Starting poses?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MaskedRider
Banned

Starting poses?

Post by MaskedRider » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:35 am

Curious, would anyone happen to be enlightened on the subject of the poses that Hit and Jiren do and if they hold any significance to who they are and their fighting style in relation to real world martial arts, I ask because I remember someone explaining Future Trunks flashy hand signals back when he shot at Freeza and I thought that was fascinating. Other poses welcomed, these two just come to mind.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Re: Starting poses?

Post by JazzMazz » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:12 am

MaskedRider wrote:Curious, would anyone happen to be enlightened on the subject of the poses that Hit and Jiren do and if they hold any significance to who they are and their fighting style in relation to real world martial arts, I ask because I remember someone explaining Future Trunks flashy hand signals back when he shot at Freeza and I thought that was fascinating. Other poses welcomed, these two just come to mind.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
The first is apparently used by Hit because it has no openings and best allows him to utilize his time-skip.

Jirens is him preparing to throw a wind gust.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:28 am

When Hit first fights Vegeta in the Universe 6 tournament, Vegeta says something about his fighting stance being "basic". Given Hit's ability, either he never needed to use anything more "advanced" or he does it to make opponents underestimate him. It looks similar a boxing stance.

As for Jiren, I think that's just preparation for his Texas Smash.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:27 pm

I think Hit's pose there was described as being the "Phoenix Eye Fist", which is part of Wing Chun Kung Fu if I'm not mistaken. The emphasis of the style is concentrating energy and force by curling the fingers to rely upon the harder joints which you then use to strike at the vulnerable areas of the body like the temple, eyes, and neck. Notice how Hit neglected to use this style as he was battling Jiren in the recent episode. Why could that be? Personally, I think Kyushojitsu would have put a damper on Jiren's "invincibility" impression since external concussive power isn't really the focus of internal based martial arts. You strike at these regions and you're liable to cause a considerable amount of damage to the internal body, including things like respiratory breathing and visual perception. Hit's temporal cage trump card manoeuvre had the makings of a strike to what looks like the heart, but he most likely only concentrated his focus and energies towards containing Jiren. If he had aimed directly for the heart then Jiren may have been killed. Given the circumstances of the tournament, though, sacrificing Hit in exchange for Jiren may not have been a bad trade off. For Champa and Universe 6, they would have lost their best fighter and would have to place the survival of their universe on the shoulders of the Saiyans.

I'm not sure what Jiren's style is. Nothing about him appears to be particularly impressive.