Do you think the tournament filled with so many jobbers was a good idea?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Re: Do you think the tournament filled with so many jobbers was a good idea?

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:50 pm

namekiansaiyan wrote:
GodKaio-Ken wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote:
They were introduced trying to knock Goku out so what was so bad? Gohan and Piccolo stopped them, they had a little interaction and Piccolo is excited so I can't see the problem. They will most likely be the last 2 left from team Universe 6.
How have you determined they will be the last two left? There is absolutely nothing that even remotely implies that.
Just because the next episodes are focused on the Universe 6 Saiyans. It is does not mean they will be the last 2 but this fight with the Namekians looks like it is going to go over many episodes before a focused episode to finish it.
To be honest I thought they would be near the end but the way they were introduced felt really lackluster but it could just have been the writing.

Next week we should have a good idea how strong they are and how far they go.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:03 pm

GodKaio-Ken wrote:
To be honest I thought they would be near the end but the way they were introduced felt really lackluster but it could just have been the writing.

Next week we should have a good idea how strong they are and how far they go.
They should have had them talk a bit between themselves to establish them before they went after Goku.

I want to find out more about them next week but I think that scene in the preview is the only scene we will see as the episode looks busy with the Vegeta and Cabba stuff.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:08 pm

Considering there's 80 characters, I expected more of them to be treated worse than they actually are.

I was expecting some of the more significant characters would take out some of the fodder by the few. Like Golden Frieza would fire a generic blast in one direction and then three of them would fall off or something.

You know Cabba just knocked two off like it was nothing? That, I was expecting a lot more of that.

avasatu
Beyond Newbie

Post by avasatu » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:11 pm

No. Fewer fighters per universe would have been a better choice. I do like 6 or 8 universes competing, though. Six may have been better.

As for the quality of the warriors, it actually makes sense, though it's certainly not quite as interesting as it could be otherwise. That said, this is the kind of question for which I'm unable to form a meaningful opinion until the arc is over. It depends so heavily on how the entirety of the story is handled, along with how the remainder is handled.

Totamo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Totamo » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:28 pm

avasatu wrote:No. Fewer fighters per universe would have been a better choice. I do like 6 or 8 universes competing, though. Six may have been better.

As for the quality of the warriors, it actually makes sense, though it's certainly not quite as interesting as it could be otherwise. That said, this is the kind of question for which I'm unable to form a meaningful opinion until the arc is over. It depends so heavily on how the entirety of the story is handled, along with how the remainder is handled.
How few is few? Because, if you say 3 or 4, then its going to be a saiyan fest, which everybody pretends to dislike.

Zagacious
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zagacious » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:47 pm

namekiansaiyan wrote:
precita wrote:The two Nameks might be defeated by Gohan/Piccolo within less than 10 minutes, it doesn't seem like they have a full ep. We know from the upcoming titles they're not the focus of any of the following eps either.

The two Nameks might just be jabroni's. Just like those other two guys Gohan/Piccolo beat prior. The king of jobbers.
This post definitely seems like a post that was made to deliberately annoy me.

The rules that many people seem to use to predict what is going to happen seem to be that unless directly stated, a character is useless unless they are a Saiyan.

They are not mentioned in the previews becuase they are not the focus, simple as that really. You all thought they were going in episode 111 but they did nothing.
I was hoping the Namekians would mean something too, but the way they were introduced and no one even cared Gohan and Piccolo just knocked them away easily I will be surprised if they even get 10 minutes of show time, more like another 2 minute fight randomly thrown in sometime in episodes 112-114

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:44 pm

The problem is even when characters do get a bit of hype, like the Yardrat, he still becomes a jabroni when it's his time to be eliminated.

For example we saw the Yardrat hyped up when he saved Ribrianne from Goku and co, then he was fighting Gohan easily. Then all of a sudden Freeza showed up and the yardrat became a jobber. He was jobbed even more than Steve Jobbs. So I guess build up means nothing.

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:20 am

precita wrote:The problem is even when characters do get a bit of hype, like the Yardrat, he still becomes a jabroni when it's his time to be eliminated.

For example we saw the Yardrat hyped up when he saved Ribrianne from Goku and co, then he was fighting Gohan easily. Then all of a sudden Freeza showed up and the yardrat became a jobber. He was jobbed even more than Steve Jobbs. So I guess build up means nothing.
Why do you keep using that term when you're not even using it accurately?

