to the original series, and you're right, it's to show the audience that there's a new sheriff in town.
For better or for worse, happens all the time in DB. This formula will likely never change.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:09 pm

precita wrote:I'm really curious who the final 10 fighters will be at this point. It doesn't seem like there's any other stronger fighters left unless we get taken by surprise.

I wonder if it'll just be Jiren/Toppo/Dyspo, maybe Caulifa/Kale, one other guy...and then Universe 7 (someone out of Goku/Gohan/Vegeta or Freeza)
The new super warrior will probably be there.

This ia Toriyama so the last 10 won't be obvious.

SsjCookie
Beyond Newbie

Post by SsjCookie » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:16 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:
SsjCookie wrote:
precita wrote:In almost every ep of the TOP, someone is jobbing. It's like everyone is a jobber. The moment a character gets some spotlight, not counting Goku/Vegeta, you expect them to job in the next episode.

For example Frost got a big ep torturing Roshi. What happens in the next ep? He jobs to Freeza. Krillin had his spotlight ep, he jobs to Frost in the same ep. Tien jobbed when he didn't even know he was jobbing. Hit just jobbed to Jiren. The entire Pride Troopers but the final 3 all jobbed. The Yardrat jobbed easily to Freeza. All the "fodder" are essentially jobbers given they all get taken out easily.

It's like characters can't be taken out without being jobbers, only a few characters like Roshi have respectable exits. Here a job, there a job, everywhere a job job. I'm willing to bet the two Nameks job to Piccolo/Gohan next week.

We get it....they are all jobbers. :wink:
This made me laugh so fucking hard. You rock.
:thumbup: 8)

gohan_black
Beyond Newbie

Post by gohan_black » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:11 pm

Weakling is a word. Jobber is not a word

Cabba
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Cabba » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:08 pm

Nickolaidas wrote:
I don't think you cannot easily apply DBZ power levels to Super. Transformations to Super seem to be symbolic and have no numbers. When a character transforms it is to make you realize he's getting serious, not that he is now 50/100/10000000 times stronger. It doesn't seem to work that way anymore.

I see it like this:

Base Goku: Let's have some fun!
SSJ Goku: Wow, looks like he can take a few hits!
SSJ2 Goku: He's good! A lot better than most guys I fight!
SSJ3 Goku: I'm *really* having fun!! Wooo-hoo!
Red God Goku: Okay, time to get serious.
SSB Goku (or any latest form): Okay, now I'm *dead* serious.
Ultra Goku (or any newly acquired form): I have to literally give my heart and soul into this fight and battle like I've never battled before.
I completely agree with this, peoples obsession with multipliers never ceases to amaze me when they weren't even a thing in the anime nor the manga. The whole 50x multiplier is from guidebooks, videogames and other such promotional material
The reason why they stopped using power levels in the first place, is that they got crazy powerful to the point you cant put a number on it anymore. I still remember how when Base goku was fighting freeza piccolo siad they were both monsters out of this world