Yamcha beats Vegeta in a poll

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Olympian
Regular

Re: Yamcha beats Vegeta in a poll

Post by Olympian » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:34 am

Nothing really worth noting, not a single one of the others have a death pose that`s been milked in different shows and properties over the years. It`s an easy win.

Fandom is fickle depending the question. There were two small polls about the TOP around the time Freeza came in asking 1) who do you like the most out of the team and 2) who do you think is missing. Both Freeza and Yamcha won their respectively polls around the same number of voters.
Ki Breaker wrote:

Yamcha + Roshi = Yamoshi

Coincidence? I think not

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:47 am

This alone should give Toriyama plenty motivation to get Yamcha climb up the power ladder..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:58 am

Ki Breaker wrote:This alone should give Toriyama plenty motivation to get Yamcha climb up the power ladder..
I highly doubt he cares about a poll done on Crunchyroll with so few votes.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:05 am

TekTheNinja wrote:
DragonBallFoodie wrote:http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2 ... good-fight

"Top 10 Anime Characters Who Talk a Good Fight"... but are utter shit in combat.

1 - Yamcha
3 - Vegeta

Poor Yamcha, I really feel sorry for him :( .

He really deserves better, and I hope DBS gives him an opportunity to do something spectacular similar to Krillin, Tien and Roshi getting their moment of glory at the ToP.
Well the problem there is that the tournament gave Roshi an great moment, gave Krillin a somewhat decent one, and gave Tenshinhan a shitty one. With that, I fear my probably favorite human is doomed to simply being a damn butt of jokes in Super.
To be fair, he was the butt of jokes since Dragon Ball, only now they're more transparent about it.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:12 am

Kinokima wrote:
Ki Breaker wrote:This alone should give Toriyama plenty motivation to get Yamcha climb up the power ladder..
Wasn't being serious here but now that we are on the subject, if somehow word gets to Toriyama a character is expected to lose by a landslide, history suggests something other than that is almost certainly gonna happen..

But then again Yamcha manga is doing Yacmha wonders combined with the fact Toriyama has more or less abondened Yacmha, so it's never entirely in Yamcha's favor even if the conditions were to be met..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Whatever
Regular

Post by Whatever » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:23 am

Ki Breaker wrote:
Kinokima wrote:
Wasn't being serious here but now that we are on the subject, if somehow word gets to Toriyama a character is expected to lose by a landslide, history suggests something other than that is almost certainly gonna happen..

But then again Yamcha manga is doing Yacmha wonders combined with the fact Toriyama has more or less abondened Yacmha, so it's never entirely in Yamcha's favor even if the conditions were to be met..
Yamcha manga is about a horny teenager that becomes a better Yamcha than Yamcha himself........people keep saying that but how is that doing Yamcha any favors?

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:25 am

Whatever wrote:
Ki Breaker wrote:
Kinokima wrote:

Yamcha manga is about a horny teenager that becomes a better Yamcha than Yamcha himself........people keep saying that but how is that doing Yamcha any favors?
Him not dying from the saibamen is a huge deal, he isn't any chump there either..
Way better than what the original guy got..

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:53 am

Ki Breaker wrote:
Kinokima wrote:

Besides Kuririn the human fighters have been abandoned a long time ago. Although I will give Super credit for Roshi. He is very far from my favorite character but I love how he was handled in the TOP.

Though I think the main problem with characters like Yamcha and Tien is not that they are weak (they aren't weak for humans at all) it's that Toriyama never established meaningful relationships for them that connect them to the main plot. When Yamcha lost Bulma then there wasn't much else for his character. In Dragon Ball these characters were relevant but they just aren't anymore. Is there a way to make them relevant again? Maybe but it has to involve more than making them stronger.

TekTheNinja
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TekTheNinja » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:41 pm

And you know, Vegeta actually fits this description a lot more than Yamcha. Like, talking a big game and then jobbing is kinda Veggie's thing.

Olympian
Regular

Post by Olympian » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:35 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:
TekTheNinja wrote:
DragonBallFoodie wrote:http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2 ... good-fight

"Top 10 Anime Characters Who Talk a Good Fight"... but are utter shit in combat.

1 - Yamcha
3 - Vegeta

Poor Yamcha, I really feel sorry for him :( .

He really deserves better, and I hope DBS gives him an opportunity to do something spectacular similar to Krillin, Tien and Roshi getting their moment of glory at the ToP.
Well the problem there is that the tournament gave Roshi an great moment, gave Krillin a somewhat decent one, and gave Tenshinhan a shitty one. With that, I fear my probably favorite human is doomed to simply being a damn butt of jokes in Super.
To be fair, he was the butt of jokes since Dragon Ball, only now they're more transparent about it.
To be fair, that`s not unique. Roshi and Kuririn were the butt of jokes as much as he was. It never detered from him being actually skilled.

Point is, he was the main jobber before Vegita but with the disadvantage of not being a Saiyan. Add that up with losing relevance when the older cast sat in the bench after Cell ends and voila.
Last edited by Olympian on Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ki Breaker wrote:

Yamcha + Roshi = Yamoshi

Coincidence? I think not

Olympian
Regular

Post by Olympian » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:44 pm

He gets money out of milking his death pose anyway. Where is the motivation? Something happened between re-using the likeness (Yamcha wouldn`t be the first of the type, Mr:O came before him and so did Dr Slump) to pretty much stop caring for that type of character.

If Yamcha ever leaves retirement and fights again I almost bet it will be under this new generation of writers/producers, not Toryama.
Ki Breaker wrote:

Yamcha + Roshi = Yamoshi

Coincidence? I think not

Whatever
Regular

Post by Whatever » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:16 pm

Ki Breaker wrote:
Whatever wrote:
Ki Breaker wrote: Wasn't being serious here but now that we are on the subject, if somehow word gets to Toriyama a character is expected to lose by a landslide, history suggests something other than that is almost certainly gonna happen..

Him not dying from the saibamen is a huge deal, he isn't any chump there either..
Way better than what the original guy got..
Yeah but all of those things you mentioned are the teeanager's accomplishment's,not Yamcha's.
Thats like giving Vegeta credit for beating ssj3 goku twice just because Baby was using his body.