The_Destroyer
Regular

Post by The_Destroyer » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:01 am

I felt like every universe should have had at least 1-2 blue tiers and more fighters than are stronger than base Goku. It's ridiculous that there are still base Goku level fighters when Krillin,Tien, and Roshi are gone. Namekians shouldn't be fodder either.

And the reason I say more SSB tiers is because of the number of SSB tiers on Uni 7 team. Goku,Gohan,Vegeta, 17, Frieza are all SSB tier, yet the only worthy opponents for them are Kale,Toppo, and Dyspo. There can't be meaningful eliminations for all of them. I may be speaking too soon since the Namekian fusion, the megazord, cicadas, and Rebrianne could all end up being SSB tier, but I doubt it.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:25 am

Zagacious wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote:
precita wrote:The two Nameks might be defeated by Gohan/Piccolo within less than 10 minutes, it doesn't seem like they have a full ep. We know from the upcoming titles they're not the focus of any of the following eps either.

The two Nameks might just be jabroni's. Just like those other two guys Gohan/Piccolo beat prior. The king of jobbers.
This post definitely seems like a post that was made to deliberately annoy me.

The rules that many people seem to use to predict what is going to happen seem to be that unless directly stated, a character is useless unless they are a Saiyan.

They are not mentioned in the previews becuase they are not the focus, simple as that really. You all thought they were going in episode 111 but they did nothing.
I was hoping the Namekians would mean something too, but the way they were introduced and no one even cared Gohan and Piccolo just knocked them away easily I will be surprised if they even get 10 minutes of show time, more like another 2 minute fight randomly thrown in sometime in episodes 112-114
They are not the focus of any episode coming up as they are gradually building them up with no more than a minute an episode.
precita wrote:The problem is even when characters do get a bit of hype, like the Yardrat, he still becomes a jabroni when it's his time to be eliminated.

Many haracters that have got some hype have not done that well either. If the Namekians were that weak then why wait so long for them to be involved. They might as well have gone out a long time a go.

MaskedRider
Banned

Post by MaskedRider » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:20 am

After reading posts here and there all over threads I think people hype themselves over characters for no reason. I understand seeing a Yardrat fight for U2 and the Namekians of U6 is interesting but there was nothing really hyping them up which makes me confused, they're just characters that are there to fight for the survival of their universe...just like any other fighter. I think people are lying to themselves if they said they would want backstories for ALL fighters, would it be cool? Yeah but it would drag this arc longer than it needs to be and would probably be annoying to have a fight interrupted because -music silent- -transition to fighters past- -becomes focus of episode- TUNE IN NEXT WEEK FOR THE REST OF THE FIGHT! Personally, screw that! There has never been an indication that I SHOULD care about any characters and if I do care its because I like what they bring and who they are but that is me, if I didn't care I wouldn't like Dragon Ball.

I like that the Namekians took action in an attempt to take Goku while he is off guard without having this weird introduction, it made the whole feel like nice smooth butter when you transition from Hit vs Jiren --> Piccolo / Gohan Vs Namekians --> Vegeta vs Ribrianne which is what I wanted to see out of this tournament since day one though of course character focused episodes aren't bad but too many like this has made it feel impossible for it to feel like an actual battle royal save the first episode where everyone is going at it willy nilly and people are interfering with people's fights and coming from behind up and down and all around.

I think this was more of a rant than answering the actual topic which I would say, it was expected. I mean, I can't say it was good or bad because as one poster pointed out, this was a fight between the weakest universes so eliminations by the dime a dozen was what I was expecting going in. I would just wish we could see more of other universes besides seven knock opponents out instead of them unable being to, like we see them in the middle of fighting each other but none of them seem to knock each other out :/

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:28 am

MaskedRider wrote:After reading posts here and there all over threads I think people hype themselves over characters for no reason. I understand seeing a Yardrat fight for U2 and the Namekians of U6 is interesting but there was nothing really hyping them up which makes me confused, they're just characters that are there to fight for the survival of their universe...just like any other fighter. I think people are lying to themselves if they said they would want backstories for ALL fighters, would it be cool? Yeah but it would drag this arc longer than it needs to be and would probably be annoying to have a fight interrupted because -music silent- -transition to fighters past- -becomes focus of episode- TUNE IN NEXT WEEK FOR THE REST OF THE FIGHT! Personally, screw that! There has never been an indication that I SHOULD care about any characters and if I do care its because I like what they bring and who they are but that is me, if I didn't care I wouldn't like Dragon Ball.

I like that the Namekians took action in an attempt to take Goku while he is off guard without having this weird introduction, it made the whole feel like nice smooth butter when you transition from Hit vs Jiren --> Piccolo / Gohan Vs Namekians --> Vegeta vs Ribrianne which is what I wanted to see out of this tournament since day one though of course character focused episodes aren't bad but too many like this has made it feel impossible for it to feel like an actual battle royal save the first episode where everyone is going at it willy nilly and people are interfering with people's fights and coming from behind up and down and all around.

I think this was more of a rant than answering the actual topic which I would say, it was expected. I mean, I can't say it was good or bad because as one poster pointed out, this was a fight between the weakest universes so eliminations by the dime a dozen was what I was expecting going in. I would just wish we could see more of other universes besides seven knock opponents out instead of them unable being to, like we see them in the middle of fighting each other but none of them seem to knock each other out :/
Hye means nothing when characters like Nigrisshi and Kahseral didn't do much and neither did Frost really.

They can leave some surprises for the tournament.

MaskedRider
Banned

Post by MaskedRider » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:51 am

namekiansaiyan wrote:Hye means nothing when characters like Nigrisshi and Kahseral didn't do much and neither did Frost really.

They can leave some surprises for the tournament.
I suppose it is disappointing if you were curious about those characters, I know I was with Nigrisshi but at the same time makes it feel natural that they get eliminated instead of having plot protect them from falling off, not that I think them getting eliminated was natural in itself but to me its like, thats life, stuff happens like that sometimes. Its like having to take a drivers license test and you practiced and practiced and feel confident and in my state you have to demonstrate parallel parking and you're able to get between the cones but then you accidentally back up a bit too much and hit the rubber at the bottom of the cone and next thing you know the test is over and you have to take it again next week. Its disappointing but it happens. If that makes sense.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:15 am

I have the impression that from the very beginning the TOP was structured to be split in half, with the special being the mark that delimits the two parts. The Grand Priest's announcement and the change in scenery also indicates a shift. The first part took care of most of the lower tier fighters, and everything from now on another level. The namekians might not have received an introduction early on because it would have been weird to highlight them and then have them disappear or not do anything significant for over ten episodes. Only the saiyans girls and Hit had a role in the earlier part of the tournament.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:40 am

Michsi wrote:I have the impression that from the very beginning the TOP was structured to be split in half, with the special being the mark that delimits the two parts. The Grand Priest's announcement and the change in scenery also indicates a shift. The first part took care of most of the lower tier fighters, and everything from now on another level. The namekians might not have received an introduction early on because it would have been weird to highlight them and then have them disappear or not do anything significant for over ten episodes. Only the saiyans girls and Hit had a role in the earlier part of the tournament.
The thing that would annoy me the most is if that the Namekians are no good and they made us wait this long. Why not just get rid of them a lot earlier especially since Piccolo did not even do anything in the first half. If this happens I would have preferred if they had not included Namekians at all as it would have been a waste.

I do think it is split in to 2 halfs though and another 15 episodes just like in the first half.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:12 am

namekiansaiyan wrote:
Michsi wrote:I have the impression that from the very beginning the TOP was structured to be split in half, with the special being the mark that delimits the two parts. The Grand Priest's announcement and the change in scenery also indicates a shift. The first part took care of most of the lower tier fighters, and everything from now on another level. The namekians might not have received an introduction early on because it would have been weird to highlight them and then have them disappear or not do anything significant for over ten episodes. Only the saiyans girls and Hit had a role in the earlier part of the tournament.
The thing that would annoy me the most is if that the Namekians are no good and they made us wait this long. Why not just get rid of them a lot earlier especially since Piccolo did not even do anything in the first half. If this happens I would have preferred if they had not included Namekians at all as it would have been a waste.

I do think it is split in to 2 halfs though and another 15 episodes just like in the first half.
It all comes down to what expectations you have for each character. I seriously believe the reason Roshi's episodes were so well received is because he performed way better than anybody ever expected him to, but had he been hyped up as one the main fighters I'm pretty sure people would've been disappointed instead.

Fans are already talking about namekian god, new namekian form, etc. and while it's fun to speculate, it also sets one up for disappointment if the story does not live up to a promise it actually never made. The U6 namekians might be fun and engaging, but they could be cast aside by the fandom simply for the fact that there weren't revealed to be Goku/Vegeta level fighters.
I am little more excited now that I know who voices Saonel, so investing in a somewhat more prominent VA instead of using someone they already have on their payroll (like in Pilina's case) might mean they do want this character to stand out a little more. Doesn't mean he'll be a heavy hitter, but probably more than a throw away character.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:36 am

Michsi wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote:

It all comes down to what expectations you have for each character. I seriously believe the reason Roshi's episodes were so well received is because he performed way better than anybody ever expected him to, but had he been hyped up as one the main fighters I'm pretty sure people would've been disappointed instead.

Fans are already talking about namekian god, new namekian form, etc. and while it's fun to speculate, it also sets one up for disappointment if the story does not live up to a promise it actually never made. The U6 namekians might be fun and engaging, but they could be cast aside by the fandom simply for the fact that there weren't revealed to be Goku/Vegeta level fighters.
I am little more excited now that I know who voices Saonel, so investing in a somewhat more prominent VA instead of using someone they already have on their payroll (like in Pilina's case) might mean they do want this character to stand out a little more. Doesn't mean he'll be a heavy hitter, but probably more than a throw away character.
I am hyped becuase they have taken a long time to reveal them and they lasted longer than Hit but I am confused at the timing of the fight. It starts in the episode Jiren fights Hit and is going to continue through the Saiyan focused episodes. This seems simlar to what they are doing with Ribrianne.

You mention the voice actors nd that has just made me think fusion is more likely.

I hate that everyone compares everyone to SSB but when I mention that anyone that strong is no good either because Ultra Instict Goku and Jiren are way stronger I get ignored.

Venus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Venus » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:44 am

namekiansaiyan wrote:
gohan_black wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote:Stop using that stupid word.

How can you even possibly judge the Namekians yet?
he has a valid point about the namekians. the way they were intreduced. you know for sure they are there to fill time
They were introduced trying to knock Goku out so what was so bad? Gohan and Piccolo stopped them, they had a little interaction and Piccolo is excited so I can't see the problem. They will most likely be the last 2 left from team Universe 6.
Plus, they used a new ost, and the way they draw that one frame of Piccolo smiling, I can't think of anything else but hype.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:52 am

namekiansaiyan wrote:
I am hyped becuase they have taken a long time to reveal them and they lasted longer than Hit but I am confused at the timing of the fight. It starts in the episode Jiren fights Hit and is going to continue through the Saiyan focused episodes. This seems simlar to what they are doing with Ribrianne.

You mention the voice actors nd that has just made me think fusion is more likely.

I hate that everyone compares everyone to SSB but when I mention that anyone that strong is no good either because Ultra Instict Goku and Jiren are way stronger I get ignored.

It's because there was little to no fanfare accompanying their first appearance, with Goku not even so much as turning around (I'm sure he sensed them) to acknowledge their presence that the hype around them has died down somewhat. I too think they'll stick around for a little longer, but doubt they'll be as relevant overall as, say, Ribrianne. Sadly.

I'm not sure what to think about the fusion idea - I still hope it's not the case, but we also know that they do love their callbacks.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:04 am

Venus wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote:
gohan_black wrote:
he has a valid point about the namekians. the way they were intreduced. you know for sure they are there to fill time
Plus, they used a new ost, and the way they draw that one frame of Piccolo smiling, I can't think of anything else but hype.
Is a new ost a good thing? Do they do that often for most new chatacyers or only certain characters? I don't really onow much about these things.
Michsi wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote:

It's because there was little to no fanfare accompanying their first appearance, with Goku not even so much as turning around (I'm sure he sensed them) to acknowledge their presence that the hype around them has died down somewhat. I too think they'll stick around for a little longer, but doubt they'll be as relevant overall as, say, Ribrianne. Sadly.

I'm not sure what to think about the fusion idea - I still hope it's not the case, but we also know that they do love their callbacks.
Toei can't use fusion as a callback as that destroys a character, it would definitely have to come from Toriyama.